Beginner's Guide and FAQ

h4mm32

Credit to Minmatar, toxincram

Not to insult any one person's intelligence by posting this but i'm starting from barebone here and moving down the list.

http://gfxuploader.com/images/9cefykddwrqwlbon78x.png

1.Your nameplate

2.EGO rating

3.Boosts (xp/skill/rep/scrip)

4.Your shield status

5.Your current health

6.Party member listing

7.Quick chat and Quick Menu (:dleft: and :dright:)

8.Funds

9.EGO skill/ Grenade/ Vehicle (respectively)

10.Current weapon with Magazine size/Ammo remaining

11.Your XP bar

12.Chat window

13.Chat location

• Yellow: Local
  • Green: Party
  • Blue: Team (PVP)
  • Dark Blue: Clan/Guild
  • White: EGO

14.Mission NPC broadcast portrait

15.Mission Objective Details/

16.Minimap

17.Mission Objective locations/points of interest.

Inventory system, Salvage and mod system, maps, ego videos available after uploading tonight whilst i sleep or as they finish uploading.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iofwu4yLCbc]Intro Guide[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJnMV52u-M]Salvage Matrix[/ame]

Some general Terms

• PvP/PvE: Player versus Player, Player versus Environment
  • Aggro/threat: Enemy attention: something is attacking you
  • Kiting: the act of running away whilst damaging or maintaining the enemies aggro. This prolongs combat but increases survivability.
  • CD's: cool downs
  • Wipe: everyone dies in party
  • FF: Focus Fire
  • CC: Crowd Control: using electricity to keep enemies stunned, or something like the mud crap on your feet that slows you.
  • AOE: Area Of Effect: splash damage, rocket launchers often used on weaker mobs to destroy them quickly.
  • DC: disconnect

Elemental Effects

• Fire - (Red Flame Symbol) Burn DoT

• Electrocute - (Blue Lightning Symbol) Electric DoT + Chance of Stun

• Caustic (Green Radioactive Symbol) - Weakens the enemy + Acid DoT

• Syphon (Purple Circle) - Drains health from enemy and gives it to you

• Bio (Blue Triangle) - Slows the enemy's movement speed

Co-op missions require 4 players or at least both i've played thus far. Also known as PvE (player versus environment, basically npc's or AI)

A compiled list of reputation faction missions by Shiftie can be found Here

Edited by h4mm32

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FAQ:

Q: HOLY CRAP i have to drive how far? is there a fast travel?

A: Why yes, yes there is, hit the :back: button and look on your map for little blue spots on the map often at the main faction hubs. you can highlight and select them with the :abut: to fast travel to these locations.

Q: How can i Access Competitive multiplayer? What about co-op?

A: Holding :ltbut: while in the map or loadout system will allow you to access matchmaking for multiplayer and coop missions, social/guild features, the log out feature under settings, and pursuits under goals.

Q:Where can I find ammo?

A: Ammo boxes can be found as little white squares on the minimap hold :xbut: whilst near them to rearm all ammunition. Most ammo boxes can be found around quest hubs- areas where a quest or multiple quests are completed, as well as outside or around arkfall locations.

Q:Why aren't my weapon skills leveling anymore?

A:In order to continue leveling a Weapon skill such as Assault rifles, LMG's, or Rocket launchers you will have to change to a different weapon in that weapon class once it reaches max XP for the specific weapon. For example if I use a LMG Firetouch and it sits at max XP 7789823/7789823 i need to switch to LMG 516D type 0/7789823 to continue adding XP to my OVERALL LMG skill rank.

Q: When can I start doing Daily Quests? Where do I find them?

A: Daily quests all become available with the appropriate Faction once you reach an ego rating Above 250. Locations via screenshot will hopefully be provided shortly or in a different thread.

Q: WTF is an Arkfall? How do i find them?

A: Arkfalls are basically crystals falling into earths atmosphere that then collide with the ground and say KAPOOYA! upon penetration. You can find them by hitting :back: and looking for red circles with a Crystal like icon in the center. you can hit :xbut: to set a waypoint that will help you navigate to the location. Arkfalls encompass a variety of different tasks some require you to kill waves of bad guys others require you to Destroy the Arkfall crystal etc. Upon completion you will get currency salvage and xp as well as ego rating boosts.

Q: What are shadow wars?

A: Shadow war is a take and hold Competitive Battleground or PvP (player versus player) where in two teams 64 each fight against each other to capture nodes. These nodes add to the Capture count seen by the bars at the top. The more you have the more likely you will win.

Q: WTF are Bits?!

A: Bits are obtained with real world money technically the order of operation is money -> MS points -> Bits. You can use these to buy gear, outfits, character or clan boosters, etc.

Q: Where is my VBI training gear? and my Preorder loot?

A: You can access all your loot that comes from rewards by first having entered any keys related at this page HERE. Upon finishing the keys enter your platform of choice and sign in normally enter your loadout menu by hitting :start: then hold :ltbut: and select the defiance store with :ls: . On the bottom left side of the store you can see a tab called "Claim Items" you will find anything you've been rewarded there.

Q: How often do I unlock perk slots?

A: Perk slots unlock at certain power rating intervals of 20, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 & 4000 ego rating. (credit to minmatar)

Q: What is synergy? how does it work?

