Weapons Guide

Fully Avenged

Thanks to CovertDog for the sticky. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome one and all.

This Thread is now as extensive as I can think of making it for the moment, but I have enjoyed writing this guide, and I would be more than willing to expand this, so please, if there's something you can think of that I should include, or something you would like to see featured, let me know!

I appreciate all opinions on this guide. I apologise if it's slightly... shabby. This is the first guide I've properly written for this website, and as such, it may not be to the highest standard possible, which is why I'd like your help to improve it wherever possible!

Thanks to all, and enjoy. :)

~~~~~~~

If you wish to find something quickly within this Thread, and can't be bothered to scroll, this should help you out a little. Simply hold down 'Ctrl' and press 'F' to bring up the search function, then type in '1.2' for example, to skip to that section. This persists for all parts of this Thread. Should you wish to find a particular effect for a weapon, or a specific proficiency for a certain weapon, just type in what you're looking for, and if it's in this Thread, it should pop up. :) :

1.1 - Introduction.

1.2 - Different types of weapons. [Also includes which characters specilise in which weapons.]

1.3 - Proficiencies.

1.4 - Rarity.

1.5 - Elements.

1.6 - Weapon makes and specifics.

1.7 - Special Effects [Red Texts] for Unique Weapons [e.g. 'The Legend Lives', etc] and what they do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within the realms of Borderlands, there is a great variety of weaponry. When Gearbox announced the game at E3, they estimated there are over 17,750,000 different variations of weapons, as of release.

Now, with all these weapons at your disposal, things can get a little... Confusing, to say the least. You've got elements, you've got different makes, and lets not forget, you've also got different rarities of weapons. In this guide, I hope to make understanding how weapons work that much easier, so lets get started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall, there are 8 types of different weapons, and each different weapon has it's own Proficiency [Explained more below.]. Listed next is every type of weapon, along with whom specilises in each specific weapon:

• Revolvers - Mordecai

• Sniper Rifles - Mordecai

• Shotguns - Roland, Brick

• Combat Rifles - Roland

• Rocket Launchers - Brick

• Alien Weapons - N/A

• Submachine Guns - N/A [Lilith, possibly?]

• Repeaters - Mordecai

The Siren's "Mind Tricks" (last skill, left tree) is a game-breaking ability that excels when high fire rate weapons are used. SMGs, Repeaters, and Shotguns. (With the shotgun, each pellet counts as a possible trigger for this skill.) Sirens also get class mods that boost SMG damage. It would be fair to say Sirens could be listed as best with the SMG, and perhaps the repeater. ~ Thanks to G315T for this information. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proficiency is a measure of how good a specific player is with one of the above eight weapons, through proficiencies, characters can become advanced in weapons that they wouldn't normally specificy in [For example, Mordecai may become particularly good at using Launchers or Shotguns, irrespective of the fact he doesn't actually specify in these weapons.]

Many people believe that Proficiency raises when you get a kill with the certain weapon type. This isn't strictly true. It's more so that it raises when you get experience while wielding that certain weapon, for example, playing a multi-player game, if a character who's just began playing is wielding a Sniper Rifle, and he's playing with three level 50's, regardless of whether that player attacks or not, when the level 50 kills an enemy, the new character's Sniper proficiency will raise. In this respect, the way people boost their levels will also work for proficiency.

Proficiency Levels

All proficiencies go from level 1-50, much like a character's overall level. When the levels raise, the weapons "Damage", "Reload Speed" and "Accuracy" increase. [Apart from Sniper Rifle, in which Accuracy is replaced by Stability, and Reload Speed is replaced by Rate of Fire, and Eridian Weapons, where the Reload Speed is instead replaced with Cooldown Rate]. Different weapons raise in different intervals, shown below, alongside the levels they start and stop raising, and the max they can go to. Please note, some weapons don't raise between specific levels. For example, a Pistol's Damage stays the same between level 27 - 29, but then raises at 30. As such, the percentage increases below are an average increase per level:

Pistol

Damage: Levels 3 - 50. +3% each time, up to a max of +48%

Reload Speed: Levels 1 - 50. +6% each time, up to a max of +102%

Accuracy: Levels 2 - 50. +9% each time, up to a max of +153%

Submachine Gun

Same as Pistol.

