General F.A.Qs

master_shake_350

IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION PLEASE ASK HERE. Don't clog the forums up.

Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To find your answer quicker press control+f (apple+f) and type keywords.

General

Q. Where can I buy a WP?

A.

Canada

Oceanic

UK

US

Rest of the world

Electronic shops and Cellular/Moblie shops.

Q. What is the best WP on the market?

A. This is debatable as all WP7 have Pros and Cons.

Here is a comparison of most phones.

Here are all the phones that are currently available that run WP7/7.5

Siri on iPhone said the Nokia Lumina 900 was. (doesn't claim this anymore)

Q. Will Windows 7 handsets support Windows 8?

A. Unfortunately not the last we will get is Windows 7.8.

Q. WP8 is out, but WP7's are cheap now which should I get?

A. Seeing as you can get some WP7 on the cheap worldwide why not pick one up if you're going to use it soley for gaming. There is no word yet that they are halting development for games for WP7.

Q. iPhone, Andorid, Blackberry, Windows Phone or Symbian?

A. It is all down to what you want, there are many benefits and con's for each platform. Here are some links that might make things easier.

Android vs Windows Phone 7

Blackberry vs Windows Phone 7

iPhone vs Andorid vs webOS vs Blackberry vs Windows Phone 7 vs Symbian

iPhone vs Windows Phone 7

Q. Where can I find out about upcoming updates and scheduled releases?

A. To check the update status for your phone and carrier click here.

Q. What is in each update?

A. To find out what content is in each update click here.

Q. Do I need a contract or a sim card to use the phone?

A. A contract is not needed as you can connect to WiFi and for no sim:

You get a sim card error when you start the phone but this is easily bypassed by pushing the back button. You'll be on the home screen after that and you can connect to your Wifi and then go to the marketplace.

Q. I have a Mac, how can I put music, pictures and videos on my phone and vice versa?

A. You will have to download this program. (Note even though it says minimum is 10.5 you really need 10.6 for the app store to work.) Unfortunately you can't buy the games or apps for your phone on it.

Q. How do I get a custom ringtone?

A. Click Here

Q. My phone is filling up fast can I upgrade the memory capacity?

A. You can but this could possibly void warranty and unless you know what you are doing I would strongly recommend you do not try this. Some of the WP availible have removeable SD cards so its possible to put games etc on it (TBC)

Q. ARGH I have lost all my data is there anyway of getting it back?

A. Not unless you backed up your saves though Zune.

Q. Do I need antivirus software on my phone?

A. As of now there have been no viruses publicly announced, so its safe to say there is no need for one.

Q. Can I jailbreak my WP?

A. I'm guessing this is against the rules to discuss. Also if you have the money to buy the phone then you have enough money to pay for apps/games.

Edited by master_shake_350

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games

Q. How many games that support xbox live are available?

A. 100+ available for all regions.

Q. What games that support xbox live are available on WP8?

A. List of WP8 games As of now there are only 3 games.

Q. I got my nice new Windows Phone 8, dafuq why can't I get X game?

A. Some games that availble on WP7 are not compatible with WP8 at the moment but slowly one by one they are being patched. For WP7 games that don't work on WP8 click here.

Q. When do new Xbox Live games get released? And at what time?

A. Much like XBLA they come out on a certain day which is usually Wednesday. They usually come out at 12pm (+4GMT).

Q. I'm getting a WP soon or my WP is broken and I don't want to miss a deal like that, can I buy it without having the phone?

A. Yes you can, it acts the same way as Arcade games. Just find said game on the site and then proceed to payment. Now when you get your phone just enter your gamertag and the game should start downloading.

This does not work for the Nokia Exclusives.

Q. Someone has X game but I don't see it on the marketplace (if the game is released)

A. Usually the marketplace takes a life time to update, so if you are near a computer and have internet access on your phone, go here search for the game in question then you can click buy or try. Once you have clicked on one,a link to the game can be sent to you via email.

Q. Someone has X game but I don't see it on the marketplace?

A. EA and Nokia have exclusives, so the only way around that is to buy a Nokia Lumina. The deal for exclusivity is supposed to last 6 months for each game.

Q. X game was released where is it?

A. Jet Car Stunts is only available for phones that have Mango, so for the people using service providers that have not started shipping the update have you have to try forcing the update.

Q. Is it possible to buy games from other Marketplaces?

A.For WP7 unfortunalty not. So if you have an account from the US account you can't purchase Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

With Windows phone 8 this is possible.

Q. Can I buy WP7 games with Microsoft Points?

A. No unfortunately only Credit Cards/Debit Cards/Pre-Paid CC's are accepted. Also, On AT&T you can purchase games and have it charged on your monthly bill along with CC, However DLC can be purchased with Microsoft points.

