Advanced warning!

Many contain spoilers!

While I know there is currently another thread based on easter eggs, I want to combine those and the allusions into a sort of compilation. The first Borderlands had a ton so I'm going to try to compile them. THIS IS MEANT AS A COMPILATION AS OPPOSED TO A DISCUSSION.

THIS THREAD IS NOW A JOINT EFFORT WITH ICE CAR!

It is not being abandoned but some stuff has come up. With the layout almost done, updates should come more often

Better formatting will come soon.

al·lu·sion [uh-loo-zhuhn]

noun

1.a passing or casual reference; an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication

Easter Eggs

Minecraft Landscape + Skin

You should be able to reach this area around levels 17-20.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

TMNT

You will get a quest from Tannis called Flinter Group. You have to kill mutants, and the final 4 that spawn are Mick, Ralph, Dan, and a 4th. They say things like the turtles and all have similar abilities. Then once you kill them, you can find the Easter Egg with Flinter. Which is a reference to Splinter, who is the turtles sensei.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnblfeHf1XA]TMNT[/ame]

Double Rainbow:

About: All the way. I hate memes. You'd better leave this part in the OP Target, I did this for you, you do this for me.

How: In the Highlands there is one cliff face where you will encounter a full-fledged Double Rainbow Easter Egg. Head to the Hyperion Outpost and continue until you're atop the structure. After crossing the bridge and when you get to the garage and jump down to the cliff face to your right. There should be a tent in this area.

Se7en - What's in the box?!

About: AW, WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOOOOX?!

How: Head to the Buzzard Academy in the Dust, or the "Goose's Roost" and land on the right side. Turn around and look for some stairs going down the cliff. Take it down and enter the shack, the shack you are looking for should either have nothing in it or only a box. If the box is there, it will contain "React Gwen's Head," a reference to the movie Se7en.

Dark Souls Easter Egg:

About: Target or someone who played Dark Souls, write something for this please.

How: Another easter egg in the Caustic Caverns. Head through the area normally towards the threshers and instead of heading towards the warehouse and threshers, stop by the bus and look to your right for an island. It may be a better idea to do this on normal mode with a higher leveled character as it is difficult if not impossible to reach the island. Once you reach it, I'll leave the surprise for you.

Donkey Mong and King Mong:

About: Save the princess! Or not. I guess.

How: Go to Eridium Blight and just drive around killing Bullymongs. As far as I know his spawns are completely random but you should find him eventually. Donkey Mong will eventually appear and start throwing barrels at you. King Mong, a reference to King Kong, seems to have a set spawn point with the other bullymongs near the spawn point after you go through the gate and to your right.

Edited by StayonTarget

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserved for future use.

Allusions

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/2058/5-2Q19U=.jpg Definitely An Italian Plumber 15:gsicon:

Killed Donkey Mong

This contains three references.

-One to the achievement in Borderlands 1 called "My Brother is an Italian Plumber." You had to kill an enemy by jumping on it's head.

-The "Italian Plumber" part is a reference to Mario of course.

-The achievement picture and name "Donkey Mong" are both a reference to "Donkey Kong."

*Achievement Picture Here*

What does it mean?

The achievement is a reference to this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI]Double Rainbow[/ame]

Dirty Harry

One of the Gunzerker's skills in the skill tree is titled "Five Shots or Six." That is a reference to the movie Dirty Harry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hw3i-DS9ss]Dirty Harry[/ame]

Skyrim

This one is pretty obvious.

Thre Dog - "Because one barrel ain't enough and two is too few"

A reference to Three Dog from Fallout 3.

Trespasser - "I infrequently perish."

A reference to Mordecai's death line from BL1; "I never die!" Appropriately a quest reward from Mordecai.

Face McShooty

Possible reference to the box art of the series.

"I ran for sheriff of Lynchwood once. Won 20% of the vote." -Marshall Friedman

"I am proficient in both digeridoo and Jew's Harp. -Marshall Friedman

Reference to

Squall of Violence

Reference to Squall Leonhart from FF8. Challenge is to get melee kills with a weapon with a blade, Squall wields a gunblade.

Pitchfork - "Mainstream'd"

Reference to an IGN video about Borderlands seen here. Pitchfork = Randy Pitchford.

Game of Thorns

Reference to Game of Thrones.

Loggins

Reference to Danger Zone by Kelly Loggins.

"Won't get fooled again"

Reference to theme song of CSI: Miami. (quest involves investigating a murder)

"It's too dangerous to go along, jerkwad! -Crazy Earl

Reference to a line in the original Legend of Zelda, "It's too dangerous to go alone, take this."

