Multiplayer News/Updates (2)

(Last Updated October 9: Edited Useful Contacts.)

MC B0B x360a asked that I take over, and because I couldn’t do it in the original thread, I started afresh. All information that was in there, is now in here.

Not all of this is my work. Credit must go to MC B0B x360a for what he did:

• First and foremost, for starting the original thread.
  • Links to important information.
  • First Strike DLC Achievements
  • All updates from February 2nd downwards.
  • And all LIVE updates from 1/27/11 downwards

Thanks for starting it all, and I'll do my best to continue it.

Sections

- Links to Important Information

- Useful Contacts

- Most recent updates/news - 

- Older updates/news

- Whats already been fixed/updated? 

Links to important information

Vahn addresses changes coming to Second Chance and the AK74U

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=395159&sid=21h4kfd3o0kpq7og9seks2qfk7

Josh Olin's post on the recent security breach

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=355402&sid=d8af1a3rejbu7882g4b4850pr4

Josh Olin discusses the patching process

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=346952&sid=d8af1a3rejbu7882g4b4850pr4

Black Ops Security And Enforcement Policy

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=341470

Vahn discusses quickscoping topic

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=338961&hilit=quickscope&sid=rmlf6l28jgir43uir5u3bfv8k7

Useful Contacts

If you've been WRONGLY banned or reset, tweet @MaTtks, and ask him politely if he could take a look into it.

Updates for August:

• Title Update 12 is live. Check post 8 for more details.
  • New Playlists are being discussed. Includes Express playlist with no Ghost or Second Chance. Also DLC MoshPit and HC DLC Moshpit. More info in post 11, or go HERE and put your views across

Updates for July:

• Title Update 11 is now live. Check post 8 for more info.
  • The Call of Duty: Elite Beta starts July 14th, and will roll out in waves.

What we’ll do with the beta is roll it out in waves. So, you know, folks who have callofduty.com accounts or other ways we find people, we’ll try to get you guys first. Then as we feel like it’s a good experience for everyone, we’ll make it wider and wider and hopefully everybody can get in by the end of the beta.

For more info, go HERE or HERE. Alternatively, you can listen HERE

Updates for June:

First off, sorry for the late update.

• Bomb sounds are getting tweaked in the next update. (No date yet)
    We wanted to update you on some design changes coming to every bomb based game mode including Search & Destroy, Demolition, and Sabotage. When you plant or defuse a bomb two (main) different sounds are used. The first is the "I am getting out the suitcase and opening the bomb" sound. The second is the "I am actually defusing or planting by punching numbers into the keypad." Additionally, depending on which bomb based game mode, VO from your commanding officer may play. In a future update (that is yet unscheduled for release) when you plant or defuse a bomb you'll continue to make the noise of bringing out the bomb, as well as the actual activating/defusing sound ("beep - beep - beep") to yourself. Other players will only hear you bring out the bomb and not the actual activating/defusing ("beep - beep - beep") sound and can only so if they are in close proximity to you. Additionally, the bringing out the briefcase sound is played in worldspace --this means it's subject to the same audio occlusion any other sound has. It will be harder to hear you if there are walls between you and the bomb planter or defuser. This should make "ninja" and "fakie" plants and defuses possible again.
  • Title Update 10 is now live. Check post 8 for more details.

• DLC 3 (Annihilation) has been announced, and will release June 28th.
    Time Travel Will Tell 75:gsicon:
    In Shangri-La, acquire the focusing stone.

Blinded By the Fright 30:gsicon:
    In Shangri-La, kill a Shrieker zombie while blinded by it.

Zomb Disposal 30:gsicon:
    In Shangri-La, dispose of a Napalm zombie without it harming any players.

Monkey See, Monkey Don't 5:gsicon:
    In Shangri-La, get something from the monkeys.

Small Consolation 10:gsicon:
    In Shangri-La, use the 31-79 JGb215 on each type of zombie.

Updates for May:

Title Update 9 is now live. (5/31/11)

Check the updates in post 8 for more info.

Call of Duty Elite Beta:

If you want a chance to take part in the beta, that starts this summer, go to http://www.callofduty.com/elite to register.

Updates for April:

Title Update 8 is now live. (4/28/11)

Check the updates in post 8 for more info.

DLC 2 (Escalation), scheduled for release on May 3rd. Read more HERE

(This will be accompanied by a Double XP weekend, starting May 6th)

For any competitive players on here, there could be an MLG/Competitive Playlist coming.

What is this? Phase 1 of a possible @Hastr0 patch? #thankmelater @mlg http://twitpic.com/4hbcjd

Dr. Strangelove presents TL;DR - Vahn's 11 page 3,805 word essay and discussion thread about a @MLG playlist http://bit.ly/fygAQ1

Updates for March:

3/17/11 (hotfix)

(Details can be found in post 8)

Have you guys looked into "nerfing" some of the killstreaks? i got killed by napalm and i was in a building D:

@Slim_ninja We recently found a problem where killstreaks can penetrate buildings too easily. Fix is being tested right now.

I'm going on a hunger strike until mercenary TDM is put back in as a playlist!

@HashyAKAdave You are going to be hungry for as short as 3 weeks and as long as 6-8.

What about removing the Prestige Playlist? Barely anyone goes onto that playlist. Also, you could seperate Merc TDM & Mosh

@vims213 This is more or less exactly the plan.

Want to know why you cant name a class 'Assault'? Check Here

• Title Update 7 is live (as of Feb 28)
  • Mercenary Moshpit replaces Mercenary Team Deathmatch, and contains Team Deathmatch, Domination, Search and Destroy, etc.
  • Double EXP weekend from March 4th to March 7th.
    (This will feature a Nuketown 24/7 playlist.)

First Strike Zombie Achievements

- http://www.callofduty.com/intel/439?path=intel/439

The Eagle has Landers (35G) – In Ascension, escape on all three lunar landers. 

They are going THROUGH! (35G) – In Ascension, kill at least 5 zombies with 1 Gersch device.

