borandi's Quick Start Guide to A-Train HX

borandi

borandi's Quick Start Guide to A-Train HX

=========================================

Courtesy of http://borandi360.blogspot.com

This guide is for people to follow in order to get over half of the GS in A-Train HX without playing about too much with the core gameplay. This strategy worked for me (640GS in ~5hrs) and I hope it does for you too.

I'll start as if you've just put in the game without reading the manual (I didnt get a manual as it was a LoveFilm rental).

Edit - The basic principle is 'Get Money Quick'. When this guide was first written here, we used the stock market. However, a quicker way has been discovered using Property. See the Youtube video in the third post to see how. The Stock Market method will remain here so people can learn the controls or cant follow the videos.

When you've selected your storage device, you'll come up against the main menu. Here, use the D-pad to navigate (the D-pad and left analog stick do different things in this game, and you'll be using the D-pad a lot). Select New Game and there are eight different scenarios for you to conquer. Choose the one in the top right, called Clear River and Rice Paddies - this map is easy, it's what I did most of my early achievements on, and you start with 1 billion monies (for ease of use, I'll just put $ from now on).

When the map starts, press start. This is the instant pause button in the game.

Now we look at the HUD provided. Currently selected in the top left is what I'll call the Game Menu which uses a twist style function to navigate. If you press RB, the speed is now selected - this is in the top right corner, and should now be flashing. You can use the D-Pad left and right to adjust the speed, or press up on the D-Pad to set the speed back to normal. For this guide, I suggest putting it all the way to the right, as we need to sim a lot of days to get these achievements.

Pressing RB again takes us to the cutaway guide, to the right of the speed. This is for when you want to build in mountains or underground. RB again takes you to the bottom right, where the train selector is. Here you can view the path each train takes on its day. RB again brings up the calendar, and here you can set dates where your timer will automatically stop. This is useful on Tax Days (1st Apr and 1st May I believe) so you can cobble funds together. RB a final time brings us back to the Game Menu.

The Game Menu is fairly intuitive. However, if you want to delete a piece of rail, you have to select the rail menu and go to the delete function there - same applies for buildings, you have to use the construction delete funtion for those.

But the main crux is the market menu, which brings up the stock market. Go there now (highlight it, press A).

There are 50 companies from which you can buy stock. Now with any stock market, you have to use the 'buy low and sell high' strategy. This game can be a bit picky with stock market rises and falls, so keep an eye out of those.

To get these easy achievements, we need to make lots of money on the stock market - about 12 billion to begin with. Now as a general rule, I buy below $7 a share, and sell above $13. You can't make any money with small gains, as every time you buy or sell, 10% is charged as a commission fee. Sometimes the game will take shares as low as $1, or as high as $20, so we need tactics to counteract that too.

From the beginning, the shares are usually around $8, so try and buy the cheapest you can find. You can press Y to increase the amount that you buy (up to 10 million). Buy as many as you can, but leave at least 200 million in the bank - this is very important; you're current funds are in the top center right of the screen. You can only buy 10 million shares from each company, but you can buy shares from as many companies as you like.

When this is done, press start. Now you will see the days go by quickly, and the stock prices rising and falling. As a market, they rise as a group and fall as a group, so you wont see $4 on one set and $16 on the other, they'll all be around $4 or around $16, etc. Also, share price is not based on how well you play each scenario - its random.

As the days go by, you'll see the odd message saying 'the stock market is falling!' or 'the stock market is surging!'. As a general rule, ignore these messages. Most of them are hoaxes - some of them are true, but most spout the most purile lies.

Stick to your stock screen until the majority of the 5 prices you are looking at reach above $13 - this could take 2 minutes or 10 minutes as the stock market is random. When this happens, press start to pause the game. Now we need to save the game. This is done by going to the Game Menu, and selecting File, then Save. [Note, you cannot overwrite a save game - it has to be deleted first by pressing X, then you can save it the slot]. Once that is done, go back to the market. Press right on the D-pad, and what said 'Buy shares' now should say 'Sell Shares'. Sell all the shares you own. Your money should now be over 1 billion by a small amount (I was by 160 million the first time). Now save the game again, but this time in a different slot.