A: The full synergy list of synergy mods known right now can be found Here these can be added to any and all guns that have the proper slots to add these passive bonuses listed in the thread posted.

Q: Do i get anything cool for going through the story missions again?

A: Yes you get a random weapon chest for every quest you complete, however finish ALL side mission pursuits beforehand or you will have to start those over as well.

Q: Do i get better loot for doing well in an arkfall, like 1st 2nd or 3rd place?

A: The idea was that you were supposed to get better gear but as of 4/17/13 anything you get is completely RNG (luck). You can spam revive, have highest damage, lowest damage, just drive by an arkfall, No matter what you do it wont change your chances of better loot at this time.

Edited by h4mm32

Okay, an incomplete achievement guide is one thing, but do you really need to reserve posts in a topic that doesn't even need to be created until you have something to post?

He has pretty much been given a green light to do this. A lot of us console only gamers are oblivious to MMO lingo and terms.

He has pretty much been given a green light to do this. A lot of us console only gamers are oblivious to MMO lingo and terms.

I'm not saying to not make a beginner's guide. I'm saying it seems pointless to reserve posts and a thread when all you are posting is "reserved" basically. Why not just make the thread tonight when there is some information to post?

I'm not saying to not make a beginner's guide. I'm saying it seems pointless to reserve posts and a thread when all you are posting is "reserved" basically. Why not just make the thread tonight when there is some information to post?

Ya got me there. I dont let things like that get under my skin. I just try to contribute, flame trolls with logic & words they dont understand, and be a part of the community.

I'd have to agree with you there. Writing an achievement guide for an MMO is a huge time sink, but then he goes and starts a FAQ that currently contains no info.

Just using it as a placeholder to let people know it's coming, would be my guess. I agree its kinda pointless, but... *shrug*

Edit: People could ask questions in here and they can be added to the FAQ when it gets written.

Edited by StolenPaper18

Yah nothing to do with being allowed to or not. I did the guide for Dragon Age II and being an RPG, that guide was extremely time consuming. Defiance, being an MMO, is significantly more intricate. Should be focusing on the seriously lacking guide, being a work in progress, instead of trying to work on 2 things. Instead of making one great guide, you usually end up with two half assed ones.

Yah nothing to do with being allowed to or not. I did the guide for Dragon Age II and being an RPG, that guide was extremely time consuming. Defiance, being an MMO, is significantly more intricate. Should be focusing on the seriously lacking guide, being a work in progress, instead of trying to work on 2 things. Instead of making one great guide, you usually end up with two half assed ones.

This was a Bit of a waste of a post sure. I can handle writing two guides i promise, i just wont get as much playtime in and will hopefully be relying on my co authors help in creating this, another thing i thought of ahead of time.

alternatively instead of berating my possibly poor reasoning we should more likely focus on an attempt to correlate data and hold up to the feel of a community and ask questions or point out topics that should in fact be covered by the beginners guide and FAQ.

I dont find mods overly complicated, but for people not used to MMOs you should go over how to equip them (i.e. weapon specific etc.), where to find arkfalls/what to expect, possibly a layout of the different abilities and associated side perks. Info on Shadow wars and such would also benefit newcomers.

alternatively instead of berating my possibly poor reasoning we should more likely focus on an attempt to correlate data and hold up to the feel of a community and ask questions or point out topics that should in fact be covered by the beginners guide and FAQ.

Any information on daily and weekly contracts would be appreciated. I have yet to figure out how to view them or complete them.

This was a Bit of a waste of a post sure. I can handle writing two guides i promise, i just wont get as much playtime in and will hopefully be relying on my co authors help in creating this, another thing i thought of ahead of time.

I have a question? Why you double post?

I kid, I kid. I can see why you would post this, kind of a coming attraction to let us MMO noobs that you are gonna help us. I am new to the MMO scene and could use some pointers.

Ah ok. I was wondering why people were dying.

I'm being a bit dumb here, but I can't find the option to log out of the game...

Press start, hold LT, and you should see that it says "LOG OUT - X" at the top left of the screen. If not, press start, hold LT and go to settings - you will see that it says log out at the top.

Edited by Le Vampyr †™

Press start, hold RT, and you should see that it says "LOG OUT - X" at the top left of the screen. If not, press start, hold RT and go to settings - you will see that it says log out at the top.

Found it. Thanks, but it's actually LT :p

Another question. I have some mods that I can see in my inventory or when at the merchants when I go to sell.

How exactly do I use or equip them? Most are for weapons I own and use, but I see no option?

A weapon needs to have what I believe to be 4 boxes below the picture of it. Most of them will have a line through them but you may see a small picture of a magazine/scope/barrel/ and i think a stock. Which ever picture appears below the weapon is the type of mod you can equip to it.

Ex: You have a pistol with a small picture of a magazine underneath it. Hit start then right bumper to enter the salvage option. Click on the pistol and below the pistol it should say magazine. Click on the magazine option and all your pistol magazine mods should appear.

If your weapon doesn't show anything underneath it between the picture and stats than to my knowledge it doesn't have to capability to be modded. Also I have not found a weapon that has more than one option to mod.

If your weapon doesn't show anything underneath it between the picture and stats than to my knowledge it doesn't have to capability to be modded. Also I have not found a weapon that has more than one option to mod.

A weapon can sometimes have the option to ADD mod slots. Which takes time like a Cooldown