SUGGESTION: Shout-box.

Sweet666Kraven

In the fact that this is a family site and things that would be said on a shoutbox wouldnt be neccessarily acceptable. If you post something that is unacceptable then people can easily report, we have your IP and you can be banned. Cant do that on a shoutbox.

If people want to chat like that they can use MSN. Plus shoutboxes normally just clutter up a forum.

In the fact that this is a family site and things that would be said on a shoutbox wouldnt be neccessarily acceptable. If you post something that is unacceptable then people can easily report, we have your IP and you can be banned. Cant do that on a shoutbox.

If people want to chat like that they can use MSN. Plus shoutboxes normally just clutter up a forum.

Yeah that's true. I forgot about the whole 'Report' thing.

Yeah, bad idea. :chair

It's a bit hard to picture that it's a family site, when there's strong language used, and a picture of a monkey who just serviced himself...

We can use a shoutbox. The admin would have to heavily modify it. Must login. IP are recorded and chat logged. Report button. Too much for them. They have other important things to do than do that. But great idea anyway.

Yeah that's true. I forgot about the whole 'Report' thing.

Yeah, bad idea. :chair

It's a bit hard to picture that it's a family site, when there's strong language used, and a picture of a monkey who just serviced himself...

Good point, and don't forget the Hot girls thread. All those girls wearing bikinis, covering themselves in sheets, langeray (spelling error).

Yeah.. I had this idea a while back.. I continued to persevere, but was unsuccessful!

This idea is pretty good, though.

Then I'll say again why I don't like them ;)

If someone answers a question in there, unless you are monitoring that box at the time it's asked you will miss it. Then the same questions have to be answered over and over instead of it being in a post.

Same thing for match making. If you happen to not be on at the same time you will never know that soandso01 is looking for a game of Senko no Ronde Rev X. But if it's in a post, you know soandso1 has the game and wants to do matches. Now I can message him and work something out.

I don't think it adds anything to the site, the posts are basically chat, but there is a record of everything.

Same thing for match making. If you happen to not be on at the same time you will never know that soandso01 is looking for a game of Senko no Ronde Rev X. But if it's in a post, you know soandso1 has the game and wants to do matches. Now I can message him and work something out.

I'd have to disagree with that. If you are going to post in a shout-box about some match-making. Odds are, you are going to want to have a match at the time you post it. Not 5 hours later when someone reads your post in the forum. Say, I wanted a game of DOOM (That forum is basically dead no-one visits it.) I'd post there that I wanted a game and that I may only be on for another hour or two. It probably won't be read until a couple of days later, then I miss out on my matches. However, if there were a shoutbox, generally members tend to monitor shout-boxes quite regularly. I'd probably get a quick response and therefore have my match when I want it. It's the same thing if I rented a game, I might only have that game for a day or two and want to play immediately.

I'd have to disagree with that. If you are going to post in a shout-box about some match-making. Odds are, you are going to want to have a match at the time you post it. Not 5 hours later when someone reads your post in the forum. Say, I wanted a game of DOOM (That forum is basically dead no-one visits it.) I'd post there that I wanted a game and that I may only be on for another hour or two. It probably won't be read until a couple of days later, then I miss out on my matches. However, if there were a shoutbox, generally members tend to monitor shout-boxes quite regularly. I'd probably get a quick response and therefore have my match when I want it. It's the same thing if I rented a game, I might only have that game for a day or two and want to play immediately.

Hey just so everyone knows, it's only my opinion and it's worth the same as yours. I'm only a mod and I don't make any decisions on this stuff ;)

As for your Doom example I disagree. You are chatting to 10 people, whom it would take the grace of god for you to actually have someone who wants to play that game looking at the box at the same time. Whereas in a post, sure it might take 2 days for someone to see it, but when it is seen it will be seen by the right audience, the person you want to boost with. Then it's simple message you to see if you still need it.

So chat box with 10 sets of eyeballs who most likely don't care about your Doom request or days later you get 1 pair of eyeballs who does. I'm sure some people have this page open when they are playing, but I don't. I browse this site when I'm at my computer, when I'm on my 360 and might want to play Doom the proposed shoutbox would be no where around. But if I know I'm going to play Doom tonight and need a boost partner I will come to the site, look at the Doom forum and see if I can find a partner.

Granted, I never have to do that because I have a friends list full of people who are willing to boost and I have Psyanyde to boost nearly every game with so my scenario could be different. As I said, my opinion.

Well there are two main problems...

1. It would need constant moderation, 24/7 which is impossible and...

2. It would take away from the forums, I mean, someone asks a question in this "shoutbox" and gets a wonderfully detailed answer, wouldn't that for the sites sake be better to have in permanent format so others can read, if and when they please ;)

Hey just so everyone knows, it's only my opinion and it's worth the same as yours. I'm only a mod and I don't make any decisions on this stuff ;)

Yeah, that's fair enough man and I respect your opinion even though it's different to mine.

I doubt this idea is going to be accepted but meh, it was a worth a try.