Go back to the market, and resume the game. If after 5 days or so the stock market has risen, go back and reload the save where you had the shares. In general, this game does follow the same trends everytime after a save (at least for a short while), so this is generally a good indicator. If you reloaded, sim 5 days, and if it's still higher this time round, save before you sell the shares and after you sell the shares. That way, if the shares go up higher still, you can reload and save.

When the shares have peaked and you've sold them all, the market should decline again. This time, we're waiting for shares to dip below $7. This time, we save the game before you buy, and save the game after you buy. That way, if they dip below $5, we can reload the save with all the money and buy them at the cheaper prices. Again, buy as many as you can, but leave at least 200 million in the bank.

You need to repeat the buying/selling/saving process for a while. As you accumulate more money, you'll be able to buy more shares each time, and thus make more profit. About 4 billion is needed to buy from every company on the stock market.

Once you have around 7.5 billion, now we can go achievement hunting. Keep a save file with all this money, just so you can come back to it and get some other achievements.

In the market screen, press LB until you see the bank. Here, we need to take out lots of loan. Press Y until the loan amount is 1 billion, then press right on the D-Pad so it becomes a 2 year term. Then take out as much as you can (goto each line in the table and press A). You should be able to take out 4 or 5 billion, and your total money should now exceed 10 billion (the more the better).

Now goto the project sub menu of the Game Menu. Here, you can create Bullet Trains and MagLev Trains - which cost 600 million and 10 billion respectively. Create both on the map - they should be easy to place, this is an open map. These trains take 128 days to build, so sim through them until they are done. When they are built, you should get the following achievements:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/0P/r7/1YCLiGJhbC9MFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzgAAAAA5+fn+tT6yw==.jpg

Bullet Train in Service - 30GS

Complete the bullet train project to open a bullet train line.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/0P/r7/1YCLiGJhbC9MFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzgAAAAA5+fn+tT6yw==.jpg

Maglev Train in Service - 60GS

Complete the linear train project to open a maglev train line.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/kg/xf/0YCLiGJhbC9HFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzMAAAAA5+fn-nAMiQ==.jpg

Railway Kingdom - 60GS

Total railway assets exceed the total of non-railway assets by over 15% when the game is cleared.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/kg/xf/0YCLiGJhbC9HFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzMAAAAA5+fn-nAMiQ==.jpg

Harmony With Nature - 60GS

Blocks of trees exceed 300 when the game is cleared.

The Great Leap Forward - 60GS

Clear the game within 5 years.

Now reload up your save with all the money. Goto construction, a choose the small factory. Build 60 or so. After simming a day or two, you should get these achievements:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/a+/f9/1ICLiGJhbC9AFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzQAAAAA5+fn+9LncA==.jpg

Factory Head - 30GS

Number of factories exceeds 30.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/+B/8d/1YCLiGJhbC9BFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn+jIf4w==.jpg

Company Expansion - 50GS

Number of your properties exceeds 60.

You can also build 30 stations, from the station menu. Any will do, the cheaper the easier though. After another day or two, this achievement will be yours:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/a+/f9/1ICLiGJhbC9AFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzQAAAAA5+fn+9LncA==.jpg

Station Expansion - 30GS

Number of stations exceeds 30.

Edited by borandi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rail laying achievements are quite easy. Press RB until you get to the cutaway option in the top right, and press down twice, then A. The screen should turn almost completely orange - don't worry, this just means you are underground. Now bring up the rail menu from the Game Menu. We need to put down 2000 bits of rail, so keep building in an up and down. 2000 takes a long time (5-10 minutes), and at this point it's probably best to keep the timer running for this one. You'll get a message when you hit 1000. These achievements will unlock as you go through:

Tube Expansion - 30GS

Total length of rails in tunnels exceeds 100.

Public Transport King - 30GS

Total rail length exceeds 2,000.

