Nice Achievements!!!

xMac73

As a self-professed Fitness/Health Nut, I'm loving this list of achievements!

• 1,000 push-ups
  • Run 1,000km
  • Bike 1,000km
  • Burn 10,000 calories

Between this game and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, I may not lay my hands on a controller for months!!!

Yeah... so I'm guessing even for the most gifted gaming-athletes among us, it's going to take at a minimum... 3 months or more (and hundreds upon hundreds of hours) to 1K this game. I like it!

How is the running on the spot and the cycling? I'm really tempted by this game. Just wish I could run on a tradmill at the gyn and transfer stats from my HRM over.
I haven't fully explored the entire game yet. I just got it last night after work, and I immediately started the 9-week program. You can choose the difficulty of it --- Easy, Normal, Hard --- at least on the 9-week program part of it. I chose Hard. Day #1 on the Hard program was 30 minutes of 36 different exercises/simulations... and let me add that my heart rate hit 184 BPM at one point --- so it is SUPER INTENSE!!! (of course, the effort is all your own, so if you don't exert yourself, you won't get the real benefits of it.)

Obviously, this is one of those games where people aren't going to play it just for the gamerscore. I admit, I'm an Achievement Whore --- but I'm also a cop and an athlete, so this type of game is a perfect fit --- and I will definitely 1K it!

Anyway, the running on the spot isn't all that bad, at least right now. The runs are short --- probably 45 seconds each. Of course, I'm in super shape, so running in place as fast as I can possibly move is not a problem. I can see myself wearing a hole in the carpet, though, so I definitely need some kind of workout mat.

The biking is kinda odd. To ride, you simply assume the squat position and hold it (the avatar is seen riding the bike). To peform jumps on the bike, you simply jump from the squat position (the avatar performs a jump-trick and lands it) --- and there are a lot of jumps. To ride uphill, you simply perform a high-step run-in-place (for as long as the avatar is seen riding up the hill). So, with squating, jumping, and high-stepping, it gets intense!

I've got a treadmill at home, but it's got a super-huge display on the front of it --- and I'm sure that would interfere with the Kinect interpreting my running motion. I'm going to try to remove the super-huge display, place the treadmill in the "play area" of the Kinect, and then run to see if it will "capture" and accept my running motion correctly. I'll post those results here. I sure hope it works --- running 621 miles in 45 second sprints increments would be absolutely brutal!

On a side note --- and just my opinion of course --- this game is 10x more intense than Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (and I'm not in any way knocking YS:FE as I love that game, too). This makes YS:FE seem like a warm-up game, though, from an intensity standpoint. I've done the Gold (hard) workouts in YS:FE and I've gone through a lot of the Personal Trainer workouts --- none of it is as intense as EA Sports Active 2 on the hard difficulty!

xMac73 very nice mini review of the game gunna get it im an achievement whore too but am always in the gym doing my boxing but with wii fit their was no motivation an it was basically rubbish still use it every now an again but this has motivation with the achievements an the kinect can pick everything up much better than wii board cheers m8 anywaz cause your little review has defiantly made up my mind

xMac73 very nice mini review of the game gunna get it im an achievement whore too but am always in the gym doing my boxing but with wii fit their was no motivation an it was basically rubbish still use it every now an again but this has motivation with the achievements an the kinect can pick everything up much better than wii board cheers m8 anywaz cause your little review has defiantly made up my mind
Thanks!

Yeah... I'm a boxing fanatic, too! Hitting the heavy bag in the gym is a fantastic cardio workout... and the heart of my daily gym routine.

I'm actually quite ashamed that I didn't start with the boxing aspect of this game when I opened it last night --- that will be remedied tonight, though. :woop:

Hi xMac73--thanks for your insight on this game! I love workout games, so I'm really intrigued by this one. Question, though...I've already ordered Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and should be receiving it soon (Kinect didn't come out in Asia until a few days ago), but I was wondering if I have that, would it be wise to hold off on EA Sports Active 2 until I'm burned out on Your Shape? I'm assuming you own both, so I'd like your opinion. Thanks!

Hi xMac73--thanks for your insight on this game! I love workout games, so I'm really intrigued by this one. Question, though...I've already ordered Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and should be receiving it soon (Kinect didn't come out in Asia until a few days ago), but I was wondering if I have that, would it be wise to hold off on EA Sports Active 2 until I'm burned out on Your Shape? I'm assuming you own both, so I'd like your opinion. Thanks!
I do own both... and I'm actively playing both, too... and really enjoying both.

