Sniping Help Needed

So with MP driving me insane with all the glitches and noob tubers and campers, I have decided to try and learn to snipe.

The set-up I started is:

Barrett .50 (silenced)

Spas (silenced)

Claymore

Smoke Grenades

Scavenger

Cold Blooded

Ninja

I know we have alot of very good snipers on the site and I'm curious to hear what set-ups you use and any advice you might have.

Think this post is dumb? feel free to flame on here as well.

Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm..so the silencer takes away from damage.

Also would it matter if I started playing more Hardcore? Or does it still take away from the power?

Doesn't take away from the damage, but the range.

Hardcore is basically a 1 hit kill with any sniper rifle.

I'm pretty sure you can still silence your intervention, if you bling it and use FMJ/Silencer, however don't quote me on that.

Another thing, if you are looking for 1 hit kills don't let the barett fool you. It isn't always a 1 hit kill.

Edited by JoshYo 16

So with MP driving me insane with all the glitches and noob tubers and campers, I have decided to try and learn to snipe.

The set-up I started is:

Barrett .50 (silenced)

Spas (silenced)

Claymore

Smoke Grenades

Scavenger

Cold Blooded

Ninja

I know we have alot of very good snipers on the site and I'm curious to hear what set-ups you use and any advice you might have.

Thanks!

All I have to say is if you use Silencer + Cold Blooded for Softcore.. You're going to get angry real fast.. ;)

Doesn't take away from the damage, but the range.

Hardcore is basically a 1 hit kill with any sniper rifle.

I'm pretty sure you can still silence your intervention, if you bling it and use FMJ/Silencer, however don't quote me on that.

Another thing, if you are looking for 1 hit kills don't let the barett fool you. It isn't always a 1 hit kill.

Ignore the bolded parts. Using a Silencer does in fact reduce the damage of a sniper rifle. In fact in non-hardcore it makes it literally impossible to get a one-hit kill unless you combo it with Stopping Power, even with a headshot. Sniper rifles do not experience a damage drop off over distance, all other guns except LMG's do.

FMJ doesn't add any damage to any gun whatsoever. All it does is reduce the penalty accrued when firing through a surface. It's not a bad attachment, just don't slap it on there thinking it will act as a substitute for Stopping Power. I personally use FMJ on my sniper class, but that's just a personal preference.

Your class setup looks pretty good for hardscoping. I personally don't like smoke grenades, but hey, to each his own.

Edited by Atroxx70

I believe the above poster is incorrect (Sorry, took some time to write, ment JoshYo) about the silencer not decreasing damage. I have heard that snipers have a standard 70 damage, with a silencer 50. SP multiplies with 1.4 and the barret and intervention have different body multipliers than the other snipers. I believe headshot is 1.5, upper body something similar (?), stomach area 1.1.

I'm sorry if any of this data is incorrect, but this could show some of the damage (and how useless a silencer is, can not OHK without stopping power, even in the head).

Ignore the bolded parts. Using a Silencer does in fact reduce the damage of a sniper rifle. In fact in non-hardcore it makes it literally impossible to get a one-hit kill unless you combo it with Stopping Power, even with a headshot. Sniper rifles do not experience a damage drop off over distance, all other guns except LMG's do.

FMJ doesn't add any damage to any gun whatsoever. All it does is reduce the penalty accrued when firing through a surface. I personally use FMJ on my sniper class, but that's just a personal preference.

Your class setup looks pretty good for hardscoping. I personally don't like smoke grenades, but hey, to each his own.

Sorry but this is wrong. If you are not shooting through a wall, you do infact, do more damage.

As for the silenced sniper rifle crap I dunno, never used a silencer with one.

The set-up I started is:

Barrett .50 (silenced)

Spas (silenced)

Claymore

Smoke Grenades

Scavenger

Cold Blooded

Ninja

Thanks!

Alright. Phew. Here we go.

