Fishing Guide

knightdedede

Fishing Guide

By Dedemaru

This guide is to help obtain the Fish of Legend (30:gsicon:) and A Round by the Pond (100:gsicon:) achievements. The Fish of Legend requires you catch the elusive Rhizodont. Read on for more information.

WARNING: Please bare with me while I try to be funny. My sense of humor can be crude and so very lame. Kids, don't read without consulting the negligent parent/relative who bought you this game.

Fish Species

There are 15 types of fish and 5 types of trash. The different types of fish are as follows...

• Shaman Fish
  • Sardine
  • Blow Fish
  • Bream
  • Shark
  • Blue Marlin
  • Dunkleosteus
  • Carp
  • Rainbow Trout
  • Black Bass
  • Giant Catfish
  • Royal Fish
  • Hyneria
  • Sandfish
  • Rhizodont

Nier can also hook the following trash...

• Aqautic Plant
  • Deadwood
  • Rusty Bucket
  • Empty Can
  • Rusted Clump

Locations

The more common fish can really be found anywhere with any bait, but chances are more probable in certain areas with certain bait. The more rare fish almost require the right bait and area.

There are six main fishing holes in the game, all of them being fresh water, aside from the two in Seafront which are salt water. The water/sand holes are as follows...

• Village Pond (Fresh water)
  • Eastern Road Pond (Fresh water)
  • Desert Pier (Fresh water)
  • Desert Sandstorm (Fresh water)
  • Northern Plains River (Fresh water)
  • Seafront Warf (Salt water)
  • Seafront Beach (Salt water)

Note that in the Desert, instead of water, flowing sand is used to catch fish like the Rhizodont, Sand Fish and Hyneria.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Now, for the information you're looking for: locations and proper bait...

Before going out and trying to catch all of these fish, you're gonna wanna get your Fishing Level to 10. This will make things much, much easier on you. You can encounter any fish before ten, but your chances of catching them are slim. To get the ball rolling you're gonna wanna return to the old man who gave you the high-tech fishing rod (For free, wtf?). He'll assign you the "Fisherman's Gambit" quests (I know, Gambit is awesome, isn't he?). These quests will each raise you a fishing level and will require you catch several different fish, thus knocking out 10 of the fish needed. You'll start this quest string after getting the rod, but won't be able to finish until Part II of the game (Part I - 1-5/Part II - 6-10). Therefore, I recommend waiting until later in the game before you start brutally tearing little fish away from their families, leaving them to fend for themselves... you sick bastards.

When casting your rod in the water, keep an eye on your tip (that's what she said). When of the tip of the rod is pulled, that's your que to get ready. Each fish has a certain pattern in which they'll manipulate your rod (she also said that). However, all garbage has the same pattern. That pattern is: slight tug/big tug (1.3!). Use the key below to determine the pattern each fish uses.

Rod Patterns

small tug = 1

another small tug = 2

large tug (pull up here) = 3!