Ah here's something I almost forgot - go back to the bank screen (under Market). Now keep taking out max loans and paying them back (press A again after taking them out). After less than a minute, this achievement will unlock:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/TR/Y8/14CLiGJhbC9CFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzYAAAAA5+fn+BMWVg==.jpg

Sign of Success - 40GS

Bank interest paid exceeds 500 million.

If you need all your money back, now is a good time to reload, as these other achievements require some money and time.

These achievements require some basic knowledge of how the train system works in this game, as well as some info about materials.

About factories and materials: most of the buildings in this game require materials. Materials come from factories, or trains that deposit them in material yards as they come from off the map. Trains can only deposit materials in yards within a certain radius of the station, and buildings have to be built near materials in material yards.

Now go back to sea level, and find the patch of water in the bottom right of the map - this is so we can build a port. A port needs a stretch of land next to water of 4/5 squares, so keep this in mind when building.

Near the edge of the map (3 squares away), build a Marshalling Yard with five platforms (press Y to change the number of platforms), with the barriers of the station facing into the main map. Now build rail such that each of the five platforms is going to the edge of the map. Now build large Material Yards around the station - I believe each station can reach out 20 squares or so, so populate the area around the marshalling yard with lots of material yards - keep them close together. Now we need to buy trains.

Goto the train menu. You will see that you already have 3 trains. Ignore those for the time being. Using the D-Pad, goto train spot number 4. Press A to buy a train. Here you see the list of trains available - scroll down until you see the Model EC6 HS Goods Train. Press Y until it has 7 carts, then press A. Now move to one of your platfroms of the Marshalling yard, and press A twice. The train should now be set. Do this with the other 4 platforms.

If you sim a few days, you should now see materials building up in your yards. Good, we need lots and lots.

First task should be to build a port and an airport. If your Marshalling yard is close to the water, building a port is easy - note what looks like the building section of the port actually goes in the water, the rest is on land. The airport is easy too - just find an open space near the material yards. These achievements should be yours:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/3u/7c/1oCLiGJhbC9DFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzcAAAAA5+fn+fPuxQ==.jpg

Take to the Skies - 30GS

Construct an airport.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/3u/7c/1oCLiGJhbC9DFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzcAAAAA5+fn+fPuxQ==.jpg

Port of Call - 10GS

Construct a port.

Now, we build leisure facilities. This is under the construction menu. Here we go with the one that uses the least materials - the shrine. Build 20 of these and sim a day for this achievement:

Leisure Industry Leader - 30GS

Number of leisure facilities exceeds 20.

Now these next set of buildings may take a while. They need lots of materials and money. I'm talking about the landmarks. Find a space near the material yards, and build them one by one. You only need one of each. When they are all built, you get this achievement:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/Qw/Ib/1ICLiGJhbC9NFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzkAAAAA5+fn+zQCWA==.jpg

Tourist Trap - 50GS

Construct all types of landmarks.

All that's left is to reload your save and keep playing with the stock market. When you hit 10 billion, this achievement is yours:

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/TR/Y8/14CLiGJhbC9CFQQeXCFRGEQxL2FjaC8wLzYAAAAA5+fn+BMWVg==.jpg

Top Trader - 40GS

Share trading profits exceed 10 billion.

Many thanks to woody1993 for the following info on other achievements:

I would play the stock market until you have about 35 billion and save this map as it will be extremely useful in a few of the achievements later on (you should get the 30 billion in assets by doing this also)

Railway Microstate achievement

Like borandi says just find a map with a track length less than 300 at the start of map and play the stock market till you get about 7 billion then take loans out till you get past 10 billion then you should get the achievement i personally done it on north/south of the mountains map

National Conquest

Complete the eight original maps this is easy but time consuming just play the stock market as before when you get to 10 billion you clear the map

I cleared all eight maps but didn't get the achievement at first so i went to my map list and deleted the maps i downloaded and created then cleared an original map again so to be certain i would just have the eight original maps to start with when you do this achievement

Industry Leader

Just play stock market again till you get 30 billion and selling any property you own counts towards your total assets

City Expansion

I did this one by building as many supermarkets,convenience stores and restaurants as i could then sold them to the city and built more and sold them and so on until the achievement popped up this could take some time but you will get it eventually

Or do the property baron achievement and sell everything, then build, then sell. (Go to the market screen, then LB to get to where you can sell properties).

