Achievement Guide & Road Map

litepink

COPYRIGHT/RIGHTS OF USE:

The accounts and descriptions of this guide may not be disseminated without the express written consent of the author of this guide, as well as an administrator of this site. Intended for use on x360a.org only and should not be used elsewhere without permission.

Overview:

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10

-Offline: 10

-Online: 2

-Approximate amount of time to 200:gsicon:: 10 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 Season, 1+ Ranked Matches

-Number of missable achievements: 1, "Tecmo Bowl Champ"

-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: N/A

-Does difficulty affect achievements?: Cannot play as All-Star Teams

-Glitchy achievements: N/A

-Unobtainable achievements: N/A

-Extra equipment needed?: A secondary storage device, like a USB flash drive or memory card is recommended, but not needed.

Introduction:

Tecmo Bowl Throwback is a nearly identical to the SNES classic Tecmo Super Bowl. The players and teams have changed but their numbers and stats remain. Winning a ranked match by 18 should be your only troubles. The top players make getting the rest of the achievements gravy.

Step #1: Season

Pick a strong offensive team, since most of the achievements are based around offense. I suggest San Francisco as they have an awesome WR/QB tandem. You have 16 games in the regular season, as well as 3-4 playoff games. During one game, only pick running plays, and win. You will likely get 100+ yards rushing. Another, concentrate on passing to one single WR. This will net you 300 yards passing and 150 yards receiving. After getting these tasks down, try for your 60 yard field goal. Obviously, you will complete a pass, net a 20 yard rush, and get a sack within a 20 game season. Once you have everything done that you want to accomplish, run the clock out as much as possible while still ensuring you win.

Make it to the playoffs, then win all your playoff games to be the Tecmo Champ. Quitting, going to the dashboard, even powering off WILL NOT WORK if you are losing. You must win your games to proceed. Your only other option would be to backup your save on a memory card, and play off the memory card if you happen to lose.

Step #2: Tie up loose ends

If there is something you missed in the Season mode, than get them done afterwards in a Preseason game. San Francisco has the best QB and WR, Detroit has the best RB, Kansas City has the best kicker, and Atlanta has the best return man. Use these teams to help clean up, and play against New England.

Step #3: Ranked matches

All you need to do is win one ranked game, and win one by 18+ points. So, you could get this done in one game. Pick a strong team that appeals to your strengths and tastes and score often. If you have troubles, try to find a match with a friend to boost these.

Conclusion:

Super easy 200. You could get 175 :gsicon: in an hour or two. Season mode will take you around 10 hours to complete 20 games.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-7h1vA==.jpg One the spot 15:gsicon: Complete a pass (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Choose a passing play, and after the ball is hiked, press :abut: to cycle between receivers, then press :bbut: to pass to the open receiver to complete a pass.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-OB9VQ==.jpg Can't catch me! 15:gsicon: Gain 20 yards with a running play (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Choose a running play and avoid and break tackles to gain 20 yards. #20 of Detroit is one of the best and fastest players to get big yardage. Play against New England, one of the weakest defenses.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-QCFxg==.jpg Blind Sided 15:gsicon: Sack the opponent's Quarterback (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Choosing defensive coverage in Tecmo Bowl is simply trying to guess what play the opponent will pick. If the CPU picks a pass play, and you pick that exact pass play, your defense will gain a huge advantage and be able to break the line easily to sack the QB before he even throws it.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-HmEmg==.jpg Tecmo Bowl Champ 25:gsicon: Win a single player competition Season

Season mode consists of 16 regular season games, as well as 3-4 playoff games. win your division or a wild card spot to make the playoffs. Win all the playoff games to become the Tecmo Bowl Champ. Make sure to choose a "Competition" season as opposed to a "Casual" season. If you lose in the playoffs or don't make it there, YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER. This is very important. Quitting to the dashboard or powering off will not work. If you have a memory card, you can back up your save file and reloading from the start of the playoffs should you lose. Otherwise, any form of quitting will be recognized as a forfeit.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-eZg7g==.jpg When pigs fly 15:gsicon: QB passes for more than 300 yards during a match (manual, computer opponent, no All Stars)

San Francisco has a great QB and WR combination (#8 and #80), which leads to great passing games. Choose strictly passing plays until you net 300 yards. To make this real easy, play a preseason game and set your game time to 15 min. quarters. Play against New England, and you will reach 300 yards well before halftime even.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-AaYfQ==.jpg Razzle dazzle 15:gsicon: Same RB runs for more than 100 yards during a match (manual, computer opponent, no All Stars)

Detroit has the highest rated RB (#20). Choose strictly running plays until you net 100 yards. Again, play to make it easy choose a preseason game, 15 min. quarters, against New England.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-sF04A==.jpg Better to receive... 15:gsicon: Same WR catches for more than 150 yards during a match (manual, computer opponent, no All Stars)

While going for "When pigs fly" you can achieve this if you concentrate on a single WR.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/+DuX8A==.jpg Who's next? 15:gsicon: Win a ranked online match

Pick the strongest team, or the team the appeals to your strengths (running, passing, etc.). Also you can attempt to boost with a friend if you can find them in a ranked match. Find boosting partners in the Achievement Trading Thread..

