Online Strategy thread

Ok I saw a thread like this on another forum and want to see other people's strategies. If you post one I like I will knock it up here to the first post and credit you. Please specify if you need a specific artifact.

General Tips:

Tips for 1 vs. 1:

--Wait til after you play the campaign so you can pick your favorite faction, unit setup, artifact, etc.

--When picking a setup, try to find a good balance of core units, there are setups that fun with all 3 of the same

--If you have a setup that only works with an artifact host a game with artifacts on, that way you can be sure you get artifacts or not. I don't like artifacts personally.

--Try to get as many combos as you can. The more attack formations you have, the better chance of linking and doing a ton of damage. Seems obvious, but I sometimes find myself waiting for the perfect move, which can be wasteful

--Use your magic power effectively, not just quickly. For example, I usually play as Anwen. When I get her power filled up I usually wait until there is a clear row or 2 and the fire. I would never really suggest wasting an offensive power on enemy units unless they are about to finish you off.

--Walls are very important in multiplayer as well, especially if you do it right. I usually have a fully upgraded wall along 7 to 8 columns of the board by the end of the 2nd turn. This will keep the enemy at bay for a few turns while you can focus on setiting up a Champion attack, or a handful of linked attaks.

--If you can help it, try to attack different areas of the board at the same time. Like 2 rows to the far right and a few rows on the left half. This will sometimes forcve your opponent into hurridly building up a defense that will probably not last long as oppossed to attack formations

--If you are going to lose do not quit!! you still get exp for losing, none for quiting, and it counts the same on your record, and it kills your streak. Now if you have to leave to go do something that is a different story

--If you keep losing to the same type of setup, sit back and do some thinking. What is so strong about that setup? What is its weakness? How can I maximize both of those in my favor? Artifacts or no artifacts?

Setups:

Hero: Findan

Core: All pixies

Elite: Druids or Deer (your choice)

Champion: Treant

Artifact (unnecessary): Vine Gloves, Leaf Plate, Ring of Life, basically defense things. Doubling cape has some cool possibilities for deer, but not to often.

Explanation: It is important to remember that the reason that I like all pixies in this setup is because they feed off your Magic Bar, which is great. Pixies charge in 2 turns, and at a half full bar do 10 damage. Which is raised even higher if you link them with the elite unit you choose because they are great damage dealers/champion stallers. Treants are just awesome and bug your opponent for well after the unit actually attacks them if it doesn't kill them. Also they will usually focus on killing your treant and forget that you have beastly pixies linking up. You should also keep your MP bar full the whole game unless you have a great opening where you have 2 treants setup at once or one that will end the game. Links, fusing, and combos are your friend. Not only do you build up your MP, but your attacks get stronger for links and fuses. You should always uses links instead of fuses if you can, but a fusion with pixies and a high magic bar is at elite unit status.

Issues:

--Low damage to enemy champions, but you can block them with treants, or stall with Druids

Hero: Varkas

Core: All spearman

Elite: Priestess/Knight

Champion: Feel free to sub in the Angel for the Priestess

Artifact (needed): Golden Spear

Explanation: This is a great setup because of Golden Spear in combo with Varkas's power, which adds 50% to attack power of all charging formations. Golden Spear extends the spearmen's attack power to walls as well. If you can effectively use fusion and linking to your advantage, you can have a single spearman unit do 20 direct damage easily. The only thing stopping this setup is enemy champion units, but you can dodge those well enough. Priestesses heal you while Knights protect their column from too much damage, both very useful. Knights do a good amount of damage as well. Link a fused Spearmen column with a knight and see how that goes for your opponent. Use Varkas's power whenever you have 4 or 5 charging formations. His power could easily add 35-40 damage to your total attack power.

Issues:

--Enemy champion units

--low speed formation

More to come!!!

