Faq

13ip0lar

So I thought I would make this thread as I searched the GoW3 forums and found nothing with FAQ in the title, and I had some fairly dumb, yet valid questions, I thought. Especially since the manual only has the control scheme on it. So please feel free to post any questions you might have about the game here. These are the one I have:

Anyways, question number one: I've got up a few times after being downed, but do you press A repeatedly or just hold it to get it up? I've done both and not sure which works. :S

Question 2: How do you get weapon specific executions? I was looking at the cheebment for it, and noticed every weapon basically has one. The reason I ask is because I thought, say holding b with the lancer and getting a chainsaw kill was an execution. When I hit b on a downed dude he only melees. Do I have to hold B then walk into the dude? If so then how does that work with the pistol? Same deal just hold B?

Oh and I guess my final question would be, is there any way to get different stock, weaponless executions? Like if I approach a downed guy a certain way and press Y as opposed to hold it? I only ask because it seems like I get the same 2 a lot, even when only hitting Y. The one where you straddle the dude and pummel him with both fists, or beat him with his own arm. I've got the curb stomp once, and that's all I can remember. Aside from grabbing a dude and snapping his neck after making him a shield.

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I am not afraid to ask, and I'm sure I'm not the only space cadet with dumb questions.

So I thought I would make this thread as I searched the GoW3 forums and found nothing with FAQ in the title, and I had some fairly dumb, yet valid questions, I thought. Especially since the manual only has the control scheme on it. So please feel free to post any questions you might have about the game here. These are the one I have:

Anyways, question number one: I've got up a few times after being downed, but do you press A repeatedly or just hold it to get it up? I've done both and not sure which works. :S

Question 2: How do you get weapon specific executions? I was looking at the cheebment for it, and noticed every weapon basically has one. The reason I ask is because I thought, say holding b with the lancer and getting a chainsaw kill was an execution. When I hit b on a downed dude he only melees. Do I have to hold B then walk into the dude? If so then how does that work with the pistol? Same deal just hold B?

Oh and I guess my final question would be, is there any way to get different stock, weaponless executions? Like if I approach a downed guy a certain way and press Y as opposed to hold it? I only ask because it seems like I get the same 2 a lot, even when only hitting Y. The one where you straddle the dude and pummel him with both fists, or beat him with his own arm. I've got the curb stomp once, and that's all I can remember. Aside from grabbing a dude and snapping his neck after making him a shield.

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I am not afraid to ask, and I'm sure I'm not the only space cadet with dumb questions.

I'm surprised that u haven't gotten any response yet. Might be the high number of threads being started in the Gears forum, but I digress.

1- while I've never tried holding "A", the tapping only helps you move faster to get to someone who's trying to pick you up. I had a friend tap "A" while I didn't as we were both downed and we lived the same amount of time.

2- tapping and holding buttons for different weapons will have different results. Also, in multiplayer, you have to get so many kills to unlock the weapon executions.

3- see #2, because tapping and holding "Y" does make a difference.

I'm surprised that u haven't gotten any response yet. Might be the high number of threads being started in the Gears forum, but I digress.

1- while I've never tried holding "A", the tapping only helps you move faster to get to someone who's trying to pick you up. I had a friend tap "A" while I didn't as we were both downed and we lived the same amount of time.

2- tapping and holding buttons for different weapons will have different results. Also, in multiplayer, you have to get so many kills to unlock the weapon executions.

3- see #2, because tapping and holding "Y" does make a difference.

Ok cool, I thought holding the whole A pushing was to get it up. Didn't realize it did that on it's own. Now I feel dumb for just sitting there and not moving while mashing A. -_-

I appreciate the answer about the executions to but even after you unlock them do you just do the standard Y button push with a weapon out to do it? I just unlocked the sawed off execution, but can't find an opportunity to try it in multiplayer.

Ok cool, I thought holding the whole A pushing was to get it up. Didn't realize it did that on it's own. Now I feel dumb for just sitting there and not moving while mashing A. -_-

I appreciate the answer about the executions to but even after you unlock them do you just do the standard Y button push with a weapon out to do it? I just unlocked the sawed off execution, but can't find an opportunity to try it in multiplayer.

The easiest way to perform a weapon execution once it's been unlocked is set up a 1 on 1 private match vs a casual bot. Shoot him in the legs (like with lancer) and while he's crawling, pull out the weapon and hold "Y". Sometimes it's a different button or a tap vs hold, but yes that weapon must be out. Hope that helps.

Was so making an FAQ when i saw this. suppose i'll just send them to you then.

Q: Why hasn't my Beta stuff unlocked?

