Gears of War Season Pass* (DLC)

Hot Juicy Pie

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/epic-games/gears-of-war-3/gears0829-610b.jpg

Basically the season pass is a DLC package for all major gears fans. It is a pre-purchase available day 1, which will give you the next 4 DLC packages once they are released (The first being in Nov) for 2400 MSP, a 33% saving.

Additionally, purchase of the season pass will unlock the liquid metal skins.

http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110829/liquidmetallancer_19186.nphd.jpg

Source:

http://twitter.com/#!/GearsViking/status/108176416331403264

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69929/gears-of-war-3-season-pass-dated-priced

Edited by Hot Juicy Pie

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this, sounds awesome - savings on DLC is always welcome, and knowing you've paid for the gears DLC in advance sounds pretty sweet to me. Seing as EPIC do kick ass DLC - Im sold!! - Also another couple of sources:

Picture of a new character and the liquid skin set!!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/08/29/microsoft-unveils-gears-of-war-3-season-pass.aspx

Not sure if the pic is of a guy called Gill or something from the comics ??

+

SEPTEMBER 20THHH HURRY THE F UP!! :)

Edited by Shinobi273

Pretty safe to assume there will be achievements tied to the DLC, so this will be a great purchase in the long run. Kind of iffy about the advance notice though. I mean, they already have plan for 4 DLCs and prices set to them? Yeah that's not sitting well with me atm, I'm fine with DLC in general because it's mostly post-development (especially in multiplayer games) but this is a little elaborate for my liking.

Also the Liquid Metal skin is sort of what I envisioned the Chrome skin to look like before the Beta started, only shinier.

Alot of people online are QQing saying it seems pricy. When in reality, you're essentially buying 3 map packs and getting one free. I'm fine with that.

Especially given that Epic has gone over the 800msp standard for dlc before. Wasn't 'All Fronts' 1200-1600msp depending on which version you chose?

All Fronts was a collection though, not a standalone DLC, so of course it was 1600 MSP when it came out. It contained $35 worth of content ($40 if you bought Gears 2 used).

EDIT: Ah I think you might have meant the Dark Corners DLC, which was 1200 MSP.

EDIT 2: Which it seems you're onto something with this. If $30 is at 33% off, the price of all 4 individually will be $45. Makes sense that 3 will be $10 and 1 will be $15.

Edited by Veedrock

So I see they're doing a similar pricing strategy to Gears 2 in terms of map packs (3 map packs are 800MSP, 1 is 1200MSP), so a campaign DLC similar to Dark Corners could well be on the cards.

[Complicated Math stuff: 2400MSP is a 33% saving, so overall, the first 4 DLC's will add up to 3600MSP, which can be broken down into 3x800MSP and 1200MSP.]

Anyway, I'll buy this pass. Not sure if these passes are any good as of yet, but I felt the LA Noire pass was worth the money, and this deal improves my opinion on them. Especially when it comes with exclusive stuff :)

EDIT: And Epic confirmed that campaign DLC is coming anyway. That's good then.

If you're a big enough fan of the series, this really is more positives than negatives. At least in my eyes.

Agreed. The only way it's a "waste of money" is if you're going to wait for another "All Fronts" pack. Or wait longer and wait for another "All Fronts for $5" sale. Those people have no need for the Season Pass.

I'm in, day one.

It was worth it for L.A. Noire, I damn well bet it'll be worth it here. But yeah, $30 is a tough swallow immediately after paying the $400 for the game/console.

I feel you man...Im getting the console too, but look at it this way, its only 10% more then the console...might be easier for you to swallow then. think of it like a warranty...lol

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Within a year we've gone from companies selling mediocre addons and obvious cut content for a few more dollars to a situation where there's already content planned announced and most likely developed for almost the price of the full game. $45 of content and the game is still a month away from release. I understand they want to make money but can they do it a little less obvious or make the prices a bit more reasonable? No combined DLC is worth that $45 if you consider what's in the full game that you can find online for $50. If the past is any indication, it will give us 3x3 new maps and 3 short campaign missions. That's almost like a mini-sized game for the price of a fullsized one.

And we've already reached the point of no return as well, with people cheering about getting a $15 discount, having all but forgotten the fact that the $30 they still have to pay, is $30 more for content they used to get for free.

The moneymaking scheme is becoming too obvious and too visible. Compare it to a mosquito. You don't really mind if it stings you a bit, and the sting only hurts if you inspect it after the deed, but once it alerts you to its presence, it becomes the most annoying fucking thing you've ever encountered.

This can't keep going on people. We can't cheer at the fact we're paying $90 instead of $105 for this. ITS - TOO - MUCH. We vote with our wallets I say. Stand together and stop tolerating this nonsense! It's the only way they'll stop and learn their lesson: No more!

That said. Day 1 purchase because I'm addicted to 100% completion and oh yes shiny weapons.

Edited by Theratis

I understand they want to make money but can they do it a little less obvious or make the prices a bit more reasonable? No combined DLC is worth that $45 if you consider what's in the full game that you can find online for $50.

Well first off the I don't want to sound mean but I don't agree with you at all. Lets take a look at the game, it gets shipped with campaign, multiplayer, Beast mode, and horde mode. now lets say people will buy the game mostly for the multiplayer, not that I don't love the other modes but I can only play against bots for so long before I get bored. So the game is shipping with 10 maps for $60, now lets take a look at Gears 2 which was the same thing it shipped with 10 maps for $60. Now lets take a look at all the DLC for gears 2, not including the Flashback Maps that came free with the game if bought new there was 3 maps packs that had 14 maps between them for a total of 2800 MS points, with the flashback maps it came to 19 maps for 3200 points.

So the way I figure it the DLC is giving me more maps for less than $60. Now they just announced that there would be at least 4 DLC's and also on Rod Fergusson's Twitter he hinted that there will also be free maps to be released for the game. All in all I think it is a great deal for a great price, like I said as long as we get more maps than the game shipped with for less than $60 I think most people will be pleased. Epic has always had a good amount of DLC for a good price and I have no doubt they will do it again for Gears 3

I like the idea of season passes for games I know I'm going to play. I got the L.A. Noire and Mortal Kombat season passes and by the time the first DLC comes out for gears 3 I should have MS points for this.

I know the pros and cons and w/e BS way people want to spin this, but you got to realize is that your investing in a game that will last at least 3 years (How long Gears 2 lasted) and if you think the $60 you initially spent on it is gonna make you happy, don't buy the DLC. Its not like they force it upon you, its optional and for people that want more.