Does anyone else find this game strangely... appealing?

Sgt Scyther

you're not alone -- i really, really dig this game. it's like a bizarre proto-Alan Wake with a shitload of Twin Peaks fanservice. it's flawed and has limited appeal to be sure, however, the scope and ambition of the game alone put it well above a 2 on any quasi-objective scale. the exploration and interaction with the town and the townspeople, and all the quirky little touches in between are ace and give the game a ton of charm, even if the mechanics are kind of jank. localization and music are also pretty damn good, given the budget

at $20, i think it's definitely worth giving a shot in whatever way you can, because if it clicks with you, it is utterly engrossing. and if worse comes to worst, hey, you potentially supported a good effort from a struggling publisher, go you

i totally agree. as bad as the sound is most of the time and mechanics at times, it keeps me entertained. The voice overs are better than a lot of games, and the personalities of the characters are humorously odd and intriguing. At first some of the dialogue just seemed obsurd but any more it really has an eccentric appeal to it.

Even the constant intentional references(and yes at times blatant rip-offs,) of other games and films, start to become something more humorous than an act of laziness.

I love the survival horror genre, and i gotta say that i already enjoy this game more than SH: Homecoming. For all its faults it really isn't a bad game at all. And for $20 i really you can't complain much.

I also love how the game never really takes itself seriously. Like, it feels like it's self-aware of "Yeah, we know this game is pretty bad and looks pretty bad. But let's have some fun with it, okay?" And Agent York is the best, especially when he does things like bring up film references for no reason (when I bought this game the last thing I thought I'd hear brought up was Breakfast Club), how he smiles at the camera, and how he can casually bring up a murderer who used the skulls of women as a urine cup and a guy that raped 800 women as a pleasant dinner conversation. I'm also finding myself really getting into the story.

An article I found on Destructoid summed it up best:

"Deadly Premonition. Either you "get it," like us, or you're a normal human being and will never be able to comprehend what makes it so entertaining."
Edited by Sgt Scyther

I agree, I like it too. It really ain't that bad, I've played worse. :woop: I've heard alot of people bad mouthing this game. $20 alone is a deal. The ones that complain are the achievement whores that want the chieves like now. So what, you got to play it tech. 3x but hey you can't say you don't get your moneys worth. Yes, wackness of dialect is cheesy but still a damn cool game.

I mean come on SAW 60$ game and I beat it in a day, good thing I rented it or I'd been pissed. So 2 thumbs up from Sgt x ScarecroW

I hope they come out with another one.:drunk

I enjoy playing low-budget games. There a sort of charm that can get me through the game, sometimes more satisfied than a game of exceptionally higher production value (i.e. Too Human, Wet, etc).

I have to sit down with a buddy and actively mock it. Makes every bad game a masterpiece.

I don't know what it is, but I find myself enjoying this game. It has many, many, many problems but I just love it. The cheesy music, the awkward cutscenes, and Agent York himself is awesome.

There's just something... magical about it.

"F...K. The coffee never fails."

Dude believe me you are not alone. This is honestly probably one of the best budget titles I've ever bought. Its so bat shit crazy that I cant help but enjoy the hell out of it. I mean come on, when in the hell was the last time you bought a $20 game that last for litterally almost 20 hours, had a crazy ass story with crazy ass characters and felt that it was so bad its good? This thing is a beautiful train wreck if there ever was one. Best $20 I've spent all year.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is so strange. It's like playing a B movie, but the weirdness of York, the Twin Peaks-esque world, and the randomness of the side quests make this game really fun for me.

It's so good and so bad at the same time and it is too bad most people will never even hear about this game.

As a fun side note, one of my friends keep mocking Zach and will occasionally talk like York just for laughs.

Being a member of this forum with a 50K+ GamerScore, it won't come as a surprise to anyone that I'm a big achievement whore. I have 1Ked some horrible games in my time, like My Horse & Me 2, Hanna Montana, and worst of all, Darkest Of Days. Me and my roomies have suffered through things like Vampire Rain. In short, I feel like I know "bad" games...

