Favourite Gears moment #spoilers enabled#

bloodswan

As the title says what is your favourite moment in the Gears series. My favourite part in 3 was probably the level spoilt paradise as I enjoyed the music, the setting and enjoyed the healthy ammount of torque bow reloads but overall I thinkmy favourite moment is when you first encounter the therons in the original Gears at the pumping station. It just had an epic battle feel to it and I still remember the awesome soundtrack for that battle.

The submarine section in Gears 3 when you got to see the sunken city. To me that really hit the Gears of War theme of "Destroyed Beauty".

The entire series has the environments set up for the most part to display this theme. Although lighting styles and locales have changed most of the locations in game show some sense of this theme. Ephyra the Capital of the Coalition and one of its buroughs Timgad in Gears of War 1 we're shown to be bombed out ruins of their former selves. Not due to hammer strikes but to pure unending war and inability to maintain it all. This is where the Coalition was making its stand for 10 years until it finally fell to locust and it became the new front line. Old church yards, memorials, grave sites, historic monuments, and National treasures are burned out, turned to rubble, fading, cracking, covered in blood and ash, stained by gun smoke, and everything else that is familiar in a warzone. Ephyra was the heart of Tyrus. The heart of the Coalition and everywhere you went you got to see the destruction of the heart of nation, of a people.

Gears of War 2 took it a step further and in another direction. You got to see a pristine Alpine forest turned into a blasted out warzone being demolished by armored columns. You got to see a former serene hamlet be wrecked once again and experience the irony of disrupting the dead by tunneling in a grave site that its self is once again destroyed beauty. It's defiled in everyway imaginable and war once again calls you to defile it further. Later you see Ilima sink and even later you get to watch as Jacinto begins to sink and then flooded.

Gears 3 does it with the stadium, Char and Mercy, the sunken city, the Hotel on Azura, the way the Ravens Nest Carrier is changed from its stark Military beauty into a rusting floating commune far from the elegance it once knew. The wrecked bridge in Hanover that was such a cultural icon to the COG like the Golden Gate bridge in the San Francisco bay. All when you stop to appreciate it were done very well to bring out that sense of destroyed beauty.

This is also why I laugh at people when they say that Gears is supposed to be dark and gritty. From the get go EPIC stated with Gears 1 that the theme was destroyed beauty. These brigther locales and more colorful palletes when you realize what you are doing in them and what has happened to them, and what will be happening just furthers the theme. What has happened to Sera is a travesty.

I think my favourite moment is when you first encounter the therons in the original Gears at the pumping station. It just had an epic battle feel to it and I still remember the awesome soundtrack for that battle.

:p That's the "Yeah right, when was the last time you heard the wind say 'Hostiles?'" part isn't it?! Great stuff!...

One of my favourite parts of the series is where you see Cole do that Hollywood entrance in GoW2, my memory's getting cloudy but i'm sure it was a slo-mo three piece, (Saw+Splat+Grenade Tag?)

Quality!