1. 1. Why don't you play indie games?

• I play Xbox Live Indie Games
    • I have never heard of Xbox Live Indie Games
    • XBLIGs aren't very active online
    • No achievements
    • No originality/bad games
    • XBLA titles are better downloadable games
    • I don't download games on the xbox

Note: I would ask this in the indie game forum where it is more relevant, but I am 100% sure that people who don't play a certain type of game will not visit that forum.

So basically I just want to know why people don't play indie games. I have asked people before and I have heard a lot of things, from lack of an active online multiplayer community to lack of originality to lack of achievements. Also Microsoft doesn't really advertise them that much. I just want to hear people's logical explanations for not playing indie games.

This week is the best week to start playing with the Indie Game Summer Uprising. Granted the first 2 titles were kind of lackluster, the third title is great and the remaining all look very good.

I have tons of suggestions for games of every genre, so just ask if you really want to know some good indie games. I will be the first to tell you that most of the indie games suck, and it is hard to find the great games in a sea of wannabes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one I have liked is the I made a game with zombies in it one. Other than that, most of them are garbage so I usually dont play them.

Thats the most common answer I have heard. A lot of people go to the Recent Games section and download a few cool looking games, but they all suck. Besides a few great titles, the Recent Games sections blows in terms of good content all the time.

I just picked up my first indie game calles "Aban Hawking and the 1000 Spikes" Pretty decent game. Very challenging. Wish the indie games would show up on your gameslist and had achievements as well though.

Yeah I have heard that game was decent. There are a few other platformers like that on the marketplace.

The Impossible game and The impossible game level pack might be a bit different, but sure as heck are challenging.

Platformance: Castle Pain and Platformance: Temple Death are both torture platformers, so they are meant to be challengeing.

Will add some more later once I get home.

I feel most of the indie games are better suited to PC play.

It just doesn't feel right going from a full-fledged video game to an indie game while using the same controller.

Not quite sure what you mean. XBLA titles like LIMBO, Braid, and Super Meat Boy are idependent games built by independent companies, just like XBLIGs

There's no achievements and most of them look short or bad.

Well you are correct, most of them are short, and a slightly smaller number of them are bad. But there are some very good ones.

Yeah I have heard that game was decent. There are a few other platformers like that on the marketplace.

The Impossible game and The impossible game level pack might be a bit different, but sure as heck are challenging.

Platformance: Castle Pain and Platformance: Temple Death are both torture platformers, so they are meant to be challengeing.

Will add some more later once I get home.

Not quite sure what you mean. XBLA titles like LIMBO, Braid, and Super Meat Boy are idependent games built by independent companies, just like XBLIGs

Well you are correct, most of them are short, and a slightly smaller number of them are bad. But there are some very good ones.

I'm referencing the low-quality, simple-graphic games.

The ones that are similar to games you'd find on Newgrounds.com or yoyogames.com

I play some, its true somtimes you come across Gems but they are scattered around a bunch of garbage games. I downloaded that demo the other day, Maid with Balloons or something like that. And the guy best aspect was the 3 "chicks" film by a camcorder put into the game... Ill explain. The game use sprites (like the old Mortal Kombat game for exemple) of real life chicks in maid costume, and you had to shoot balloon to the bird a la space invader. But the shooting was so slow it was totally random, the game was boring as hell and in it, there was a few real people scenes added like the first resident evil game on playstation...

The 3 chicks where not that hot, but they where cute, but when the best point of your game is chicks cinematic... there is a problem.

So thats one strike, a bunch of garbage games looking promising only to be like "OOOOOOKKKK :eek:) When you play them.

Then there is games with potential, like Nuclear Wasteland 2000 that i buyed, a type of game where you play against horde of zombies. Thing is its fun at first, reason why i buyed the game, but then it become SOOO boring as its the same thing ALL THE TIME, there is only ONE level, and the wawe keep on coming and coming... I got bored before actually loosing to the game... So this is strike 2

Then there is the good games, but that cost like 240 pts or sometimes up to 400 PTS !!!!... for no achievements game, they have to be real good and its less "intriging" to buy them cause you say to yourself ill waste more than 1 buck if it suck...

