Possible fix for getting the Falkreath plot

Tehlamah

Me like many others didnt get any options to buy or talk to the jarl/steward. But after reading around i found out that there are a couple of quest that blocks you from getting any new conversation with them.

If you have any of the following in your quest list, make sure you complete them and talk to the jarl/steward again. Atleast it worked for me :)

Getting the book The Mirror for captain Aldis in Solitude

Getting a Mammoth Tusk for Ysolda in Whiterun

Getting the book Song of the Alchemists for Lami in Morthal

Getting the book Night falls on Sentinel for Rustleif in Dawnstar

Getting an Amulet of Arkay for Torbjorn Shatter-Shield in Windhelm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm that you need to do favors for the Jarl in Falkreath to purchase the land, and when I would try to talk to the Jarl, I wouldn't get any options to do quests for him. I did have the Mammoth Tusk quest for Ysolda, so I finished that and went back to the Jarl and his quests appeared. I finished the two quests and was able to buy the land.

Hope that helps.

To be even more clear, his first quest is retrieving one bottle of Black Briar mead from Riften, and the second involved killing Bandits at Bilegulch Mine.

I was able to complete the quest mammoth tusk for ysolda and then do one quest for the jarl in Falkreath. Now I am stuck again, I do not recieve a quest from the jarl to kill bandits. Any help?

Have you done the sidequest in falkreath ? (like the 2 dedric quests?) you have to be popular to get the "kill the bandits" quest since its the last one before they make you a thane.

Few bits of info on my main character's game that someone might pick up on and spot a problem:

- Thane in all areas with weapons to prove it

- 100 all skills and halfway through 81 to 82

- Finished main questline and all available faction quests including Dawnstar

- Killed Halverd in DB quests although after reloading a totally different save from another character who has also killed Halverd and that one had no problem so Halverd is not a deciding factor but might affect the disposition of Siggdeir in conjunction with other factors.

- I have none of the OP's blocking quests active, they're all completed HOWEVER I do have a miscellaneous quest of some bounty needing to be handed in to Jarl Skald who has been booted out of Dawnstar after the Imperial side quests. He says nothing other than to tell me s*d off and won't complete the hand-in portion, neither will the quest on my list change from inactive to active to appear on the map as an arrow. I've tried clicking it several times but it just stays as the diamond instead of the arrow.

I have some other item hand-in quests like Shalidor's writings that I can try to complete but nothing else that relates to any of the Jarls or stewards. Apart from the Skald quest above can anyone think of a reason from the points above that I'm having the Falkreath land plot problem and any way to fix it? I'd be EXTREMELY grateful! :)

P.S. One more thing I just noticed: The older character that HAS managed to get all 3 plots and houses bought and created (although the achievement hasn't kicked in) still has the Amulet of Arkay ACTIVE in his quest list so that is NOT a blocking quest to getting the Falkreath plot of land.

GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Edited by buggss

Few bits of info on my main character's game that someone might pick up on and spot a problem:

- Thane in all areas with weapons to prove it

- 100 all skills and halfway through 81 to 82

- Finished main questline and all available faction quests including Dawnstar

- Killed Halverd in DB quests although after reloading a totally different save from another character who has also killed Halverd and that one had no problem so Halverd is not a deciding factor but might affect the disposition of Siggdeir in conjunction with other factors.

- I have none of the OP's blocking quests active, they're all completed HOWEVER I do have a miscellaneous quest of some bounty needing to be handed in to Jarl Skald who has been booted out of Dawnstar after the Imperial side quests. He says nothing other than to tell me s*d off and won't complete the hand-in portion, neither will the quest on my list change from inactive to active to appear on the map as an arrow. I've tried clicking it several times but it just stays as the diamond instead of the arrow.

I have some other item hand-in quests like Shalidor's writings that I can try to complete but nothing else that relates to any of the Jarls or stewards. Apart from the Skald quest above can anyone think of a reason from the points above that I'm having the Falkreath land plot problem and any way to fix it? I'd be EXTREMELY grateful! :)

P.S. One more thing I just noticed: The older character that HAS managed to get all 3 plots and houses bought and created (although the achievement hasn't kicked in) still has the Amulet of Arkay ACTIVE in his quest list so that is NOT a blocking quest to getting the Falkreath plot of land.

GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Pattern: Many different things can work to fix the problem. Some things that work for some do not work for others. This DLC has pissed just about everyone off in someway.

The dlc is bugged. Courier came up to me to give me 2 letters. But he only gave the adoption letter. The house deed letter telling me to go to falkreath and the other two locations wasn't even in my inventory ffs. Reloaded just to make sure and same thing.

I decided to go the the three locations anyway. Im a Thane in Morthal but I couldn't buy any plot of land. I've spent 2 hours trying to figure out why. Lame developers. Useless dlc.

HOWEVER I do have a miscellaneous quest of some bounty needing to be handed in to Jarl Skald who has been booted out of Dawnstar after the Imperial side quests. He says nothing other than to tell me s*d off and won't complete the hand-in portion, neither will the quest on my list change from inactive to active to appear on the map as an arrow. I've tried clicking it several times but it just stays as the diamond instead of the arrow.

Sorry, I just saw this now (in reference to my other post) and I have the same predicament. Except the Skald in my game is already in Solitude, since I supported the Empire, and all Stormcloak supporters were placed there. I'm fairly certain this it.

From what I can see so far, it's the radiant quests, a combination of them, or varying versions of them are preventing the Jarl of Falkreath from offering the land. As you have pointed out, it's not Helvard, nor the Jarl, perhaps not even Nenya we should we worried about. Of course, I'm not sure, but until a fix is released, all we can do is try other possibilities. :-/

Taken from the Bethesda Forums

"Where do I start Hearthfire?

If you have already completed tasks for the jarls of Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar and earned their trust, you will receive a letter from the steward of their respective towns letting you know that land has become available for purchase. Receipt of this letter is required in order to be able to purchase land. You will receive a iscellaneous objective, and a quest target that points to the Steward or relevant authority of that hold.

If you have not yet earned the trust of the Jarls, you will receive a letter via Courier once your character is level 9 or higher. The invite will allow your character to visit and learn about the benefits of working for them and the possibility of buying land. If your character is already level 9 or above when Hearthfire is first installed, you will soon receive the letter from a Courier while visiting a town or settlement.

How do I gain the ability to purchase a land plot?

You must earn the trust of the Jarl for the area you wish to purchase land in (Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar). Each hold requires some specific favors or quests to be completed to earn that Jarl’s trust. After doing these, you will receive a letter informing your character that the land is available for purchase. This letter is required for purchase.

What are the specific requirements for getting land in each hold?

For Falkreath: You must complete the “Rare Gifts” favor, and the “Kill the Bandit Leader” favor. You may then buy land from Steward Nenya.

For Hjaalmarch: You must complete the quest “Laid to Rest”. You may then buy land from Steward Aslfur.

For Dawnstar: You must complete the Daedric Quest “Waking Nightmare” and then the favor “Kill the Giant”. Please note that this favor has the prerequisites of being level 22 or higher, and having had previously completed the “Waking Nightmare” Daedric Quest. At this point, you can then buy land directly from Jarl Skald the Elder."

I was stuck with Falkreath but i did all the misc rare gift quests, once i did all them i was able to buy land from the Jarl in Falkreath.

"Rare Gift Quests

Edited by iNu

That's the main problem and what happened to me and I think also to many players unfortunately :(

These news is from wikia : http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Lakeview_Manor

"Siddgeir may not be able to offer it either. If you happened to have already killed Siddgeir's housecarl, Heldvar, during the Dark Brotherhood quest, then this action will "cancel" out the chance to buy the deed from him or Nenya. This happened even when being Thane. You are unfortunately going to have to settle for the other 2 houses the Hearthfire DLC has to offer until there is a fix for this issue."

Pattern: Many different things can work to fix the problem. Some things that work for some do not work for others. This DLC has pissed just about everyone off in someway.

Tell me about it....

If you have already completed tasks for the jarls of Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar and earned their trust, you will receive a letter from the steward of their respective towns letting you know that land has become available for purchase. Receipt of this letter is required in order to be able to purchase land. You will receive a iscellaneous objective, and a quest target that points to the Steward or relevant authority of that hold.

If you have not yet earned the trust of the Jarls, you will receive a letter via Courier once your character is level 9 or higher. The invite will allow your character to visit and learn about the benefits of working for them and the possibility of buying land. If your character is already level 9 or above when Hearthfire is first installed, you will soon receive the letter from a Courier while visiting a town or settlement.