consecutive tugs = 1-1 or 2-2

• SHAMAN FISH (100HP) (nib/nib/TUG)
    The Shaman Fish may very likely be the first fish you catch. Once you get the fishing rod and lure bait from the old man in Seafront, you'll be tasked with catching one of these false messiahs. Shaman's are usually found in Native American tribes. However, Shaman fish can easily be found at Seafront Beach (the really sunny one). Use lure or lugworm to catch this false hope on a rope.
  • SARDINE (200HP) (1.2.3!)
    Another lightweight, this tiny treat resides mainly in the Seafront Wharf. He prefers relaxing, eating plankton or lugworms, and just LOVES having his mouth ripped open and living in the open air, where he's just oh so excited to die.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 1]
  • BLOW FISH (500HP) (1.2.3!)
    This fish has been the poster child for Jenny Craig, however the fact that she always gains back the weight she loses has caused doubts about Jenny's method of weight lose. Now-a-days, blowfish resides in her 3mill. home in Seafront Wharf. In a recent interview with Filetboy magazine, she states that she's living a happy life with her highschool sweetheart, captain of the football team, Shark and has put herself on a strict diet of lugworm, so shark stops cheating on her with skanky, anorexic eels.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 2]
  • RAINBOW TROUT (1,200HP) (1.2.3!)
    Rainbow Trout, the gay pride fish. This fashionable fish can be found in the Northern Plains. The only bait that can't be eaten is Lure. I however, I recommend buying a backup lure in case something were to happen and you lose it (i.e. sell it on accident). The trout won't put up much of a fight, so don't fret over this one.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 3]
  • BREAM (3,000HP) (1-1.2-2.3!)
    Like the fish before it, the Bream doesn't put up much of a fight. He resides at Seafront Beach. Using lure, you might snag some bigger fish earlier than planned, but the odds of catching them are low. For the most part, you'll snag Bream with the lure, so there won't be any trouble finding them.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 4]
  • BLACK BASS (8,000HP) (1.3!)
    Up next, we have the Black Bass. Those groovy gill garnished fish throws his funky parties in your home, Village. I must warn you though, not only is the punch spiked at most of his parties, apparently there is illegal lure being passed around. Keep an eye out for cops when catching these guys.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 5]
  • SAND FISH (15,000HP) (3!)
    A fish that lives in sand? Strange indeed. Obviously, you'll find this freak of nature in the Desert. There is a dock very close to the exit to Eastern Plains. If you've progressed enough to use the fast travel boats, take it to the Desert and you're ready once out of the boat. Once again, lure is your best bet when catching this one.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 6]
  • ROYAL FISH (56,000HP) (1-1.2.3!)
    The Royal Fish is the first rare fish you'll encounter. The FG quests require you catch 3 of these spoiled brats while fishing in Eastern Plains. Purchase some earthworms from the tackle shop on the market road in Seafront. Though this fish is harder to find, you still have a 70% chance of finding it using the combination of the Eastern Plains and earthworms.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 7]
  • BLUE MARLIN (120,000HP) (3!)
    The blue marlin. A beautiful and unique fish. A husky one at that. This guy also resides in the Seafront Wharf. You're gonna need some dough to buy the sardines required to catch him. If you haven't used the seven sardines you caught in the first quest, they'll do fine. However, you're gonna need more for later fish and they can be expensive. You'll have more trouble finding this guy than you will with the Royal Fish, but it still won't take that long.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 8]
  • HYNERIA (270,000HP) (1.2.3!)
    This fish is but a legend to the old man. Make his dreams true by traveling to the Desert dock where you caught your Sand Fish, and catch yourself one of these. This will be the rarest fish you've hunted, so bring a quantity of about 10 to 15 sardines. Once you grab hold on him, don't let him go. He'll put up a fight, but the reward is worth the trouble.
    [The Fisherman's Gambit: Quest 9]

Edited by knightdedede

• DUNKLEOSTEUS (600,000HP) (1.2-2.3!)
    The Dunkleosteus are big on becoming food old men and books. In fact, you only have a 10 percent chance of hooking on. That is, only if you hunt him right. He'll require even more expensive sardines and he only resides in the Seafront Wharf. Good luck with this one.
  • CARP (300HP) (1-1.3!)
    If you've completed all of the Gambit quests, this will be a joke. At somepoint, while you're running around the Village, stop by the lake and throw in some earthworms. You're bound to pull up one of these.
  • GIANT CATFISH (18,000HP) (3!.3!)
    Though not included in the Gambit quests, the Giant Catfish can be caught around level 7. He's a rare type because not only is he one of the few fish that reside in the Eastern Plains, he also prefers carp as bait. There is no real challenge here, and since he has such unique requirements, he won't be a problem finding and hooking.
  • SHARK (10,000HP) (1.3!)
    You'll most likely already have a shark by the time you finish the Gambit quests. While trying to catch the Royal Fish or the Dunk-master, you'll almost certainly pick one of these up. He's no Jaws, so he won't put up a fight. By the time you're level 10, picking up a shark will be so easy you'll be pondering how the hell a fishing rod and your own strength can make him look like a feather. If you don't catch him during the quests, use the combo of Sardines and Seafront Wharf.
  • RHIZODONT (800,000HP) (1-1.2-2.3!)
    Ahh, the fabled Rhizodont. As infamous as his name is stupid. The top dog of fish resides only in the Desert. Visit one of it's two docks and cast your rod. Being the king of the in-game fish, you only have a 10% chance finding him using his requirements. He's jonesing for some Sardines, but if you want to drastically reduce your chances of finding him, use lure. Obviously, he will be the hardest fish to catch. Add on the fact that he's hard to see in the sand and you've got yourself a challenge. However, I feel his difficulty has been a little overrated on these forums. Keep your eyes on the fish and keep your stick on the move and you'll be an achievement richer in no time.