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/+dtvYw==.jpg Complete domination 20:gsicon: Win a ranked online match by 18 points or more

Pick the strongest team, or the team the appeals to your strengths (running, passing, etc.), and don't let up on your opponent. You can set the quarters to longer if you like, but your opponent may get bored and quit on you so be careful. Also you can attempt to boost with a friend if you can find them in a ranked match. Find boosting partners in the Achievement Trading Thread.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/+UKWrA==.jpg Return to Sender 20:gsicon: Score a Touchdown on a kickoff return (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Play as Atlanta. The return man #21 is super fast and can evade tackles with his speed. Set up a preseason game against New England. Either let the other team score so they then kickoff to you, or win the coin toss in the beginning and try to return in on the first kickoff. The opposing players sort of "lock-on" to you, so try to lead them into your team's blockers. If you can make it past the initial line of players, they will be playing check up to you, and they will catch up. Run in a zig-zag pattern to evade their tackles. Follow the method in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMU6KzLSzU]YouTube- Tecmo Super Bowl Highlights[/ame]

If you lose the coin toss in the beginning you could always quit and start again to guarantee you start as the return team or if you fail in your return attempt.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-Zl8CQ==.jpg QBs are overrated 15:gsicon: Win a match without using passing plays (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Pick a strong running team and play against New England in a preseason game. You can change the quarter length if you like.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1325/-yGMcw==.jpg It's good! 15:gsicon: Make a 60 yard field goal (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

The Kansas City kicker #8 has the highest rated kicking power and accuracy. Choose a run play and get tackled in the center of the field on or before the opponents 43 yard line. A kick from the 43 yard line will actually be a 60 yard attempt. The ball gets hiked 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the end zone is 10 yards long, thus adding 17 yards to any attempt. Being as close as you can to center of the field makes it easier. Once you hike the ball an arrow will scroll up and down. Press :abut: to stop it as close to center as possible to kick it straight. The power on field goals is automatic, only need to aim the kick.

Edited by litepink

FAQ

Q: Why couldn't they just have real players and real teams?

A: Electronic Arts owns the rights to making NFL games, and has exclusive rights to the NFLPA players. Any new game that comes out cannot have real NFL teams or players unless the game is published by Electronic Arts, they are bound by an exclusive deal.

Q: Do the player stats reflect current or former NFL players?

A: Yes, former players. The stats for each player is the same as they were in the 1993 Tecmo Super Bowl for the SNES. The teams and players are different, but their numbers at stats are the same. For a complete list of stats, here is a roster chart of ALL the players and all of their stats: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588774/41237.*

*Note this is not my roster chart. It was published on gamefaqs and I am merely linking there. It is for the 1993 Tecmo Super Bowl so the team names and player's names are different.

Q: Who are the best players?

A: The achievement guide will assist you with what players are best for certain achievements. Otherwise, click on the gamefaqs link provided above.

Q: If I am losing can I just quit or power off?

A: As stated several times, NO, you can't. The game will automatically set the score to 0-6 forfeit if you do so (and not in your favor)

Q: If I am winning (or winning by 18) in an online ranked match, do I get the achievements should my opponent or boosting partner quit?

A: No, however, Tecmo has stated that they will do something about people who quit in an upcoming patch. It is unknown whether this will effect achievements.

More FAQs to come...

Edited by litepink

<http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1325/+UKWrA==.jpg Return to Sender 20http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/g-icon.gif Score a Touchdown on a kickoff return (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Play as Atlanta. The return man #21 is super fast and can evade tackles with his speed. If you lose the coin toss in the beginning you could always quit and start again to guarantee you start as the return team or if you fail in your attempt.>

Regarding this one, it says on a "kick off return." Doesn't have to be the opening kick off from what I gather.

<http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1325/+UKWrA==.jpg Return to Sender 20http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/g-icon.gif Score a Touchdown on a kickoff return (computer opponent, no All-Star teams)

Play as Atlanta. The return man #21 is super fast and can evade tackles with his speed. If you lose the coin toss in the beginning you could always quit and start again to guarantee you start as the return team or if you fail in your attempt.>

Regarding this one, it says on a "kick off return." Doesn't have to be the opening kick off from what I gather.