Shotgun

Same as Pistol, apart from Accuracy only goes to a max of 102% rather than 153%, assumably due to the wide-spread nature of a Shotgun in the first place.

Assault Rifles

Same as Pistol.

Sniper Rifle

Damage: Levels 3 - 50, +3% each time, up to a max of +48%

Rate of Fire: Levels 1 - 50, +6% each time, up to a max of +102%

Stability: Levels 2 - 50, +12% each time, up to a max of +204%

Rocket Launcher

Same as Pistol.

Eridian / Alien Weapons

Same as pistol.

So as you can see, by raising the Proficiencies of your weapons by a considerable amount, you can make your weapons practically unstoppable. Take for example some of the stronger Eridian weapons. They have unlimited ammunition, and they're very powerful, their only issue is their cooldown rate. But with a proficiency of 50, they reload at double the speed they normally would, making the weapon basically an all-round winner.

Continued Below.

Edited by Fully Avenged

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every item in Borderlands has a specific rarity assigned to it. This can be anything from weapons, to grenade mods, to shields, but we'll focus mainly on weapons in this section. These are indicated by a specific colour in game. The rarities run in an order like this:

White < Green < Blue < Purple < Light Orange < Orange < Dark Orange

White is the most common, and you're likely to find these more often than you'll find any other type of weapon, however, you may notice that as you level, you begin finding a lot of green, blues and purples, however, it's very unlikely you'll find any oranges, and if you do find yourself with a Dark Orange, you should consider yourself quite lucky.

Things that can increase the chances of you finding rarer items include:

• Being higher level.

• Playing with more people.

• Being on your second playthrough.

• Having player(s) with Skills that make finding rarer items easier.

So, ideally, you'd be playing with three other level 50's, being level 50 yourself, on your second playthrough, and all of you have a skill that helps finding rarer items more possible.

Please note, that, as a general rule, the rarity of a gun gives an indication of how strong it is. However, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, you might find a rare purple gun, that is considerably weaker than a common gun because the common gun has some nifty effects on it.

There is also some debate as to whether or not "Pearlescent" is an actual rarity. These are white weapons that sit above orange weapons in the rarity order. Many believe that these weapons are actually just glitched Oranges. However, this has neither been confirmed nor denied by Gearbox, and as such, is an ongoing debate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Certain weapons have specific elements attached to them, and most elements have benefits and negatives against different types of enemies. Each elemental weapon you find will have a specific multiplier next to it, running from "x1" to "x4", and this informs the user of the amount of damage the weapon will cause. The chance of an elemental effect taking hold depends on the level between your player and the level of the enemy. Also, very occasionally, a weapon will have 'High elemental effect chance' written next to it, informing it has a higher than normal chance of taking hold.

Listed below are the four different elements, their positives and negatives, and a brief description of their animation. [in that order.]:

Shock: Depletes shields quite quickly, but is less useful against flesh and/or armour than a normal weapon without shock would be. [For example, Skags, etc.]. Lightning arcs up and down the enemy, eventually melting skin, and they explode [usually.]

http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbox360/image/article/901/901652/borderlands-20080821004928467_640w.jpg

Corrosive: Has a benefit against armoured enemies, slowly drains their health much like a poison, making them weak to attacks from other weapons / allies. Great for co-op games where two players are attacking the same enemy. Slowly disintergrates the enemy. Enemy makes a lot of noise while dying.

[Don't have a picture for Corrosive atm. If anyone can submit me a picture, it'll be massively appreciated. :)]

Explosive: Rounds fired into enemies have a chance to explode, leading to much more damage, and quite a messy death if the enemies die due to a critical hit.

http://www.incgamers.com/images/screenshots/8440orig.jpg

Fire: Great damage against fleshy enemies but can be offput by armour and shields. Sets the enemy on fire for a short amount of time, causing damage over that time. Similar appearance to the kill as acid, only it's fire doing the job.