Space Race (45G) – In Ascension, Pack-a-Punch a weapon before round 8.

Chimp on the Barbie (35G) – In Ascension, kill a space monkey with a fire trap

Updates for February 2 -... - DLC specific playlists are up and more are being considered for the double xp weekend

"Is it possible to add more prestiges, or at least raise the point cap to prestige?"

@pjarbona Technically possible to up the Prestige cap, but not the rewards for doing so. 

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates for January

"Why not DLC matchmaking playlists yet?"

Today's FAQ: Why no First Strike playlist(s)? A: In progress! Working with @xboxand friends so we don't crush the Matchmaking servers. 

"Is double XP only for DLC buyers?"

@xStrizehNope. For everyone.

"Is it possible to give Combat Training the same custom edit settings as private match?"

@zzirGrizzNo. The bots are not smart enough to deal with all the edge cases that come up with esoteric settings. 

"For those who bought the DLC, will they have a higher percent of popping up in the map rotation?"

@AtrophiusDLC maps are weighted higher, but only impacts DLC owners.

"How many mappacks can we expect to see for Black Ops?"

@Txting_CrusaderNot been announced. Not even sure we are sure. 

"Why did you guys put in flak jacket perk, but not put in the firework/danger close perk?"

@klutchkidDanger Close/Fireworks, IMO, gives the game too much emphasis on explosive damage and not bullet damage. 

"In order to nerf the AK74U, why not just slow down the rapid fire attachment?"

@JohnCrayolaDoesn't work the way you imply. Not explicit. Multiplier on the gun's base rate. A constant across all Rapid Fire attachments. 

"I live in a different country now, will I be able to download foreign DLC onto my native region console?"

@m0j0_0j0mYou do not want to mix packs. Say, English DLC with German Retail Disk. The DLC won't work if you do that. 

"Will we ever see the option to create a custom soldier in COD games?"

@JulioTheStarBelieve the long term vision to be a lot like what you are suggesting.

"Are you guys done with the snipers, or can we expect more changes in the future?"

@iKonnyiI don't know. We have no current plans, but I always said I would slowly un-nerf them. 

"Is there any possibility of using custom setting in a private Wage Match lobby?"

@Birdiex94xLong shot. Especially the custom settings part. Not that hard to do overall but a bit much for a post ship game. 

"Why can't we put symbols in our clan tags?"

@TyranizordShort version. Clan tags on gun feature. Limited base characters because it's a custom font. 

"Any chance of letting us use under-barrel attachments with warlord?"

@lLeo234 Doubtful, just being honest. 

"Ever since the update I have had matchmaking problems again."

@lightzout69We did make changes to 360 matchmaking but the reports are the parties trying to play are struggling. Researching. 

And...

@KatanizerChecking into this. Hopefully clean this up tomorrow ASAP. 

but,it looks like they are working on it

@HeviOlloThis should be better now. We working with Microsoft to try and figure out what happened. Sorry about that. 

"Will Ghost Pro keep the turrets from shooting you on the new Berlin map?"

@dkeane867If you have Ghost Pro the turrets target you first. Ok, that's not really true but it was fun to write. A: No. 

"Why did some of the maps and gametypes disappear on Team Tactical when the game was last updated?"

@mdnlThose will return in about 7 days. (this was posted on Jan 28th)

"Was the M16 nerfed at all in the last update?"

@Rynsc100 M16 was not touched. 

"There is a glitch with the emblem creator. My emblem disappears after I create it."

@kallensauceThis will be fixed soon. For now, don't edit while in game lobby. 

"Did you ever test out a bullet proof vest perk?"

@robbokrisWe prototyped a "bullet proof vest" but ultimately it was either Juggernaut or too subtle to really matter. 

"So what did you do to nerf the AK74U"

@TheIMightyHutchI LOLz at the the commentary raging on extremes. What I did was touch a lot of things about it a "a little bit." 

"Why aren't you telling anybody about the changes to the AK74U?"

@TheIMightyHutchWant to hear people's perspective 1st. "Feel" is subjective, personal, and more important than what I did/did not do.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

"The Valkyrie rockets are so hard to handle. Any updates coming soon for that?"

@iKonnyi No plans at this particular time. 

"Have the sniper rifles been tweaked, because i now get hitmarkers on every shot?"

@NinjaKnifes Adjustments were made to sniper rifles, yes. 

and...

@TheIMightyHutch Expectations should be kept in check. Some bugs fixed and some PSG love. 

"Is the flamethrower going to be fixed? When it goes on it stays on?"

@imohsogangsta It's still on the list but we de-prioritized for this update since it's cosmetic only. 

"Will the 'First Strike' maps be available in Combat Training, Wager Matches, and Private Matches?"

Good question (via @blukingz) about First Strike. All 4 new MP maps are supported in Combat Training, Wager Match, and Private Match. 

"should the lady reading ascension no's at loadup appear everytime or only randomly?"

@snowtrouper She will only appear once unless you delete your save profile or are on a new user (etc., all). 

**Attention** Black Ops servers are not being shut down. Below are tweets by Vahn and JD that prove certain comments were taken out of context.

JD_2020

"PS3 Servers" comments were taken out of context. @Treyarch's committed to supporting the PS3 community with some great updates on the way. 

Vahn

@Nathaniel108 Yeah. I am up to speed now. His quote is being taken out of context entirely. 

And...

@Tiduz Yes. It's a complete fabrication. First, it doesn't quote a source. Second, it's being quoted out of context with what was said. 

"Any plans for an upcoming double XP weekend?"

Double XP will run from February 4-6. 

"Is Barebones Team Tacticals playlist going to be updated?"

@Brlan810 I've added a lot of maps back into that play-list, but it won't be updated till we get closer to the DLC release.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

"Why is it impossible to flip a care package with hardline-pro when a teammate is already grabbing it?"Not the answer I was looking for.

@_Invd_ A reasonable note that I get from time to time but it's too complicated to explain remotely well in Twitter. 

