Dragon Shouts Guide + Locations

Lewi

This guide was made in response to the myriad of threads and confusion about dragon shouts and their locations.

Introduction

Dragon Shouts are the shouting of words in the anciant language of Dragons. Each shout has a unique effect, consisting of three words of power. The more Words you know, the greater effect that the shout will have. In order to use the dragon shouts, you first must gain a dragon 'soul' which is obtained every time you call a dragon. NOTE: you must stand near the slain dragon for around 20 seconds after you have killed it, whilst it's skin disintegrates, in order to absorb the soul.

How to initiate a shout

When you have obtained a dragon word from a Word Wall, you must initiate the Words into a shout, using an available dragon soul. It is up to you where you choose to spend your dragon souls so make sure that you make the correct decision.

Go into the in-game menu (press B), and go left into magic. Scroll down to where it says 'Shouts' and a list of known Shouts and Words will be listed. Known shouts will be in pure white, while known Words (inactive shouts) will be faded, much like during speech options that have already been made. Choose the word you wish to learn and press X, and now that shout has been learned, press A to equip it.

How do I activate a full-powered shout?

To pull-off a fully known shout with all three words learned, press and hold RB. The shout will be automatically performed at its greatest power when holding the RB so no need to try and time it to intiate a three-word shout(this holds true for 2 word shouts as well).

NOTE: try practising a lower level shout when all three words are learnt, in case you want to use one shout and then another shortly after as a 3 word shout takes a lot longer to build back up.

Dragons WILL keep popping up after the main quest is completed so no need to rush around for the achievement

LIST OF ALL SHOUTS AND LOCATIONS

Name of Shout

Description

Wall Locations; Location (Hold): related quest (if any)

Note; those without a location or quest relation are simply locations

Animal Allegiance

This shout allows nearby animals to fight for you for a short time

Wall Locations

Angarvunde (The Rift): Dungeon quest: Medresi and the wandering dead

Ancients Ascent (falkreath hold): this is a dragon lair

Ysgramors Tomb (winterhold hold): Companions Quest: Glory of the Dead

Aura Whisper

Allows you to see all living or undead creatures, even through walls and such. Shout does not make a sound so is perfect for thieves, and sneak-type characters

Wall Locations

Northwind summit (The Rift): dragon lair

Valthume(The reach): dungeons quest: evil in waiting

Volunruud(The pale): Dark brotherhood quest: silence has been broken

Become Ethereal

While ehereal, you are invincible, but cant cast spells or attack or recover magic or stamina.

Wall Locations

Ironbind Barrow(Winterhold Hold)

Lost Valley Redoubt(The Reach)

Ustengrav(Hjaalmarch): Main Quest: the horn of Jurgen Windcaller

Call Dragon

Summons the dragon Odahviig.

This special shout is obtained during the main quest: The Fallen and can be used after the main quest.

It includes all three words of the shout so make sure to hold down RB!

Call of Valor

Each shout summons a different hero with unique equipment and abilities. Once again this shout is learned at the end of the main quest.

Clear Skies

Clears fog and weather. It also stops poison gas traps

Wall Locations

Learnt during the main quest: The Throat of the world

Edited by Lewi

Disarm

This shout allows you to disarm enemies up to a certain level, with the use of all three words obviously disarming the highest level enemies possible. Note; some enemies cannot be disarmed.

Wall Locations

Eldersblood Peak(Hjaalmarch): Dragon lair

Silverdrift Lair (The pale)

Snow Veil Sanctum (Winterhold): Thieves guild quest:Speaking with silence

Dismaying Shout

Makes enemies up to a certain level flee, similar to Disarm.

Wall Locations

Dead Crane Rock (The Reach): Daedric Quest: Pieces of the Past

Labyrinthian (Hjaalmarch): in Shalidors Maze

Lost Tongue Overlook (The Rift): Dragon Lair

Dragonrend

This shout forces a dragon to land and could be useful against the final dragon in the main quest if your focus is on melee.

Wall Locations

Learnt during the main quest: Alduins Bane

Elemental Fury

Increases damage output 30-70% depending on the number of shouts learnt, for a short time.

Wall Locations

Dragontooth Crater(The Reach): dragon lair

Kilkreath(Haafingar): Daedric Quest: Break of Dawn. Shout is actually outside of Kilkreath Ruins (thanks to Bubbameister)

Shriekwind Bastion (Falkreath Hold)

Fire Breath

Burst of fire setting enemies on fire.

Wall Locations

Dustman's Cairn (Whiterun Hold): Companions Quest: Proving Honour

Sunderstone Gorge (Falkreath Hold)

Throat of the World (Whiterun): Main quest: The Throat of the World

Frost Breath

Similar to fire breath, but this shout slows enemies and causes frost damage.