Well it would be much easier to just restart an try again than to intentionally allow the other team to score so that you can get another kick off.

I'll mention something in regards to "any kickoff". I was aiming for the "quickest way to get the achievement", but I don't want to throw people off into thinking it has to be on the opening kickoff.

Just a note on winning the competition season. I was losing in whatever they call the NFC Championship game, I hit the guide button, then Y to go to the dashboard, but when I came back the team I was playing had beaten me 0-6 (the default score if you quit out of a game), then gone on to win the championship (f you New Orleans!!!).

So perhaps if you're losing you actually have to hit the power button on your machine instead?

Now to go back through and do the season with a team that's actually good (Sorry Chicago, we just weren't good in the early 90s)

Same thing happened to me.

Dashboarding = Loss

Quit To Main Menu = Loss

Shutting Of 360 = Loss

The only possible thing i could think of is copying ur save data to a USB Device or Memory Card. That way if ur losing u can still quit. But reload ur save

Same thing happened to me.

Dashboarding = Loss

Quit To Main Menu = Loss

Shutting Of 360 = Loss

The only possible thing i could think of is copying ur save data to a USB Device or Memory Card. That way if ur losing u can still quit. But reload ur save

you're having troubles? i think this game is really easy.

not trying to be a dick, at all, just surprised that you aren't cruising through this game.

not trying to be a dick, at all, just surprised that you aren't cruising through this game.

I think it depends on the team. I was playing with Chicago, who doesn't have a very potent offense, and if you get behind early by a random fumble deep in your own zone, it's tough to come back. I'm playing with Dallas now and putting up a shit load of points, so I don't think I'll struggle this time around.

I'm also playing mind games with myself because I'm trying to remember back to who was good on Tecmo Super Bowl (NES), and whether or not that this is the game the rosters are based off of, or if it's the '93 SNES version, which I never played.

Oh im not having any troubles either. Im already at the playoffs no problem. I was just correcting/adding to the guide

Need to scratch the idea that Detroit is a good team to pick. Barry Sanders just doesn't seem as dominatnt as I remembered, and the rest of the offense is lackluster, plus Barry Sanders (Craig Pickens or whatever his name is now in this game) got injured TWICE already in 12 games. Makes it tough to win.

Yea, I'm disappointed that some of my favorite bits from the NES Tecmo Super Bowl aren't in this game, like the ability to fade to the back-upper corner of an endzone with Jim Kelly and throw a 120-yard bomb to Andre Reed :) I keep trying long passes with Dallas in my current competition season, but apparently Aikman's arm just doesn't have it 17 years later...

I just made a copy of my save, quit after starting the game and erased the save that I used. Then reloaded the other save after copying it again so I always have a backup. This works. Confirmed...

Nice ! Holy crap something I thought off actually worked. Haha thats awesome, but this should be def be added to the guide

Well it would be much easier to just restart an try again than to intentionally allow the other team to score so that you can get another kick off.

You said also that 21 for atlanta is good. (deon) and he his, but if this isn't working do what i did.

Preseason. Pittsburg (rod woodson) is return man. Vs. New england. Use a zig zag motion 1 1/2 to 2 seconds diagonally to build up speed + he can break a tackle if need be due to being strong. (juss tap A)

Worked my second try. If you don't get the coin toss or comp isn't kicking just quit and start up again right away.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just played all the way through my season with 2 losses only to be snubbed by houston in the Tecmo Championship thanx completely in part to this games garbage defense AI and the fact that you CANT FUCKING SWITCH PLAYERS AFTER THE SNAP!!!!! Worst AI ever in a game, hands down. Ball carrier will be running directly at my defenders just for them to stare at them while he enters a cheat code and speeds downfield. Go ahead, defend it because you had fun 20 years ago, i did too, but this crap isn't tolerable anymore, ESPECIALLY since they "re-did" it....

Had to vent but seriously... you say you can use a memory card to backup your save, can you also use a usb drive? you can use em now for saves since the last update...

Edited by Fox Hound JD

Any secondary save device. If you lose on one, load the other up, like time traveling. That's what I had to do in my first season (not my second, was able to win without it).

Tecmo redid nothing, however. They added optional 3D graphics, and online play. I studied up on the game prior to release and knew that it was going to be the exact game from 1993, flaws and all. The game is a classic. The fact that the online is broken is a shame however.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
yeah but HOW do you save on the other device? You have your hard drive, your M whatever and I have a usb drive, how do I make another save from my same season on another device????
Plug in a USB drive, then go to the memory section and "copy" your Tecmo save from the hard drive to your USB drive, then if you happen to lose, "copy" the old save from USB drive back to hard drive and rinse repeat untill you win.