"Will it be like MW2 where you can only get into lobbies with the DLC if you have the DLC?"

@ios37 More or less. I can't stop you from following a friend or accepting invites. Etc. 

"Did Treyarch ever think to let us gift unused COD points to friends. I just have to many left over that I will never use?"

@TechnoFlow We considered a "gift" mechanic during development but cut it. 

"Is there going to be a trialer coming out for the 'First Strike' DLC?"

@GarethHeart That's classified, son. You don't have the clearance level. 

"When using decoy it sounds like different gun sounds are being used now. Were any changes made to the gun sounds?"

@R_UnitX8 They try to use the sound of the gun you are using unless that sound isn't appropriate for them. 

"Why not add in a hardcore moshpit ricchochet?"

@cylince I am thinking so. I just don't like adding more playlists. It's split up the matchmaking. I will post about this tomorrow. 

"To nerf the AK74U why not just make the falloff damage the same as the MP5?"

@intheworksmedia The fall off is identical to the MP5 right now. 

"It seems the AK74U ADS's faster than other SMG's. Can the ADS be slowed down to nerf the AK74U?"

@MosportMike Could be done. Will check it vs base AK and other SMGs. You probably run into Pro perk faster ADD a lot, however.

"The Rapid Fire attachment is deadly and is the new stopping power. Can it be removed or nerfed?"

@TheIMightyHutch Removing Rapid Fire attachment not practical in a post-ship world. Reducing the fire rate of the weapon is. 

And...

@tfsimonlolz I can't tweak RF on a per gun basis without changing the base weapons firerate as well.

And... 

@ericroach21 I can't realistically ditch the RF attachment; may not be enough trade-offs for this weapon but fans don't have consensus. 

"The AK74U is overused not overpowered. Why not give other smg's a boost instead of nerfking the AK74U?"

@Firegrip You gotta work with what I am giving you. Changing "all the others" not a feasible ask. Not doing that. 

"Is it a possibility for you to make Combat Training available offline?"

@bennythomarse Combat Training can't be available offline but the Target Dummies are now in "LAN" play. 

"Can you take out climbing and reload sounds when using ninja?"

@lightzout69 It's a video game. It will never be perfect. But I will nonetheless "listen" to that Ninja Pro concern this afternoon. 

"Will we ever be able to put killcams into Theatre Mode?"

@D3z3Ro No.

"Why not?"

@poklaneNL Technical reasons in how data is saved for Theater vs play backed on a client for Killcam. 

"People bitch so much about second chance, why didn't treyarch just keep it like last stand and forget the medic aspect?"

@ZiggySpronk We like the "medic" and teamwork aspects of Second Chance/Pro over Final Stand and Last Stand variants. That's just us. 

"What do you think about a 2V2 playlist?"

@laststandisGAY This is a boosters paradise. Can't do it. 

"Is it by design that people can spin and not make any noise when planting or defusing the bomb?"

@R3DMinotaur No. I think is fixed I'm next update or it's at least on the to do list. 

"Will Flak Jacket be made strong to protect more against the RC-XD?"

@AANino23 Have a local change (not checked in) where FJacket protects you from the car "more" but I don't agree with 100% protection. 

"Is there a way to fix getting a loss when the host dashboards from the game?"

@schuetterize No elegant way to deal with this but a reasonable complaint worthy of one day sorting out. 

"The whole community wants smaller maps, so why not make the mappack maps smaller?"

@Bbarrett42 I can show you a large contingent of people who ask me for larger maps. So no. The "whole cod community" can not agree. 

"Has nerfing the FAMAS crossed the devs mind?" 

@JohnCrayola I was thinking small damage decrease on Famas. Thoughts? 

"What about an anti-stab vest to counter the knife lunge?" Basically Vahn is saying that since all players have the knife it is balanced, and shouldn't need a perk to defend it?

@ThunderS7ruck The difference is we both have knifes and we didn't have to trade anything (perk slot, whatever) to get it. Not sure I agree.

"Why am i getting killed by a person primary gun when they go into second chance?"

@Dunkus There is a bug with this that is on the must fix list. I hate it more than you do. I swear. 

"What determines how many COD points you earn in a match?"

@Zamber64 Percentage of XP earned. That's the simple explanation. 

"Did Flak Jacket get a nerf?"

@DanialPatrick No sir. 

"Will we get other letters of the alphabet to use when making emblems?"

@TheAntonysj No, sorry. 

"Any chance of Ricochet coming to the hardcore game modes?"

@TheSurfNSnow Yes. No immediate plans but always internally debating Ricochet versus the 3 strike rule without increasing playlist count.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

Updates for December

"Will we ever see anything in Black Ops where the weather can change in-game?"

@Snowtrouper Not likely. Not without major engine changes. So much of the look (for example, something looking wet) is in the textures. 

"I've got a 7 killstreak in a match, why isn't the Hardline Pro Challenge unlocking?" You need to use 7 killstreaks in a match and not use a 7 killstreak one time.

@Hardline_Pro Try for 7 earned killstreaks and not a killstreak that takes 7 kills to earn and report back. 

"Have you ever thought about letting us stack killstreaks and then being able to cycle through them?"

@AndrewBennett84 I am very aware of the cycle killstreak request. Probably won't happen this game. 

"Does Lightweight effect my right analog sticks sensitivity?"

@TheIMightyHutch No. 

"Does flashbang blindness last longer in Black Ops than in previous COD games?" Nope.

@XoBRAWLERoX No true and take Tac Mask Pro. 

"Since the title updatre 4, it seems the hit detection is better. Has Treyarch done anything to change the hit detection?" It looks they have have NOT made any changes, but the hit detection can be greatly effected by games low/high ping.

@DVS27t Hit detection hasn't changed. We just need to get you into higher ping games. 

"Why was the grim reaper replaced by the RPG in gun game?" I am assuming this was done because the grim reaper glitch in gun game. The glitch couldn't be corrected in a hotfix, so they replaced it until a title update.