This is a great game!

As others have mentioned, it seems like this is the game equivalent of a self-aware B movie, where like the people making it are aware right from the start that this is gonna be a terrible movie, so rather than be serious, they just say "lets have fun with this and make some ridiculous". I believe the B movie comparison works really well, especially in how this game is received. People who generally don't like this sort of thing will watch a terrible movie like Evil Dead 2 and say "Oh my god, this movie has a completely preposterous plot, incredibly cheesy special effects, totally corny and LOL-inducing dialogue, and totally fails to be scary. What a piece of crap!" Then there are people like me and my friends, who watch Evil Dead 2 and say "Oh my god, this movie has a completely preposterous plot, incredibly cheesy special effects, totally corny and LOL-inducing dialogue, and totally fails to be scary. Totally Awesome!" Deadly Premonition is pretty much the same phenomenon only in video game form.

In trying to explain why this is a "great" game, I kinda had to deconstruct why I love B movies. I think, when you boil it down, its the urge to root for the underdog. The people who made this game actually had a lot of good, original ideas. Once you start getting more deeply into this game, it becomes clear that their ambitions far outstretched their budget. But, did they let that stop them from doing some crazy, original work? No! As the goofy whistling song played and Agent York revealed himself to be both totally crazy and totally lovable, I realized this was a game I could get behind.

This game is not for everyone. The pacing is honestly pretty slow compared to most games that are out these days. Its full of dialogue, much of it silly. With like 50 side missions and 64 collectible cards, this is NOT a fast & easy 1K. Thats what got me here to start with. I came for the achievements. I stayed because this game drew me in and kept me playing. I think I'm on like Chapter 14 or so, so I may not have hit the "this game tanks in the second half" part, I dunno. If you're a fan of cheesy stuff, bad acting, random crazy humor, and are OK with the concept that "bad graphics doesn't mean its not fun", then you should definitely give this game a try.

I don't think the game tanked at the second half at all, really. If anything it drew me in the further I got. I loved this game and I think it has real potential to become a cult classic. It was hilariously awkward, super cheesy, never took itself too seriously, the characters were all great, and at the same time the plot was really interesting and drew me in.

In any other game the final boss would have been absurd but in a game that's already as absurd as this, it kind of fit right in.

In any other game the final boss would have been absurd but in a game that's already as absurd as this, it kind of fit right in.

The final boss wasn't absurd. George going all DBZ was the absurd part!

However, this game should be a lesson to all demons to not create voodoo doll-esque squeaky toys of themselves, lest they be a weak point that will foil their plans.

Anyone who plays this for 15 - 20 minutes will conclude the game is shit.

Thats a shame because it's actually a really good game. and the graphics do grow on you. They dont look too bad now considering the detail they have put into the world its pretty good.

I dig the whole time thing to do your missions, it reminds me of dead rising.

They shouldnt have started the game in the forrest it looks so bad at the start. it will be very tough for a regular gamer to play this for more than 15 minutes without taking the game out and putting in battlefield or some other new game that has just been released.

Oh and I did something in this game which I dont usually do. I did a whole bunch of extra side missions not associated with any achievement! wow! thats the first time in 2 years ive done something not for an achievement!! Doing the side missions are fun and they dont ever expire - as you can go back and replay any mission you want.

So there you go. it's a good game.

Edited by aussiestatic

I wholeheartedly agree with you, at least that people will draw conclusions way too fast. Although there are some aspects of the game that could use major help, like having 3 mandatory (to get all the achievements) playthroughs and aiming/minor gameplay aspects, in particular; there's a lot of good here - especially for a budget title. If the game were regular price, I'd say there's stuff to complain about - but for the sheer amount of stuff they put into the game, they did an awesome job.

I usually enjoy games like this (lower budget, under the radar) and was glad to see this one didn't disappoint.

I'm still early in, and have heard the ending kind of brings things down, but even for the first chapter + side quests this game is definitely worth my 20 bucks. Isn't that right Zach?