What a fun game, until the insane levels start

soliunasm

Bought this game on a whim, and was enjoying it. Then, the game just decided to get crazy hard out of nowhere. The end of F3A(Zen Attractors)[F3A3] and F3C(Epicycles)[F3C2] have got to be the hardest levels I have ever seen.

Let's start with F3A3, you have to make your blob bigger with the least amount of force used. Alright, that doesn't seem too hard, until you realize that the blobs you can grab are like a mile away, and you can't use more than a few pushes. So help you God if you mess up.

F3C2 is even worse. It's do-able, but will take thousands of tries because of the very random line that decides when it wants to make your path a survivable path, and not one that flings you into the death wall.

Then the developers have the audacity to call these levels "Like boss fights". No, I'm sorry, but S3O3 was a boss fight, these are nonsensical levels that are more difficult than they should be.

Edited by soliunasm

I just picked up this game and am still early in it. I am already getting frustrated. I got to one where I have to absorb 3 things. You have to be quick to build up before the other 3 absorb so much that I can't catch up. Then they are quick to get away and I waste 60% of my mass chasing them.

It's a brilliant idea for a game, but I see it getting damn hard.

edit: I should probably add that I cleared the level with the 3 dudes before I started this post. It just took like 10 attempts.

Edited by Hoffer

I just picked up this game and am still early in it. I am already getting frustrated. I got to one where I have to absorb 3 things. You have to be quick to build up before the other 3 absorb so much that I can't catch up. Then they are quick to get away and I waste 60% of my mass chasing them.

It's a brilliant idea for a game, but I see it getting damn hard.

edit: I should probably add that I cleared the level with the 3 dudes before I started this post. It just took like 10 attempts.

All the levels up until the one I mentioned are easy. It's the boss battle(S3A3 i think) that was pretty hard, but doable.

The ones I mentioned are just way too difficult, and need to be replaced with better levels. They are nigh impossible without tons of luck.

F3A3 and F3C3 were pretty difficult, but not impossible. I personally found that randomising a level often made it much more difficult.

F3A3 is all about orbit control. You adjust it a tiny bit, let yourself orbit, and as soon as you're within striking distance of your target, you expend the smallest amount to swoop in and suck them up. It goes without saying that you should do this level in slow motion when going in for the kill.

F3C3 was just... mind-blowingly challenging. Whatever you do, DON'T randomise this level! From the start you should stick it in slow motion immediately, and start collecting the larger items orbiting the attractor. You will eventually reach a point in the orbit where you can push yourself off the attractor and wait in its trail for the next attractor to come along. Once again, start off small, eat everything up in order, then head straight for the middle. Start eating as much as you can, get into a stable orbit, then push yourself off toward the second-largest attractor which should be blue and edible by now. If it's not, then head for the smallest attractor. Once you've eaten it, wait for the next attractor to cross your path, then go for the large one in the middle if possible. Finally, make your way to the remaining attractor, eat it up, and BAM! Achievements unlocked. :woop:

They'll take a lot of time and patience, but they're designed to be beaten. Just slow down, relax, take your time, let the orbit take care of your travelling, and you should have a better chance of success.

Just got Ambient Master, Sentient Master and Master of the Deep.

Ambient Forever levels are easy, Sentient Forever aren't easy ... you have to go against 4 of those green blobs that can move super quick, it's very difficult, took me maybe 30 goes!!.

Master of the Deep is an easy achieve too, just play 5 Ambient Forever levels in one area.

Only 2 achieves to go now, Force Forever and the secret one >_<

Okay clearly I suck, as I'm stuck on A20. How the hell do you get through the big blobs without losing so much mass that you can't absorb any of the others?

This game is stupidly hard. The tutorial levels you get to play in the demo are a breeze, you essentially can't fail, then you get the full game and the difficulty spikes dramatically.

For a game that's all about serenity I nearly smashed my keyboard in frustration yesterday.

I think I know what you're talking about; are you referring to the big antimatter blobs? I just beat that obnoxious level yesterday. What you have to do is to propel yourself away from either a regular or antimatter blob that has the opposite type of blob on the other side. The little blobs that you shoot backwards when you move are enough to set the giant blobs in motion, albeit nearly infinitesimally. Then stop yourself and speed up the motion. It takes a minute, but just sit there while the 2 large blobs cancel themselves out - if not completely, then at least enough that you can get by to another blob that is of consumable size. Hopefully this response wasn't as super-confusing as it felt like while I was typing it.

I think you mean the levels where all the blobs are stationary when you start.

Like the above said, fire blobs at them to get them moving into bigger blobs so they get absorbed and become smaller and then wait until they're absorbable (blue tinge around them) and steal it off the bigger blob.

Don't try and squeeze through the gaps just work your way up from smallest to biggest, shrinking them and stealing them. It's all about patience.

Started the Force forever levels, done 3 F2Forever and 1 F1Forever level so far, havn't even tried the stupid epicentre ones yet >_<

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Eddy from Hemisphere Games here. I've just started a series of posts on our blog, lovingly entitled "Osmos Rage", in part inspired by this forum thread. (You may even find yourself quoted on there.) It's all about the difficulty in Osmos and will go through explanations, advice, and even a chance for revenge in the form of a video contest! ;-)

Parts 1 and 2 are up already.

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/...lcome-to-hell/

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/...h-and-revenge/

I'll post parts 3 and 4 in the next couple of days.

Also, my apologies for not posting these sooner. I *meant* to publish them with the release of the difficulty update, but... life got busy for me recently. Her name is Elena and she's now three weeks old. (Proud papa http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/v4_images/smilies/smile.gif) http://www.hemispheregames.com/blog/...0/01/elena.jpg

Cheers!

Eddy

Hey Everyone,

Eddy from Hemisphere Games here. I've just started a series of posts on our blog, lovingly entitled "Osmos Rage", in part inspired by this forum thread. (You may even find yourself quoted on there.) It's all about the difficulty in Osmos and will go through explanations, advice, and even a chance for revenge in the form of a video contest! ;-)

Parts 1 and 2 are up already.

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/...lcome-to-hell/

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/...h-and-revenge/

I'll post parts 3 and 4 in the next couple of days.

Also, my apologies for not posting these sooner. I *meant* to publish them with the release of the difficulty update, but... life got busy for me recently. Her name is Elena and she's now three weeks old. (Proud papa http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/v4_images/smilies/smile.gif) http://www.hemispheregames.com/blog/...0/01/elena.jpg

Cheers!

Eddy

Thanks Eddy, these should come in useful.

Congratulations on your new daughter as well, you must be so proud :)

-TSG Dwaggie

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hardest thing in this game is not f3c3 lvl, it is extremely hard ofc but not as hard as f4c forever lvls, so i can say this game has 185 attainable gamescore for casual players and 15 points in force forever zone which is really hard to get due to C lvls .. this is such kind of achievment you can be proud of :)

• 2 years later...