@StefanoD24 We have to fix a major bug with that takes a full TU. Can't be hotfixed. 

"Is it true Treyarch is not making the DLC for Black Ops?"

@djshauny1 No. My level design team has doubled and they work on DLC every day. Friends at Raven also involved. Rest of us on other stuff. 

Title Update 4 is now LIVE!!!

See the "What's already been fixed" section for all information regarding the Title Update 4.

"Why was the double tap YY quick reload taken out of the game?"

@Milkerboy Protection against modded controllers. Still evaluating. 

And..

@zxrax Modded controllers abuse protection. We will evaluate it again. Side effect it had was unexpected, to be honest about it.

And...

@mattchinima Modded controllers exploit it to cancel animations. Will evaluate, but no short term changes plannned so get used to it. 

"Did you change the frequencies on Firing Range and Nuketown, because they are popping up alot?"

@Atrophius Luck of the draw. I swear. Frequency did not change

"Is Treyarch aware the sniper rifles are not a one hit kill, when used with a suppressor and Warlord?"

@The_Ginja_Ninja Yes, I am. 

Title Update 4 Released

“Is there going to be a way to save emblems because it sucks having to remaked them when i want to switch?"

@KenY2Ken We get this request a lot but it's not practical for this game. Maybe next game we can find a way. Have a design in mind already.

"In regards to adding new weapons, why do you say there isnt enough memory to add new weapons, but you can still add DLC/Map Packs?"

@SOLOCOM Because you only load one level at a time but you load all weapons all the time regardless of level. 

"Why are people getting banned for no reason?"

Josh Olin @MastaMike92 Nobody is banned for no reason. It's human nature to claim innocence. We fully investigate and review every report before ban. 

"Why can't you make drop shotting more effective, like in COD4?"

@StuNomNom . By design. Drop-shotting is a controversial game play tactic for reasons too numerous to list. 

"Alot of people are bitching about overpowered weapons, but do you consider the difference between overpowered and overused into your decision?" (I had to add this in since it was my tweet he responded to. 

@davidvonderhaar not flaming. Communityand trey need to learn difference between overpowered and overused. Hardline pro maybe OP, AK74U=OU

@MCB0B_X360A Good tweet. Very fine line. No yet changed AK74U, Famas, or even RC-XD. Those are also controversial in the OP vs OU debate. 

"I boosted only one time and i got reset for it???"

@RossPk It's simple. Don't boost and be happy you only got reset and not banned. 

"How much are you un-nerfing the snipers?"

@Steo_Doyne A little, gradually. VERY gradually. Some people will never notice the difference for a bit. 

"Any more tweaks coming to the spawn system?"

@asgiaquinta Next update has some subtle spawning tweaks to enemy and friendly influence radius as well as the target diamonds when spawned. 

"Is it a bug or intended, when I hear an enemy say "reloading" or "claymore down"?"

@tpd504 By design. Battle chatter. 

"Any plans to make sniper headshots a one shot kill?"

@LudenFalafel Yes. 

"Why does it seem like a red dot/reflex sight gives a gun less recoil?"

Vahn - @OfficialPBO Optical illusion. 

"Is it possible to add new guns and camos into the game?"

Vahn - @Robertacular I think you are asking are we going to add new versions of those things. Possible, not probable. 

"Are exploding barrels killing my own teammates going to be patched, or is this intentional?"

Vahn - @ifsedgey Known issue. On the list; lower priority. 

"Whats the latest on knife lunge nerfing?" - I think it's important to note that Vahn states the killcam, and theatre mode does not give true representations of the knife lunge distance. From his posting it looks like the knife lunge has been nerfed, but this will not be present when watching the killcam or theatre mode. Hopefully this will prevent further bitching when people get knifed and watch the replay.

Vahn -@xCruiser000 Think I am going to reduce range again by about 1/3. Won't ever prevent Theater/Demo client interpretations of long lunges. 

Vahn - @nick12124 I've reduced the lunge some and am going to do it again in a future hotfix. 

Vahn - @forwards1 Orig. lunged range was same as regular (non Commando ver. from MW2). Nerfing slowly. We are never going to totally remove lunge. 

Vahn - @Kev626 (exceprt)...theater and Killcam never 100% since they are client views. 

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

November Updates

"How does the patch process work when updating the game?"

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=346952&sid=1rv55ggnj6avr74bef29b35at0

"Why do you let players on the same screen (split screen) play in a wager match? They just work together and act as a team." Vahn's response indicates that Treyarch only lets split screen players participate in low level wager matches. This will at least prevent some "boosting" in this playlist.

@Angry_Panda Only in the low limit games. 

"Does Treyarch know that some controller configs won't let you cancel a Tactical Insertion?"

Vahn - @r3v0lt We know for sure that several controller configurations won't let you cancel Tac Insert. This is a bug and will get fixed. 

Vahn- @WalshyBoi14 Known issue with Tactical (and other) layouts. We will fix in future update. 

"Why does the China Lake take so long to pump, as opposed to the Thumper in MW2?"

@xDOMINATEx We'll have to agree to disagree. We didn't want to remove launchers, but we can't have them be almighty either. 

"Why can you NOT hear nearby enemy mic chat?"

@DavidVonderhaar why is it that u cant hear nearby enemy mic chat? Game balance? Too confusing? Software limitations? just curious thats all

@TeH_EMaN In order: Yes, yes, no. By design. 

"Voice call-outs are muted in Hardcore. Is this intentional or a bug?"

@denis_fdrv Battlechatter is disabled. Can turn it on or off easily. Currently disabled on purpose. 

"What is up with the headshot hitmarkers in Black Ops?" 

@DavidVonderhaar Still curious why there's a headshot sound without killing the opponent, is it bad hit markers? Thank You and love the game 

@DI4B3TES It's the other way around. The headshot sound is playing on any headshot, not just ones that result in death. 

@DavidVonderhaar Oh, I always thought all headshots resulted in death. What constitutes a death headshot compared to others? Thank You 

"Any word on Combat Training being playable offline?"