A: You deleted the file, or it's corrupted, or it's glitched and might unlock at some random time in the future.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD ABOUT THIS: Use the forum tool on the right side of your screen to "search this forum" for others having this issue. keywords; beta, beta medal, flaming, flaming weapons, thrashball cole.

Q: Why does my ribbons tab still have a mark over it?

A: Glitched exclamation mark that shows you have new ribbons, when you actually don't.

Q: Why does the song play on gridlock?

A: It plays after every round where an ashen body wasn't destroyed.

Q: What song is that on gridlock?

A: Mad World by Michael Andrews

Q: Why do I know that song?

A: Any number of reasons. It's in the campaign. There's another version with Gary Jules in the movie Donnie Darko.

Was also the song in the first Gears trailer.

Original version of the song is from the 80s by Tears for Fears.
Edited by Grifter Reborn
Added info...

How do you give a weapon to an AI bot during campaign mode or arcade mod?. I've tried standing next to one and tap X and hold X, but nothing happens. I'm playing on campaign Insane and want to give bots power weapons to soften things up.

You have to hold your LT too.

I had a question about active reloads. Is there a way to find out what a perfect one does for each weapon? I had assumed damage, but my friend said that wasn't the case. He knew for a fact a perfect AR on a Lancer increased rate of fire. So my question was can someone list these for me? Or where can I find a list of what a perfect AR does for each weapon (power weapons included)?

I had a question about active reloads. Is there a way to find out what a perfect one does for each weapon? I had assumed damage, but my friend said that wasn't the case. He knew for a fact a perfect AR on a Lancer increased rate of fire. So my question was can someone list these for me? Or where can I find a list of what a perfect AR does for each weapon (power weapons included)?

I too would like an answer to this question. Whilst it's obvious on some weapons what a perfect active does, on some weapons it is not (Sawn Off, Mortar and Digger for example)

Good question. Try this first:

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=12551

Also, I've noticed a combo: some faster shooting(boltok pistol) some more damage(gnasher shotgun). Also, there's the mutator for super reloads which grants X5-damage. I'd be curious to see a full layout as well.

Lancer: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 30%

Retro Lancer: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20%

Hammerburst: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20%

Gnasher: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20%

Sawed-off: Active reload increases reload speed.

Longshot: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 10%

Tourqe bow: Active reload increases the size of the blast radius and splash damage by 25%

Boomshot: Active reload increases the splash damage dealt by 15%

Digger: Active reload increases the reload speed

Scorcher: Active reload increases the range

Mortar: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20%

Oneshot: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20% and shoots through Boomshields

Cleaver: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 30%

Snub pistol: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 20%

Boltok: Active reload increases the firing rate

Gorgon: Active reload increases the damage dealt by 30%

I have a Question about the avatar props on marketplace, well two in particular...

The barricade and guns look cool and I'm thinking of getting them to go with my carmine gear, but what I want to know is can you use them both as there is only the option of using one prop at a time on the editor.

It would be a shame if i could only have the use of either one for my avatar.

I have a Question about the avatar props on marketplace, well two in particular...

The barricade and guns look cool and I'm thinking of getting them to go with my carmine gear, but what I want to know is can you use them both as there is only the option of using one prop at a time on the editor.

It would be a shame if i could only have the use of either one for my avatar.

You can only use one prop at a time for avatars, so no you can't equip both at the same time. Would be sweet if you could though.

Also: Update on my post earlier(#5) now that I've had more time with the game. When next to someone that's DBNO(Down But Not Out) press the following for the necessary "executions."

Tap "Y" for curb stomp.

Hold "Y" for weapon specific execution.

Press "X" for meatshield.

Tap "B" for kick.

Hold "B" with lancer for chainsaw.

Hope that helps.

Thought this could use an update:

Q: Best way to gain XP?

A: If your wanting to play matches, KOTH. If you wanna boost, use the methods for Field Engineer medal.

Q: My medals, ribbons, rank reset! Why?

A: There's a few possible reasons but the first one to consider is built in safeguards against boosting and glitching. As posted by Snabes:

-Avoid selecting a storage device other than the one that contains your GoW3 save file.

-Avoid signing out of XBL with the game loaded.

-Avoid signing in guests or other profiles with the game loaded.

-Avoid being kicked off of Live due to internet connection issues mid game.

Q: Does mutators prevent achievements from popping?

A: No. Depending on which ones you're using, they either increase, decrease, or don't effect your XP gained.

Q: What is "kill stealing"?

A: When Player 1 downs an opponent and Player 2 gets the kill, Player 1 may call that stealing his/her kill.

