Viral Infection - Do not join public games [Video]

Bahroo3

**Update**

Recently a few users have begun violating the Xbox Live Code of Conduct by using an external application to maliciously disrupt the experience and sabotage characters of legitimate Borderlands 2 players on Xbox 360. Fortunately it’s easy to avoid this scenario.

While we work to resolve this as quickly as possible with our partners, concerned Xbox 360 players of Borderlands 2 should consider playing online with trusted individuals in non-public sessions. This does not affect players on PC or PlayStation 3.

We also advise that before ceasing play, users always select "Save and Quit" from within the pause menu while their character is alive. If after the death of their character players find themselves at the main menu of Borderlands 2 instead of respawning in-game, be sure to immediately select "Continue" to resume playing as that character.

We ask that players report any suspicious behavior in Borderlands 2 to [email protected] and provide as much details and documentation of their disrupted experience as possible to assist us in our investigation.

For discussion of this topic, please use this thread: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...75#post3056075

-ChrisF

If you see this in your save, you're fucked.

http://i.imgur.com/Hiprj.jpg

Cassandra: The graveyard.sav glitch that has been hitting so many players has turned out to be a "viral" infection of sorts that is passed across players, originating with the modding community. It may have been accidental, it may have been intentional, who knows. I'd rather not debate that here, I would like to keep this informative.

What is graveyard.sav? What does this have to do with me?

When you get hit by the glitch that turns your save into graveyard.sav, upon entering FFYL and then subsequently dying for whatever reason, you will never respawn. You die and go into a free roam camera. If you try to load another character, dashboard, restart your xbox, etc, your save data is completely gone and there is no hope of recovering it at that point, as it is renamed graveyard.sav and is missing the majority of the data it once had.

What?! How did I get this?

As stated above, the glitch originated with the modding community and may or may not have been accidental. It spread from there, and it passes from the infected player to all other players in the game with said infected player. At this point, it's a terrible chain, and chances are it passed to you through some randoms.

But I don't play with randoms! I play with my friends only

Do your friends play with randoms? Have any of you ever had somebody come into a game and trade you anything? It's easy to spread, unfortunately.

How can I get my character back?

Once your save file has turned into graveyard.sav, you cannot get your character back. Too much data has been lost at that point, and it is far beyond salvageable.

So how can I prevent this, or save my character if it gets effected later?

If you want to prevent this, you have to make sure you're not playing with randoms, and that everybody you play with isn't playing with randoms, AND that it isn't currently effecting anybody in your group. Along with that, MAKE FREQUENT BACKUPS, and if you are on 360, do not backup to the Cloud, as it will sync with your HD saves and your backups will be overwritten, apparently. Memory card or USB drive is best.

If you get hit by this and recognize it (free roam camera, no respawning, etc), you can salvage your save.

1.] Quit (it'll tell you you cant save, thats fine, hit quit without saving)

2.] At main menu, hit Continue

3.] Load up, hit start, hit Save and Quit

If you salvage your save in this way, and then continue to play, the next time you die, it will happen again, and you must repeat the steps above. I highly recommend following the above steps and then NOT TOUCHING THE SAVE after that. It's a logical assumption that due to how this is done, Gearbox will likely be able to remove the "infection" from any effected files with the patch once they get it out.

Can you explain what to look for a little better?

If you don't quite grasp what I mean with the free roam camera, etc, watch the video below. It shows you what the no-respawn death looks like, what to look for in your storage device if you think you were hit with this (but at that point, you cannot be helped), etc:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glm_UL-Iqyg&feature=plcp]Viral Borderlands 2 Graveyard.sav infections - YouTube[/ame]

A couple of other notes...

1.] The infected player does not have to be the host in order to infect other players in the game.

2.] Gearbox has already stated that they are aware of the issue in other related threads, and I've sent in a ticket with specific details because well, that couldn't hurt.

3.] I wish I was making this up, but I couldn't make this up if I tried! This has been tested with several players, with chaining the infection, having the infection hit multiple players at once in one game, etc. This is in fact a very real threat at the moment, and if you don't take the precautions I listed above, it is possible you will be hit with it yourself.