Vahn @DarkVoiceMan We all want that (especially my pal @RegentEagle) but we aren't ready to discuss it this at this time. 

"Will we see a sniper only playlist?"

@js94 Has been suggested. Doesn't work that way. Gun tuning is not playlist centric but I'm not a fan of that idea even if it was. 

"Are we ever going to see any multi-team playlists?"

@robbokris No possible. We only load 2 factions per map. Characters are expensive and the engine not quite ready for multi-team yet. 

"Any reason why I am having a hard time cancelling my Tactical Insertion?"

@JJakaRebel We don't have 100% consistent repro case for this. Think we know at least one problem with weapon switching and button mashing. 

"Will there be challenges for the new Hardcore game modes?"

@imON_foodstamps Not something easily done, so probably not.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

"I used hardline pro to switch a sam-turret to Valkerie Rockets and the crate blew up in my face??"

@_Alex_Ryan_ It might of been hacked and booby trapped.

"Why are there texture loads on weapon and characters after every respawn?"

@JayMan Texture streaming. 

"Any chance the time limit on "One in the Chamber" can be changed from 10 minutes to 3 minutes?"

@EhrbarBearbar Not a bad idea. Maybe not 3, but it doesn't necessarily have to be 10. 

"Did you make it so you can't shoot down a care package helicopter right away?"

@zero86r More or less. But that point depends on map. They were getting shot down before they entered the playspace. 

"How come I rarely see nuketown anymore"

@LudenFalafel Nuketowns frequency in the rotation was reduced per community feedback. 

"Will you get banned for the clan tag color change glitch?"

@TehRoflcopter1 you should be 

"Why does the FAL and M14 lock up when i pull the trigger too quickly?"

@DirkDeadeye Anti turbo controller measures. 

"Why can't I change my care package with hardline pro, when my teammate has already started capturing my care package?"

@Terrian1234 Have to deal with it. We did this on purpose because people were changing packages against will of teammate. 

"Why does a certain gun show as my favorite, when I have more kills with other guns?"

@MW2_Blue Time. Not kills.

"Are you actually banning glithers/cheaters, because it doesn't seem like it?"

@StoneySte We already have. Please see my post on official forums. I will never talk about this. No need to make them famous. 

"If my emblem doesn't contain a swastika then who cares about content. Isn't the game rated Mature?"(I was so happy to see this because we get the same argument on the forum all the time, and Vahn’s post will put it to rest.)

@chasze That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Honesty. Temp bans will turn into perma bans if you keep it up.

"Any word on W@W zombie maps being available for DLC?"

@Brlan810 I don't know yet. Honestly. 

"I'm sick of the Nazi symbols/emblems, is there anything i can do about this?" 

@armyrangerxx1 Some platforms allow you to turn off user created content.

"Why do you lose the Death Machine when using motion sensors?"

@DavidVonderhaar Not sure if you're aware of a Death Machine problem. You lose it when you use motion sensor.:http://youtu.be/tmS62aZRCDc

@CaptureTheFrag To prevent it from being whory (aka OP), we force you to use it up and not weapon or equipment switch away from it. 

"Can we expect to see some 3rd person playlists?"

@neeqhughes Sorry man. No 3rd person coming. FPS. First Person Shooter.

"Why are the attachments limited when using the Warlord Perk?"

@DavidVonderhaar All I ask, is for an explanation as to why the Warlord perk is limited?

@Mindleech Because if it wasn't, our inbox would be full of complaints about how OP Masterkey, GL, and Flamethrower are. Trade offs. 

"Why is there an option to vote on the previous map? Who would want to play the same map over and over again?"–

Fixed. You can only play the same map twice in a row.

"Why can't i hear footsteps when I am using my super-awesome Turtle Beach?"

Fixed, although some people think it is still too quiet. I will post about any future updates regarding sound and foosteps.

"My things unlocked in combat training won't work in matchmaking?"

Rank and all items in combat training are kept separate from matchmaking. If you get to level 30 in combat training, you will still start out at level 1 in matchmaking. If you unlock every weapon in combat training, you will not have access to those weapons in matchmaking. Also you will NOT be allowed to transfer over money, or xp, into matchmaking.

"Where are all the MP customization options"? I've found no option anywhere for editing my person/camo/class names/clan tags?

For your clantag/emblem etc its under player card. For class names, all you do is press X to rename it. Also, keep mind that many people are just starting out in the game, and some stuff may not be unlocked yet. Also keep in mind that you may have unlocked certain items, but not purchased it yet. Remember, just about everything needs to be purchased in the game. (Credit to Nozza x360a)

"Can I create an emblem like a nazi symbol, or a marijauna lead and not get banned."

NO!!!!! Here is a link to the XBL Code of conduct http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/codeofconduct (credit to Tieg). Also here is an excerpt involving this type of concern.

"Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or ingame content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities. "

"Do you lose almost everything when you prestige?" 

Yes, you lose nearly everything when you prestige except for emblems. You lose your XP, cash, weapons, perks, attachments, and pretty much everything that is important for gameplay.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

"I like all the updates, but what has been fixed so far?"

All of these updates/fixes are taken directly from JD 2020's posts on the callofduty.com Black Op's forums.

Hey 360 gamers,

We are listening to you and we’ve been busy working on updates based on feedback from the community. We have already deployed a number of updates, and there will be many more to come. Stay tuned right here for all the latest info.

LIVE FIXES

9/13/2011 (Title Update 13)

• Security Updates.
  • Addressed an issue where Custom Private Match settings were carrying over to Public matches.
  • Prohibited clan tags can no longer be used.
  • A player’s win streak will now break if they quit out during a live match.
  • Players that are partied up are no longer allowed to go into party-restricted lobbies such as FFA.
  • Fixed a rare issue with Recent Games not showing the correct heat map.
  • Addressed an exploit copying another player’s emblem/playercard.

