a couple ideas

jayson583

I dont know if this has all been considered already but im gunna say it anyways.

I tend to search to find games on this website and I noticed that the search engine has to be perfectly specific, I think it would be useful if u had any different amount of different words u could search. For example if I wanna find spider-man 3 I have to search spider-man 3

if u could make it so searching spiderman 3 or spider man 3 or spider man3 or spiderman3 it might help for people to arent exactly sure what the game theyre looking for is called. I also thought that it would be neat if u had a wastes thread.

Ive known several forums that use them im not sure if this forum has one that I havent noticed yet but essentially a wastes thread is an area u can post threads about anything thats on your mind, it could be anything from how your dog smells to the fact that your life is about to end. It doesnt have to be related to the forum and of course doesnt count towards your total posts count.

hope you consider my ideas useful :woop:

1. You can just search "Spider" and it works fine.

2. If it's not a completely useless thread, it can go in the Off-Topic forum even though posts count there. If it's just spam, it doesn't belong on the site at all anyway. If someone really wants to voice everything that comes to mind, they can make a Useless Post group or just post in their profile.

I dunno, i couldn't find Rock Band under "RockBand", and i've had trouble with several other games as well when using the search engine.

Perhaps it should be looked into.

Why would you enter "RockBand" for Rock Band? lol Surely you'd either use "Rock" or "Band" or even "Rock Band" :p

I see the point about "spiderman" though, but its one of few games that become tricky is it not?

I'll speak to RX about reducing the letters down to 3 because of the franchise games (NBA, NHL, NFL, etc), but other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest because it would seem inefficient to rewrite the search script for just one (or should I say 3) games. You can get there with putting in "Spid" though :p

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have to say I agree that the search needs to be improved.

I gave up and had to find Fear 2 in the retail game list, because even searching for 'f.e.a.r' gave me an error.

Also the sole reason I made an x360a.org account as so I could use the 'my checklists' and stop having to search for Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

The search works once you know how picky it is, but it's way too picky.

Well it's improved a ton recently, for example ... 3 letters now works, but there are bound to be the odd exception to the rules ... usually those being the stupid names :p F.E.A.R for one, although I think we've got H.A.W.X in as HAWX. Suppose we could do the same for FEAR and any others that stumble with that issue.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this one out but it was listed as a suggestion for forum search improvement, but it seems to be games.

Now what I want to get at it the forum search function. Being as nearly every member of this site knows to use search before making a new thread, is it possible the search function could get some improvement. I ask as, for me personally, I always seem to end up with a message like this:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 31457280) (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/xbox360a/public_html/forum/search.php on line 1012

or this:

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in [path]/includes/class_core.php on line 408

or even sometimes just a blank screen. This gets frustrating when so many people are quick to quip that you should use the search function. I dont know how else to explain.