http://www.gameon.co.uk/files/images/games/b/Borderlands/standard_Borderlands_E3_Screenshot_4.jpg

Edited by Fully Avenged

Now, when you pick up a weapon, one of the first things you should notice is a big 'manufacturer' sign next to the weapon. When you first start playing, manufacturers may not mean much to you, but when you get higher in level, you'll begin to realise that each manufacturer has it's own little perks, and that each manufacturer specifies in a certain attribute of a weapon. [For example, accuracy, reload speed, etc.]. Listed below is each manufacturer, their specific tilt towards certain attributes, as well as the general colour of the weapon *note: These run in alphabetical order for easy finding*:

Atlas: Generally considered the "best" make. Has all-round good rate of fire, accuracy, power and very low recoil. Quite rare at lower levels but can become more common as you level up. Appears in white.

Dahl: Decent firepower behind these wepons, and a lower recoil than most guns you'll find elsewhere, making it easier to fire for long periods of time, and/or burst fire. Appears generally a dark green colour, often very 'camoflauge' looking. Generally rather small weapons, too.

Eridian: Alien weapons that generally feature high damage and unlimited ammunition. The way Eridian weaponry works is that, after firing 3 - 5 shots, a message pops up telling you the energy has depleted, and that it's recharging. Once recharged, more shots may be fired. However, you needn't wait for it to fully recharge, just enough for one shot to be fired. Appears very 'organic' looking.

Gearbox - Easter egg or joke weapons that have the manufacturer name of Gearbox instead of an actual in-game weapon. Example shown here: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78314&highlight=basement+sniper

Hyperion: Hyperion weapons are relatively rare, much like Atlas. They usually have long range scopes, and are always high accuracy weapons. Can be very useful for weapons such as Revolvers which aren't particularly useful from a fair distance away. Appears as red.

Jakobs: Jakobs are renowned for their high damage. Can be unbelievably powerful when combined with elemental effects and/or proficiencies. Appears as orange.

Maliwan: If you're looking for an elemental weapon, Maliwan is the company for you. This company *only* sell weapons with elements attached to them. Appears as blue, usually looking quite sci-fi, with tubes in the colour of the element attached to the gun.

S&S Munitions: Quite similar to Maliwan, their weapons often feature elemental powers / technicalities [such as a Shotgun firing Rockets.]. Often features extended magazines also. Appears as yellow.

Tediore: Tediore specilises in guns that are quite lightweight, compact and reload faster. Quite common near the beginning of the game. Very rough looking, appears in grey.

Torgue: The best way to look at Torgue is a step down from Atlas. Similarly to Atlas, they're very good all-rounders, but not quite to the par of Atlas. Generally good quality weapons, however. Appear quite similar to Tediore, in a shade of grey.

Vladof: A faster fire rate than most other guns, and often a larger magazine to compensate for it. Good for SMG's as they fire off a lot of rounds quite rapidly. Not many additions to the gun's appearance, and can appear in a blood red / orange colour.

Edited by Fully Avenged

A massive kudos to HopedZERO for this. He gave me the majority of the effects of the weapons while I added in names, locations, etc. so thanks to him for his work alongside me on this. I appreciate it! :)

The Dove

Repeater - The Dove is a reward from Altar Ego: Godless Monsters.

Sometimes, I forget to reload... : Unlimited clip/ammo.

Tediore Bone Shredder

Submachine Gun - The Bone Shredder is dropped by Bone Head during the quest Bone Head's Theft.

A lead wind blows... : Fire two bullets on every shot.

Torgue Gasher

Submachine Gun

Tear it up. : Fires three burst rounds.

Jakobs Skullmasher

Sniper Rifle

Makes their brains hurt. : Fires six bullets on every shot, but only uses one round, much like a Shotgun. Also pushes enemies back.

Dahl Hornet

Pistol

Feel the sting. : Fire two bullets on every shot.

Maliwan Firehawk

Pistol

Bring the HEAT! : x4 fire damage, also has a hidden ability that causes splash damage, so can set multiple enemies on fire at once.