8/21/2011(Title Update 12)

• Addressed an issue with attack dogs causing them to "warp" under rare circumstances.
  • Fixed an exploit allowing players to purchased locked classified weapons
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed players to get above 15th Prestige using Combat Training/Player Match menus.
  • Improvements to spawn system.
  • Addressed some bugs with Custom Game Settings for CTF related to Touch Return Disabled
  • Added Rezurrection DLC support (Launching August 23 first on Xbox 360!)
  • Check for the Moon theme and Zombies soundtrack in the in-game store once you've downloaded the new DLC!

7/12/11(Title Update 11)

• Security Updates.
  • Search and Destroy audio tweaks for planting and defusing.

6/23/11(Title Update 10)

• Security Updates.
  • New playlists – Flags and Bombs
  • C4 can no longer be warped to player carrying bomb in S&D and Sabotage.
  • Removed erroneous “Reset to Default” message when trying to load a DLC map you do not have.
  • In-game icons (care package icons, etc) no longer appear in the Create A Class menu.
  • Support for Annihilation map pack, available June 28th on Xbox LIVE!
  • Fix for a rare crash related to weapons.
  • Game no longer crashes when Xbox LIVE servers are down.
  • Additional weapon balancing.
  • Ninja Pro Perk no longer makes sounds when mantling or diving to prone.

5/31/11 (Title Update 9)

• Security Updates.
  • Combat Record properly displays other players’ first stat page even if they don’t have the latest TU.
  • Improvements to split screen fog.
  • Films are now accessible even if a user’s console date/time is not set up properly.
  • Score and time limit no longer reset in Combat Training if a user opens other menus.

4/28/11 (Title Update 8)

• Support for Escalation Map Pack (Releasing 5/3/11)
  • Security Updates.
  • Addition of banner-style Message of the Day on the MP Main Menu.
  • Addition of Hardcore FFA and TDM for Combat Training.
  • Additional sniper rifle tuning changes.
  • Addition of “Competition” Barebones playlist.
  • Replaced RPG with Grim Reaper in Gun Game Wager Match.
  • Prevent automatic weapons from jamming if the player is feathering the fire button on “Default Alt”, “Tactical Flipped” or “Nom4d Flipped”.
  • Fine-tuned napalm and bombing-run damage indoors.
  • Prevented rare invulnerability issue.
  • Additional game mode timer options for Custom Games.
  • Fixed a minor out of map exploit in Grid.
  • General Killcam and death-cam improvements.
  • Improved Auto-Assign reliability in Private Match.
  • Addressed an infinite “joining session in progress” screen under very specific timing conditions.
  • Demolition bombs can no longer explode and be defused at the same time.
  • Spy play now activates in One in the Chamber in all cases.
  • The “Sprint Kills” challenge for Steady Aim perk now rewards the player with the correct number of kills.
  • Contracts purchased but not yet expired no longer count as expired when viewing a friend’s player card.
  • Addressed a rare issue where a hacked camera spike would not function properly if the hacker also had a camera spike that was destroyed.
  • Recording a clip with the speed mode for 2 cameras set to .1 will no longer increase in speed when switching perspectives back and forth.
  • Improvements to Zipline functionality when viewed in Theater mode.
  • Settings from custom games are all cleared and no longer carry over from one custom match to another.
  • Improvements to map voting reliability in lobbies.
  • Nova gas will now affect players that are standing over their tactical insertion.
  • Hardcore players who kill another teammate in last stand now lose the proper amount of points.
  • Players can no longer transfer emblems/backgrounds from Combat Training to Player Match.
  • Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance).
  • Improvements to “Community” filters.

3/17/11 (hotfix)

• Addressed several Zombies exploits.
  • Addressed an exploit that allowed players to get outside of the designated map boundaries on Nuketown and Kowloon.
  • Added "Mercenary" (TDM exclusive) playlist to MP.
  • Disabled Split-Screen play in Mercenary playlists.

2/28/11 (Title Update 7)

Issues Addressed:

• Matchmaking improvements to return higher quality results faster. This change includes settings that are tunable in the live environment, so tweaking may continue beyond initial release of this update.
  • The in-game store now hides DLC map packs that do not match the language of the player’s disc to decrease the possibility of users downloading the incorrect language version.
  • Calling in a Chopper Gunner immediately after getting shot down in a Gunship will no longer end the Chopper Gunner run prematurely. Required timing-specific button presses.
  • Split screen players are now able to change camera perspectives and cycle through players as a spectator.
  • Addressed an issue where the most recent match played in Zombies could overwrite the best match played on the leaderboard.
  • Improved Zombies lobbies to prevent players from erroneously receiving the error “Unable to join game session” under certain circumstances.
  • Addressed a number of community-discovered Zombies gameplay exploits.
  • Additional security feature updates.

Gameplay Tuning:

• Additional sniper rifle tuning.

1/27/11 (Title Update 6)

New Features:

• New contracts added to the rotation.
  • Added optional pre-match timer for LAN / System-Link games.
  • Support for “First Strike” map pack. All First Strike maps will be available in every playlist on 2/1.

Issues Addressed:

• Fix timing specific issue where the game can be put into slow motion.
  • Addressed "disconnected path" error when using the doors in Radiation after a host migration.
  • Fixed stability issues navigating lobbies after client on Split Screen Zombies quits out of a game.
  • Addressed issue/exploit when removing Counter Spy Plane effects with the Jammer.
  • Fixed a freeze when quickly loading maps one after another in private match.
  • Fixed issue where players get primary weapons in Second Chance.
  • Fixed “NEW” stamp not disappearing for Custom Slot 9 when highlighting the slot.
  • Removed water vision effect when respawning after dying in the acid pool in Radiation.
  • Several contract fixes.
  • Now allow players to connect to System Link Games even if they are not connected to LIVE.
  • Fixed crash when host migration occurred during a join-in-progress.
  • Fixed issue with players seeing incomplete Create a Class submenus when Party leader switches lobbies or kicks player.
  • Fixed in-game Friends List from opening when viewing then closing the playercard of a player in a lobby.
  • Addressed Zombies split screen issue where players sometimes get booted back in the lobby.
  • Replaced debug text appearing for some content in the in-game Store.
  • Fixed crash when attempting to watch a film or clip with 3 or more profiles signed in.
  • Fixed freeze while watching films and changing sign-in status using inactive profiles.
  • Fixed a freeze if a player opens the Xbox Guide while the match is ending and quits immediately as they arrive in the post-game lobby.

