How to unlock Mutations

Iceman9482

Difficulty Decreasers

-COMET (Decreases Points)

Earn the silver Shock Trooper medal (300 First Blood ribbons)

As you roadie run, you'll build up energy, letting you ram into enemies.

Method: KotH, highest rounds, Lowest points. Just run out kill and win, Then do it again.

UPDATE: Epic has lowered the amount to silver from gold.

-INSTAGIB MELEE (Decreases Points)

200 Wretch kills in beast mode

Melee attacks explode enemies

Method: Beast matchmaking, Pick the wretch and hop around, stun and swipe. Will come pretty quick if you start to get how to play as a wretch.

-SUPER RELOAD (Decreases Points)

Earn the bronze Master-At-Arms medal (100 kills with each of the starting 5 weapons)

Super damage for the amount reloaded, and extra ammo and clip size.

Method: KOTH 5 Rounds, 150 - 200 points, your choice. Just kill Takes about 20 mins a weapon.

-INFINITE AMMO (Decreases Points)

Earn the Combat Engineer pin 100 times (worked on 5 fortifications in one deployment in Horde)

Infinite ammo for all starter weapons.

Method: Horde Private. Put difficulty on Hardcore or Insane. Wave start at 1. Then Have a second controller give you their cash so you have 2000. Build a base. Then a turret. Get on the turret Fire a few shots. Get off and repair it. Repeat till you have the medal. Then die. Rinse and repeat. Clear your cache and don't connect to live. Do this to get more than 1 per wave. Much faster and you can get it in about a half hour.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQvlcPJrhw]Gears of War 3: How to get the Infinite Ammo mutator - YouTube[/ame]

thx to Callumpy for the video.

-BIG EXPLOSIONS (Decreases Points)

Earn the Hail Mary pin 100 times (Boomshot kill from over 200 yards away)

Bigger explosions, on both sides. =(

Method: 1. Load up Act V chapter II "Blackout" on casual in arcade. You MUST have at least two players (guest is fine). It REALLY helps to have on the Super Reload mutator as well.

2. Grab the Silverback BEFORE going up the elevator in the very beginning. It is located in the garage with a button cleverly hidden. take it up the elevator.

3. When the elevator gets stuck, take your sliverback down the "3" hallway, towards the end there is a breakable door with a boomshot (and cog tag if you collected it). Grab the boomshot and ditch the silverback.

4. Progress onward, saving your boomshot ammo and killing enemies until you get outside. kill the two reavers and turn the corner. After you see the MAELSTROM tower, Jace will say something about it and you'll get a checkpoint. This is where you do it.

5. Back up a tad bit and wait a little while, and when the flying dudes kinda bunch up, FIRE! if you are lucky, you can get up to 9 hail mary ribbons in one shot. Fire away until you are out of ammo (DO NOT kill the Armored Kantus or you will overwrite a checkpoint!). Once you have gotten 10-12 ribbons, reload checkpoint and repeat! 20 minutes and the mutator is all yours !

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjecFOqEoJ4&feature=player_embedded]Gears of War 3: Easy Big Explosions Mutator Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Thank You 1001puppys for the method! Here is his thread.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332250

Or Here is another very easy way to get it. Thanks to AbstraktumGER

Don't know if this is yet common knowledge but I found a way to get 100 Hail Marrys really fast without using the campange.

Start a custom Team Deathmatch. You don't need a second player. Fill all with bots. Choose 35 lifes. Take Gridlock and set all weapons to Boomshot.

After the game has started quickly go to the middle of the map where the Sniper Rifle normally is located.

Just stay there and fire on respawned enemies when the come across the corner. The distance is over 200 yards and because they respawn all toghther you can get 2-3 kills with one shot! You can find enough ammo where the grenades used to be.

Took me 4 games.

Difficulty Increaser

-ENEMY REGEN (Increases Points)

Earn the silver Aficionado medal (Playing 150 Chapters in Arcade mode)

Enemies will regain health over time if you don't kill them.

Method: Act 2 Chapter 7. takes about 3 mins to finish. Or do the 120 chapter/hour glitch.

-VAMPIRE (Increases Points)

Earn the Executioner pin 100 times (for having the most executions in a match)

Your health does not regenerate automatically, but you do earn health for dealing damage.

Method: Execution 1 min difficulty casual. Just kill as much as possible. And you shouldn't have a problem. Will take about 2 hours to finally unlock.

-MUST ACTIVE RELOAD (Increases Points)

Earn the silver Active Reloader medal (for actively reloading 2500 times)

The only way to reload is to perform an active reload.

Method: Play a private versus match and just keep firing a single shot. Fill-bots. 1 shot reload. It keeps adding if you get a perfect reload.

-FRIENDLY FIRE (Increases Points)

Complete the campaign in 4-player co-op

Teammates can cause damage to each other.

Method: Self explanitory

-NO AMMO PICKUP (Increases Points)

Unlocked to start

Cannot use ammo boxes, only scavange from weapons on the ground.

Fun Mutations

-BIG HEAD (No Point Change)

Earn the gold Horder medal (for playing 1000 waves in Horde)

Giant heads, "NBA Jam" style.

Method: If you need to play casual and keep doing 1-9 and then restart. Very easy. Otherwise just play Horde matchmaking and you can get a few pretty fast, but to do it alone you can knockout some of the other Onyx medals.

-PINATA (No Point Change)

Earn the gold Investor medal (for earning $500,000 in Beast)

Tokens drop from every kill. Picking them up earns you points.

