Repairing the Phial Glitch - Possible Spoliers

Giltec

I carried out the White Phial quest for Nurelion in Windhelm. His apprentice then says he will contact you when he researches a bit more (something like that anyway).

Several days later I get a courier speak to me in Whiterun saying that the apprentice, Quintus, wants to see me. I ignore the quest for a while as I am tied up doing something else.

I plod along and am making a few potions. The Briar Heart I already have (before getting the courier) cannot be used in any potions. I decide to try and sell the Briar Heart and can't. Think nothing of it, then continue.

I then decide to go and see Quintus in Windhelm to finish off this quest as I am trying to get the achievement for side quests. Speak to him and get the quest. One of the items required is a Forsworn Heart (a Briar Heart). I think, great, only two others to find. I set about finding the other two items and my quest log still shows I need a Forsworn Heart and sends me off to Red Sword Redoubt.

Arrive, kill everyone and the quest icon is pointing to a dead Forsworn Briar guy. In his inventory is a Briar Heart, which I take along with everything else. The quest icon is still pointing to him but he has nothing left to take. I now have 2 Briar Hearts in my inventory.

I try to return to Quintus but nothing happens. Return to Red Sword Redoubt (quest marker still showing), dead guy still there but with an empty inventory. Doesn't look like I can finish the quest.

Has anyone else had this issue? If not, did you have a Briar Heart in your inventory before Quintus' courier found you?

Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same problem. Progressed to the point to where you get the Briar Heart, got the other 2 items, killed the guy that has the heart and the quest still points to him. Nothing I can do with Quintus since his conversation options talk about the 3 ingredients you need still. Returned to Sundered Towers and the guy is still there dead with the quest pointing to him after I've taken the heart.

Thing is.. I already had happened upon Sundered Towers and cleared it out before I had even started the quest and already had 2 Briar Hearts on me. I wonder if that is what's causing the glitch. Has anyone completed this quest without ever getting a Briar Heart beforehand maybe?

..Another thing that's strange is.. before I even started this quest, when I happened upon Sundered Towers, it advanced my mission about the Red Eagle once I killed the leader and it told me to investigate the towers, but gave me no cursor to follow. I had to look online to find out where to go and that I had to kill that undead king guy with the powerful sword. Just seems like a really glitchy area for quests.. hopefully they fix it in the upcoming patch.

Ooooo I'll give that a go. Do you mean I should try going to jail and breaking out and finding my things or serving my time and getting my things returned? Does it matter?

EDIT: Just tried all of the jail options and nothing worked for me, but worth a shot. I tried paying the fine, getting sent to the jail and sleeping, and I tried breaking out and retrieving my items. Oh well, hope it gets patched for whoever has already started the quest as well as those who haven't. Might as well go for that 1000-gold bounty in each hold achievement while I'm in a break-out-of-jail-and-kill-everybody mood... :)

Edited by Lord of Fate

Same thing here, looks like it counts any briar hearts in inventory as quest items just by receiving the letter. I have the letter but did not read it and the briar hearts already count as quest items. It would let me eat them but not drop them. I ate them all, read the letter, got the quest, talked to the guy, killed the marked forsworn, took the heart and it still did not count as the quest item. Looks to me if you have any briar hearts on you when you receive the letter it will glitch :(. I don't feel like going tat far back in my saves to complete it. First uncompleable quest I've had in 163 hours of play.

yeah i am the same

I already had 2 Briar Hearts on me that i couldn't drop before i even got the letter,so i thought i would get it done and then be able to drop the hearts...i now have 6 Briar Hearts on me and it still didn't progress,i have the two other items,they were easy to find and updated my journal when picked up,but not the briar hearts

The waypoint actually pointed to a Briar Chief i had already looted(so he has no heart anyway) before the letter came

I went and got the phial but never got the letter to start the next part of the quest =/ Ive already been to Sundered Towers for something else and agree the area may be glitched in relation to quests as ive got a cave location nearby that i cant fast travel to as ive "not discovered it" but apparently its also "cleared" XD

I went and got the phial but never got the letter to start the next part of the quest =/ Ive already been to Sundered Towers for something else and agree the area may be glitched in relation to quests as ive got a cave location nearby that i cant fast travel to as ive "not discovered it" but apparently its also "cleared" XD

How much of the Main Quest have you done?,i believe finding the top of the Throat of the World in the main quest is another required point for the second part

Also it takes 3 in game days for the messenger to find you and give you the letter

How much of the Main Quest have you done?,i believe finding the top of the Throat of the World in the main quest is another required point for the second part

Also it takes 3 in game days for the messenger to find you and give you the letter

That would explain it...I've done hardly any of the main quest. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me. I went to get the briar heart (don't know if I had any on me already). When I killed the marked guy, it updated a different quest in my list from a while ago. I took the heart for the quest I was doing, but it doean't show up in my inventory and the arrow is still over the corpse. :/

Must be a case of two quests crossing wires. You probably have to complete one before receiving the other? Or in the wrong order...this should be expected with such an incredible amount of quests available at any one time...

Bethesda have stated that quest patching will begin in January (in theory).

Same thing as others here. I had briar hearts on me when I got the quest. Then I went and killed the chief. He had a heart I picked up but it did not mark the quest as complete and I can't drop or use the heart in any way. I can drop and pick up other lootable alchemical/food items though, like Deathbells and it doesn't restrict me because they are quest items. I wasn't able to drop any briar hearts at all once I received the quest. The only solution I can think of is prevention: don't have any briar hearts in your inventory when you receive this quest.

In the meantime I'm faced with the dilemma of wondering: do I erase hours of work to restart at a point before obtaining the quest or wait for a patch that may never come?

Edited by HunterPDX

This is a game breaking glitch, so I had to reload my save from 3 hours ago, You cannot use or drop briar hearts from there on out. The only way to avoid it is to not have any briar hearts in your inventory when you receive the letter from the courier all the way until you talk to the phial guy. otherwise this glitch occurs and it sucks.

this also happened with the WolfQueen V6, I picked it up before getting the quest and now I cannot turn it in as well as having a permanent quest marker on my map. :uzi:

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of broken quests for me. And its so stupid on hiow it happens. Pick up a quest item before the quest and then i get the quest and now i cant turn it in..even thou i have it and it should work. Or the NPC's dont respawn.

I have a bounty for a dragon to kill but he wont show up. And its the same with the briar heart. Chucked him down the river and he still wont respawn.

When will there be a update to fix all of these problems

I had a briar heart in my inventory which it didn't recognise straight away so I just dropped it and picked it up again and bingo, find briar heart completed.

i wonder what you did differently,because we all can't drop the heart(as its a quest item that can't be handed in)

I've actually had the game fix itself and allow me to drop or eat the hearts (after being glitched in the quest and not being able to drop them), but it still didn't update my mission marker after I re-acquired one. So I'm not sure there is a way to fix this quest besides getting lucky.

You should avoid having briar hearts after quest The White Phial. You can get the next quest when you can go to Throat of the World. Also when you see courier runing at you just drop your briar hearts before he talks to you. :)

I would just store my briar hearts in my house always when I get one to avoid the glitch.

You could also wait after you completed quest The White Phial so you can get the quest as fast as posible. :)