As with all exercise games, the difficulty is based on how hard you push yourself, and therefore the results you see from the exercises vary greatly with how intense you perform the exercises, your diet, and your lifestyle.

The games are quite different, actually. The majority of Your Shape: Fitness Evolved is low-impact, coordinated exercise routines via fitness classes, gym classes, or a personal trainer. The main focus seems to be on cardio work. The only thing I don't like about the cardio boxing and the personal trainer routines is that you are asked to stay in coordinated movement (rhythm) with the screen. Once you master the movements, though, doing them at a faster pace would suit me a lot better.

EA Sports Active 2, on the other hand, is more of a high-impact (LOTS of running in place, jumping, etc.) mixed with a big variety of resistance-band training, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and the like. Like I mentioned in a post above, the game can be quite intense on the HARD difficulty with the Intensity set to HIGH (and these are my settings). So again, you get out of it what you put into it. I like that once you're doing an exercise routine, you can do it as fast/slow as you want --- you just have to be sure the Kinect sensor recognizes what you're doing (and that goes for YS:FE, too). For example, when I'm doing the Cardio Boxing routine, I end up throwing 3x as many punches as required because the Kinect sensor sometimes doesn't recognize my movements. It's frustrating at times, but it works out because your actually getting more reps in.

Before Kinect and buying these types of games, I worked out at a local gym nearly every day. Running, cycling, weights, swimming, and boxing were my areas of focus --- about 60-90 minutes a day. Now, with these two games, I'm only going to the gym a few times a week for the weights and the impact boxing (hitting the air just isn't the same).

So, with the games being quite different, there's no reason not to play both at the same time. I just passed 1,000 calories burned in each game over the weekend --- working my way towards the 10,000 calories... and beyond!

(Again, my opinions... take them with a grain of salt. I'm a "see the glass half-full" kinda guy instead of "half-empty." I'm an optimist --- focus on the positive and overlook the negative --- I guess that's why I enjoy playing games most people say are horrible.)

xMAC73: Your a cop, with a gamerscore of 162,478? HA

There obviously isnt a lot of crime where you are located? :p

I quite like this game, it makes working out fun, and seeing as everyone on these forums are achievement whores, to get the 1000g you have to put a lot of hours in, and you kind of forget you are actually working out if you think of the points!!

I do have a few snags with it though, snag no. 1 - it seems to think you have your arm out (like how you bring up the guide menu) a lot, as throughout my 1st play, the pause menu came up at least 4 times.

snag no. 2 - There are a few exercises where you are on the ground (push ups, crunches etc.) and whether it is just that i have my sensor too high or not, it is quite temperamental. It will sometimes see me and track me, and sometimes itll kick up a fuss.

But i have finally got my girlfriend to play on the xbox now i have kinect, which in my eyes is a good investment, keep these games coming in!!

xMAC73: Your a cop, with a gamerscore of 162,478? HA

There obviously isnt a lot of crime where you are located? :p

You're right... I'm not a "typical" gamer.

And actually... I'm a Lieutenant with a gamerscore of 162,478! ;)

And yes... there's plenty of crime... but I don't work 24/7. Even we get to go home every now and then.

xMac73, I picked this up cause of your mini review you posted in here (:

And so glad I did, this is such a good buy and the achievements are definetly ones to work towards, I'm not the fittest guy but I think I could be after getting 1000 in this :)

But one problem, does anyone know why the thing which chooses songs keep coming up?

Because it keeps happening to me and I can't get off the menu so I have to restart the game and I lost 20 mins worth of work out tracking earlier >_<

xMac73, I picked this up cause of your mini review you posted in here (:

And so glad I did, this is such a good buy and the achievements are definetly ones to work towards, I'm not the fittest guy but I think I could be after getting 1000 in this :)

But one problem, does anyone know why the thing which chooses songs keep coming up?

Because it keeps happening to me and I can't get off the menu so I have to restart the game and I lost 20 mins worth of work out tracking earlier >_<

I dont know why the jukebox comes up sometimes, but i have my controller on and when i push (B) (i think, atleast one of the buttons :eek:) I get out of the jukebox... :woop:

This has happened to me. You turn it off by saying," jukebox," this thing has voice activation!

Although I'm not sure what any of the other commands are?

When I got tired I tried...

"PAUSE".....nothing

"STOP".....nothing

"BREAK"....nothing

"BITCH I'M TIRED".....nothing

If anyone knows any other voice commands please share.