Edited by knightdedede

holy cow...lol. i'll link from my guide after you finish it up, nice work... you should be an English major, I never would have thought someone could take 'fishing' in this game and expand the info on it so much :) :)

fyi - there are 2 different docks to fish at in the desert, although i'm not sure if there's a difference between them.

theres also a couple of dif docks in the seafront area as well. i fished off the one near the boating dock (the one that u can travel on) for about 30 min and all i caught were marlins and sharks with sardines. noticing one near all the other boats i was able to catch a dunk on the first cast. mightve been luck, mightve been the dif dock, not sure.

The guide has been finished. I still want to make some tweaks and adjustments. Any corrections or additions, please reply.

holy cow...lol. i'll link from my guide after you finish it up, nice work... you should be an English major, I never would have thought someone could take 'fishing' in this game and expand the info on it so much :) :)

fyi - there are 2 different docks to fish at in the desert, although i'm not sure if there's a difference between them.

I scored high on my reading and writing portion of the SATS :blunt

theres also a couple of dif docks in the seafront area as well. i fished off the one near the boating dock (the one that u can travel on) for about 30 min and all i caught were marlins and sharks with sardines. noticing one near all the other boats i was able to catch a dunk on the first cast. mightve been luck, mightve been the dif dock, not sure.

The locations are supposed to just be general, not separate docks. I'm hoping that readers will know the difference.

Edited by knightdedede

Great guide! The humor was great too. I got the achievements for fishing last night without the guide but had I waited for fishing until today I would have definitely used this. I'd like to point out a few things that I noticed while fishing.

I caught my Rhizodont while on my quest to catch Hyneria, so you don't actually need to finish the fishing quests to catch it, the quests just make it easier...by far. I also caught my Rhizodont off of the Desert Dock, so I think as long as your fishing with Sardines in the Desert area, you're set.

I caught my three Royal Fish on the Eastern Road using Earthworms. Just another area you could add so if people are having trouble in one area they can look in another.

My final note is that ALL fish have a certain pattern to the way the rod moves, so you can avoid catching junk or fish you don't want to catch by canceling out the fishing action if the rod movements are unfavorable. Sadly, I didn't map the patterns right away until I was farming on the Eastern Road and noticed it, so all I can really say is that while fishing on the Eastern Road there's three possible fish/patterns: No small jerks, just a big jerk is always a Giant Catfish; one small jerk then a big jerk is always a Junk catch; double small jerk, then small jerk, followed by a big jerk is always a Royal Fish. If you were feeling daring you could always try to figure out how the rod moves for each fish in each area, or if I ever get bored with farming Royal Fish I could map them and let you know how each fish moves.

EDIT: Wow, I feel like an idiot, I completely overlooked the numbers behind the main fish to catch in the original post, I figure those are the patterns I was talking about.. Disregard the last part of my comment unless you're looking for a strategy for fishing the Eastern Road.

Edited by GarlandoFoshezy

Thanks for this guide, I've been looking for a good fishing guide since I found out you could fish. I really appreciate the hard work on organizing information for this game. Too bad gamefaqs isn't as helpful at the moment, but I'm sure with some more time there should be a few guides out.