Q. How can I install games from an SD card?

A. No, hopefully in the near feature they will patch it

Q. Finally an update came out how do I find out whats in it?

A. Usually this is shown when you are prompted to update a game. However if you missed that click here.

Q. I don't like the price of the game will it come down?

A. Games occasionally drop in price but on the Windows Phone 7 we get a special Deal Of The Week every Wednesday that runs for 7 days.

Price Guide

AUS

• (TBC), $3.00 (DOTW), $4.00, $6.50, $9.00, (TBC)

Europe

• €0.99, €1.99 (DOTW), €2.99, €4.99, €6.99, €9.99

UK

• £0.79, £1.49 (DOTW), £2.29, £3.99, £5.49, £7.99

US/Canada (TBC)

• $0.99, $1.99 (DOTW), $2.99, $4.99, $6.99, $9.99

Q. Are there any free games that net me achievements?

A. Yes there are some free games.

• AlphaJax - 200gs
  • Breeze - 50gs
  • Bug Village - 200gs
  • Contract Killer - 200gs
  • Flowerz - 200gs
  • Gun Bros - 200gs
  • Minesweeper - 50gs
  • Shuffle Party - 50gs
  • Sudoku - 50gs
  • Wordament - 200gs

Q. If I have a game on my xbox retail or arcade does that mean I get (insert game here) free?

A. Games like Pac-Man and Plants vs. Zombies are available on WP7 and the xbox live arcade however you will have to purchase both. But they have separate achievements which is good.

Q. X game has been delisted is it possible to get it?

A. No because the game is no longer available, however if the game is relaunched (Twin Blades) it will be possible to download it again.

Click here - As of Mango this no longer works.

Q. X game was announced and the achievements have been revealed when will it come out?

A. To be honest there is no way to find out, WPcentral will have the most up-to-date info out there. Some games like Time Pilot, Shoa-lins Road and the Game Chest games achievements appear and then the games disappear without a trace.

Unreleased games

Q. What about if I own a game that is delisted and I delete it, can I re-download it?

A. You cant re-install it once its off the marketplace. If its been delisited and you still have it you can still play it an earn achievements. Once its gone from your phone, its all gone... Be sure to get the 200 GS before you delete them.

Delisted Games

• Butterfly
  • Crackdown 2 Project Sunburst
  • Fast & Furious: Adrenaline
  • iBomber Defense (nokia exclusive)
  • MiniSqaudron
  • PES 2011
  • PES 2012
  • Star Wars: Battle for Hoth
  • Star Wars: Cantina

link

Q. I deleted X game then decided to reinstall it but all my progress is gone?

A. Game saves seem to be attached to the game rather then saved on the phone, so if you delete the game you delete your game save. The only game that I've noticed that keeps data is Wordament.

Q. Can I play WP7/8 games on my tablet?

A. No, the tablet uses the same marketplace as the Windows 8 operating system for computers.

Q. Are there any games that help out with the retail/arcade version or vice versa?

A. Games like Fusion Sentient and Fable Coin Golf can help you out in Fusion Genesis and Fable 3 respectively.

Multiplayer

Q. Can I play multiplayer?

A. Some games support multiplayer like Gravity Guy and Orbital where you and some friends can all play on one screen. Doodle Jump for example has multiplayer where the players take turns. Game Chest: Logic Games supports online multiplayer but it is turn based.

List of games that have multiplayer:

Local MP (one phone)

• AlphaJax
  • Doodle Jump
  • Gravity Guy
  • Orbital

Trading MP

• Fusion Sentient
  • Gun Bros

Turn Based MP

• AlphaJax
  • Battleship
  • Carcassone
  • Game Chest: Logic Games
  • Pro Pool Online 3

Wifi MP

• Pac-Man Rally Kart

? MP

• Wordament

Q. Do I need a gold subscription to play multiplayer games?

A. No. There have been some rumors that you will but this turned out to be false.

Q. My friend has X game on his (other than WP) can I play with them?

A. Some of the games that aren't Xbox Live enabled can such as Draw Something and Words With Friends. The only cross platform xbox live game is Wordament (iOS with WP)

Achievements

Q. Do all games on the Marketplace have achievements?

A. No only the games under the xbox live tab do.

Current game list

Q. X game is on WP7 and WP8 can I get achievements in both?

A. No, games like Angry Birds Space/Star Wars are availble on WP7 and WP8 however the WP8 version has achievements where as the WP7 version does not.

