"Man of the People" and "Tropican Fiesta"

Neverender

So, these are two of the last achievements I need, and I can't get them. I've come painfully close on Tropican Fiesta (68%), but haven't ever come close for Man of the People. Seeing as I suck at this game, can someone point me to/post a guide for them? I don't have access to Live, so I can't use the "Where's the Beef?" challenge, please keep that in mind.

Edit: Nevermind, got both in "The Toady". Had 71% happiness and a lowest of 90% respect. For anyone else who needs help:

Notes:

• If you do this on "The Toady" and the president gives away one of your industial buildings, demolish it and rebuild it. You get it back, and it does no good to you when it's privately owned.
  • I cannot stress this enough. SAVE YOUR GAME. That way, if something goes south, you can reload. I saved every five years or so, but it's probably a good idea to save more frequently.
  • If you're wondering, I used a custom character with this: Farmer background, Diplomatic and Green Thumb as traits, Ugly and Short Tempered as flaws.

Spend the first ten or so years building your economy, don't ever give anyone a raise unless the military is making a coup, only build a church, clinic, and a high school to increase happiness. Focus on tobacco farms, cigar factories, and infrastructure (garages, teamsters), and a foreign ministry. Keeping everything close together will help. Your people will probably hate you by now and begin to rebel, but that's not important (yet).

Invest in an armory when necessary, and then get the USSR Trade Edict. Start building apartments, never anything except apartments, anything else will decrease the housing quality, cost too much, or use electricity. Once people are satisfied to the point that they aren't rebelling, stop and wait for your cash to come in. And remember: NEVER give anyone a raise. They get greedy when you do.

Before you start trying to make people happy, make sure you have at least $100,000 with $25,000+ coming in on every freighter. It should take you a max of 20 years to do this. Expand your city and use the almanac to find out what needs fixed.

See this post by Grummy on how to increase happiness.

For respect:

Capitalists: Want good economy. Make sure you have plenty of industrial businesses, and don't go into debt. Doing so will lose a lot of capitalist respect.

Communists: Want equality. Make sure all wages are fairly close, and that housing and medical care are readily available.

Economists: Don't want pollution. Make sure your power plant(s) (I only had one plant when I got the achievement) are running on Natural Gas, and any Oil Refineries have the less pollution addition. They are probably the hardest to get respect from, so you can also issue the Pollution Standards and Anti-Littering Edicts and plant decorations to increase respect.

Nationalists: Don't want immigrants. Once you have a population of 300+, you won't need any more people, and more people will probably just make it harder. When you get to 300, build an immigration center and set it to Tropico First.

Militarists: Just make sure you have an adequate army. I had two guard outposts, an armory, and a base and it was enough for 350 people.

Religious: Want churches/cathedrals. I had three churches and a cathedral and had 100% religious respect, so just aim for that.

Intellectuals: Want high schools, colleges, and liberty.

All factions: Build newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations. They all have settings that increase factions' respect in the area, so having these is a great boost to help with the Man of the People achievement.

The Final Year:

SAVE BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE LAST YEAR.

If you're going for Tropican Fiesta, max everyone's wages, make all housing free, and issue edicts that don't have negative side effects. You should be able to gain at least 3% in the final year doing this, but you will probably go into debt (which lowers capitalist respect), so I suggest you don't try to do this and Man of the People at the same time.

If you're going for Man of the People, make sure that all factions are over 68% at the beginning of the year.

If all of them are, build a bank and issue the "Bribe Faction Leaders" edict and unless something catastrophic happens, you should get it.

If there are factions between 60% and 68%, focus specifically on them. If there are only 1-2 in this range, you should still be able to get it. Set your newspapers and stations to cater to them. Issue any and all edicts you can to satisfy those specific factions, build things they like, and move your avatar to the palace to make a speech. Build a bank and use the "Bribe Faction Leaders" edict.

If any one faction is below 60%, I suggest you reload an earlier save and make sure that faction is better satisfied within the last year, because it's VERY hard to get 11% worth of respect within a year.

If I can help you by elaborating more on something, post and say so, I'll do the best I can to help.

Edited by Neverender

• 1 month later...

Thanks Neverender. I got Tropican Fiesta last night on 'The Toady' using most of your guidelines. My negative traits were Ugly & Cheapskate.

I did have to reload to an earlier save and focus on building more apartments as my Housing happiness was ~50 by 1990. Once I reloaded, I boosted my wages (could only max at 25) 3 years before the end, did the tax cut, papal visit, & bribed faction leaders. It got to 71% in December of 1989! hah. I was so happy to be done w/ that.

Just 1 more mission - Viva Tropico & the Hostage to have my 1000.

• 6 months later...

OMG! Thank you! Finally got Tropican Fiesta doing your strategy. Tried several times on "Where's the beef" but it wouldn't unlock. Doing your strategy on The Toady I had to go back to save points a couple times but I finally got it working right. Much thanks.

Just 2 more achievements to go. "Curse of the Llama"(Yikes, read about this pain in the ass one) and "Presidente for life" just need 4 more islands to get it.