Trap Cards

Several of Zer0's lines involve trap cards. Reference to Yu-gi-oh.

The Good, The Bad, The Mordecai

Reference to the movie: "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"

Breaking Bald

Reference to Breaking Bad.

Bonehead 2.0

Nod to Bonehead from Borderlands 1. Drops Bone Shredder.

Son of Mothrakk

Nod to Mothrakk from Borderlands 1. Possibly drops Skullmasher, gun from Borderlands 1.

Timon and Pumbaa

Reference to Simon and Tumba from Lion King. (I'm going to feel really bad if I remembered the name wrong because this movie was my childhood.)

Dahlminator - "Dodge This."

Possible reference to this scene from the Matrix.

Miss Moxxi's Heartbreaker - "I don't want to set the world on fire...

Reference to the song "I don't want to set the world on fire" (well that was redundant)

Edited by StayonTarget

Quests

Laney White and the Seven Midgets:

About: What the hell are those little dudes?!

How: After you get back to Sanctuary after it's lifted into the sky, you will get a mission titled "Cold Shoulder". You will eventually encounter Laney White and 7 midget helpers who have adjectives as names.

The Good, The Bad, and the Moredecai

Obvious reference to the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."

Challenges

-It's not easy looting green - Kermit the Frog reference

-Woah, Black Betty - Ram Jam Song

-Game of Thorns - Game of Thrones.

-...this is my gun

this is my rifle... - These are two challenges that reference Full Metal Jacket

-Not Full of Monkeys - Reference to the game "Barrel of Monkeys"

Skill Trees

Edited by StayonTarget

badass challenges

it's not easy looting green - ninja turtles

woah, black betty - ram jam song

game of thorns - game of thrones. I seriously hope no one missed that connection

...this is my gun

this is my rifle... - these are two challenges that reference full metal jacket

hard boiled

the killer - two (fantastic) chow yun-fat movies

not full of monkeys - reference to the game barrel of monkeys

Top Gun/Danger Zone reference (which made me laugh out loud):

NPC: Loggins (in the area where Ellie is)

He is dressed with clothing/face mask that is reminiscent of a fighter pilot's gear. The quest text has "DANGER ZONE." in it. And when you finish the quest, there is basically a quote from Top Gun that has been changed a little for the game. Kenny Loggins sings the song "Danger Zone" which is in the sound track for the movie Top Gun.

badass challenges

woah, black betty - ram jam song

game of thorns - game of thrones. I seriously hope no one missed that connection

...this is my gun

this is my rifle... - these are two challenges that reference full metal jacket

hard boiled

the killer - two (fantastic) chow yun-fat movies

not full of monkeys - reference to the game barrel of monkeys

I feel like every challenge title is a reference to something...

One of the characters in The Dust is named Loggins, and he will say stuff like GOOSE!! and such and also wears a flight helmet. Reference to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins as well as the film Top Gun with Tom Cruise.

Just a few posts above you, I wrote about this:

Top Gun/Danger Zone reference (which made me laugh out loud):

NPC: Loggins (in the area where Ellie is)

He is dressed with clothing/face mask that is reminiscent of a fighter pilot's gear. The quest text has "DANGER ZONE." in it. And when you finish the quest, there is basically a quote from Top Gun that has been changed a little for the game. Kenny Loggins sings the song "Danger Zone" which is in the sound track for the movie Top Gun.

StayonTarget if you would like to add this to your post let me know and ill delete my post:drunk

Borderlands 2 : Giant Double Rainbow What does it mean?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKu4RP3QgUE&feature=plcp]Borderlands 2 : Giant Double Rainbow What does it mean? - YouTube[/ame]

Borderlands 2 : Shoot This Guy in the Face (Secret) - Hangover Easter egg Achievement | Trophy Guide

This is a funny (Secret) Achievement go to Starting from Sanctuary/Sanctuary Hole enter Three Horns - divide, then go southwest to Three Horns - Valley, then go west to The Fridge, then go northwest to The Highlands - outwash, then go west to The Highlands, then go southwest to Thousand Cuts, Then go Northwest to find the mission.

he will ask you to shoot him in the face. so all you have to do is shoot him in the face LOL in the video you will see the location on the map :locked

this seems like a hangover reference "IN THE FACE" so this maybe a Easter egg as well

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLDZl5DkIY&]Borderlands 2 : Shoot This Guy in the Face (Secret) - Hangover Easter egg - YouTube[/ame]

Borderlands 2 TMNT Splinter Easter Egg!!!!!

