Irc channel for live chatting....

em0rox

Just wondering why you guys don't have an irc channel, it'd be free and a wonderful place for people to talk in real time about achievements instead of post to post... That would make things a LOT easier...

If you do have one I'm not aware of, what's the network and channel name??

Just wondering why you guys don't have an irc channel, it'd be free and a wonderful place for people to talk in real time about achievements instead of post to post... That would make things a LOT easier...

If you do have one I'm not aware of, what's the network and channel name??

The idea of a chatbox has been brought up dozens of times and is always shot down because it's impossible to moderate.

Here's some previous threads.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=681029&highlight=chatbox#post681029

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=21814&highlight=chatbox#post21814

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=14839&highlight=chatbox#post14839

IRC cannot be modified by site staff 24/7. And as we're a family site.....

It's not as hard to moderate a couple channels than you're making it out to be. You could assign a few users that know the in's and out's (shameless self promotion: I do know the in's and out's) of IRC. It's really not that difficult.

If anyone disagrees? Then they get +b! :D

It's not as hard to moderate a couple channels than you're making it out to be. You could assign a few users that know the in's and out's (shameless self promotion: I do know the in's and out's) of IRC. It's really not that difficult.

If anyone disagrees? Then they get +b! :D

Where did I say it was hard to mod IRC? It isnt. Its hard for the site staff to moderate a full time IRC- this is a family site and we have mods on pretty much 24/7 to ensure its kept clean. Add in an IRC channel and that becomes mission impossible

And chatboxes and similar things kill forums, as everyone just chats and doesn't post. :(

Adding to what Minty said as well, this point above is solid.

What happens if someone drops in to the IRC to ask an Achievement related question? Wouldn't it be better posted and answered with some permanence. We like to be a massive source of information, not somewhere where info comes and goes ;)

I can definitely see both sides here. I love these forums as I find so much use for post from months, even years ago that help me through games that I am playing for the first time, yet was released years ago. I would also like to see a place where one could go for achievement trading as real time makes it a lot easier to set up times to play.

It's very, VERY easy to regulate an irc channel. You wouldn't need to be there 24/7, just have scripts that ban whatever you do not allow.

It would just be a lot easier to actually find people to play games with is all, it's almost impossible to actually play with people here using a message board...

• 5 months later...
It's very, VERY easy to regulate an irc channel. You wouldn't need to be there 24/7, just have scripts that ban whatever you do not allow.

It would just be a lot easier to actually find people to play games with is all, it's almost impossible to actually play with people here using a message board...

Guys, I was in a old clan for a different game, and we had about 1000 members. Basically there was a bot. You got a warning and it got censored for one bad word, 1 hour kick the second, 24 hour ban for the third, and if you came back and did it a fourth time, a perm ban. Also, we used our forum log-ins on it.

I hate the idea of a chatroom 100%.

Guys, I was in a old clan for a different game, and we had about 1000 members. Basically there was a bot. You got a warning and it got censored for one bad word, 1 hour kick the second, 24 hour ban for the third, and if you came back and did it a fourth time, a perm ban. Also, we used our forum log-ins on it.

And what if we like to say "blah blah is fucking shit"?

Or "what the fuck?"?

Nobody wants to be banned for swearing lol.

I often see these discussions abound in different forums about getting a chat room and really if enough people on this site want an IRC chatroom, you could all easily get together and make your own "unofficial" IRC room and if there was enough demand for one it would be successful. Just because x360a doesn't want to sponsor a chatroom due to whatever reasons that does not mean members of the community can't make a place for them to get together at. It is not like x360a moderates the conversations that go on in XBL party chats.