Hyperion Butcher

Shotgun

Ahhh...Fresh Meat : 5-Shot burst, very fast.

Tediore Defender

Shotgun

I can do this all day... : Regenerates bullets while firing. Not overly useful if playing as anyone aside from Roland.

Tediore Equalizer

Revolver

Unending Firepower : Practically the same as above.

Vladof Rebel

Pistol

Never stop shooting! : Gives a much larger magazine size than normal.

Tediore Savior

Submachine Gun

Hallelujah! : Ammunition Regeneration.

Tediore Protector

Pistol

Ammo is no longer an issue. : Same as above.

Vladof Mongol

Rocket Launcher

Beware of the Horde! : Rocket divides into multiple warheads dependant on the distance travelled.

Vladof Hammer

Shotgun

Drop the Hammer! : Spread is in the shape of a hammer.

Tediore Guardian

Combat Rifle

Hold your ground... Forever. : Ammo Regen.

Dahl Raven

Combat Rifle

2 more bullets make all the difference : Fires a 5 Burst shot instead of a 3 Burst.

Torgue Redemption

Rocket Launcher

Monster Kill! : Shoots four rockets at the same time, causing massive blast radius + damage to whatever it hits.

Maliwan HellFire

Submachine Gun

We don't need no water... : Very high fire damage [x4].

T.K.'s Wave

Shotgun - Obtainable early in the game from the quest T.K.'s Life and Limb.

Ride the Wave Dude! : Wave of bouncing bullets.

Aim for the Sniper : Unknown at this time.

I got boohoo : ^ See above.

Walk it off : ^

Whitting's Elephant Gun

Sniper Rifle - This gun is a reward from the quest 'Big Game Hunter' in the Dahl Headlands.

Why don't you go shoot yourself an elephant? : Massive Damage, no scope.

Dahl Anaconda

Revolver

Long and Strong : Increased accuracy and power.

Eridian Blaster

Eridian Weaponry

PEW PEW PEW! : Small Area-of-Effect damage. [Meaning it has a small chance to home in on enemies].

Reaver's Edge

Sniper Rifle - This weapon is obtained for killing Reaver during the 'Two Wrongs Make a Right' quest.

The Cutting Edge : This weapon has numerous effects, including a % chance to ignore shields, a -29% Recoil Reduction, and +150% Critical Damage. Also bears one of the largest scoped zooms of any weapon in the game.

Maliwan Plague

Shotgun

Bring out your Dead. : Huge corrosive damage.

Maliwan Volcano

Sniper Rifle

Pele demands a sacrifice! : Causes huge fire damage [x4] also has a small splash effect which can catch nearby enemies on fire.

Pestilent Defiler

Revolver

Give Sick. : High chance Corrosive damage [x4], effect has a chance to transfer to nearby enemies.

Torgue Cobra

Sniper Rifle

I LIKE IT! : Massive Explosive Damage.

The Blister

Shotgun

It's a painful thing. : Corrosive damage and scope.

The Spy

Sniper Rifle

I spy with my little eye... : Massive Zoom, also seems to home into the nearest target, at the center of their body.

Dahl Wildcat

Submachine Gun

The ultimate close quarters feline. : Extended magazine, potentially with reduced accuracy.

Lady Finger

Pistol - Found during the quest 'Nine-Toes: Take Him Down' from the grave of T.K.'s wife.

Omnia Vincit Amor (Love conquers all) : +100 Critical Hit Damage

Dahl Penetrator

Sniper Rifle

Sniper Killer... Qu'est que c'est : Fully Automatic.

S&S Crux

Shotgun - This weapon is obtained from the quest 'Scavenger: Shotgun', which can be obtained as soon as the player has fixed the Middle of Nowhere Bounty Board.

Cross their heart, hope they die : Bullets fire in a cross shaped spread pattern.