Q. Can I unlock achievements with out being connected to 3g or WiFi?

A. Yes and no. Some games are rather picky such as NFS Underground require you to be connected to live.

Games that require interent access

• Gun Bros (TBC)
  • Frogger
  • Fusion Sentient
  • NFS Undergound
  • Puzzle Quest 2
  • The Sims 3
  • Wordament

Q. I fulfilled the requirement for X achievement in Y game but it didn't unlock?

A. Some games are just glitched (see question below) but others are buggy and if this happens then you can try deleting the game and then re-installing it (as this also removes the game saves) and re-fill the criteria for it.

If you unlocked an achievement but its not showing up in your history, give it some time it will update.

Q. What games have glitched achievements on the WP?

A. Unfortunately there are some games that have glitched achievements, while some get patched there are some that have yet to receive patches. The reason behind glitched achievements is because the developers can't test the achievements.

Games with glitched achievements

• Brain Challenge HD - 5 achievements for 80gs
  • Contract killer - 1 achievement for 15gs
  • Crackdown 2 Project sunburst - all achievements for 200 gs
  • Deer Hunter 3D - 1 achievement for 25gs
  • iBomber Defense - 1 achievements for 10gs (TBC)
  • Lets Golf 2 - 1 achievement for 10gs
  • MiniSquardron - 1 achievement for 50gs
  • Picnic Wars - 1 achievement for 5gs
  • Real Football/Soccer - 1 achievement for 10gs
  • Revolution - 1 achievement for 20gs

Total - 435gs

More info

Q. I need a quick 200?

A. Click here

Q. I have finished a game (200/200) will there be any DLC for it to get more?

A. As of July 13th 2011 Beards & Beaks is the first WP7 game to get paid for DLC that can be bought with Microsoft Points but no achievements are attached to it.

Zombies!!! is the first and only game to receive paid DLC that includes achievements.

Q. Are there any games that are stackable?

A. Yes there are two games that stack. However to obtain them you'll need a WP8.

Stackable games

Real Football/Soccer (2) - 400gs *one glitched achievement.

• US
  • Other Regions

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (5) - 1000gs These will be in their respected languages.

• England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Spain

Q. OMGWTFBBQHAX an iOS game with achievements, will there be more?

A. This is unknown as of now.

iOS games that net you achievements for xbox

• Wordament - 50gs

Xbox Live

Q. If I live in a country that doesn't support XBL and have an account from another region (US,UK,Canada), How can I get games?

A.This is unconfirmed if it works anywhere else but I live in the United Arab Emirates and I buy my games using a Pre-Paid Credit Card. (I have an American account.) Questionable?

Does not work in:

United Kingdom

Q. Are they any other ways to by games if I don't have a credit card?

A. Seeing as you can't buy games with Microsoft Points and you don't want to use a credit card you can use paypal and Windows Phone app credit. However to use these 2 options you must have a WP8.

Q. Can I have two Gamertags on one phone?

A . No. So if you have a game that your friend doesn't want to fork out the money for tough!

Q. If I change my Windows Live ID what happens?

A. "I did this yesterday but it didnt automatically update on my phone and logged me out. Normally you'd think "Fine I can just login with my new ID", but how wrong I was. You can't change your primary Windows Live ID, there just isnt an option for it and you cant fully delete your old one either."

The only way to fix this is a factory reset but this means you will lose all your data on your phone.

Q. What happens if I change my Gamertag?

A. "I changed my gamertag a few days ago. I looked at the phone and the changes have been acquired without problems. It was like changing the avatar outfit."

Q. Help I can't sign in to xbox live when I click on my avatar!

A. If this happens to you, either uninstall the xbox live extras app then reinstall or turn your phone off then remove the battery. Or you can do both just to make sure.

(note: If you have no connection to the internet it will give you the same error)

Q. Can I have my account on more then one Windows Phone?

A. You can have the same xbox live account on 4 different phones.

Q. I have a WP7 and a WP8, can I have my gamertag on both?

A. Yes, same as above.

Useful Places

Apps (note: You will need Zune Software to download from the site)

WP on Micrsoft.com

WP7 on xbox.com

WPCentral

Thanks to

Arsenic 17, Banes, Dark Danji, eastx, InfernoFrY, isaaccummins, litepink, matthewh00, Pootcrum, shwarmaofdoom, Repo, VonThronstahl, yamayamayaamaa, Zebrasqual, Zeke1676.

Anymore questions that need to be spread let me now.

Nice thread, good job my man.

My only advice:

Strip the color formatting. Some of us use the black theme, and it's a pain to read when people use black text. Better to just leave it the default color.

-edit-

You might also want to link to the "Easy 200s" thread, as that is a very nice one.

Edited by Worhammer

Nice thread, good job my man.

My only advice:

Strip the color formatting. Some of us use the black theme, and it's a pain to read when people use black text. Better to just leave it the default color.

-edit-

You might also want to link to the "Easy 200s" thread, as that is a very nice one.