Q: Is there a rule about "kill stealing"?

A: No. There are a few that complain about it and have been since Gears 1. If it was a "serious" issue, Epic would have made it to where the player that gets the down is the only one capable of getting the kill.

Q: I get harassed about "kill stealing"'all the time. What do I do?

A: There's several possibilities for you. For starters, report the player(s) harassing you to M$. If it's talk in the lobby, mute them or go into a private party to ignore them. If it's not fun to play public, play private. If the private room is filled with bots, you will still get kills, medals, etc.

Edited by Grifter Reborn

Another update...*sigh*

Q: What's the best method for getting my executions?

A: Play standard campaign, (single or co-op) NOT ARCADE. You can do All executions (Yes, that includes the CLEAVER!) except the arm rip. Get this one while playing as a locust...look it up, there's plenty of threads on this, especially the one devoted to executions.

Q: What's the first DLC? I think it's maps!

A: We all see the maps on the leaderboards (Azura, Rustlung, Blood Drive) and there's even videos on YouTube of people playing on them. However, what's been CONFIRMED so far is:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9686-Gears-3-DLC-Ditches-Marcus--Dom--Cole-and-Baird.html

We now know exactly what's in the 1st DLC coming in November. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9738-Gears-of-War-3-Horde-Command-Pack-DLC-Unveiled.html Now if there's questions or comments, please try the new sub-forum for the DLC or the "search this forum" in the Gears of War 3 forum. Thanks!

Q: Have you seen the LEGO Lancer?

A: Yes, we have:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332561

Edited by Grifter Reborn
New info...

A: No. There are a few that complain about it and have been since Gears 1. If it was a "serious" issue, Epic would have made it to where the player that gets the down is the only one capable of getting the kill.

This is entirely untrue. Epic could make it where others can still nab the kill, but for them it would give an assist while the original person who downed the opponent would still get credit as if it was them who killed the guy.

COD black ops does this with those in last stand, superb idea imo.

Maybe you should re-read the Q & A...

You listed a method of HOW Epic could have negated "kill stealing". The answer supplied was meant for NO OFFICIAL RULE on "kill stealing." If it was a "real" issue, they probably would have used the "last stand" method, in which you wouldn't get the kill, but the assist, as you mentioned. So, the answer supplied was entirely correct. You just helped add to the response given, not reversed it. ;)

Q: What's the best method for getting my executions?

A: Play standard campaign, (single or co-op) NOT ARCADE. You can do All executions (Yes, that includes the CLEAVER!) except the arm rip. Get this one while playing as a locust...look it up, there's plenty of threads on this, especially the one devoted to executions.

I had kind of an extension to this question, what is the best way to get the various weapon kills needed to unlock the ability to do the different executions online? Horde?

EDIT: After some brief investigation it looks like you can add kills to unlock these executions by playing private horde matches, even solo. I'm fairly certain that the different Versus matches work as well.

I was playing Arcade campaign last night and that does NOT work. However I am not 100% certain about standard campaign, I believe that may work.

Edited by Natifan
Answer my own question

I had kind of an extension to this question, what is the best way to get the various weapon kills needed to unlock the ability to do the different executions online? Horde?

Personal opinions may vary, but for me:

1-Set-up a private team deathmatch with spawns @ 35(max)

2- Important- FILL room with bots (otherwise they won't count)

3- Set bots on difficulty setting you like (casual goes really fast)

4- Kill as many as you can each match with the weapons you need to unlock.

Hope that helps! :)

Here's some more Q & A:

Q: How does the season pass work?

A:

There are going to be four DLC's released - the first three cost 800MP, the fourth costing 1200MS totalling 3600. The season pass gives you these four DLC packs for the reduced price of 2400 (or 33%). Once you pay for the season pass, you get the four DLC for free. Basically Epic are getting the money up front for the next four DLCs, which will be out once a quarter.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/815874-Gears-of-war-season-pass-(info-from-Rod-Cliff-and-FAQ-added)?highlight=season+pass

A lot of info about the Season Pass in that thread.

Q: I have questions about the DLC...

A: Great! First, try looking in the new sub-forum created specifically for the DLC. If your answer can't be found there, do a search in the Gears of War 3 forum. Still no luck? Then by all means, ask either here in the FAQ or in the sub-forum for the answers you seek! Thanks!

This is entirely untrue. Epic could make it where others can still nab the kill, but for them it would give an assist while the original person who downed the opponent would still get credit as if it was them who killed the guy.

COD black ops does this with those in last stand, superb idea imo.

this would be perfect and was well accepted on cod:bo