Eridian Thunder Storm

Eridian Weaponry

Lightning Never strikes the same place twice, but it can stike freaking everywhere! : AoE Lightning Effect.

S&S Thanatos

Pistol

Big Tony says "Hi" : Massive Clip

Vladof Revolution

Combat Rifle

Guns of the Revolution will never fall silent! : Massive Clip, seems to have a chance to daze, too.

Dahl Bulldog

Shotgun

One Bad Dog : Massive Clip.

Quite a few seemingly random Shotguns have this effect.

Shotgun(s)

Holy crap it shoot rockets! : Turns each round into a single warhead explosive.

Eridian Lightning

Eridian Weaponry

"I feel like I'm gonna break this thing." : Slows walking/running speed. Fire Lightning.

Hyperion Invader

Sniper Rifle

BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM! : Full clip burst when fired. Only while scoped.

Hyperion Destructor

Combat Rifle

The destructor has come. : Same as above.

Hyperion Invader

Revolver Version

12 Bullets invade your skull. : Full clip burst when fired. Only while scoped.

Sledge's Shotgun

Shotgun - Obtained after killing Sledge during the quest 'Sledge: Battle For The Badlands'

The Legend Lives: Can push enemies back, also has +10,000% burst fire rate.

Maliwan Rhino

Rocket Launcher

The Unstoppable Force! : Rocket explodes periodically in flight before reaching intended target.

Atlas Cyclops

Sniper Rifle

I have you in my eye, sir. : Increased Zoom.

Vladof Surkov

Sniper Rifle

For the Motherland : Rapid Reload.

Leviathan

Rocket Launcher - Can be obtained from the quest 'Wanted: Fresh Fish' which is obtained from the New Haven Bounty Board. Can also be obtained as a random drop.

It rises! : Rockets arc.

Nailer

Sniper Rifle

Thwack! : Higher critical damage.

Hyperion Bitch

Submachine Gun

Smack 'em : Huge critical hit damage.

Jakobs Unforgiven

Revolver

It's a helluva thing... : +200 Critical Hit Damage

Madjack

Revolver

Fools! They Called Me Maaaad!: Bullets zig-zag and ricochet.

S&S Orion

Sniper Rifle

A hunter lives among the stars... : Bullets bounce off walls and split into 3.

The Meat Grinder

Combat Rifle

War is in your blood. : Speed up fire rate after killing someone.

Atlas Patton

Revolver

May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't. : Chance to ignore shields.

Atlas Chimera

Revolver

A beast of many forms - Fire, Lightning, and Poison. : Bullets alternate between the 3 elemental damage types on every shot.

Vladof Vengeance

Pistol

Vengeance is yours. : Chance to ignore shields.

Jakobs Striker

Shotgun

Sniper rifles are for chumps. : High Accuracy.

Torgue Violator

Pistol

Your Move, Creep. : Fires a three burst round.

Torgue B%$£*$D

Combat Rifle

TORGUE! B%$£*$D Guns for B%$£*$D People! : Massive Damage.

Edited by Fully Avenged

Really a very nice guide :)

Some conjecture, take it or leave it:

-On the list of which character uses which guns, you have none listed for the Siren. The Siren's "Mind Tricks" (last skill, left tree) is a game-breaking ability that excels when high fire rate weapons are used. SMGs, Repeaters, and Shotguns. (With the shotgun, each pellet counts as a possible trigger for this skill.) Sirens also get class mods that boost SMG damage. It would be fair to say Sirens could be listed as best with the SMG, and perhaps the repeater. Having elemental effects on Siren weapons of any kind is probably important for any gun, but high fire rate makes better use of them.

-Also on the proficiency list, you list "Revolver" and "Pistol". Should be "Revolver" and "Repeater". They both use "Pistol" proficiency.

-Eridian weapons are trash. Even at double cooldown, they are neither powerful enough or fast enough recharging to compete with similar-level well-put-together greens of any other kind of gun. They also have slow projectiles, and their damage does not trigger Trespass. (I'm sure there are other effects these guns don't trigger, perhaps Mind Ticks.)