Ok will do.

How do I alter the color back to its original state.

Forgot to say thanks.

Ok will do.

How do I alter the color back to its original state.

Forgot to say thanks.

If you highlight all the text and click the button on the left side of the edit box (Two As with an x in them) It should remove all formatting except links. I'm not sure how to remove only the color formatting, unfortunately, but it shouldn't be hard to re-bold & underline stuff.

If you highlight all the text and click the button on the left side of the edit box (Two As with an x in them) It should remove all formatting except links. I'm not sure how to remove only the color formatting, unfortunately, but it shouldn't be hard to re-bold & underline stuff.

Cool, done it now thanks for that.

Awesome, looks great. Thanks for the hard work and good thread! I was gunna say "I hope it gets stickied" but apparently it already is. :D

Glad I checked before making myself look stupid.

The old thread was stickied but I ran out of space and had to make a new one, hopefully it gets re-stickied.

Q. What about if I own a game that is delisted and I delete it, can I re-download it?

A. You cant re-install it once its off the marketplace. If its been delisited and you still have it you can still play it an earn achievements. Once its gone from your phone, its all gone... Be sure to get the 200 GS before you delete them.

-------------

So even if I go to here (may require log-in):

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/account

I still can't redownload games that have been delisted?

Also, here is my question: If I download a demo for the game and it gets delisted, will I still be able to purchase it?

Thanks for your time!

-Joshua

Edited by knight_0f_kh0nshu

-------------

So even if I go to here (may require log-in):

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/account

I still can't redownload games that have been delisted?

Also, here is my question: If I download a demo for the game and it gets delisted, will I still be able to purchase it?

Thanks for your time!

-Joshua

As far as I know if you have the demo it was possible to purchase the full game.

I have looked though my download history and I found demos for all the games but even the delisted demos have gone.

I downloaded the deno for kinectimals now that it has been delisted, when i try to purchase through the game on the marketplace it says "Application not available

This might be because your phone software needs to be updated, the application is exclusive to a different mobile provider, or the app is not available in your region"

The marketplace must have been updated.

I downloaded the deno for kinectimals now that it has been delisted, when i try to purchase through the game on the marketplace it says "Application not available

This might be because your phone software needs to be updated, the application is exclusive to a different mobile provider, or the app is not available in your region"

This must have come with Mango then?

This game has been pulled. MS just released it as a tease with the official release date Wednesday 2nd November. This also means its not available even through the demo which has worked for other delisted games in the past.

See article here.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you say that games can not be purchased via MS Points but, by Credit Card which is fine. Is the credit card that will be charged the one linked with the Xbox Live Account or the credit card linked with the person's Mobile Carrier(Verizon, AT&T, etc)? Or is the credit card a new one you have to add to the phone altogether?

I know you say that games can not be purchased via MS Points but, by Credit Card which is fine. Is the credit card that will be charged the one linked with the Xbox Live Account or the credit card linked with the person's Mobile Carrier(Verizon, AT&T, etc)? Or is the credit card a new one you have to add to the phone altogether?

The credit card I am using bills from the same credit card on my hotmail/xbl account.

• 1 month later...
What's the Cheapest W7P on the market that I can get (present or past) that will allow me to unlock achievements?

Depends on your provider and if you're willing to go with a contract or not.

If you're willing to do a 2yr, you can get one for free from pretty much any carrier. If not....good luck, expect to drop several hundred bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice FAQ, lots of good info in there.

After reading it I was surprised about not needing a contract to use WP7 and that you could use the wifi connection for buying games and connecting to XBL. So just to clarify, you don't need any data plan or service from your wireless company? I ask because I already have a phone provided to me, so if I could avoid paying for a data plan and just use wifi for my WP7 that would save me some $$$. I know that I wouldn't have any phone/text features and I'd only be able to get on XBL where there was wifi, but the only thing I use the WP7 for is XBL games so losing those features wouldn't really impact me.

Has anyone done this successfully? thanks!

Nice FAQ, lots of good info in there.

After reading it I was surprised about not needing a contract to use WP7 and that you could use the wifi connection for buying games and connecting to XBL. So just to clarify, you don't need any data plan or service from your wireless company? I ask because I already have a phone provided to me, so if I could avoid paying for a data plan and just use wifi for my WP7 that would save me some $$$. I know that I wouldn't have any phone/text features and I'd only be able to get on XBL where there was wifi, but the only thing I use the WP7 for is XBL games so losing those features wouldn't really impact me.

Has anyone done this successfully? thanks!

You can literally start a WP7 phone up without a sim card, skip the insert sim prompt by pushing the back button, put in your Windows Live ID (same as Xbox Live ID) and connect to the internet via Wifi and your good to go. Handheld game console.