Gameplay Guide: "Instruction Manual," Level Summaries and Score Table!

Taiyz

This topic acts as a companion thread to the achievement guide and the collectibles guide. Check 'em out!

Control Schemes and Must-Know Moves

Abilities

These special moves mostly focus on defense, and apart from Bullet Reflect, give you invincibility frames during their animations! This allows you to book it through many stages without batting an eyelid at the enemies.

Abilities are available for use in Arcade Mode by default.

Bullet Reflect

While standing, press B the instant before a projectile hits you to nullify it, then fire a powerful shot at an angle relative to the where the projectile hit you and its original heading. This isn't really a reflection, per say, since every projectile you reflect turns into the same bullet sprite. You also reflect multiple projectiles with a single press of the button, if more than one hits you at once!

This will work on pretty much any stand alone projectile that's about as big as the Crash Shot, from bullets to lasers to all sorts of bombs (rockets launched by the big guys, parachute bombs from stage 2's helicopter bosses, etc.) and even the big red bombs that the bomber enemies drop. It's also very useful for dealing with snipers.

Note that many boss attacks (even the small purple lasers fired by 573-Draconis) cannot be reflected, but bosses have a specific bullet sprite that *can* be reflected; it's the green one that the turret above the stage 1 wall cannon fires, as well as the helicopters in stage 2.

Vault

While dashing, press B near anything knee-high to vault over it. Crates, cardboard boxes, low-flying projectiles, bugs, 'gators all apply.

Dodge

While dashing, press B near anything chest-high to duck under it. This applies to most to projectiles, but also to the flowers in stage 2!

Super Tackle

While dashing, press B near any sandbags or explosive barrel to send them flying into your enemies! Sandbags have a shotgun kind of effect, and tackling an explosive barrel just makes it explode further down the way.

This also works on the destructible rock walls in level 3, but of course only if you're on the same floor as the wall, so the one at the start that's slightly raised off of the floor is a no-go. (Thanks braindead200[1]!)

Ambush and Ambush Shot

While dashing, press B near any 2D enemy (you don't react at all to enemies like those 3D turrets) to step past them. During this animation, your character faces the enemy's back. If you fire your gun, you'll use the Ambush Shot, a bullet that does 5x as much damage as your standard shots.

Samurai Action

A quartet of moves that only Sayuri may use. They must be used on the ground.

First is the unnamed palm thrust, press Y to thrust forward for some decent damage and invincibility frames!

Second is the Launch Attack; press Y while holding Up (or either upwards diagonal) to thrust diagonally upwards. It is the same as the palm thrust, except...

Third is the Homing Jump! Press Y after the Launch Attack to follow your opponent into the air, and then...

Fourth is the Dunk Attack. Press Y after the Homing Jump to slash downwards at your foe(s,) sending them hurtling towards the ground.

I really don't know what the point of this combo is since I haven't found an enemy that the palm thrust and Launch Attack couldn't kill by themselves, but it looks cool.

Dark abilities

A trio of actions that only Leviathan may perform. They must be used on the ground with the exception of Throw, which may also be used on the hoverboard in stage 4.

Moonsault

Press Y while holding Up to flip backwards. Like the Ninja Jump upgrade, Leviathan has invincibility while rising but is vulnerable while descending (when the afterimage ends.) He is also able to jump or air dash out of this move (thanks, braindead200[1]!)

Throw

Press Y to throw a grenade in the direction Leviathan is facing; grenades are slightly weaker than a Level 1 Crash Shot but are thrown more rapidly and have a higher arc. In the air he is able to throw grenades in all 8 directions because the other Dark abilities cannot be used (though, even if you turn the others off, on the ground he can only throw grenades left and right.) He can also throw grenades during a Moonsault, but they all go straight down. On the ground, Leviathan cannot move while throwing a grenade.

Slide

Press Y while holding Down to perform a sliding kick. Leviathan is invincible for the entire duration of the move and deals damage to any enemies he kicks; he can even Moonsault during a Slide in the case that he ends up inside of an enemy it won't finish off! This is definitely his most useful move, and a great throwback to the original Contra: Hard Corps...If only it were mapped to Down+Jump like, uh, EVERY OTHER side-scrolling action game with a slide move, kicking attack or no.