You must earn the trust of the Jarl for the area you wish to purchase land in (Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar). Each hold requires some specific favors or quests to be completed to earn that Jarl’s trust. After doing these, you will receive a letter informing your character that the land is available for purchase. This letter is required for purchase.

For Falkreath: You must complete the “Rare Gifts” favor, and the “Kill the Bandit Leader” favor. You may then buy land from Steward Nenya.

For Hjaalmarch: You must complete the quest “Laid to Rest”. You may then buy land from Steward Aslfur.

For Dawnstar: You must complete the Daedric Quest “Waking Nightmare” and then the favor “Kill the Giant”. Please note that this favor has the prerequisites of being level 22 or higher, and having had previously completed the “Waking Nightmare” Daedric Quest. At this point, you can then buy land directly from Jarl Skald the Elder."

I was stuck with Falkreath but i did all the misc rare gift quests, once i did all them i was able to buy land from the Jarl in Falkreath.

"Rare Gift Quests

Thanks for the info but even if it's from Bethesda it isn't reliable in all cases.

One of my characters who was able to buy the Falkreath land with no problem at all still has the Amulet of Arkay quest very much active and incomplete so that's not a definite obstruction.

Sorry, I just saw this now (in reference to my other post) and I have the same predicament. Except the Skald in my game is already in Solitude, since I supported the Empire, and all Stormcloak supporters were placed there. I'm fairly certain this it.

From what I can see so far, it's the radiant quests, a combination of them, or varying versions of them are preventing the Jarl of Falkreath from offering the land. As you have pointed out, it's not Helvard, nor the Jarl, perhaps not even Nenya we should we worried about. Of course, I'm not sure, but until a fix is released, all we can do is try other possibilities. :-/

Solitude? You sure? I sided with and completed the Imperial side in the civil war and all the Stormcloak Jarls and stewards are sitting in the palace of the kings in Windhelm at the big banquet table.

That's the main problem and what happened to me and I think also to many players unfortunately :(

"Siddgeir may not be able to offer it either. If you happened to have already killed Siddgeir's housecarl, Heldvar, during the Dark Brotherhood quest, then this action will "cancel" out the chance to buy the deed from him or Nenya. This happened even when being Thane. You are unfortunately going to have to settle for the other 2 houses the Hearthfire DLC has to offer until there is a fix for this issue."

Nooooooooo!!!!! (That's at Bethesda, not you :) )

Again even if that's official it's wrong, one of my characters still has Heldvar dead leaning over a bannister in the Jarl's longhouse as I got the new steward/housecarl announce herself to me and the steward did let me buy the land deed.

Something else is wrong here.

Nooooooooo!!!!! (That's at Bethesda, not you :) )

Again even if that's official it's wrong, one of my characters still has Heldvar dead leaning over a bannister in the Jarl's longhouse as I got the new steward/housecarl announce herself to me and the steward did let me buy the land deed.

Something else is wrong here.

mmmm.... perhaps it is my and other players case cause I really don't know what to do to get the option to buy :-(

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !

Is that a radiant kill X person quest, looking through DB i dont see a kill that name quest in the main line.

"Rare Gift Quests

Ive done none of the rare gifts quest. Dude wants me to bring him a drink.... then, as you say, he will ask me to kill a bandit.

The other rare gift quests arent even for Falkreath. I think its if you have those open he wont give you the get him booze rare gift quest.

Once those are done, you may be able to buy it right away... or you may have to wait for the mailed invite.

Edited by ShaggyB

Is that a radiant kill X person quest, looking through DB i dont see a kill that name quest in the main line.

No, the DB quest we're talking about is the one they tell you to kill Heldvar, however I have one game where he's dead and I can buy the land and another character's game where he's also dead but I can't buy the land.

The radient quests we're on about are where one of the stewards has given you a bounty for the jarl asking you to kill a bandit, a dragon or a giant.

One of the differences I have between my 2 characters is that the one who can't buy the Falkreath land and gets nasty comments off the Falkreath jarl has a radient quest to hand in in my misc quests telling me to return to Skald for the bounty. I cannot do this as he won't talk to me and I can't toggle that quest to active for some reason which I've never seen before.

However as everyone who's having trouble seems to be having their own problem I'm thinking the main focus of the problem is the Falkreath jarl and we all have our own causes for him to be a bit of a git. :D