There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.
Show / Hide Guide Road Map
Estimated achievement difficulty: 4.5/10 (Depends on Luck & Skill)
Offline: 12 (200)
Online: 0 (0)
Approximate amount of time to 200: 5+ hours
Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2+
Number of missable achievements: None
Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No Cheats
Does difficulty affect achievements?: No (No Difficulty Setting)
Glitchy achievements: None
Unobtainable achievements: None
Extra equipment needed?: None (Patience?)
Intro & Preface
Developed by Konami in 1985, Yie Ar Kung Fu is an Arcade style fighting game where you play as Oolong, a martial arts fighter challenging for the world championship in a tournament. You face 11 opponents in the game that you face in succession, competing for the highest score possible until you lose all lives. Both hand-to-hand and projectile attacks are used by opponents as well as different martial arts styles. Combinations of buttons and d-pad movements enable different types of attacks in jumping, crouching and standing positions. Whenever you land an attack you will see a red spark and whenever your opponents lands an attack on you there will be a purple spark. The achievements for Yie Ar Kung Fu can be done in a matter of hours but you will need to learn how to defeat the final 2 opponents consistently in order to max the game out to the full 200.
1st Step: Arcade Playthrough
Your first arcade run will involve you learning how to play the game and obtaining unmissables along the way. Use the punch() and kick() buttons to take down you opponents followed by any directional buttons. There are 11 opponents in all and the game doesn't end until you lose all your lives. The 11 opponents will continue to loop upon defeating the 11th one named Blues. If you're unsure how to defeat some of them simply follow the Invincible solution and video to guide you. You should get the following by the time you lose all of your lives:
2nd Step: Misc. Achievements
Take this time to try and grab up some of the miscellaneous achievements via multiple Arcade start ups. You will need to use all of the Punch and Kick attacks in their own respective matches, destroy 15 stars in the 2nd fight, defeat 3 opponents with only 1 block of health, and obtain at least 1 Perfect. Also, if you haven't acquired 200,000 points yet then it would be a good idea to do so in this step.
Fists of Fury
Feet of Fury
3rd Step: Invincible Playthrough
This will be your Invincible run. By now you should know the tricks to beating all 11 opponents consistently so follow through with those methods and with some luck you will defeat them all without ever losing a life. Big Score may also be possibly unlocked in this step if you get some Perfects or continue to rack up points be defeating opponents even after Blues:
Yie Ar Kung Fu is seriously not that hard. While the opponents may appear cheap at first, when you get the hang of the methods to beating them you'll have 200 in no time. Now you are Martial Arts Champion.
[x360a would like to thank ChoZen 1 for this Roadmap]
Star is the 2nd opponent in the game and you will face her right after defeating Buchu. This unlocks once you have depleted all 8 blocks of health.
The most practical strategy against Star is to jump in on her and use your Torward + Kick attack. Stay in close on her because throughout the fight she will throw high and low shuriken stars at you. The stars can easily be avoided by jumping away from them or by attacking them with a properly timed attack. See the Big Score Solution for details on destroying her stars with attacks. You don't necessarily have to jump toward her to get close you can also carefully pace toward her and use press Toward + Kick just be prepared to dodge or destroy any stars she tosses at you.
This unlocks upon defeating Feedle, the 5th opponent in the game. You will face him right after defeating Pole. Once you defeat him and his minions they will scurry away like the cowards they are and then this will unlock.
This is more of a Bonus stage where you must defeat Feedle and his team of clones, there are 10 in all. They will come at you from the left and right side of the screen and you will have to fend them off by pressing Toward them + Kick, Punch may also work. Each clone only requires one hit in order to be defeated. Focus on the ones that are closest to you because if you don't time the kick properly you will lose health. It can be fairly easy to pick up the Perfection achievement here if you're quick enough.
Defeat 3 or more opponents when you have only 1 health remaining.
As the name of the achievement implies you must win 3 fights within one playthrough where you are left with only 1 block of health, on the edge of defeat. So find 3 of the 11 opponents in the game that you are certain you can defeat once you only have 1 block of health left then finish them off. You can either try to get this on some of the easier opponents such as:
Or you can just try to knock this achievement out by attempting it on the first 3 opponents in the game: Buchu, Star, and Nuncha. This is totally up to you and your playing preference.
Obviously you can just go about defeating the opponents using the common methods like usual and intentionally wait until they have 1 block of health left then allow them to get free hits on you until you yourself have 1 block of health left. After that deal the finishing blow. If you happen to get Knocked-out while doing this don't worry as you may use a Continue and try again. Remember, this must be done all in 1 arcade playthrough.
Fan is the 8th opponent that you face in the game and similar to Star, she likes to throw projectiles at you this time in the form of fans.
Fan can be a bit intimidating first because of the array of fans she will toss over at you but don't let this throw you off. Simply jump after her as she paces back and forth and try to hit some low kicks on her with . She may scurry away from you before it connects at times but after a while your kicks will connect and she will eventually go down. Just be sure to never jump in front of her because her fans are launched upwards at first before falling down and you may get hit by them.