This guide is to help obtain the Fish of Legend (30http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/g-icon.gif) and A Round by the Pond (100http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/g-icon.gif)

I think you've got an extra zero there? Shouldn't A Round by the Pond be 10g?

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide! Just nabbed both achievements this evening. I'd like to augment some things about the guide that I noticed were misleading or a little incorrect:

BREAM - 20 attempts at the beach and no fish. I went to the Seafront Wharf and them all caught in barely 3 minutes.

GIANT CATFISH - The pattern seemed like it was actually just 3!, if you wait for 3! 3!, you lose your bait after the first one.

BLUE MARLIN - You can actually catch these with just the Lure if you want.

RHIZODONT - Nothing wrong here, it's just not nearly as difficult as one would think. Highly recommend to others to finish all the Gambit quests before attempting.

• 4 weeks later...

After completing all of the Fisherman's quests, I caught the Dunkleosteus with a Lure. It is not required to use sardines for this fish. Don't waste your bait! He bit on my fourth cast. Using sardines will take you much longer, because the other fish that bite sardines are large (like the Shark) and take a while to reel in. However, Bream seem to be the only other fish that bite the Lure and once you've maxed out your fishing skill they only take a second to reel in.

• 2 weeks later...
Great guide! Just nabbed both achievements this evening. I'd like to augment some things about the guide that I noticed were misleading or a little incorrect:

BREAM - 20 attempts at the beach and no fish. I went to the Seafront Wharf and them all caught in barely 3 minutes.

I'm going to agree with you on the Bream, 20 odd tries on the beach, and the first try on the wharf landed me one.

Also, there is no such place as the "Eastern Plains", it is the place you can fish on the eastern road that you should go to. And the two achievements are both 10g, not 30 and 100.

Edited by ManBearPig_06

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having a bit of trouble with the fishing in this game.

First though, I would like to say that this is a great guide, and helped me out tremendously finishing all the Gambits and getting most of the fish.

That being said, I am having some issues fishing up the Rhizodont. I am in the Desert, at the Southwest dock, and I am using sardine bait. I just used 25-30 sardines, and caught mostly trash and about 5 or 6 hynerias. Am I doing something wrong here, or do I just need to keep fishing and hope for the best?

Also, just thought I would point out the fact that they made the fishing in this game a bit too hard in some respects. You have to watch the pole the whole time, and even then, its hard to see because its thin. If you have the camera angled wrong, its even harder to see because of the jagged lines and glare from the sun. If only they had included some kind of audio cue along with the visual cue for when to reel in, such as can be found in almost every other game with fishing side-quests in it, this would have been so much easier. Anyway, I am done ranting, so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went and bought more Sardines and caught the Rhizodont on my first cast. Thanks again for the great guide!

Edited by darthmaulian

• 1 month later...

all these fish are highly easy to catch if u finish all the "Fisherman's Gambit " sidequests i hooked the redonkutealdous my first try and it was like maybe a 1 min battle or 2 mins tops

only fish i gotta catch is the legendary fish and im havin a hard time gettin him to show up lol

just caught the Rezhondant took about 10 sardines for him to show up battlle lasted bout a min you'll wanna go to the dock on the worst visible of the 2 docks 1 u can clearly see wat ur doin the other has sand blowing up ur asscrack like a mutha fucker thats the dock u wanna be at but any way " Achievement Unlocked " :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You have to be in part 2 to get the last 4 fishing quests.

Okay, thanks.

Looks like I'm going on with the story then (since I don't want to upgrade weapons or do the farming on this playthrough) (When I play again on easy to get whatever boss timed achievements I missed and the 15 hours one).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Okay, thanks.

Looks like I'm going on with the story then (since I don't want to upgrade weapons or do the farming on this playthrough) (When I play again on easy to get whatever boss timed achievements I missed and the 15 hours one).

just checking but u realize u will have to start a new game for 15 hour achievement? eg. cant beat the game then use new game plus since it carries over your play time. u probably knew this but ya i just saying it since i have to redo the game after i beat it and do the new game plus endings