Top Taxpayer

You should get this by doing Property Baron

I got this during Property Baron - 15 bil in income tax!

Property Baron - also see video underneath called 'Using Property Pt 1'

I built five long tube stations on the edge of the map one level down underground (you can do this by pressing rb until you to the enable cutaway part) then put five goods trains on them with seven carriages then surround the stations with large material yards if they exceed 20 spaces away from station nothing will be dropped off on them, return to normal level then build 50 department stores 1 (you can use other shops and property's but i found these to be best) if you build tall buildings or skyscrapers they will not make a profit until they are fully built.Put a few elevated stations close to the stores so the population will build around them, pretty soon you should be making a profit go to to management info on report at the top of page it should say subs,profit/year it's this total which must succeed 20 billion don't worry it doesn't have to be done in a year. I waited a year until my city built up a bit then i took all my trains off sold them then left it on over night to get this achievement but that's just the way i did it you don't have take your trains off

Subway Mall Expansion

It's best to do this achievement with a highly populated city when my city had about 9000 population i built an underground double tube station, on the first track i put a goods train with a material yard close by, on the second track i put a tube train, i connected this station with another station further on after a while a subway expanded from the back of my tube station this expanded two at a time to a maximum of eight in length 16 in total when it was fully built i built another six tube stations in close proximity to the original tube station when all fully expanded you should get the achievement (a fully extended subway mall attached to a tube station should resemble the letter t)

I made a video showing about Subway malls. One thing I didnt add is that these malls work best when using tube trains and underneath current towns.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PDLKo7S98]YouTube - A-Train HX - Underground Malls[/ame]

Another way of getting Malls, by XRT:

To get Subway Mall Expansion build a double tube station 1 level down, in the middle under the city somewhere with plenty of room for the subway malls to expand (8x2 grid squares). Make sure the elevated rail which comes up into the city itself is quite far away from the platform (you'll see why in a minute;)) Connect one side of the platform to one of the stations you built above ground earlier and the other one on the other track. So hopefully so far so good, and you get your full set of subway malls (8). Instead of building a new subway station next to the one you already have with different lines, etc, all you do is remove the station you have inplace already and build a new one 2 grid squares along from where the old subway malls were placed, so basically the malls are being built right next to the first set. Rinse and repeat, and voila :D

Not sure if that explains it properly, but any questions i will try to answer as best as i can.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/XRTurbo/P300808_1749.jpg

Just took a quick photo with my phone and uploaded it.

As you can see, 2 lines, 1 coming from the city to the left and one to the right. Build your first station, when you get your full amount of subway malls, remove the station, build a new one 2 grid squares along and the new malls build right next to the old ones ;)

Oh and no goods trains or factories needed. Only 2 passenger trains running here :D

After a quick review, as you can see in the picture, i built the station 8 or 9 grid squares away from my undergound storage. This is where it is taking the goods from to build the malls!

Useful Links to A-Train HX:

http://www.artdink.co.jp/japanese/title/ahx/en_playing.php

A website that introduces the core concept of the game

(As mentioned by DJ Psydande in another thread)

Videos for making money, made by borandi:

Using Property pt.1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DuyY9XjKY]YouTube - A-Train HX - Using Property Pt 1[/ame]

Using Property pt.2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRpKB0hnYI]YouTube - A-Train HX - Using Property Pt 2[/ame]

Using the Stock Market (i.e. the Long way)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j67Kc7g3hQ]YouTube - A-Train HX - Using the Stock Market[/ame]

<reserved for FAQs or other>

Edited by borandi

As far as I know, clearing the game = getting $10 billion in money+assets. This does not include stuff being built (i.e. the moment you get 10bil and spend on a MagLev, you only get its worth as assets when it is complete).

To get the bullet train, start up the scenario as I advise here, goto 'Project', and select Bullet Train, and build. Wait 128 days in game time, and when it's built the achievement should unlock. Same with the MagLev, but you need ~10 billion for that - the Bullet only costs around 600 million.