Tonfun is the 10th opponent in the game is often considered the toughest to defeat consistently. There may not be a 100% effecient strategy to beat him, but there are tricks that come close enough to it. Setting him up is the trickiest part to beating him.
Tonfun is possibly a more faster and agile version of Pole. He will scurry back and forth and pop you in the head with his Tonfun at his leisure. The best way I have found to take him down is to start the fight out crouching and waiting for him to get close. Once he is near jump to the right side of the screen, Tonfun will back up the same direction once you do. As you land quickly hit a Low Kick attack then immediately jump to the left side of the screen. The kick may hit or miss, but that's why you jump to the left and he will follow you again as you try to hit a Low kick again. Immediately jump to the right and repeat this method. It's really all about how you time your initial jump in the beginning because if done properly the kick will connect everytime and you may even Perfect him. Obviously setting Tonfun up is the hardest part to defeating him.
Blues is the 11th and Final opponent in all of Yie Ar Kung Fu. He is Oolong's evil double if you will and defeating him will unlock this achievement.
Blues fights just like Oolong, but that doesn't mean he is unbeatable. You'll want to make use of the "Punch and Jump" strategy against him at first. Use your Splits Punch move by pressing Down/Away + Punch as he gets close then quickly jump to the opposite side of the screen. Continue this until he has around 3 blocks of health. As the fight drags on Blues will become more and more aggressive. The last 3 hits are always the trickiest. This is where you must be careful about how you hit him. You should be able to hit a final Splits punch on him to where he will go into Fury Mode and attack at will. This is your chance to get in close to him and mash out any attack you can and hope you hit him twice before you takes you down. I found that Oolong's Away/Up + Kick move works well toward the end of this fight as well.
Mutliple ways of unlocking this but you will likely get it naturally down the line. You can possibly unlock it by getting Perfects on several opponents throughout the game and obtain this by the bonuses + overall score alone. This achievement can also possibly be unlocked naturally so long as you don't use up all of your lives, any opponents you defeat will add to your score. As you may know by now, Yie Ar Kung Fu never ends until you use up all your lives, so it's more of a Survival game were you defeat the same 11 opponents over and over to try and achieve the highest score possible. You will also unlock this naturally while going for Invincible. There is also a method you can use when facing Star.
Start up arcade mode and defeat Buchu this will take you to Star, the 2nd opponent in the game. Apparently whenever you destroy a star she throws at you with an attack you will receive 500 score points. Now the tricky part to this is timing and using the proper attack to destroy these stars as some are high and some are low. If she throws a low star, destroy it by pressing Toward/Down + . If it's a High star then use Away + to destroy it with a kick. For the Middle stars, those can be destroyed with Oolong's Toward + attack. She will also throw stars at different speeds, some close together, while some far apart. Be smart about which ones you destroy because at times it may be smarter to avoid them. Great thing about this method is that you will rack up lives every 60,000 or so points so even if you get killed by the stars you can continue and destroy them more until you get 200,000 for the achievement.
As the achievement states get a Perfect on any opponent in the game, win without taking any damage. There are 2 opponents in the game that are easiest to get a Perfect on: Buchu and Feedle. Refer to the Invincible solution on the best Strategies for obtaining a Perfect on them.
Toughest achievement in Yie Ar Kung Fu here. This one basically requires you to defeat all 11 opponents in the game without ever losing a match. Although this may sound like a daunting task at first hand, once you get a bit of practice in and learn the startegy to beat all 11 of them you will unlock this achievement with time. Each opponent basically has a trick that you can use in order to defeat them. Below is a simple strategy for each opponent:
1. Buchu- Defeat him by normal means. Usually he will start out the fight by flying towards you. Crouch under this and he will end up in the corner. Now hold the direction towards him and rapidly press Kick to bring him down. If you're lucky you will Perfect him for the Perfection achievement here. If he gets away Just get close and mash Toward + Kick until he's finished.
2. Star- Distance is your enemy in this bout. So get in close by jumping in towards her. Her throwing stars are slow so you can take them out with well timed attacks if you want or simply jump up to avoid them. Basically just take her down with Toward Kicks like Buchu and she will eventually go down. Just make sure you stay close. Be sure to finish her quickly because if the fight drags on she will throw more stars at you.
3. Nuncha- Very easy fight here. Start it out by jumping towards Nucha then just spam Down/Toward + Kick. If he moves then jump after him and repeat this move until he is down.
4. Pole- Another simple fight. Jump towards him then hold down. Now spam the kick button. He will walk into this move until he is knocked out.
5. Feedle- Bonus Stage. Bulky bald guys will walk towards you from the left and right. All you have to do is press toward them and kick as they near you. Don't let them get too close. An alternative attack is Toward + Punch it works just as well.
6. Chain- Just like the Star fight you want to stay close to this guy and hit him with different low kicks. So jump towards him and hit low kicks until he falls out. He will pace back and forth and try to hit you with his chain. Just keep jumping after him left and right and use low kicks until he's down. I found that the diagonal kick you used against Nuncha works best here.