Once you reach Sanctuary, talk to Dr. Tannis in the Crimson Raiders HQ to unlock the "Splinter Group" Level 14 side-quest. The description of the mission reads: "Patricia Tannis has hired you to find and kill four dangerous mutated escapees from the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve. They're hiding out in Bloodshot Stronghold, but be careful; they are well-armed, and color-coordinated." If the mission is not available, try completing some more story missions, and keep checking back after completing each one until you are given the mission. To gain access to their Sewer hideout, you must pretend to be a pizza deliveryman. Use the intercom, and the sewer grate will open. After jumping down, you will enter the Rat's Nest. Interact with the table ahead to place a pizza to attract the mutants. Once they reveal themselves, you will see their referential names: Lee, Dan, Mick, and Ralph. They are indeed color-coordinated, have shells on their backs, and use the same weapons as their corresponding turtle. Additionally, after turning the mission in, the mission debrief says "References!" This entire mission is a reference to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who are four talking turtles that starred in their own series of comics, movies, and cartoons. Each has their own ninja weapon, are color-coordinated, and named after classical Italian painters.

You can also fight an enemy named Flinter by proceeding through the Rat's Nest in Bloodshot Stronghold. Once you reach an area with multiple objects that you can interact with, you must interact with each item a certain number of times in a specific order. Turn the wheel two times, press the button on the TV three times, pull the switch on the ground three times, and then pull the lever on the wall to the right of the switch on the ground three times. After a few seconds, Flinter will appear. He will drop some rare loot once he has been defeated. Flinter is a reference to Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He was the four turtles martial arts teacher.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnblfeHf1XA]Borderlands 2 TMNT Splinter Easter Egg!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Borderlands 2 Secret Cave

i found a Secret Cave that lets you under the map.

glitch or Easter egg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjLYc1EntWU]Borderlands 2 Secret Cave - YouTube[/ame]

Borderlands 2 Minecraft Easter Egg!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voSNGNIH7pI&feature=plcp]Borderlands 2 Minecraft Easter Egg!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

This borderlands 2 Easter egg it is a reference to Lord of the rings :drunk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWUjOK1Yz0]Borderlands 2 : Lord of the Rings Easter Egg - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by deathmule

A couple.

One of Crazy Earl's lines when you talk to him at the Black Market is "It's too dangerous to go alone!" Reference to a line in the original Legend of Zelda; "It's too dangerous to go alone, take this!"

On the Assassinate the Assassins, I believe the last Assassin you kill (name forgotten) drops a gun called "Thre Dog". Possible allusion/reference to Three Dog, a character from Fallout 3.

Several of Zer0's lines involve the use of "trap card" and the "activation" of it. Obvious reference to Yu-Gi-Oh.

Legendary Gun titled Pitchfork with the red text; "Mainstream'd". Clear reference to this video, "pitchfork" being an allusion to Randy Pitchford.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUJrKGN3C0]Borderlands is for Real Gamers (IGN Originals) - YouTube[/ame]

The quest that has Mordecai employing you to find secret treasure is a reference to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Carson refers to Bill Carson from the movie and I just saw they buried it in a grave, same as the movie. Haven't finished the mission yet but I recall it being buried in a grave marked Unknown next to Arch Stanton. Curious to see how this plays out.

And if you've never seen the movie you're missing out. Absolute classic.

That is actually a reference to the song "Bein' Green" which was originally sung by Frank Sinatra. Later it was covered by Kermit the Frog. The songs most famous line is "It's not easy being green". I don't believe it has anything to do with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Bandits will sometimes say "Never should have come here!" which is exactly what the bandits in Skyrim constantly say.

I've come across a Sanctuary Citizen in Moxxxi's Bar that says "I used to be a Vault Hunter, til I took a bullet to the knee."

Challenges

-It's not easy looting green - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reference(?)

Pretty sure that's a reference to Kermit the Frog - "It Ain't Easy Being Green."

I love that the game makers put this in the game.

The volleyball scene in "Top Gun" is for certain "men" (or for the ladies).

Being an avid volleyball player, those guys were awful at technique.

Plus, the shirts being off was overkill. But I get the point.

I was happy to kill the 3 shirtless pilots w/ sunglasses on once I burned their volleyball net.

Very funny though. These references are fun.

Edited by E vee dub

I love that the game makers put this in the game.

The volleyball scene in "Top Gun" is completely homosexual (or for the ladies).

Being an avid volleyball player, those guys were awful at technique in playing volleyball.

Plus, the shirts being off was overkill. But I get the point.

I was happy to kill the 3 shirtless pilots w/ sunglasses on once I burned their volleyball net.

Very funny though. I love all the references in Borderlands 2.

I believe the term you were looking for is homoerotic, not homosexual.