Fix: Portal medals and adv. maps reset

Zurbum

It happened the 2nd time.

After spending days on those maps, all 12 gold medals and all advanced maps are gone.... again!!!! :(

I have found this on Steam:

This issue occurs specifically when you do the following:

1. Beat an advanced map.
  2. Load up another advanced map, and save the game.
  3. Quit the game.
  4. Start up again, and load your save without looking at the new game menu.
  5. Beat the advanced map you loaded.

To resolve this issue:

1. Start the game, open the new game menu.
  2. Select an advanced chamber (any one) and complete it.

With all medals gone, I was able to do some testing.

First I needed to complete Chamber 19 again, so I unlocked advanced maps. Then I started a time challenge game and saved. Then I exited Portal and started it again. Loaded last save and completed the challenge. Bang, advanced maps are gone. Then wondering if to be happy or to cry. ;)

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

This is great to know because mine resets all the time and I finally quit trying after about the 10th time. The only time I really got mad was the first time because I had like 12 of them completed, the rest of the times I sat and did like 2 of the really easy portal ones. I have to keep this in mined when I retry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ya, this didn't work for me whatsoever. I had unlocked 13 out of 18 gold (including chamber 16 least time) and was working on the last 5 least step chambers when the fucking thing reset on me. Tried the method the OP posted and nothing. Now I have fucking one. I gotta say, when it comes to console games, Valve really shits the bed I'm sorry to say.

Does anyone else have any alternative methods of trying to get these back? Or am I just screwed and have to unlock everyone of them again?

Edit: Went back today and played 4 straight hours on gold challenges. Finally unlocked Apeture Science a couple minutes ago. I'm glad I got the achievement, but my God, the crap you have to go through to get it. It also made my console freeze about 5-6 times during this 4 hour period. Definitely not ever buying anything from Valve again.

Edited by Death Metal Jim

• 5 months later...

So this has happened to me twice now and I'm getting slightly steamed. Is the key that you need to look at the new games menu before you reload? Here's what I did last time it reset:

1. Got to the end of TestChamber 15, right before the elevator, and saved.

2. Quit

3. Rentered the game and loaded a save that I had in TestChamber 19, near the end of the boss right.

4. Quit

5. Rentered the game and loaded my save on TestChamber 15.

6. Entered the elevator to finish the level.

7. Returned to the main menu to discover my medals had reset.

Do I need to be looking at the new game menu before Step #5? Does someone have the perfect combination of steps that allows you to use the cheats AND avoid the reset bug? Thanks for your help. I'm going to wait on a reply before I start this whole process from square one again.

So this has happened to me twice now and I'm getting slightly steamed. Is the key that you need to look at the new games menu before you reload? Here's what I did last time it reset:

1. Got to the end of TestChamber 15, right before the elevator, and saved.

2. Quit

3. Rentered the game and loaded a save that I had in TestChamber 19, near the end of the boss right.

4. Quit

5. Rentered the game and loaded my save on TestChamber 15.

6. Entered the elevator to finish the level.

7. Returned to the main menu to discover my medals had reset.

Do I need to be looking at the new game menu before Step #5? Does someone have the perfect combination of steps that allows you to use the cheats AND avoid the reset bug? Thanks for your help. I'm going to wait on a reply before I start this whole process from square one again.

Your steps makes no sense to me. Why would you do such thing? If you are at the end of the level, why do you load an other instead finishing the one you're on?

All this is about one thing: if you want to load a save from any level (i.e - because you got tired yesterday and saved and quit, OR you're trying to cheat) you have to choose new game - select a chamber - start it, THEN load game - select the save you want - load.

That is what I did and it did not resetted on me once.

Once again:

1. you want to load a mid-game save (could be anywhere on the level)

2. choose new game

3. select level (any)

4. start it

5. choose load

6. select desired save

7. load it

Probably this is only needed for the first time when you start up the game. To be on the safe side, do it before every load.

If you wanna experiment, try only doing it the first time you start up the game, and share your results with us.

I had a similar problem when I first started playing the advanced maps, apparently my issue was that I was not saving after beating each map.

the problem is they don't make it blatantly obvious that you need too save in fact the only way you can is by starting another map and simply saving at the beginning so you can just reload it and go to new game too select what you actually want too play.

when I first played this I was under the impression that it auto saved for you when you beat a level...

• 6 months later...