Mutator Information (Horde)

Hent High

So I spent the better part of yesterday trying to acquire mutators to make Horde on Insane all that much easier. Here are some things I discovered that may answer some questions:

1. One mutator that everybody seems to overlook is Instagib Melee. Anything you melee explodes and dies instantly, It requires you to get 200 kills as a Wretch in Beast mode, which really isn't all that difficult as I found myself earning between 40 and 60 kills per game online.

2. The Super Reload mutator is POWERFUL. You can kill a Reaver with half a Lancer clip after a perfect active reload. Everything else dies in just a few shots before Wave 11. Even the Snub Pistol is extremely powerful.

3. Infinite Ammo is infinite ammo, not endless clip.

4. IMPORTANT: When I mentioned Instagib Melee kills everything in one hit, I mean EVERYTHING, such as:

Berserkers

Lambent Berserkers

Brumaks (though not advisable since you will often go down just from being touched by his feet)

Corpsers

Boomers

Armored Kantus

Reavers, as confirmed by Phantomzero17

I have yet to try out the Big Explosions mutator. I was able to make it to Wave 15 of Horde on Insane...with one other person. It is worth the effort to unlock these.

EDIT: Oh and Instagib Melee kills anything in one hit regardless of difficulty, though doing so will need you half the points if you kill as boss creature with melee rather than weapons.

Example: Brumak killed with Melee on Insane +1400

Brumak Killed with Lancer on Insane +2800

Edited by Hent High

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a mutator noob so forgive me if the following is a stupid question:

Can the mutators be used in campaign aswell ?, you know so Insane is easier for me solo :D

Sorry, I wouldn't know for sure as I've only tested it in Horde, but I'm sure they work online in Arcade mode as well.

When the Reavers angle themselves downwards you can just barely smack them on the nose. This worked for me and buddy yesterday when we were testing out insta-gib melee. Made 1-50 on Casual a cake walk.

Now about the Brumaks. Where were you hitting them? I only killed one Brumak that way and it took three hits on wave 20. I'm not sure if it was because of the no clipping issue with the Brumak so you have to stand a little further back so the melee actually hits instead of phasing through them or what. We ended up just shooting the Brumak we got on wave 50 to death instead of risking dying via stomp.

When the Reavers angle themselves downwards you can just barely smack them on the nose. This worked for me and buddy yesterday when we were testing out insta-gib melee. Made 1-50 on Casual a cake walk.

Now about the Brumaks. Where were you hitting them? I only killed one Brumak that way and it took three hits on wave 20. I'm not sure if it was because of the no clipping issue with the Brumak so you have to stand a little further back so the melee actually hits instead of phasing through them or what. We ended up just shooting the Brumak we got on wave 50 to death instead of risking dying via stomp.

I was only able to melee the Brumak when it got caught in the grenade tunnel on Thrashball. I believe I hit its leg, but I do not advise it because it's much safer to just shoot it with weapons using the Super Reload effect.

Alright I'll edit the post about Reavers, to me it's not worth the risk of getting hit by it for a melee when half a Super Reloaded Lancer can take it out.

I'm currently on Wave 40 using Infinite Ammo (only starter weapons) and Super Reload. I'm doing this solo on Insane, and these mutators makes it a cakewalk.

Just before i killed two Brumak's in a row with OneShot headshots.

Which map? That's pretty impressive for solo, seeing as simply being downed equals death

Nice I'll have to try this how long did it take to get to wave 40.

It's not a fast way to complete it, but if you have patience this can net you the Insane medal for Horde. I'll upload some images of where i am sitting.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8797/billede0074.th.jpg

^ That is the safe spot i was talking about. If you sit there when the wave starts, and when the wave has begun, the enemies will be somewhat less aggressive, but still shoot after you from a distance. Maulers will typically stand still, but Boomers and Grinders are likely to move around a bit.

One thing you need to know, is that if you start moving slightly to the right, the enemies will start charging towards you. I did this to attract enemies when i was unable to kill them from a distance.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/221/billede0073a.th.jpg

^ This is what can happen when you sit in that exact safe spot on Brumak waves. It's unable to shoot you, but you can kill it from there.

Note - I'm using Infinite Ammo with the Lancer and Super Reload. Without the 2nd mutator, the enemies will take a ton of bullets to kill.

Edited by Vindicator51

Does the mutator voids the medals to obtain on insane?

^ can someone give us the complete lowdown on mutators. does any mutators void anything? medal progression? achievements?

ive seen multiple threads about mutators but none answer this 100%

so can anybody who has tested these let us know where mutators are ok and not ok to use.

thanks

^ can someone give us the complete lowdown on mutators. does any mutators void anything? medal progression? achievements?

so can anybody who has tested these let us know where mutators are ok and not ok to use.

thanks

Even with the mutators enabled, i'm still getting progress towards the Wave 50 achievement.

thanks

I just did horde 1-50 on casual with super reload mutator got the achievement and the medal.

It's not a fast way to complete it, but if you have patience this can net you the Insane medal for Horde. I'll upload some images of where i am sitting.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8797/billede0074.th.jpg

^ That is the safe spot i was talking about. If you sit there when the wave starts, and when the wave has begun, the enemies will be somewhat less aggressive, but still shoot after you from a distance. Maulers will typically stand still, but Boomers and Grinders are likely to move around a bit.

One thing you need to know, is that if you start moving slightly to the right, the enemies will start charging towards you. I did this to attract enemies when i was unable to kill them from a distance.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/221/billede0073a.th.jpg

^ This is what can happen when you sit in that exact safe spot on Brumak waves. It's unable to shoot you, but you can kill it from there.

Note - I'm using Infinite Ammo with the Lancer and Super Reload. Without the 2nd mutator, the enemies will take a ton of bullets to kill.

Thanks for the pics.

One thing to note is that Grenadier Elite, Sniper and one more can one-shot kill you from wave 30+.

Brumak and Reavers are really the best bosses for this method. If you don't get them, then die and restart wave untill you do.

One more thing is the base upgrades. Sentries will serve as distraction sometimes, and can be very useful. Only use Barbed Wire upgrades for this as well, because the later upgrades are useless in my opinion.

Edited by Vindicator51

i couldnt get instagib melee to work on lambet berserkers or kantus in wave 50. Do you have to hit them somewhere specific?

Kantus died every single hit for me. When all else fails though try for the face with everything thats vaguely humaniod due to the damage multiplier.

Try for the chest on Lambent Beserkers maybe? Idk I didn't personally kill one buy I saw one die via melee due to the kill feed on the left hand side.

thanks

Just wanted to say i was able to beat the final boss on insane and get the medal and achievement. I only used a mutator on it, and not the rest of the acts/chapters, but i doubt it would matter if you used it if you can use it on the final boss. Oh i only used the active reload mutator.

Not sure about horde, but wanted to say you can in campaign :D.

Also, thanks TC, this helped make the boss a slightly less annoying lol.