Thanks go out to this guy on GameFAQs, 0nlysolution, for Vault, Dodge and Super Tackle. There's also this other guy, Spootz, for the Homing Jump and Dunk Attack. Props to ManBurning for being on point with Leviathan's inputs while I took my time figuring 'em out.

Edited by Taiyz

Characters

Bahamut

Krystal

DLC, What am I buying?

Characters (DLC)

Harley Daniels

Sayuri

Leviathan

Boss Names

Level 1

Lotus Wyrm

Level 2

Knight Persica

Level 3

573-Tigris

573-Draconis

Level 4

Lux Corona

Level 5

Celestial Imperator

Level 6

Arachne

Level 7

Knight Lunata

Cerberus

Level 8

Vitis Engine

Tiberius Augustus

Tiberius Invictus

Edited by Taiyz

Easter Eggs

These are obscure little secrets that give a nod to other games in the franchise, and to the company's history.

Remixed Contra Music

Enter the Konami Code (Up Up, Down Down, Left Right, Left Right, B A) while stage 1 is loading. A remix of the first level's theme from the original Contra will play instead of the usual song! Boss music is unchanged, so once you hop on the motorcycle it's so long to those sweet memories.

Thanks for this one, Vext The Hext.

The Japanese love their word puns. I'm gonna quote Wikipedia on this one so I don't say anything stupid about the language, "Konami is represented by the goroawase number "573". "Five" in Japanese is go, changed to the voiceless form ko; "7" in Japanese is nana shortened to na; "3" in Japanese is mittsu, shortened to mi; "573" = ko-na-mi."

573 is similar to stuff like Treyarch staff using "3arc" as their clan tag, or Goichi Suda's nickname, Suda51 (in Japanese, "5" is go, "1" is ichi.) Namco developers are also known to use the number 765 (na-mu-ko) in reference to the company.

The number 573 appears in many games developed or published by Konami, and you should know where to look if you want to know more. In Hard Corps: Uprising, this number appears in the following places:

-Level 3's bosses are named 573-Tigris and 573-Draconis respectively.

-UPRISING R costs 57,300,000 Corps Points in the Shop & Customize menu.

-"Unlimited" credits: 573 credits on the Continue screen. In shoot-'em-ups such as Ikaruga, they typically reward you for playing them by adding more credits to your total (like 1 every hour) but once you reach a certain time frame, you get unlimited credits! This appears to be Hard Corps: Uprising's variant of the trend, and you get it after completing 100 gameplay sessions.

Thanks to Auxois for the cost of UPRISING R, and EpicPandemic for bringing the 573 continues to my attention.

Edited by Taiyz

Customization Costs

Here's a Google docs Spreadsheet containing the costs of each upgrade in the Shop & Customize menu:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/138t00xlGfOfcd7uXEVW-8jzBhfdXGGazTcNkgBibyic/edit?usp=sharing

(Still under construction, don't bother sending me info.)

Upgrade Descriptions

Edited by Taiyz
Replaced old Google spreadsheets link

Score Tables

Rank Requirements

S: 4,000,000

A:

B:

C:

D:

Level Bonuses

Clear Bonus: 500,000 for the first level you play and +100,000 for each following level (ie: if you started Rising Mode with stage 2, the stage 4 Clear Bonus would be 700,000)

Time Bonus: 3,000,000 --> 1,000,000 --> 400,000 --> 200,000 --> 50,000

Special Bonuses

Star Chip Acquired: 250,000

No Damage Run: 5,000,000 (Thanks, Todaysforgotten!)

Note: Getting a bug stuck to you does not count as damage (thanks, CrazyStairs!)

Time Bonus Requirements

Summarized from cra's S Rank score thread. You can also find videos on how to S rank stages in there, courtesy of L0cke89!