• 1 month later...
After running for about 2-3 hours my bar didn't even go up with 1% more like 0,75%, so that will take allot of time. With the bike it goes alot fast. After doing that for 4-6 hours I was at about 20%. So only 5 achievements left in this game and i'm finally done.

How are you tracking these stats? The EA Sport Active 2 website only seems to show a summary of the running, nothing on the biking? I don't see a progress bar anywhere.

How are you tracking these stats? The EA Sport Active 2 website only seems to show a summary of the running, nothing on the biking? I don't see a progress bar anywhere.

In game there's a menu somewhere where you can track your milestones. I'll look into it tonight but I might have a problem telling where it is becaus my game is in Dutch :p so all the names are differnt.

Thanks. I did look there last night and all it shows is the milestones either blacked out or completed, didn't see a progress bar.

Please do let me know what you can - thanks.

EDIT:

I found the progress bar you mentioned. My progress on the running is VERY disappointing :(

Edited by Mr Arrow

Thanks. I did look there last night and all it shows is the milestones either blacked out or completed, didn't see a progress bar.

Please do let me know what you can - thanks.

EDIT:

I found the progress bar you mentioned. My progress on the running is VERY disappointing :(

Good thing you found it yourself because I didn't play the game yesterday :p

I know it goes really slow :( how about your progress on the mountain bike?

Ok guys, I am also a bit interested in doing the 1000km run and mountain biking. To help figure out my progress, I played around with it a little bit and tried figuring out the distances and times per exercise. This should give everyone an idea of how long you can expect the achievements to take. I don't mean for this to discourage anyone, just giving a realistic estimate.

First, we will start with the running.

The most efficient exercise I have found for running is Fitness Trail-Outrun on HIGH difficulty. By checking my distance in my stats before and after my sessions, I have concluded that each session of Outrun on HIGH is approximately .36 miles long (The distance in the stats section only rounds to the tenths place, so I had to play several sessions and calculate to figure out the hundredths place).

Also, when playing, instead of running in place as fast as I could, I just did a brisk speed walk. The digital runner still seemed to be jogging at a decent rate, but for the well-being of the player, I don't imagine you will be able string together several sessions while exerting full speed.

Anyways, each session of Outrun/High took about 1:55 at the above mentioned speed.

So, at .36 miles a session at 1:55, it would take approximately 1726.1 sessions and 3308.4 minutes (about 55 hours) at the given rates.

Next is Mountain Biking.

Mountain Biking goes a fair bit faster as the bike moves way faster than the runner.

The most efficient method of attaining distance would be to play on High difficulty. Not only is the track longer, but you have fewer periods of running in relation to the overall length of the track.

I have determined that each session of Mountain Biking/High nets about 1.5 miles. These take approximately 1:50 to complete.

So, to reach the 1000km, if you earn 1.5 miles in 1:50, then it would take approximately 414.26 sessions and approximately 759.5 minutes (about 12.7 hours).

So there you go. Sounds like a lot, but it is still a way shorter journey than getting the Endless mode achievement in Bejeweled 2 (Which many people have done). And besides, you are getting in shape!

So there you go. Sounds like a lot, but it is still a way shorter journey than getting the Endless mode achievement in Bejeweled 2 ...

Until you actually try doing it!

I'll finish the 9 week program tomorrow and only have done about 39 miles running within that program! Thanks for the numbers breakdown, but my 45 year old body can tell you how hard this is.

I don't know anything about the Bejeweled achievement, but I'm sure it involves sitting on your ass. :(

Until you actually try doing it!

I'll finish the 9 week program tomorrow and only have done about 39 miles running within that program! Thanks for the numbers breakdown, but my 45 year old body can tell you how hard this is.

I don't know anything about the Bejeweled achievement, but I'm sure it involves sitting on your ass. :(

Bejeweled 2 has a mode called Endless Mode. There is a 10 point achievement for reaching level 281. This takes approximately 200 hours.

Normally, you would spend this time on your ass, but when I attempted it (got about 40% of the way) I would either listen to music or run on the treadmill (or both). Even then, it was done over a course of several months.

I plan on attacking the 1000km achievements the same way. An hour every other day or so for a few months, and I should be able to get there.

Normally I would dismiss achievements like this, but I have already committed myself (100percentkinect.blogspot.com)

Anyways, I respect Kinect achievements far more than other 360 games because you have to earn them in multiple respects.

I not only look at the measly 25GS I will get from the achievement, but all the calories burned along the way.