But i can still list a couple indy games i liked...

Decay : So far played only the first one, but its nice, the atmosphere and story seem pretty good, ill probably take the other 3 eventually

Akame the Kunoichi : Not bad, a little platformer for 1$... a bit repetitive, but well very decent for the price...

Incident of Dreamy Vale Church : Old beat em all a la double dragon, very decent, but too short, the game is kinda hard, but once you manage to get the feel, you beat it by finishing the 3 or 4 levels i think, well its too short. I wish it was longer... cause its very good.

I buyed a couple games i haven't had time to played yet, like avatar legends, wich seem pretty good, im waiting to buy avatar clothes for my character, i don't want to play this wearing a COG suit or something like that. More a medieval outfit...

But the biggest point that make indy game go down.... at least for me, is that with today's market you have tremendous games for like 20 or 10$ when they go down with time, and those are xbox 360 games... Even arcade games i used to buy a lot cause i wanted to replay nostalgia classic of when i was a kid, like contra and such. With today's arcade title being mostly NEW games, i haven't buyed much recently... Actually i have very few titles that are now classics redone on live arcade... I will get bloodrayne betrayal, but its because im a huge fan of the first 2 games. But for exemple Shadow Complex, everybody say its very good and all, i never buyed that... but i would so like a Contra 3 remake of the SNES.

Anyway i feel they should definately have achievements, at least 50 pts like somebody says, but problem is, microsoft would had to work on them cause everybody could release crap with easy achievements and make money out of it cause of achievements hunters like us.

Anyway

I love fortresscraft. Very fun for the creative type, and easier to get into then other block building indie games. I bought only one other, which was Decay 1 and was a mistake, because most of the games are low production value.

But lately I HAVE noticed a lot of them stepping up their game, better graphics, and less top down view zombie shooters is a good sign.

I wish someone would be cool enough to come out with a Poke'mon clone, with fightable, evolvable, catachable monsters, and if it used avatars would be epic.

I've bought one and played a couple, but a lot of them are truly just garbage.

What puts me off buying more of them though, is the price. If they were, I dunno 100-200 points each for the good ones (with crap ones under 100) then I would probably buy more, but most of the half decent ones are the same price as regular arcade games.

I dont play them because there are no achievements and they always cost a wierd amount of points I dont like buying dlc's that are like 240 MSP and stuff like that I like it to be either 200,400,800,1200 stuff like that not no 80,160,240,320,560,it just messes up my MSP

I play a couple indie games, but would play a lot more if they had achievements! I understand that they cant have 200 like an Arcade game, but if they had maybe 50 achievement points per game I would play them all day!

This is really a response to everyone who said no achievements. I do think 10 pts to every indie game would be nice, but then you get into the issue of control. It is as simple as copying and pasting code, and adding a few touches in there, to put a game out on the indie marketplace. Games like "Easy Gamerscore" and "Free Points" would surface within hours of said announcement. Look at the indie developer silver dollar games (LINK). They put out crappy games as often as they can, with a few spurts of half decent games. One of their games is literally called "Virtual money plant". This kind of thing would run rampant on the indie game marketplace, further burying the good games in a sea of crappy free point games. Then everyone would scream for re-balance of the achievement system.

I used to think Indie Games didn't have achievements because they were the games that were bad and didn't deserve them. I was wrong. I find great games on the Indie Marketplace all the time, but usually in places I don't expect. Even the top rated section on the Indie Marketplace is flooded with crap people bought, played for 5 minutes, and 5 starred. If you want a game to sell on the Indie Marketplace, the title has to have some type of sexuality in it, or you have to wait for word of mouth to spread your game.