Another note, if you borrow money from the bank, it counts +ve towards the 10 billion needed. So if you're at 8 billion, borrow 2 bil from the bank, sim a day, then the map is cleared. What I suggest, is when you get to 7.5 bil, pause the game, borrow some money, start building a MagLev (still on pause), then sim 128 days. That way, when the MagLev completes,you get the clearance achievement, and the Railway Kingdom (Total railway assets exceed the total of non-railway assets by over 15% when the game is cleared) achievement.

Like x Lexxuz x i bought this game last week and didn't have a clue how to play it but with borandi's help i now have 970 achievement points for this game but i can't do the subway mall expansion achievement i've been trying it for days and i'm completely stuck if any one knows how to do this achievement please post a reply thank you

Thanks for the positive replies =D

With the yards, make sure that your trains actually leave the map - i.e. the tracks go to the map edge. If you're not keeping materials, select the train, and modify the timetable such that they UNLOAD only. I'm not at the game at the minute, so I cant tell you the exact controls, but I found it quite easily first time so you should =D

No idea about the subway expansion yet mate. Do you have any hints about the 100k, or does it just come as you build stations and trains? Tbh I haven't touched the game in days since I got several others :p

sorry mate there was no quick way to do this i built a lot of buildings and a few stations around the city and let the population grow gradually also with the achievement property baron i think, it's 2 billion in profits which has to be generated from shops,tall buildings,skyscrapers and so on. the sale of these buildings does not add to the property baron achievement but it does count towards 30 billion in assets achievements

[quote name=x Since you have already 970GS, what about making a little guide for the other achievements? :):woop:[/quote]

I'll give it a go mate but it might not be that good

Quick note

I would play the stock market until you have about 35 billion and save this map as it will be extremely useful in a few of the achievements later on (you should get the 30 billion in assets by doing this also)

Railway Microstate achievement

Like borandi says just find a map with a track length less than 300 at the start of map and play the stock market till you get about 7 billion then take loans out till you get past 10 billion then you should get the achievement i personally done it on north/south of the mountains map

National Conquest

Complete the eight original maps this is easy but time consuming just play the stock market as before when you get to 10 billion you clear the map

I cleared all eight maps but didn't get the achievement at first so i went to my map list and deleted the maps i downloaded and created then cleared an original map again so to be certain i would just have the eight original maps to start with when you do this achievement

Industry Leader

Just play stock market again till you get 30 billion and selling any property you own counts towards your total assets

City Expansion

I did this one by building as many supermarkets,convenience stores and restaurants as i could then sold them to the city and built more and sold them and so on until the achievement popped up this could take some time but you will get it eventually

Top Taxpayer

You should get this by doing Property Baron

Property Baron

I built five long tube stations on the edge of the map one level down underground (you can do this by pressing rb until you to the enable cutaway part) then put five goods trains on them with seven carriages then surround the stations with large material yards if they exceed 20 spaces away from station nothing will be dropped off on them, return to normal level then build 50 department stores 1 (you can use other shops and property's but i found these to be best) if you build tall buildings or skyscrapers they will not make a profit until they are fully built.Put a few elevated stations close to the stores so the population will build around them, pretty soon you should be making a profit go to to management info on report at the top of page it should say subs,profit/year it's this total which must succeed 20 billion don't worry it doesn't have to be done in a year. I waited a year until my city built up a bit then i took all my trains off sold them then left it on over night to get this achievement but that's just the way i did it you don't have take your trains off

Subway Mall Expansion

It's best to do this achievement with a highly populated city when my city had about 9000 population i built an underground double tube station, on the first track i put a goods train with a material yard close by, on the second track i put a tube train, i connected this station with another station further on after a while a subway expanded from the back of my tube station this expanded two at a time to a maximum of eight in length 16 in total when it was fully built i built another six tube stations in close proximity to the original tube station when all fully expanded you should get the achievement (a fully extended subway mall attached to a tube station should resemble the letter t)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the positive replies =D

With the yards, make sure that your trains actually leave the map - i.e. the tracks go to the map edge. If you're not keeping materials, select the train, and modify the timetable such that they UNLOAD only. I'm not at the game at the minute, so I cant tell you the exact controls, but I found it quite easily first time so you should =D

No idea about the subway expansion yet mate. Do you have any hints about the 100k, or does it just come as you build stations and trains? Tbh I haven't touched the game in days since I got several others :p

Cheers for the reply... I did all as listed and still nothing - I must be being a douche!

