One With the Shadows Question

bmakar83

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be safe, put 5 points into stealth right away so you can see the enemies status. Get no more than 5 kills in three levels without any enemies being alerted of your presence. It seems that on Hard, even a yellow doesn't cut it they need to remain green to your character (if it's a mission where someone else is making their arrows red, that shouldn't matter).

Some people say they did it with yellows but so far it was only confirmed by someone who played on easy, I did it with greens on Hard and just to be on the safe side, just do it with ensuring everyone has green arrows at all times. I didn't have more than a point or two in stealth, but trust me it will be more helpful if you put at least 5 points into the stealth tree as early as possible so you can ensure you don't alert any guards at all times instead of having to activate that ability.

Alright, I'll have to give it another go with playthrough 2. Thanks for the info.

If I didn't already get the achievement, I would've put 5 stealth points in right away had I known how useful it would've been. Luckily I got it without however I wouldn't recommend it because you may just waste your time. If anyone turns yellow for any reason (being you're the only intruder) then reload. So save frequently using multiple slots just in case and make sure not to kill more than 5 enemies, try not to kill any enemies unless it's the two elites in the airfield if you feel like taking them out early, even if you choose B when sneaking up on them it counts as killing those two enemies).

Also for those missions, carry as many emp's as you can being you shouldn't be needing anything else and also use the stealthiest armor, a silenced pistol, as well as an assault rifle with sub-sonic rounds so that they don't make noise if you do need to use a gun (better than the pistol if you don't have many points in either although there's no instance for any of the "stealth" missions where you HAVE to use weapons, you can just knock people out).

Edited by Ferocious

... So save frequently using multiple slots just in case and make sure not to kill more than 5 enemies, try not to kill any enemies unless it's the two elites in the airfield if you feel like taking them out early, even if you choose B when sneaking up on them it counts as killing those two enemies)...

Actually it only says so in the Mission Debriefing but the actual Enemies Killed figure doesn't take them into account, so its safe to assume that if you just knocked them out, they don't count as kills.

Actually it only says so in the Mission Debriefing but the actual Enemies Killed figure doesn't take them into account, so its safe to assume that if you just knocked them out, they don't count as kills.

My first play-through where I got the achievement it showed 3 kills. The 3 kills were two elite guards that I used (B) for and the gunner. The debriefing showed 3 kills.

My newest play-through, I went through undetected again (I already have the achievement, just figured I'd go for the perk and extra points), I did the same exact thing and it showed only 1 killed, however it stated in the debriefing that I killed them but showed only 1.

The only thing that is different is the difficulty. Originally I played and beat the game on Hard, now I wanted to try something new for my other play-throughs to compare (Hard has such better AI imo, however the ai is suitable for the difficulty level - but it's like that with most games). Not sure if that made a difference or not or the fact that I moved so much quicker through that level by the time Mina was talking to me over the radio I was over there taking them out.

Regardless, to be on the safe side... include them in your numbers because when you do take them out, it specifically says in the words that follow the number stats that you killed his elite guards. It's not only good practice, but it's better to be certain you are within the limit rather than not only to have to reload a save to re-do it all if you have one and feel like it.

I got a question about knocked-out enemies. If another enemy spots their body and runs up to it to investigate (his over-head arrow hanges from green to red, but gets back to green fairly quickly), does that void the achievement?

Edited by Jaskier

Is there a good set of 3 missions to go for this achievement on? I know the CIA safehouse in rome is super simple, but the ones before/after, not so much.

I did the CIA post, the airfield in Saudi Arabia, and the one where you confront Nasri at the end. on that one, if you pick the agressive choice when talking to the guard at the beginning you get sent in and no alarm will be raised like it does if you went the professional route.

couple more tips that might be unnecessary: I got this on my Veteran playthrough since you can start the game with high stealth and pistol stats, so you can see everybody and can do behind-cover critical shots with the pistol. also, I used Silent Walking or whatver it's called whenever I would do a takedown, because then the enemy's gauge didn't turn yellow right as/before I got them from hearing me. basically started from last checkpoint EVERY time I saw a yellow gauge, just to be sure.

Red voids it as you've been spotted. Yellow does not, at least it doesn't in easy.