Level 1

3mil: 6 minutes

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

3mil: 10 minutes

Level 5

3mil: 10 minutes

Level 6

3mil: 7 minutes

Level 7

3mil: 12 minutes

Level 8

3mil: 12 minutes

Items

Note: point values are subject to your current multiplier!

Weapon Items

Machine Gun:

Spread Shot:

Chain Laser:

Ripple:

Heated Plasma:

Crash Gun:

Score Items

Blue: 10,000

Green: 50,000

Red: 100,000

Recovery Items

Life-Up: 1,000

Life Max: 3,000

Other Items

Jungle Fruit: 100

1-Up: 5,000

Star Chip: 70,000

Edited by Taiyz

Yeah I hadn't gotten around to adding that information to the guide. I found some posts on GameFAQs a couple days ago that helped me fill in the blanks.

Edit: Thanks Auxois for Bahamut's UPRISING R; I remember that somebody else on the subforum mentioned it before, because I noted the 573 reference in the CP requirement. I don't think they stated their character though.

Double Edit: Thanks for the Harley Daniel's stats, too.

Hey can anybody with Harley Daniels tell me if he has the flexing icon? It's just below Laser Unit Lv3 on Bahamut's list.

Triple Edit: Found that D is the lowest rank possible. My buddy game over'd at the helicopter jump in level 1, got 0 for everything and a D rank.

Edited by Taiyz

I think what I may do tomorrow or the day after is, I'll make a profile from scratch (or play signed out) and just grind a bunch to fill in the blanks.

I wasn't expecting to be quite so busy this weekend; tomorrow I'll fill in the stuff Auxois PMed me and *finally* get around to transfering ManBurning's 1-Up list.

I also think that I might change the format of the Customization Cost list just because it's getting cluttered with all the brackets. I'll probably just make each character a separate list, with the shared lists only containing items that are not only shared, but have the same prices.

And I'm very glad you guys like what I've got so far. I'm trying to note down as much technical stuff as possible (without giving TOO much away, like the locations of hidden Score Items in the game, so people still have to work for their leaderboard positions!)

You should also add the functions of the LT and RT buttons and I played several hours before I noticed that they have a function.

LT keeps your gunfire in the same position while you can moce anywhere you want. This is significant for the final boss in the forth level when you're flying.

RT let's you stand in one position and shoot in every direction. Practical for bosses like the second and forth in the first stage.

I know it should be kinda obvious but it wasn't to me and maybe so to many others, so I think it should be in the manual guide ;P

Yeah that's part of the general control scheme which I will be listing eventually.

The thing is, ARC System Works tried to incorporate the tutorial for Strafing into the first level; you basically NEED to use it against the boss if you don't want to look like a fool.

Edit: Whoa I missed Auxois' post. That's cool. I'll note down your finding in my bit on power-ups.

Edited by Taiyz

Yeah that's part of the general control scheme which I will be listing eventually.

The thing is, ARC System Works tried to encorporate the tutorial for Strafing into the first level; you basically NEED to use it against the boss if you don't want to look like a fool.

Well, they should have used a pop up ;P

I always fought the boss without it anyway XD

just as a note, i think i've read somewhere that the 573 credits are unlocked with starting arcade/rising mode 100+ times. however there is no way to confirm it for me, but sounds good enough.

i would bet that being poisoned strips you from the 5mil bonus, as you get the 2-3 invulnerable seconds and lose health.

Edited by cra

just as a note, i think i've read somewhere that the 573 credits are unlocked with starting arcade/rising mode 100+ times. however there is no way to confirm it for me, but sounds good enough.

i would bet that being poisoned strips you from the 5mil bonus, as you get the 2-3 invulnerable seconds and lose health.

Yes. This is correct. Poison counts as getting hit.

That's noted in the achievement guide under "Burning Spirit." My justification is that in this thread I only wanted to note the one attack in the game that literally deals no damage and will never interrupt any of your goals (well except for a speed run!) In the achievement guide, I noted many similar tips and detailed them further.

I want to keep the Score Table rather tight, format-wise.

• 1 year later...