7. Club- This can be a stressful fight because it takes proper timing. Start the fight off by backing left into the corner. As Club approaches you get ready to press Away/Up + Punch once he is about to attck you. He will stop walking when he's about to attack so quickly hit this punch move when you see his legs stop moving. If timed right you'll hit him everytime. It's okay if you mess up the timing as you have an 8-block window of health. Repeat until he is knocked out.
8. Fan- Don't be intimidated by her fans. Just keep jumping left and right after her and try to land some Toward/Down kicks on her. She will keep pacing left and right and tossing fans so just stay on her with kicks and you will win.
9. Sword- Time consuming fight here. Look at the temple in the background, position yourself below the black door then jump straight up. Keep jumping upwards and press Down + Kick when you land. If you're lucky he'll walk into some of the kicks until he is down. If he keeps hitting you then back up a bit more and continue to jump and do two kicks every time you land, then jump again, repeat.
10. Tonfun- Most difficult fight thus far. Tonfun will pace back and forth and pop you in the head if you get close to him. Whatever you do, never go at him head one, you will lose every time. Best strategy I have seen to him is to start the fight by crouching and pressing punch. Once he gets close jump to the right, if done properly, you will be able to hit a low kick on him once you land. Once you land, hit or miss, immediately jump to the left and try to hit him, then immediately jump to the right, repeat these tactics. He will basically brush past you and you'll be able to hit a Toward/Down + Kick attack as he makes his way to the left. You have to zone him just right in order for this to work so practice this until you have it down before attempting Invincible.
11. Blues- Championship match here. This may also take pure luck. Use Oolong's Splits punch which is done by pressing Away/Down + Punch. Wait for Blues to get close then carefully hit this move, after that quickly jump to the opposite side of the screen. Wait for him to get close then hit the Splits punch again. Once his health is low, Blues will become increasingly rapid and more ferocious. I found that you can get extra hits on him if you get yourself in a corner and do a Away/Up + Kick. After that just mash attacks on him like crazy and hope you get his last 2 blocks of health down. Depending on how much health you have by this point, it will increase your chances of finishing him off.
There is also an old video of this being done which is also found below.
Because there is so much trial and error involved with this please take your time with this achievement. Most people tend to struggle against Tonfun and Blues so follow the tricks given here and in the video closely. Sometimes it will come down to luck and wits but you can also refer to some of the posts in THIS thread if you get too flustered. Just remain poised and you will get this with time.
Destroy 15 of Star's stars in one bout by hitting them in mid-air.
After defeating the 1st opponent, Buchu you will be pitted against a 2nd opponent named Stars. In this fight, she will throw stars at you in different intervals, some high and some low. What you need to do here is destroy these stars by attacking them with specific attacks. If timed properly there will be a red spark and you will destroy it. These attacks must be timed just right or else you will take damage and a purple spark will show. Use the follwing attacks to destroy these stars at different heights:
High Star: Destroy with Away + Kick attack
Medium Star: Destroy with Toward + Kick
Low Star: Destroy with Down + Punch attack
Sometimes this doesn't unlock after destroying 15 for some reason. It may be because you're not allowed to get hit up to 15 but at any rate just keep at it because you can possibly unlock Big Score with this method. This isn't glitched or anything but there have been reports of it taking a while to unlock so if you die just repeat until it unlocks.
Connect at least once with every type of punch during a single bout.
There are 8 types of Punches in the game and they can all be performed by pressing along with any of the directions including the diagonal ones. There are 2 ways to perform attacks in Yie Ar Kung Fu. You can either hold the punch button down and move the d-pad in one of eight directions or hold a direction that doesn't make you jump and press the punch button. Below is a list of how to perform each type of punch:
is / +
is / +
is / +
Easiest way to unlock this is start up Arcade mode and try to hit each of the 8 Punch attacks on Buchu, the 1st opponent in the game. If you accidently hit him with one of these same punch attacks more than once then you must start over. Buchu only has 8 blocks of health so you can only afford to hit each of these once. Once you defeat him it should unlock if done properly.
Also, it's impossible to get both the Fist of Fury and Feet of Fury achievement in one match so quit out once you get one and play Stage 1 against Buchu again for the other one.
Connect at least once with every type of kick during a single bout.
There are 8 types of Kick in the game and they can all be performed by pressing along with any of the directions including the diagonal ones. There are 2 ways to perform attacks in Yie Ar Kung Fu. You can either hold the kick button down and move the d-pad in one of eight directions or hold a direction that doesn't make you jump and press the kick button. Below is a list of how to perform each type of kick:
is / +
is / +
is / +
Easiest way to unlock this is start up Arcade mode and try to hit each of the 8 Kick attacks on Buchu. If you accidently hit him with one of these same kick attacks more than once then you must start over. Bucui only has 8 blocks of health so you can only afford to hit each of these once. Once you defeat him it should unlock if done properly.