Ok, thanks, that's actually logical- yellow means "investigating", so the NPC isn't sure what exactly is going on, while red is the alarmed state.

It's a weird achievement for sure. I actually got the achievement at the same time I got my 5 mission perk. However, I perfectly stealthed 4 missions but one of them didn't count as I never got it on the 3rd mission. I never settled for even yellow alert. If it wasn't green, I reloaded. I got it on the CIA mission even tho it bugged out for me and respawned all the bloody guards after I reloaded checkpoint due to a bad hack attempt setting off an alarm. That was fun working my way back down and knocking them all out again lol

There are only 4 missions in the entire game that can be stealthed so that no guard goes red:

Saudi Arabia

- Bug al-Samad airfield

- Intercept Nasri the weapons merchant (difficult)

Taipei

- G22 Warehouse

Rome

- CIA listening post

All other missions have forced combat sequences that void the 'not seen' requirement.

It has been previously... speculated... by some ill-informed poster... (me)... that the Grand Hotel in Taipei is doable as well, but this is incorrect. Steve Heck's distraction at the very beginning of the mission does wreck it, even if you personally are not seen.

I've also heard that the Molo-Tek mission in Moscow is possible, if you make the deal with Surkov so that you don't end up in a fight with Championchik. I haven't tested this myself, but it sounds plausible.

Knockouts by takedowns or tranq bullets don't hurt the '3 kills' requirement, but do not use shock traps. The guard hitting one goes into red before he is knocked out.

Edited by Tom Pladgett
because its good to talk and have your facts straight.

Probably mentioned before: Surely the easiest way to get this achievement is to use the Shadow Operative power when you upgrade your stealth bar

Make sure you have plenty of EMP grenades (saves hacking or unlocking anything). Just activate the power, walk around hide before it fades, wait for power to recharge then repeat.

I managed this without alerting anyone (all green/blue colour arrows), shooting or any takedowns in these missions

Rome

• CIA Listening Post

Taipei

• G22 Warehouse

Moscow

• Monotek (Remember To Agree When You Reach Surkov)

Achievement popped up after the Monotek mission

Edit: Can be done early on in the Saudi Airbase (Planting Bug) or Nasri Mission (Last part deafeating his guards is annoying) but is more difficult as its early on.

Edited by kwokovich

Even though I thought I managed to do the Airfield, Nasri mission, and CIA within all of the requirements, I wasn't able to get the achievement to pop. I noticed after the Airfield mission that Mina said something like there were no disturbances, which I assumed meant that I did that one correctly.

As for the Nasri one, the debrief always says that I infiltrated the perimeter and got past the guards, but that guards eventually became aware of my presence. << I used the Aggressive option to enter without sounding the alarm, and to my knowledge no guards even turned yellow. I ended up with 3 kills in this mission. I am just wondering if what is being said in the debrief is causing me to not meet the req's for this mission? Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

I don't think you can make Nasri's mission count, every time I've bluffed past the guards they eventually called Nasri, figured out I lied, and sounded an alarm. So even if no guards actually came due to the alarm, it doesn't count.

I'm pretty sure there's only one mission per safehouse you can use for this achievement: airfield in saudi arabia, cia in rome, molokov in moscow, and warehouse in taipei.

I don't think you can make Nasri's mission count, every time I've bluffed past the guards they eventually called Nasri, figured out I lied, and sounded an alarm. So even if no guards actually came due to the alarm, it doesn't count.

I'm pretty sure there's only one mission per safehouse you can use for this achievement: airfield in saudi arabia, cia in rome, molokov in moscow, and warehouse in taipei.

Actually, you can get past them without them set off an alarm. Depends on what option you choose. Agressive works better than Professional.

the Nasri mission works. when talking to the guards, suave makes you try to kill the 3 guards before the first one reaches the radio (if he gets there the alarm goes off, and it's almost impossible this early in the game to kill the three guards without detection), professional lets you in without a fight but almost immediately sets off the alarm once inside, but agressive lets you inside with no alarm whatsoever. this mission is one of the three I used for the achievement, so I can confirm that it's doable.

edit: beginning aside, this mission IS fairly difficult to stealth especially near the end, but I did it on my Veteran playthrough so my stealth and pistol skills were leveled enough to make things easier.

Edited by ubermensch2007