Xbox Live and Xbox 360 Super Guide/FAQ!

JC

Hi there, my name is JC. I have compiled this FAQ as there are many threads regarding these issues, so this will hopefully cut down on them as people can seek out answers here from a main hub.

I hope you find this useful and interesting and most importantly, enjoyable!

Contents:

1. How do I change my Windows Live ID associated with my Live account?

2. Can I stack Live Subscriptions (Eg: 3 Month Gold, 12 Month Gold)?

3. How many people can I have on my Friends List?

4. Why can't I download M rated content?

5. Why can't I download free content off the Marketplace if I have a Silver Account?

6. Can I merge my Account with another Account, as one has Gold but the other one has my Gamerscore and/or saves on it?

7. Do Original Xbox games off the Marketplace have achievements?

8. Can I use one Gold Subscription for two Accounts/Gamertags?

9. Can I delete games/trial XBLA games off "My Games" list?

10. If I put Family Settings on 1 Account/Gamertag, will the Family

Settings apply to all Accounts/Gamertags on that console?

11. How do I remove my Credit Card/Billing Details off my Account?

12. I can't recover my account, is there something wrong?

13. I just brought some Microsoft Points, but they don't work?

14. My Reputation is really low, will I be banned soon?

15. Just got an Elite, but how do I transfer the content of my old HDD to the new 120GB HDD?

16. I don't want people to see my Friends List, how do I turn the Friends of Friends feature off?

17. Where do I find that ....... Gamerpic?

18. Who has the highest Gamerscore/most Gamerpoints?

19. I just redeemed a 48 - Hour Gold Trial code, but my Gamercard is still Silver and I still cannot download free content?

20. I am a Parent and me and my Family love gaming, is there a forum for us?

21. I just paid 800 Microsoft Points to edit in a Capital letter at the beginning of my Gamertag, on the console it shows up, but on Xbox.com it is still lower - case?

22. Can I edit my age so I can get an Adult Account?

23. My NAT is coming up as Strict/Moderate, and it is hindering my enjoyment on Xbox Live. How do I open it?

24. How do I promote my Child Account to an Adult Account?

Answers:

1. How do I change my Windows Live ID associated with my Live account?

Firstly, go on to the Dashboard. Then click on your Gamertag, then "Account Management". In Account Management, click on "Windows Live ID". Then click "Change Windows Live ID". Go through the steps and by he end you will have changed your Windows Live ID.

Also, HERE are some photos showing what to do, provided by Major Nelson.

2. Can I stack Live Subscriptions?

You can stack Live Subscriptions up to 36 months or 3 years. This includes 1 Month, 3 Month, 12 Month(+1) and 48 - Hour Gold Cards.

3. How many people can I have on my Friends List?

You can have a maximum of 100 Friends on your Friends List at any one time. Also when you have 100 Friends, you will no longer be able to receive Friend Invites from other people, so bear that in mind.

4. Why can't I download M rated content?

If you have a Child Account, you will not be able to download any M rated content off the Marketplace. This is not an issue or a mistake, it is a feature bought in by Microsoft in the 2007 Fall Update. You will need to wait until you are 18 years of age. At 18 you will be able to promote (see answer 24) your Account to an Adult one. With an Adult Account, you will be able to download M rated content.

5. Why can't I download free content off the Marketplace if I have a Silver Account?

As a Silver member, you have to wait a few days after the release of free content before you will be able to download it off the Marketplace. This makes the upgrade to Gold even more appealing. This feature was bought in with the 2007 Fall Update.

6. Can I merge my Account with another Account, as one has Gold but the other one has my Gamerscore and/or saves on it?

Unfortunately, you cannot merge accounts together. You will just have to use both accounts separately or decide to use one only.

7. Do Original Xbox games off the Marketplace have achievements?

No, the Original Xbox games that are available to download off the Marketplace do not come with achievements. They are just a straight port of the game.

8. Can I use one Gold Subscription for two Accounts/Gamertags?

No, you will need a separate Gold Subscription for each Account/Gamertag you want to have Gold. So for example, you will need two Gold Subscriptions for two Accounts/Gamertags.