Gameplay Tuning:

• Second Chance – players that put an enemy into Second Chance are now credited for a full kill once that enemy dies. If another player kills the enemy while the enemy is in Second Chance, they will get assist credit.
  • Adjustments to the PSG1 with attachments.
  • AK74U adjustments.
  • RCXD adjustments.
  • Silenced sniper rifle adjustments.
  • Removed hit markers when shooting friendly equipment.

1/4/11

• Additional security feature updates.

(Continued...)

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

(...Continue)

12/13

New Features:

• Over 400 brand new Contracts
  • Practice Dummies (aka, AI bots) in offline Local Split Screen
  • A new camera editing mode in Theater called "Dolly Cam"
  • "Load Multiplayer by Default" option for the PS3

Issues Addressed:

• Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
  • Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
  • Addressed issue that prevented the “Load MP by Default” option from saving when other specific option combinations were set.
  • Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
  • Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
  • Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
  • Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
  • Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
  • Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
  • Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
  • Prevention of Gunship and Chopper Gunner failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
  • Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
  • Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:

• Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
  • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
  • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
  • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
  • Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
  • Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
  • Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

11/23

• Addition of Hardcore HQ & Hardcore CTF game modes to the playlists
  • Prevention of the ability to earn XP in Private Matches

11/18

• Improvements to the spawn system to resolve an issue where negative spawn influencers from specific game events were not always being deleted after the danger had cleared – in some matches, this was causing good spawns to be erroneously flagged by the game as bad spawns, which in turn forced actual bad spawns to get selected later in the match
  • Experimental slight reduction in knife lunge range – this is a trial change
  • Prevention of Prestige glitching – trying to prestige from Combat Training will reset your stats but not give you prestige

11/17 (full title update)

• Improved matchmaking to find matches significantly faster
  • Improved matchmaking to ensure that players are more effectively matched to games with the best networking conditions
  • Improved host selection to ensure that the best host is always selected in the pre-game lobby
  • Improved party system to ensure that parties don’t get broken apart
  • Disable ability to join Private Match, Combat Training and Theater lobbies when searching for Player Match games
  • Server-side and game-side changes to decrease the amount of failed Film uploads
  • Weekly and Monthly leaderboards will now track all kills, deaths and assists properly (All Time leaderboards were not affected by this)
  • Prevention of Combat Training stats getting crossed with Player Match stats under rare conditions
  • Prevention of temporary loss of functionality when a button was being held down at the point of a disconnect
  • Additional fine-tuning of audio levels and ranges for footsteps and gunfire
  • Additional fine-tuning of audio levels for bomb plants/defuses
  • Additional online security enhancements

11/16

• Prevention of killstreak selection getting disabled in Combat Training under rare conditions
  • Array: Added collision to prevent players from partially clipping into a tree
  • Launch: Added collision to prevent players from strafe jumping onto an invisible ledge at the base of the rocket near B3
  • Summit: Added collision to prevent players from jumping to a location outside of the map boundary when in Custom Games where player speed is maxed out
  • Havana: Added collision to prevent players from jumping onto an invisible ledge above a doorway at C2
  • Nuketown: Adjusted a spawn point that would spawn players on top of a mannequin’s head when that mannequin was randomly spawned in that location

11/12

• Launch: User could access a small platform outside of the intended play space below the rocket gantry by jumping to a very specific location; now blocked from access
  • Launch: User could access a small area inside geometry at vents near Dom flag A by going prone and moving around in a very specific location; now blocked from access
  • Some users reported that weapon attachment challenges were not resetting after prestige; now all are guaranteed to clear as soon as selecting the prestige option

11/11

• Online number counts were not updating properly; these are now reporting exact online numbers
  • Parties getting disbanded when host did not find a match quickly

11/10

• Users’ rank and stats can get wiped under very specific conditions

11/9

• Radar sweep when there are only 2 players left in One in the Chamber will stop functioning if the 2 players have multiple lives when the sweep starts
  • Crash when viewing content (films, clips, etc) in the Community & Recent Games menu

11/5

• Villa: User can clip into rock at west edge of grid zone B2 and see through to the other side
  • Crisis: User can clip into LVT between grid zone A3 and B3 and see through to the other side
  • User can get an infinite number of 'Sam Turret', 'Care Package' and 'Sentry Gun' killstreaks (commonly referred to as the “care package glitch”)

Regards,

-JD

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

The following is Vahn's post on Filters, and why you cant name a class 'Assault', at the Black Ops forums...

Understanding Profanity Filters with Dr. Strangelove

Understanding Profanity Filters. Or: Why I can’t name my class ***ault!

All console manufactures have requirements (known as Technical Requirements, Requirements Checklists, check lot, and other names) in order to publish your game on their system.

All console manufactures (PS3, 360, Wii) also have some form of profanity filter and they require us to use it.

The requirements can be slightly different between the big 3 console makers (what we call 1st parties); so is the technology they use for profanity filtering.

The games rating has nothing to do with requirements the 1st party places on games. It doesn’t matter if your game is rated “M” for Mature or rated “E” for Everyone. All of us have the same requirements.

All that said, in general, any and all user-entered text must go through the 1st party profanity filter. This includes Custom Class names and Clan Tags.

When you try and name your class “Assault” it’s considered user entered text.

We must send it to the 1st party using the API (application programming interface) they provided us. The requirement might be as simple as “all user entered text” and rarely as specific as “all user entered text seen by users other than yourself.”

You enter “Assault.”

We send it to the 1st party.