I'll be trying to update this thread (among others I crosspost) with more info as it comes up, including updates from Gearbox. If you have any questions or need any support with this, please ask away.

Edited by Bahroo3

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's unbelievable. I didn't think it would have hit the consoles like they always do with PC but apparently, it did. This is one of many reasons I strictly played with my friends online co-op or help someone from this site and TA.com. For Borderlands 1-2, I never join public at all, only invited by friends, and x360 people.

Why would the hell modders do that?

Wow, that's unbelievable. I didn't think it would have hit the consoles like they always do with PC but apparently, it did. This is one of many reasons I strictly played with my friends online co-op or help someone from this site and TA.com. For Borderlands 1-2, I never join public at all, only invited by friends, and x360 people.

Why would the hell modders do that?

Because they're assholes?

Point taken but what's the good reason for them to do that to gamers like us? Hope someone in this x360a community don't become a victim of this situation but its inevitable to someone who doesn't know about it.

They do it because they're assholes. Simple as that. Whoever created it is probably laughing their ass of right now.

It has come to my attention that there currently a "viral" infection spreading around. Due to the modding community finding out a glitch that can infect other players that they join.

As an example, Player A mods their save to infect themselves

Player A joins Player B

Player B is now infected forever.

When you die with an infected save you will lose everything and the save file will be become corrupted and unplayable.

Also note that the infected player does not have to be the host to infect everyone in the game.

The Devs are currently looking into this issue and until it is patched I highly advise not joining any random games or setting your games to public. I also recommend making back-ups of your save games.

We have done tests to confirm that this is real and are currently working on a way to salvage broken save games. Please do not mod your Save Files.

***You can tell you have been infected when you die you will go into third person camera and get booted to the Borderlands 2 Main Menu instead of respawning. If this happens hit continue, load into your game and then save and quit. This is not a permanent fix and you will have to do these steps every time. Failure to follow these steps will result in a corrupted save***

If you see this in your save, you're fucked.

http://i.imgur.com/Hiprj.jpg

Source or something? I read a topic about it on the official forums and nobody is saying anything about this being an infection type hack that corrupts files.

Thanks for the heads up man. ;)

Last night I joined a pub game and for what ever reason I couldn't fully spawn. It was like Halo's Forge as I was floating around the Sanctuary. I could pass straight through walls/floors/doors etc just like as if the barriers were all removed or something, I quickly quit to the dashboard before anything saved, lucky for me I'm still good.

EDIT: oh and the guys lvl was live 169

I think this goes without saying... fucking modders/hackers. Hate them.

I'm not really against mods/modded guns/gear in general, but this kind of modding/hacking is unacceptable. I hope Gearbox handles this ASAP.

I was going to bring up what I said before about not joining random games, but this kind of shit shouldn't happen period. Modded gear is one thing, this is something else and a REAL problem.

Shame on these losers who do this...

This is a prime example of modding getting out of hand, M$ really needs to start bringing down the ban hammer on modders, rather than just people who have slightly offensive content in their mottos and bios, like myself who got banned for this:

F.A.G.S

Fight, Against, Grenade, Spam

But that was a couple of years ago and I'm going off topic, but M$ really need to sort out the spreading plague that is modders/hackers.

Also I find it quite hard to believe that is was a accident, just due to the fact it changes your saves name to 'Graveyard', its just seems to much of a coincidence.

I'm not really against mods/modded guns/gear in general, but this kind of modding/hacking is unacceptable. I hope Gearbox handles this ASAP.

Well unfortunately, I don't think you can have it both ways.

You 'allow' gamers to run riot with mods/modded weapons (I don't know the official stance with this, so I don't know if the higher up's actually allow it), you're going to allow idiots to ruin it for others thinking they can run riot with mods that do this sort of thing.

End of the day, don't allow or support modding, and this won't happen. It's that simple.

And if anyone has a similar view as to what I quoted and yet falls victim to this, I think I'll find it really hard to have any sympathy.

its not just modders, its spreading as Bahroo said and is viral (it's like your girlfriend's nipslip caught on camera and posted on the internet), and was potentially initiated on accident due to how its done. half of the people spreading it dont even know they're doing it.

or something. lmao. YOU ALL BE BABIEEEEEEEEES!