Barrett:

I personally prefer the Intervention. You might like the Barrett better, but you should at least give the Intervention a shot. Anyways, I would highly recommend not using a silencer. I, personally, always use FMJ, because the occasional shot through a wall is needed. And, besides, no other attachments seem that useful.

Spas-12:

The Spas-12 is a great gun, but I would not recommend it for sniping. When you are sniping, and someone comes up close range, it takes farrr to long to pull out a shotgun. I would recommend using either the USP.45 or M9 with the attachment of your choice. (Not Akimbo unless using Steady Aim) Or, if you don't like either of those, the Raffica w/ FMJ works well too. Just experiment. Oh, and I would never recommend using the SPAS with a Silencer. The reduction on the range is ridiculous.

Claymore:

Good choice. I would recommend either this or a Throwing Knife. The latter being good for killing easy targets without revealing your position.

Smoke Grenades:

Good choice if your using thermal. Otherwise, I would recommend stuns. But, I use stuns on everything, so that might just be me.

Scavenger:

Rule numbah 1 of sniping- ALWAYS use Sleight of Hand Pro.

If you're not aware, Sleight of Hand Pro lets you aim down the scope faster. This is crucial in all aspects of sniping. That extra second or two will save you many, many times.

Cold-Blooded:

Like said above, the Silencer/Cold-Blooded class works for Hardcore, but not for regular gametypes. I would use Stopping Power.

Ninja:

Make sure you have Ninja Pro if you're going to use it. Plain Ninja is helpful, but doesn't do you much good when you're sniping. If you don't have Pro yet, use Steady Aim Pro.

Overall, if you're just looking learn to snipe well, play an objective gametype and protect whatever needs protecting. If you're looking to learn how to Quick-Scope, play Free for all until you get the hang of it.

Feel free to ask any questions :D

If you are correct, than I see many coincidences. Any time I use barret/fmj I always one hit.

An unsilenced, non-Stopping Powered up Barret will always one shot kill to the head and chest assuming Pain Killer isn't involved. In fact, the only spot you can hit them and not OHK is to the limbs or crotch. Stopping power makes that crotch shot a killshot also. The Intervention has the exact same damage and multiplier stats as the Barret. FMJ is simply Deep Impact from MW1 as an attachment instead of a perk, adding no additional damage, merely reducing the penalty from surfaces.

Source: http://www.hostanypic.com/out.php/i2353_v1chart.swf

This chart shows all the damage numbers pulled directly from the game files of the PC version. Whenever you see anyone on the net spouting out gun stats, this is the chart they got their numbers from. It shows base bullet damage, plus all the different multipliers that are factored into every shot. The only thing it doesn't show is that each player, in non-hardcore mode, has a base of 100 health and Stopping Power adds another 1.5x damage after all other modifiers.

Slightly off-topic, this chart also proves why the WA2000 receives absolutely no benefit from Stopping Power.

Edited by Atroxx70

Alright. Phew. Here we go.

Barrett:

I personally prefer the Intervention. You might like the Barrett better, but you should at least give the Intervention a shot. Anyways, I would highly recommend not using a silencer. I, personally, always use FMJ, because the occasional shot through a wall is needed. And, besides, no other attachments seem that useful.

Spas-12:

The Spas-12 is a great gun, but I would not recommend it for sniping. When you are sniping, and someone comes up close range, it takes farrr to long to pull out a shotgun. I would recommend using either the USP.45 or M9 with the attachment of your choice. (Not Akimbo unless using Steady Aim) Or, if you don't like either of those, the Raffica w/ FMJ works well too. Just experiment. Oh, and I would never recommend using the SPAS with a Silencer. The reduction on the range is ridiculous.

Claymore:

Good choice. I would recommend either this or a Throwing Knife. The latter being good for killing easy targets without revealing your position.

Smoke Grenades:

Good choice if your using thermal. Otherwise, I would recommend stuns. But, I use stuns on everything, so that might just be me.

Scavenger:

Rule numbah 1 of sniping- ALWAYS use Sleight of Hand Pro.

If you're not aware, Sleight of Hand Pro lets you aim down the scope faster. This is crucial in all aspects of sniping. That extra second or two will save you many, many times.