Method: Just play Beast and try and earn as much points as you can. If you can use the Berzerker, use it and break as much as possible. Boomers also do alot of damage and can earn alot of points.

-FLOWER BLOOD (No Point Change)

Earn the silver King of COG medal (for earning 2.5 million total points in Arcade)

All blood effects are replaced by flowers.

Method: Act 2.7 on Casual. Very fast and easy plus alot of points. Or the 3.1 Glitch of redoing the last checkpoint. Both will net you this pretty quickly.

-HEADLESS CHICKEN (No Point Change)

Unlocked from the start

Enemies attack each other for several seconds after they lose their heads.

-LAUGH TRACK (No Point Change)

Earn the bronze medals for Tour of Duty (Finish Campaign on Casual), For the Horde (Finish Horde on Casual), I'm A Beast (Finish Beast on Casual) and Warmonger (Finish Arcade on Casual)

Adds an audible laugh track to the game.

Method: Look for boosting partners in the Trading Thread, and beat them on casual.

FAQS:

Q: Do these disable achievements?

A: No they do not, they just effect the XP earned based on which mutators used.

Q: What mode can I use these in?

A: You can use them in Horde and Arcade.

Q: Does instagib kill most bosses?

A: It does kill MOST bosses in 1 to 2 hits, but be warned, you can kill a brumak from melee but you can also die from getting to close to its foot. You have been warned. Does not work on Lambent Zerkers, or Reavers.

Q: What does Infinite Ammo affect?

A: It only effects starting weapons; Hammerburst, Lancer, Retro Lancer, Snub Pistol, Boltok Pistol, Gorgon Pistol, Sawed-Off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.

Edited by Iceman9482

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've gotten past wave 18 in a public? :eek:

Even if no one dies and we're doing great people just seem to leave.

I know tell me about it we i was playing on grid lock and we made it to wave 36 without failing one wave ( i don't know how but we did it) and then failed wave 36 and everybody quit. We even had one hell of a boss battle on wave 30 the berserkers where all but one died but i had just enough to buy back in and me and him battler them for at least 15 minutes was frick nuts. After that i was like we might do this but no. Sigh.

In a public with 3 random people and 1 friend we got to wave 30. kept failing on beserker boss wave because everyone was spread out.

Of the bosses i have faced the berserkers and by far the hardest yet. Especially on higher waves have yet to face the lambent berserker in horde mode but the battler in the camping was quite crazy on hardcore wonder what it will be like on insane.

maybe i'm just being naive, but i don't see how this is helpful. all of this information is found right in the game. the only thing it clears up is what some of the vague mutators do whose names aren't self explanatory, i.e. 'vampire'.

i thought this thread was going to list good methods for fulfilling the requirements. for instance, an easy/fast way to get 100 combat engineer ribbons, which is what i'm looking for.

maybe i'm just being naive, but i don't see how this is helpful. all of this information is found right in the game. the only thing it clears up is what some of the vague mutators do whose names aren't self explanatory, i.e. 'vampire'.

i thought this thread was going to list good methods for fulfilling the requirements. for instance, an easy/fast way to get 100 combat engineer ribbons, which is what i'm looking for.

Same here, does anyone know a good way to boost for engineer ribbons? Other than the obvious: play horde.

Same here, does anyone know a good way to boost for engineer ribbons? Other than the obvious: play horde.

Play Horde solo. You'll keep all the $, instead of having to share with teammates.

You won't get very far, but that's not really the point.

If you have to use a teammate, no more than 1 other person. Your skills with sentries, etc will increase a lot faster, too.

Now just to clarify, can the following be earned solely on Horde?

Earn the bronze Master-At-Arms medal

Earn the Combat Engineer pin 100 times

Earn the gold Shock Trooper medal

Play Horde solo. You'll keep all the $, instead of having to share with teammates.

You won't get very far, but that's not really the point.

If you have to use a teammate, no more than 1 other person. Your skills with sentries, etc will increase a lot faster, too.

Now just to clarify, can the following be earned solely on Horde?

Earn the bronze Master-At-Arms medal

Earn the Combat Engineer pin 100 times

Earn the gold Shock Trooper medal

Master in arms: you need to play versus for this. I boosted this on KOTH with bots. Took about 1 match per weapon.

Combat engineer: Horde only

Shock trooper: Everywhere besides arcade/campaign

I thought the same thing, so with that being said, found (what I think) the fastest way for these medals. You can only get on medal per horde deployment, not anymore. At least I havent been able to more than one in 43 waves. So, if you plug in a second controller and get one person to help you online this is what I found. Start a map, I've been using the dockyard style area don't remember the name sorry. Have your second controller give you the starting 1k and the other player give you the starting 1k. Get you first post, medals towards founder ;), and then buy 5 fortifications (1 decoy- 500, there are 4 small wires in both the West post and the South post, but South is closer to the spawn point). This will get you the founder and combat engineer medals for the round and help you level up your fortificaitions before even playing a round. Once you buy your stuff, quit out and start again. Takes about 2ish minutes each time but I havent been able to find a faster way. Hope that is helpful :woop:

Im sorry I kept saying medals and I meant ribbons.

Edited by xfactorhatesu
I'm fucking retarded.

Master in arms: you need to play versus for this. I boosted this on KOTH with bots. Took about 1 match per weapon.

This is what I hate. I bust my ass getting this medal to get Super Reload and people like you just exploit the game and get somthing you don't actually deserve.

Shame on you.