Thanks for that guide to the other achievements woody! I've just started on the property baron one, but for some reason people dont seem to be starting to build houses and so forth.

I did the tube station underground, got loads of materials, built my convenience stores on the normal ground. I've got an elevated station either side, both with trains on carrying passengers. But nothing else seems to be built. I even put a materials yard above ground and a goods train on it to get some materials above ground, but that still had no effect.

Any advice?

Edit: My department stores are making a profit - barely. 500m in 2 months wont make 20bil in a year.

Edit 2: Mid year I built 100s of convience stores nearby and got 20bil in Dec. It's a nice earner, better than keeping check of the stock market imo. Sold all my properties to get the City Expansion achievement, now I've got 160bil LoL! Just building a convience store and selling it now earns me 10mil. That year I also got Top Taxpayer (paid 15bil in income tax!). Just got 4 achs to go: National Conquest, Railway Microstate (both should be easy), Subway mall expansion (I could really do with a picture =D) and Busting Metropolis (no-one builds in my city anyway, so I wonder how to do that).

Edit 3: Just made some videos about how to get the maps done quickly. What woody1993 says about the 20bil property achieve is the best way to get money - much, much quicker than the Stock Market method. So I hope you dont mind woody, but I've made some videos and I'm going to use your method in the main post =D I'm just working on my 100k peoples now - I figured out that if you use a train from a city that already exists and direct it to a new station with materials, people start to grow. Sometimes it takes over a year to kick off though. Still confused about the subway mall achievement!

Edit 4: Just got my first set of underground malls. Basically its like woody says - 2 stations, one uses a tube train and goes to an elevated station in another part of town, the other delivers materials (put the materials yards above the station, or below, not on same level). Leave for a few months. I just made a video of it, will upload and put in the 3rd post shortly ;)

No mate i don't mind at all that you used my method just glad to help out a bit and nice video about the subway mall expansion achievement i was struggling to explain that one,glad to see you got all the achievements as well mate

Ye I got the final achievement. Left the 360 on overnight, got 70k peeps, then expanded my cities a little.

If that method works Benhemoth, then the subway mall ach is definately the hardest imo =D Though just make sure with that one that the mall is underneath where people live. I didnt mention that in the vid, but it's sort of vital :p

Thats exactly the problem

I had the same issue in my first attempt when building the yard. It seemed that the trains didnt hold at that station. I found that out after I extended the rails to the other site on the station and little bit further away. After that the trains appeared on the map and drove right through the station without unloading. :(

So I made a second try, removed the station an set it under a different angle on the map. This time I build the rails starting at the station, going in a 90 degree angle counter clockwise and finally to the edge of the map.

I also checked that they only UNLOAD at the station and not the usual LOAd/UNLOAD setting.

Finally after all this I got materials stocking up in my yards. So it seems that there maybe a glitch.

Just try to build a new station under a different angle. It worked for me. Good luck! :)

I had the same issue in my first attempt when building the yard. It seemed that the trains didnt hold at that station. I found that out after I extended the rails to the other site on the station and little bit further away. After that the trains appeared on the map and drove right through the station without unloading. :(

So I made a second try, removed the station an set it under a different angle on the map. This time I build the rails starting at the station, going in a 90 degree angle counter clockwise and finally to the edge of the map.

I also checked that they only UNLOAD at the station and not the usual LOAd/UNLOAD setting.

Finally after all this I got materials stocking up in my yards. So it seems that there maybe a glitch.

Just try to build a new station under a different angle. It worked for me. Good luck! :)

Then that is what I shall be trying tomorrow!

Will let you know if I succeed - thanks for the help.