9. Can I delete games/trial XBLA games off "My Games" list?

You can delete retail and XBLA games with 0G on them, on your Xbox 360, go to your list of played games, scroll down to the game and press X to delete the game. Though since the Fall Update (Dec. 5th 2007), all XBLA trials you play will not show up on your "My Games" list.

10. If I put Family Settings on 1 Account/Gamertag, will the Family Settings apply to all Accounts/Gamertags on that console?

Enabling Family Settings on one Account will not enable Family Settings on any other Accounts/Gamertags on that console. So, say you wanted Family Settings on multiple Account/Gamertags, then you will need to configure them all separately.

11. How do I remove my Credit Card/Billing Details off my Account?

The only way to remove Credit Card/Billing Details of your Account/Gamertag is to call up Microsoft Customer Support and request it to be removed. It will then take about 7-10 days for the details to be removed.

Customer Support:

• UK= 0800 587 1102
  • US= 1800-4-MY-XBOX
  • CA= 1-800-4MY-XBOX

12. I can't recover my account, is there something wrong?

Account Recovery works fine most of the time, but sometimes it will not work. The best thing to do is wait a few hours then try again, it even prompts you to do this on - screen.

Also, if you are a frequent user of Account Recovery, then I suggest purchasing a Memory Unit. This will allow you to put your Account/Gamertag on it and move it around easily.

13. I just brought some Microsoft Points, but they don't work?

Firstly, Microsoft Points are region - coded, so make sure you buy them from the continent/country you are from.

You may also be typing the code in incorrectly. So get someone else to try, as another pair of eyes works wonders.

If you get an error code after entering the code, then read this:

• "If you see an error message along with status code 801613fb, you need to go back to the store and make sure the card has been activated."
  • "If you see an error message along with status code 80169d94, you need to verify all billing details on your account are filled out completely, correctly and are up to date."

Quoted from Lucky 13 X, Xbox Support Agent.

14. My Reputation is really low, will I be banned soon?

You cannot be banned for having a low Reputation. You can only be banned due to others if they file a complaint against you. But if you have low rep, then you should ask yourself why, and perhaps improve your behaviour on Live.

15. Just got an Elite, but how do I transfer the content of my old HDD to the new 120GB HDD?

You will need to get a Data Transfer Cable from Microsoft. This page HERE has more details. It can take about 3-4 weeks for the cable to arrive.

But if you get the 120GB HDD on its own, then a Data Transfer Cable is provided in the box.

16. I don't want people to see my Friends List, how do I turn the Friends of Friends feature off?

You can turn the FoF feature Off and On HERE. There is also a setting called "Friends Only", which means only friends can see your friends.

Edited by JC
Update NXE

17. Where do I find that ....... Gamerpic?

If you are having trouble finding the location of a certain Gamerpic on Marketplace, then you can hover your mouse over it on a persons profile on Xbox.com to see what Picture Pack it is from.

You could also ask a gamer who has it where they got it from. Even consulting your friends list could get you answers.

But the easiest way to do it is by using the Gamerpic Scout on MGC. There you can search for Gamerpics using keywords.

18. Who has the highest Gamerscore/most Gamerpoints?

The Gamerscore leaderboard can be found HERE on MGC. Though this leaderboard does contain Gamesavers and hackers.

The leaderboard HERE is a 'Gamesaverless' one compiled by x360a member and moderator Kaens. All the gamers there obtained their Gamerpoints legitimately.

19. I just redeemed a 48 - Hour Gold Trial code, but my Gamercard is still Silver and I still cannot download free content?

When you use a 48 - hour Gold Trial, your Gamercard will remain a Silver even though you have th benefit of playing online. Also, even though you are a 'temporary' Gold, you will still not be able to access free content off the Marketplace when it is released. You will have to wait a few days, as if you were still a Silver.

20. I am a Parent and me and my Family love gaming, is there a forum for us?

Yes, there is a relatively new forum right HERE for Gamerparents on the Xbox.com forums. You can also discuss family gaming there too.

There is yet to be one made here on the x360a forums, perhaps there will be one someday.

