5 of 12 Achievements revealed!!

daevv

From this 4 minute IGN developer commentary video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0SM6cOTVbc]Minecraft XBLA: Developer Commentary - YouTube[/ame]

10G Getting Wood - Attack a tree until a block of wood pops out.

10G Taking Inventory - Open your inventory.

10G Benchmarking - Craft a workbench with four blocks of planks.

10G Time to Mine! - Use planks and sticks to make a pickaxe.

10G Time to Strike! - Use planks and sticks to make a sword.

I guess the rest are same as the PC ones but you actually see the 360 ones pop and the gamerscore value in the vid.

~d

Edited by daevv

Reasonable enough. One of the biggest issues with Minecraft (at least before they implemented their own achievements) was that it was very hard to figure out without using a guide. You didn't know how to craft essential items like tools and torches, didn't know how to really survive the night efficiently. The in-game achievements definitely made things easier (though I obviously still recommend using the Minecraft wiki), so it only makes sense to mimic them with the Xbox achievement.

But, before anybody looks at those first 5 and goes "Oh this'll be a 15 minute 200" you could be in for a surprise. Looking at the current in-game achievements, things start to pick up a bit after you the sword achievement. Hopefully the Xbox incorporates "The End" into its achievement list, which will make users experience a great deal of the game (possibly even getting them sidetracked from achievements all together :p).

But even if all the achievements are super simple, I couldn't fault it; this game isn't about gamerscore, it's about the game. The game doesn't end at 200G, and hopefully achievement junkies (myself included) don't stop there.

Also seeing as Microsoft secured Minecraft exclusively for Xbox, I can see this being one of those Arcade titles that gets more than 12 achievements, as I didn't see an actual list showing 12 in the video. The extra achievements will also work with their purpose of guiding the player.

EDIT: Actually here's a direct quote of Notch's philosophy on the achievements. This is referring to the in-game achievements but easily applies to Xbox achievements too:

“Achievements will NOT be chores like “cut down 10000 trees”, but rather challenges like “ride a pig off a cliff”. Stats, however, will be used to keep track of how many trees you have cut down. The long term plan is to show achievements and stats from the profile page on minecraft.net as well, in case you want to brag.„

EDIT 2: Additionally with the achievement structure, the Guide/Roadmap should act as a very nice tutorial.

Edited by Veedrock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be cool if Minecraft was one of those Arcade titles that gets 20 achievements instead of 12. I think it's popular enough that it could be up there with Burnout and Perfect Dark as a 20-achievement XBLA title...

...because the 6 achievements posted in this thread thus far LITERALLY take about 10 minutes to do (just watch the video, the guy playing it gets them almost right away within the first minute of commentary). That's half the achievements in the game right there. Done. That's crap.

There's so much to do, and the game already keeps track of so many variables. Slay an Enderdragon. Discover/mine a diamond. Build a redstone circuit. Construct an enchantment table with maximum boosted enchantments. Create one of every type of potion. Wear a complete set of enchanted armor.

But no. Open inventory. Chop down a tree. Make a table. Make a pick. Make a sword. Kill one monster.

For a game based entirely around creative sandbox building those are some crap achievements.

Edited by Drake O'Phile

I was at Minecon.

The beta had 18 achievements. This is what I remember.

Making a furnace

Taming a wolf

Making a pick

Making a better pick

Smelting iron

Getting wood

Making a crafting table

Getting leather from a cow

Catching and cooking a fish

There were more. But this is what I remember.

• 2 months later...
I was at Minecon.

The beta had 18 achievements. This is what I remember.

Making a furnace

Taming a wolf

Making a pick

Making a better pick

Smelting iron

Getting wood

Making a crafting table

Getting leather from a cow

Catching and cooking a fish

There were more. But this is what I remember.

That seems a little more towards what they should be. No way they are as simple as the ones on the PC. Even the ones above are a little simple. I was more difficult ones along the lines of,

Makes 5 portals

Destroy a spawner for each monster

Destroy 100 glowstone blocks in the nether

Kill 30 ghasts

Beat the all of the goals on 5 custom maps made by other players.

etc...You know harder ones...

I really wish this would be 1000g

Edited by Foxxy kyle