I'm not saying achievements to Indie Games could not be done right, but there is no way to implement it witout some type of inbalance. Now I like an idea that Waggly Bean suggested, tell me your thoughts.

;4287537']Yep' date=' but this is why they should all just have say 6 achievements that are all worth 0G. Even 0G achievements are still fun to get, but they won't "boost" gamerscore. I know some would complain at 0G achievements, but I think it'd be an ideal way forward for Indie Games, and I personally don't see an issue with zero pointers if the game is [i']just fun[/i]. I really enjoyed playing through the entirety of Quake II and getting all 9 of the achievements in it, even though they were all zero pointers.

Also, if they did have achievements, they would obviously be put onto your gamercard - so that would be better exposure for the devs because it is essentially free advertising.

I think the problem is a lot of the good developers are moving away from Indie Games now because Microsoft are not giving them the support and backing that they could do (and probably should do!)

It's a real shame, because when you sift through all the crap on the service, there's some real gems in there! :rolleyes:

I'm referencing the low-quality, simple-graphic games.

The ones that are similar to games you'd find on Newgrounds.com or yoyogames.com

Oh I gotcha. You are referring to 90% of Xbox Live Indie Games, stuff people released to try to cash in. Well when you give out a dev kit like Microsoft basically has, you aren't gonna get all great games. I would say 20-30% of indie games are worth the time and money because of the originality, online multiplayer, and fun

I love trying out indie games and looking for all the really good titles that are basically a steal at on 80 ms points like miner dig deep, or breath of death xii. And then some of the more expensive ones are worth it like Total Miner: Forge or Ezmuze+ hamst3r edition (music creation tool)

Agreed, I love finding that new great indie game.

I love fortresscraft. Very fun for the creative type, and easier to get into then other block building indie games. I bought only one other, which was Decay 1 and was a mistake, because most of the games are low production value.

But lately I HAVE noticed a lot of them stepping up their game, better graphics, and less top down view zombie shooters is a good sign.

I wish someone would be cool enough to come out with a Poke'mon clone, with fightable, evolvable, catachable monsters, and if it used avatars would be epic.

That is a cool idea. A lot of people have played Fortress Craft, and I hope that got them to play other indie games as well. A lot of developers have stepped up their game, which is promising.

havent played any good ones, so i really dont give them a chance. Would LIMBO be Indie or Arcade? That game was great.

LIMBO was an XBLA title from an independent developer, a little different from an indie game because a) it had funding by Microsoft b) it had advertising by Microsoft

I've bought one and played a couple, but a lot of them are truly just garbage.

What puts me off buying more of them though, is the price. If they were, I dunno 100-200 points each for the good ones (with crap ones under 100) then I would probably buy more, but most of the half decent ones are the same price as regular arcade games.

I disagree with you a little bit. some of the best ones are 400 points, but a lot of great games are a dollar. Cursed loot, BloodyCheckers, Cute Things Dying Violently, etc. Check out THIS article I have been updating throughout today with a lot of indie game suggestions, I will add the prices next to them ASAP.

Limbo is arcade i belive not sure tho id probs give that ago not sure tho xD and i dont play indie because:

1 again no achieves

2 when u have got all of the other games out there why would u spend msp on indie games or even bother?

Well that is a common opinion, that indie games are worse than XBLA games. I don't buy that, it is about the devotion to the game that makes it good, not the status of it.

I dont play them because there are no achievements and they always cost a wierd amount of points I dont like buying dlc's that are like 240 MSP and stuff like that I like it to be either 200,400,800,1200 stuff like that not no 80,160,240,320,560,it just messes up my MSP

I used to care about that too, then I realized that I should think it terms of real money. 80 msp = 1 dollar, so when indie games sell for 80, 240, and 400 points they are selling for 1, 3 and 5 dollars. This makes them more marketable as well. They used to be 200, 400, and 800 points, but no one ever bought them.