Portal 2 to be cross platform on everything bar Xbox!

MopFlop

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/portal2/news.html?sid=6286433&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;3

PS3 version to support cross-platform multiplayer against PC and Mac; will also feature online chat and cloud-based save game storage.

PlayStation 3 users who buy Portal 2 will be able to download a PC or Mac copy of the game for free, provided they link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts, Valve announced today. A number of cross-platform features were also revealed, which allow PS3, PC, and Mac users to play together, complete with online chat. PS3 users will also be able to save their games to a cloud-based storage system.

Portal 2 was originally announced for the PlayStation 3 at last year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo. Valve's Gabe Newell revealed that it would be fully supported by SteamWorks, allowing for auto-updates, downloadable content, and community support directly from Valve. He also praised the PS3, saying that it was "the most open platform of all the current generation consoles," adding that it would have "the best console version."

ortal 2 follows on from the events of Portal and will see gamers facing off against the sadistic artificial intelligence known as GLaDOS. It will feature a single-player campaign twice as long as the original, as well as a new multiplayer cooperative mode that tells a parallel story to the single-player adventure. Portal 2 is due for release this April on the PS3, Xbox 360, PC, and Mac" [/Quote]

Its on the Portal 2 forum page. However i was wondering whether people thought this would follow suit with any games. I mean we pay for our live service and PS3 dont, yet they are starting to get cross platform features because its to difficult on xbox. I dont understand that part at all. It worked with Shadowrun surely it can work again, or has MS just got really strict?

ALso very annoyed with this happening with Portal 2. Makes me want to get a PS3 as most of my friends will play it on PC

Supposedly the reason for this is that MS doesn't want Steam having anything to do with the 360.

Don't know the full in-and-outs of it but if it's true, MS are really shooting themselves in the foot with it.

This. MS has its own marketplace (GfWL) and they would let their enemies right into their base, if they open the Xbox-System for that. Long story cut short: They don't want to share money with someone else

Seems like whenever I hear about problems between Microsoft and a game publisher regarding online support, it usually has to do with Valve. It kind of makes sense, though, since Valve kind of started in PC gaming and made a move to consoles, as opposed to a company like Rockstar who's big success was on consoles first, and that's probably still where most of their business is. Valve does so much PC based business through their own service, it's only natural that they wouldn't want to conform to Xbox's policies when they're free to do what they want elsewhere. Guess us 360 exclusive users just miss out a bit.

It does seem a little silly, though, when you consider that Valve's Steam service is still running on a Microsoft based operating system. You'd think there would be more of an open door policy between people playing on one Microsoft based system and another.

Microsoft and Valve don't see eye-to-eye. Hence why the two seperated in the first place. Microsoft would probably never agree to this kind of partnership anyway.

Why pay to play a game online for the 360 when you received a free code to play the same game for free on steam? Moneywise, microsoft wouldn't see why to do it.

You gotta respect Ps3 a little though. Valve told them that programming for the ps3 was hard and Sony met with a compromise.

Sadly, I wish it could have included it for 360 as well. Simply because we pay for our service, we don't get this deal.

ALso very annoyed with this happening with Portal 2. Makes me want to get a PS3 as most of my friends will play it on PC

I think that is going to be the majority of gamers' responses. Microsoft is too stubborn. They have already started to lose thier grip on the console market. Ps3 is looking better and better.

Seems like whenever I hear about problems between Microsoft and a game publisher regarding online support, it usually has to do with Valve.

This made me chuckle, because it is so true.

It's a huge difference in idiologies. VladimirK is dead on the money there.

Microsoft wants an ironclad grip on anything and everything so builds walls around itself in hopes that they will just reign from an ivory tower. They want to be compartmentalized and seperate, unyielding and isolationist.

Valve has the exact opposite idiology. They just want everything to damn well work.

Sony and Mac at least met them in the middle. With Mac and Sony running through Steam, Valve is positioning themselves as a huge player that is not only filling demand, but filling what is rapidly becoming a necessity, like the company that makes zipper teeth, clothing need zippers. Gaming needs (or very soon will need) Steam.

With Steam they can rule everyone as everyone will be going through it. Microsoft doesn't like that. It's a threat to their own world domination plans.

Valve has shown that different platforms CAN work together. Microsoft doesn't like that either. Valve having been traditionally PC based has creeped up on the inside and usurping from within, I think that is hilarious!! :p

I'll still be getting Portal 2 for the 360, because my little Acer netbook can't even run the original Half Life let alone anything newer :(. And I can't afford or want a PS3 right now...Too many 360 games to play to throw another console in there!!! And well, that damn ungodly PS3 controller has to go!

Microsoft will be doing the 360/Steam thing in the future though, there is going to be a growing demand for cross-platforming they can't ignore forever, it's only a matter of time before they cave in if they want to keep their market share.

I am not bothered at all with this, why would i care about playing with pc or ps3 players. I don't think i will find myself searching online for people when i have friends of my own who i can play with.

The only thing that bothers me is the non free dlc thing

I don't really see what the big deal is, you can still play this game online with other Xbox users. 99% of the games I play online be it PC, 360, or PS3 aren't cross platform anyway.

This. Trust me, Portal 2 will sell just fine on the 360. However it might be conflicted with Steam because of this whole cross-platform thing.

I understand that it may not be a smart long-run move for microsoft, but microsoft has a strong enough user-base that they don't predict it will set them back too much otherwise they wouldn't follow through with this.

That being said many games that could be more fun with cross-platform don't have that option and are still very popular. I think it really doesn't matter that much.

I am not bothered at all with this, why would i care about playing with pc or ps3 players. I don't think i will find myself searching online for people when i have friends of my own who i can play with.

The only thing that bothers me is the non free dlc thing

well i see it as i have friends who are on other platforms and i would like to play with them. yes i pay for my xbox live but i dont see why i cant play the same game with people on another console if the servers are held by the company which created the game and it goes through the internet. for instance would love to play against people on the ps3 on cod

well i see it as i have friends who are on other platforms and i would like to play with them. yes i pay for my xbox live but i dont see why i cant play the same game with people on another console if the servers are held by the company which created the game and it goes through the internet. for instance would love to play against people on the ps3 on cod

This is exactly my thought, all my Portal-loving friends are getting the game on PC and PS3....

Curse you Microsoft. Let Valve be Valve already! :(

I'm considering buying this on the PC now, I'm pretty sure that at least two, possibly more, of my friends will buy it on the PC, wheras I'm pretty sure that I'll be the only one out of my friends that buys it for the 360. (Up there, where I say friends, I mean people I know IRL, rather than people on my steam/360 friends lists)

It's looking like I'm going to be moving back to PC gaming now I have a PC that is powerful enough to run almost anything released (5.7 WE rating restricted by hard drive - it's be a 7.3 if it wasn't for that). And that's not mentioning the fact that it looks to be about £15 cheaper on PC if bought through steam.

Edited by Aki2403
the grammer nazi in me