21. I just paid 800 Microsoft Points to edit in a Capital letter at the beginning of my Gamertag, on the console it shows up, but here on the forums it is still lower - case?

This is a issue on Xbox.com, if there is a Capital at the beginning of a word in your Gamertag, then sometimes it will show up as a lower - case on Xbox.com. Even though it will show up correctly on your 360. If you try and change it to a Capital again, it will be a waste of 800 Microsoft Points. But hopefully this will be fixed soon.

22. Can I edit my age so I can get an Adult Account?

No, you cannot edit your age to make your Account an Adult one. Apart from the fact that it does not work, it is also against the Xbox Live Terms of Use (ToU).

23. My NAT is coming up as Strict/Moderate, and it is hindering my enjoyment on Xbox Live. How do I open it?

Many people have problems with NAT. For the best advice, I suggest reading this page of XboxLivetheGuide.

24. How do I promote my Child Account to an Adult Account?

If you are over 18 and have a Child Account, then you will be able to promote it to an Adult Account and reap all the benefits that come with it. (Ads on Dashboard, ability to download M rated content...etc).

To promote your account on your 360, go to Marketplace Blade > Account Management. There, provided you entered the correct DOB when signing up for Live, you should see the option to "Promote Child Account" if you are over 18.

HERE are some photos showing how to do it, provided by Major Nelson.

========================================

For more FAQs, see Skillet's "General Xbox 360 FAQ" here > > >

This is going to be a work in progress FAQ, I will add new questions and answers as they appear over the coming months. So stay tuned!

I hope you enjoyed the guide and all feedback is, as usual, welcome. :)

[spoiler=JC]

This guide was made by JC. X360A (Xbox360achievements.org) have the only permission to use this FAQ. Please do not redistribute this in any way. Thanks!

This FAQ is provided "as-is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Your guide is wrong with #11. You can remove your credit card details as I removed my girlfriends, you have to go to the points billing section and log in to remove the card.

I think the link is something like billing.microsoft.com

EDIT - Also, all MS Points come preactivated at the till when scanned through the system, so that bit is wrong too.

Edited by Falcongale

Your guide is wrong with #11. You can remove your credit card details as I removed my girlfriends, you have to go to the points billing section and log in to remove the card.

I think the link is something like billing.microsoft.com

EDIT - Also, all MS Points come preactivated at the till when scanned through the system, so that bit is wrong too.

billing.microsoft.com is correct for removing/adding a cc to your Windows Live ID, yes. However, it doesn't always work (I know this personally), so both options should be shown imo.

And no, not all MSPs come pre-activated at the till. It depends on your region, so rather, stating that instead (ie. '...dependant upon region...') should probably be put in.

billing.microsoft.com is correct for removing/adding a cc to your Windows Live ID, yes. However, it doesn't always work (I know this personally), so both options should be shown imo.

And no, not all MSPs come pre-activated at the till. It depends on your region, so rather, stating that instead (ie. '...dependant upon region...') should probably be put in.

Good point, if it doesnt work you can add in a dummy card instead... but then thats something completely different to removal.

I thought that all cards got activated at the till now? GAME in most countries do it that way but I suppose as usual the US is completely backwards :p

Pretty good guide so far. I'm guessing you're going to be updating this when the fall update comes out?

Yes, this will be updated constantly. :)

Pretty sure, you can only remove CC details by calling Support.

Nice guide.. That could prove useful to a lot of people.

So if i input in another 12 month subscription code it will add another 12 months to my current account?

Oh and you missed a question..

How do i delete the cashe on my 360? to delete all my patch updates

Yes, so would have 24 months total.

I didn't miss the question, it was already answered by Skillet in his FAQ, which I linked.

This looks like a very useful guide for x360a! I consider it worthy of a sticky! I'm sure the mods would think the same. Good job by the way!

Thanks Ingles, hopefully it will be stickied soon. :D

Yes, this will be updated constantly. :)

Pretty sure, you can only remove CC details by calling Support.

I have removed mine twice with billing.microsoft.com as that is the portal for the Points billing system as points are used on all Microsoft Products such as the Zune. Trust me.