Edited by Dcon6393

Here is what I used in the Online Battles and often won:

Hero: Fiona

Core: 3x Skeleton (you might also use 2x Skeleton + 1x Ebon Guard, but it's higher attack power doesn't realy pay out for the additional charging time)

Elite: Vampire

Champion: Death Knight

Artifact (needed!!!): Spider Cloak

Explanation: The Spider Cloak is the key to this tactic, altrough it's like playing russian roulette. You loose 75% of your Max HP, meaning you only have 25HP max instead of the usual 100HP the whole fight! But here is the deal: All your formations get 75% more PWR, so they hit the enemy hero much harder and they can take more damage! That way your skeleton attack formations can easly take up one and often even two enemy attack formations (of whichever core unit), meaning they often crush a whole enemy column and still doing some minor damage to the hero. On the other hand while defending an enemy attack formation this means the enemy often don't even comes beyond your first attack formation in that column. Second to that a charging Death Knight weakens the enemy attack formations (in reach) even further. Because of this and the fact that he will one hit the enemy hero even after doing much damage in the columns before (often he will deal around 150 damage to the enemy hero in such a situation), you should get him charged as soon as possible! Done that you might already have won that battle, because even if the enemy focuses on taking down the Death Knight he won't ever deal enough damage to kill him.

But there are still chances you might loose, because your low HP are your biggest (and maybe only) weakness! I don't suggest building much walls, because your attack formations even do a great deal in defending, but you should be aware of never letting a column open for an enemy attack! Especially any elite or champion unit, because they are likely to one hit you too! If you get hit by a core unit attack formation it's not too worse, you can heal up again with an attack of a Vampire, that's why you have taken them with you.

If your hero's special ability is ready you should reserve 2 moves for it. First draw in all your dead units, use the special and then draw again. You are likely to deal 30+ points of damage that way. So kill any charging enemy champion or elite unit, reduce the enemies attack formations in one of your open columns or deal the final blow to the enemy hero with it. Do whatever serves your situation best.

WARNING: This tactic doesn't work much against heroes with special abilities that can deal direct damage to your hero. Especialy meaning Anwen with her arrows. Only one needs to be fired in an open column and your are instantly killed! Basically your only chance to win against her is to kill her before her special ability is charged up, but the odds for this are quite low. If you are fighting against such a hero I suggest switching the Spider Cloak for the Crown of Thorns and see if you can pull out a victory "normally". Meaning doing everything like before but without the benefits of doing much more damage and maybe building some more walls. Other heroes you might stand no chance against is basically another Fiona. But Godric, Aidan and Cyrus can also serve you a headache, alltrough you can defend them more easyly because they can't one hit you with just one open column.

Issues:

--Weak against any undefended attack

--Not working against certain heroes

Edited by Eff_GX
fixed typos

Insert your setup here

I really really hate playing against this setup. It is almost the cheapest way to win games on clash of heroes. This is the main reason I play no artifacts haha. Obviously if I choose to go into an artifact game I run the risk of hitting this setup at least once. In response to that setup I try to go with Anwen, Deer Antlers, with deer, 2 pixies, and one archer. Then I try to setup attacks fast, especially in front of death knights so I can kill them before they charge. But this setup is a guaranteed win if you get a death knight for the most part, which is why I hate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know where I can find set-ups for inferno? Just got the game and Im trying to learn that race/faction.

My preferred setup for artifacts involves the artifact celerity ring. It gives you an extra move for every turn. This is good for more attacks. Another good artifact to use is thorn whip, in combo with nightmares and your choice of core units. I will update the thread later with more setups

Hmmm, haven't unlocked the thorn whip yet, just started going around trying to finish all them challenges so hopefully ill unlock it soon. Still feeling around for some nice combinations, right now Im running succubus/pit fiend, and I plan on running nightmare/sorcerer once I pick up the artifact that makes all the horses attack for full power.

Hmmm, haven't unlocked the thorn whip yet, just started going around trying to finish all them challenges so hopefully ill unlock it soon. Still feeling around for some nice combinations, right now Im running succubus/pit fiend, and I plan on running nightmare/sorcerer once I pick up the artifact that makes all the horses attack for full power.

The thing with inferno is that their artifacts are good, but sometimes you have to work to hard to use them, while other factions almost give you a bunch of free hits. I like celerity ring the most because of the extra turn and i can use my strategy over my reliance on an artifact to win. I play strictly no artifacts though.

Well I think outside of the infamous spidercloak most of the other races artifacts are pretty evenly balanced. Im still feeling around trying to find some nice combinations, and maybe, just maybe figure out a way to make that abyssal lord work.

Well I think outside of the infamous spidercloak most of the other races artifacts are pretty evenly balanced. Im still feeling around trying to find some nice combinations, and maybe, just maybe figure out a way to make that abyssal lord work.

yeah, there is a much better balance with no artifacts IMO. I prefer the Sylvan heroes and Inferno heroes over most everything else. My combo with Anwen is crazy good haha. Inferno has great no artifact setups too