Wall Locations

Bonestrewn Crest (Eastmarch)

Folgunthur (Hjaalmarch): Side quest: Forbidden legend

Skyborn Altar(Hjaalmarch): Dragon lair

Ice Form

This is a wave of cold that freezes enemies solid, allowing you to run up and shatter them whilst frozen. If left to thaw, the enemies will recover, with some minor damage to their health

Wall Locations

Frostmere Crypt(The Pale): The Pale Lady

Mount Anthor (Winterhold): dragon lair

Saarthal (Winterhold): College of Winterhold quest: Under Saarthal

Kynes Peace

Stops animals from attacking you when entering their den.

Wall Locations

Ragnvald(The Reach): dragon preist lair

Rannveigs Fast(Whiterun)

Shroud Hearth Barrow(The Rift): Dungeon quest: Wilhelms scream

Marked for Death

Weakens enemy armour and causes damage over time

Wall Locations

Autumnwatch Tower(The Rift): Dragon Lair

Dark brotherhood Sanctuary(Falkreath)

Foresaken Cave(The Pale): Side Quest: the White Phial

Slow Time

This actually stops time, allowing you to get the jump on enemies

Wall Locations

Hags End (the Reach): Dark brotherhood quest: the Feeble Fortune

Korvanjund(The Pale): Civil War quest: the Jagged Crown

Labyrinthian (Hjaalmarch): college of winterhold Quest: Staff of Magus

Storm Call

This shout calls upon a thunder storm which is especially useful to deal damage to dragons while they fly overhead. Be wary though as it also can hit civilians and followers

Wall Locations

Forelhost (The rift): dragon priest lair

High Gate Ruins (The Pale): dragon priest lair again

Skuldafn(Other Realm): Main Quest: World-eaters eyrie

Throw Voice

This is an interesting one as it makes no sound at your current location but instead at a target, drawing enemies to the sound. Good for stealthy characters. All words learned on one wall

Wall Locations

Shearpoint (The Pale): dragon lair and dragon priest lair

Unrelenting Force

This is the main shout learned during the early stages of the main quest. Causes enemies to stagger or get flung, depending on the strength of the shout

Wall Locations

Bleak Falls Barrow

High Hrothgar: both final words learned during the main quest :The Way of the Voice

Whirlwind Spirit

Causes you to rush forward at an lightning fast pace

Wall Locations

Dead Mens Respite(Hjaalmarch): Bard College quest: Tending the Flames

High Hrothgar (Whiterun): Main quest: the Way of the Voice

Volskygge(Haafingar): Dragon priest lair

Edited by Lewi

Where is the word wall during the Breaking Dawn quest for the Elemental Fury shout? I can't find it in there and I have the guide as well. I'm starting to think it's a typo. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: It's not inside Kilkreath it's outside right up the hill.

Edited by Bubbameister

Thanks for this! Does the Fire Breath shout only have two words? This is the one I've been wanting to complete, but I only have the first word. I will be subscribing to this thread for later use. :)

sorry bout that i just updated fire breath.

i will also update the kilkreath shout

i have also updated unrelenting force. i left it like that because i thought most people would be past that certain mission in the main quest.

Also, I can confirm that you DO not need to learn all sections of each shout to pop the achievement. I just got done getting the first part of Kyne's Peace (the last shout I needed) and Thu'um Master popped. This game seems to be a bit glitchy so I can't guarantee this'll work for everyone, but yeah you don't need to worry about getting all 3 words for each shout, just one each and you're covered. ;)

Also, I can confirm that you DO not need to learn all sections of each shout to pop the achievement. I just got done getting the first part of Kyne's Peace (the last shout I needed) and Thu'um Master popped. This game seems to be a bit glitchy so I can't guarantee this'll work for everyone, but yeah you don't need to worry about getting all 3 words for each shout, just one each and you're covered. ;)

o wow that's really interesting and kinda makes me breathe easier knowing I don't have to find 50 dragons to kill, but lately they've been popping up all over the place. I've got 8 free souls ATM.

If you want to be able to use the shouts that you already have, then you have to spend the souls on the shouts you want to be able to use.

For instance, say I have all the words for a shout for Frost Breath. In order for me to be able to use the shout, I have to spend dragon souls on it.

Is that what you are asking?

Edited by TombRaiser

Correct I have about 11 or so different shouts I have found words for, and have 9 dragon souls. Yet I can only use the force shout and the sprinting one still. And I do actually have one with all three words but can't use that one either. What am I not understanding?

You need to spend your souls on them. Its only 1 soul per shout, to buy them go into the magic menu, choose a shout and just press :xbut:

It says at the start of the guide that to unlock the words you found on a word wall you need a dragon soul already.

When I've finished my exams I will further update locations possibly with screen shots although they're not really that hard to find

Edited by Lewi