The 1st party then tells us “Yes” or “No.” It’s very binary. It’s not “No... unless...” Or “Yes... but only if...”

Presumably, the ass in Assault is what flags this as being inappropriate. The 1st parties don’t give us a reason why the text is considered profane.

Some users have even reported that they can’t enter a clan tag at all, even one that is not offensive or profane. This always bothered me. With the help of some co-workers from production and engineering, I looked into it today and it motivated me to write this blog post.

When you add a clan tag, we then have to send both clan tag and gamertag/username to the 1st party to be checked. This is so you clever folks don’t form a new profane word using a combination of clan tag and gamertag/username and work around the 1st party requirements.

For example: [As]sartist.

The gamertag/username sartist may not be offensive, and neither is the clan tag [As]but the combination of clan tag and gamertag/username would be considered profane by the 1st party. Simply checking the clan tag would not necessarily meet the requirements.

In some cases, you can’t enter a clan tag at all. Take, for example, a hypothetical gamertag of Masst0r who wants to be [DJ]Masst0r.

Nothing offensive here, right? Well. Yes and no.

Over time, all the 1st parties have changed and updated the profanity filters. Masst0r made his gamertag/username either (1) before it would have be trapped by the 1st parties’ own profanity filter and is grandfathered in or (2) gamertags/usernames don’t use the same exact system that developers are required to use.

Unfortunately for Masst0r, the ass in [DJ]Masst0r is now considered offensive when it wasn't before. No pun intended.

I’ve tried to name my class “Assault” before. I had the same reaction you did. What. The. ****.

Oh, sorry! Good thing the profanity filter caught that.

David ‘Vahn’ Vonderhaar

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

Express; DLC Moshpit; Hardcore DLC Moshpit

Hello-

I am working on the following updates for the next major Playlist revision and need some feedback.

=====Express=====

30 second lobby timer; no game mode that has a respawn timer; small maps; No Ghost; No Second Chance allowed.

Using the above basics, please confirm the fastest playing game modes and map combinations.

Please express as such to make it easy for me to follow you:

Nuketown; Dem

Nuketown; TDM

Firing Range; Sab

=====DLC Moshpit=====

Moshpit of game modes using only DLC maps.

In your opinion, what are the best playing game modes on DLC maps. For example, if you just love Domination on Drive-In, please express as:

Drive In; Dom

The first must be a DLC map, but can be any DLC from any of the 3 packs released so far, and it does not have to be all of them. If you are not a fan of CTF on Kowloon, then just don't include it in your list. It's not a problem.

=====DLC Hardcore Moshpit=====

For your Hardcore fans, the same as above only using hardcore game mode variants.

In your opinion, what are the best playing hardcore game modes using only DLC map variants. Just like the above, please express as a map and game mode combination. For example:

Kowloon; Hardcore SD

For these DLC moshpits, I really want the fan favorite combinations of maps and game modes.

I am also making changes to the Competition playlists, as well as the Hardcore category of playlists.

I am going to sticky the thread for 3 days and then lock it at the end of the week. We have to do this stuff far ahead of when you actually get to see it.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Looking good well done =]

Some pretty sweet updates in the new patch. My favourites have to be:

Addition of Hardcore FFA and TDM for Combat Training.

Fine-tuned napalm and bombing-run damage indoors.

and definitely:

Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance).

• 3 weeks later...

Some pretty sweet updates in the new patch. My favourites have to be:

and definitely:

Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance). that is still happening sometimes ,when they drop they get the 1 second magic cant die bs and they also fire there primary then there hand gun as there dropping ..

• 2 weeks later...
Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance). that is still happening sometimes ,when they drop they get the 1 second magic cant die bs and they also fire there primary then there hand gun as there dropping ..

Yeah, I've noticed it a little too, but I just see it as lag.

I think though, that there might have been times when the person in Second Chance kept his primary, and never switched to a pistol.

Updated Post 8 with the latest patch details (5/31/11), and Post 1 with where to register to beta test Call of Duty Elite

Yeah, I've noticed it a little too, but I just see it as lag.

I think though, that there might have been times when the person in Second Chance kept his primary, and never switched to a pistol.

Updated Post 8 with the latest patch details (5/31/11), and Post 1 with where to register to beta test Call of Duty Elite

I put it down to lag too, as in they shot the gun just before you shot them into second chance, so the killcam interprets this as him shooting you while dropping.

I put it down to lag too, as in they shot the gun just before you shot them into second chance, so the killcam interprets this as him shooting you while dropping.

I think that sort of explains something I have often wondered about, which is if they kill me with a primary, then they shouldn't go into Second Chance, because I didn't do enough damage before I died, but then they do drop, and I think 'Well, if I did enough to put him there, he couldn't have killed me with his primary, meaning I should still be alive, or the killfeed should show otherwise'.

Either way, I still hate that perk.

I think that sort of explains something I have often wondered about, which is if they kill me with a primary, then they shouldn't go into Second Chance, because I didn't do enough damage before I died, but then they do drop, and I think 'Well, if I did enough to put him there, he couldn't have killed me with his primary, meaning I should still be alive, or the killfeed should show otherwise'.

Either way, I still hate that perk.

It was never a problem in WaW for me. MW2's deathstreak was by far the worst version of it, keeping primary weapon while you are bleeding out.

(I remember recently in MW2 not switching the deathstreak on my sniper class to copycat and ended up on a deathstreak, 'quickscoped' 3/4 guys while in FS. Ridiculous).

It was never a problem in WaW for me. MW2's deathstreak was by far the worst version of it, keeping primary weapon while you are bleeding out.

(I remember recently in MW2 not switching the deathstreak on my sniper class to copycat and ended up on a deathstreak, 'quickscoped' 3/4 guys while in FS. Ridiculous).

Urgh. I think all the deathstreaks bar Copycat are overpowered. Although, I think I would rather go against someone with Final Stand, than someone with Painkiller. That takes second place, behind M/L/C lunges past a shotgun blast, as one of my most hated things about Call of Duty.