Cold-Blooded:

Like said above, the Silencer/Cold-Blooded class works for Hardcore, but not for regular gametypes. I would use Stopping Power.

Ninja:

Make sure you have Ninja Pro if you're going to use it. Plain Ninja is helpful, but doesn't do you much good when you're sniping. If you don't have Pro yet, use Steady Aim Pro.

Overall, if you're just looking learn to snipe well, play an objective gametype and protect whatever needs protecting. If you're looking to learn how to Quick-Scope, play Free for all until you get the hang of it.

Feel free to ask any questions :D

This was very useful.

You sir are awesome!

Edited by Carmona

On a side note, are you more interested in quickscoping or hardscoping? If quickscoping, send me a friend invite, I'm trying to learn it myself and I would enjoy some practice against a fellow quickscoping newbie.

I am more interested in finding a spot and sniping using the scope.

So I think I want to hardscope.

BTW you are on my friends list from AVP. I'll be down to play some private matches and practice.

I am more interested in finding a spot and sniping using the scope.

So I think I want to hardscope.

BTW you are on my friends list from AVP. I'll be down to play some private matches and practice.

Haha yeah about that......

I cleared out my friends list a week or so back. Nothing personal, I just cleared off everyone I didn't know irl. If it makes you feel any better, I really did consider leaving you on there. Send me another request if you want to, ball's in your court :)

An unsilenced, non-Stopping Powered up Barret will always one shot kill to the head and chest assuming Pain Killer isn't involved. In fact, the only spot you can hit them and not OHK is to the limbs or crotch. Stopping power makes that crotch shot a killshot also. The Intervention has the exact same damage and multiplier stats as the Barret. FMJ is simply Deep Impact from MW1 as an attachment instead of a perk, adding no additional damage, merely reducing the penalty from surfaces.

Not saying you are wrong about the FMJ, coincidences are possible, but with stopping power I have noticed that with the barrett, it sometimes takes me two shots. I swear, try it out. I know for a fact they were shots to the chest, the only way I'm wrong on this is if the bullet really takes as long on your screen to reach your opponent. I am sure it's doesn't.

Also, aren't you the guy that was flaming me about my opinions on quick scoping? If you are, than how can you act like you know it all about quick scoping when infact, you say you are a newb at it?

If you aren't that person, then, my apologies.

Edited by JoshYo 16

Not saying you are wrong about the FMJ, coincidences are possible, but with stopping power I have noticed that with the barrett, it sometimes takes me two shots. I swear, try it out.

Also, aren't you the guy that was flaming me about my opinions on quick scoping? If you are, than how can you act like you know it all about quick scoping when infact, you say you are a newb at it?

If you aren't that person, then, my apologies.

Ok, I really don't want this to spill over into another thread. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I will say this. I never once said I "knew it all" when it comes to quickscoping. I know the basics of it, and I've tried it enough to know that it's just simply not as easy as you act like it is. I am a fan of quickscoping, and I have massive respect for people who can do it well and do it consistently. That in no way makes me an expert on the subject and I never claimed to be one.

/subject

Ok, I really don't want this to spill over into another thread. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I will say this. I never once said I "knew it all" when it comes to quickscoping. I know the basics of it, and I've tried it enough to know that it's just simply not as easy as you act like it is. I am a fan of quickscoping, and I have massive respect for people who can do it well and do it consistently. That in no way makes me an expert on the subject and I never claimed to be one.

/subject

This guy has a rod up his rear end so don't bother.

he strikes me as the type who sleeps whit one of those pajama hats.

All he wants to do is nick pick everyone into a argument so just ignore him.

This guy has a rod up his rear end so don't bother.

he strikes me as the type who sleeps whit one of those pajama hats.

All he wants to do is nick pick everyone into a argument so just ignore him.

Yeah I saw where he was arguing with you at the same time as me in separate threads. I just figure he's sitting at work or home or something and bored so he started fanning some flames. No big deal *shrug*