Really a very nice guide :)

Some conjecture, take it or leave it:

-On the list of which character uses which guns, you have none listed for the Siren. The Siren's "Mind Tricks" (last skill, left tree) is a game-breaking ability that excels when high fire rate weapons are used. SMGs, Repeaters, and Shotguns. (With the shotgun, each pellet counts as a possible trigger for this skill.) Sirens also get class mods that boost SMG damage. It would be fair to say Sirens could be listed as best with the SMG, and perhaps the repeater. Having elemental effects on Siren weapons of any kind is probably important for any gun, but high fire rate makes better use of them.

-Also on the proficiency list, you list "Revolver" and "Pistol". Should be "Revolver" and "Repeater". They both use "Pistol" proficiency.

-Eridian weapons are trash. Even at double cooldown, they are neither powerful enough or fast enough recharging to compete with similar-level well-put-together greens of any other kind of gun. They also have slow projectiles, and their damage does not trigger Trespass. (I'm sure there are other effects these guns don't trigger, perhaps Mind Ticks.)

Thanks for your input, I'll edit some of my information and give you credit for it. :)

Thanks for saying it's a nice guide too. I appreciate that. :)

In your thing here

• Revolvers - Mordecai

• Combat Rifles - Roland

• Alien Weapons - N/A

• Submachine Guns - N/A [Possibly Roland?]

• Repeaters - N/A [Possibly Mordecai?]

The siren would fall under smgs i guess because she starts out the game with one.

Also.... i think pealescent weapons would fall under the weapon category.

In your thing here

The siren would fall under smgs i guess because she starts out the game with one.

Hey Scrubs, thanks for your input. :)

Both you and G315T mentioned the SMG thing now, so I guess I'll put Siren in there. However, I'd have to disagree with the Pearlescent thing. They're not a type of weapon, they're a rarity, and therefore I wouldn't put them under the weapon category.

Thanks again!

Overall, there are 8 types of different weapons, and each different weapon has it's own Proficiency [Explained more below.]. Listed next is every type of weapon, along with whom specilises in each specific weapon:

• Revolvers - Mordecai

• Combat Rifles - Roland

• Alien Weapons - N/A

• Submachine Guns - Lilith

• Repeaters - N/A [Possibly Mordecai?]

The Siren's "Mind Tricks" (last skill, left tree) is a game-breaking ability that excels when high fire rate weapons are used. SMGs, Repeaters, and Shotguns. (With the shotgun, each pellet counts as a possible trigger for this skill.) Sirens also get class mods that boost SMG damage. It would be fair to say Sirens could be listed as best with the SMG, and perhaps the repeater. ~ Thanks to G315T for this information. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mordecai would also be specailized in Repeaters since both Revolvers and Repeaters are pistol type weapons.

In your thing here

Yeah... no.

Pretty good guide, but are you going to post a real picture of Incendiary weapons or just keep the Fallout 3 laser rifle?

It's a good thread, if I know how to recomend it for a sticky I would.

Why thank you Kage, I appreciate that. :) Hope it helps you. :) Anything you'd recommend me adding?

Fyi, at the top of the Thread, you can give a rating from 1 - 5, if you want you can do that but it's really up to you, I don't mind. :)

Okay, looking at adding in a section about some of the Guaranteed Weapon Drops found within the game, as there are a few...

In New Haven, I found five weapons caches that will respawn every time you exit the game and re-enter. Four on the rooftops and one that a claptrap shows you

In New Haven, I found five weapons caches that will respawn every time you exit the game and re-enter. Four on the rooftops and one that a claptrap shows you

That's the renowned New Haven Weapon Farming spot. Quite a few people have posted the method around the website, so I may look to one of them for one of their guides, but I was more thinking weapons such as 'The Clipper' which Nine-Toes drops, 'Sledge's Shotgun' which Sledge drops, etc.

Fantastic guide.

Learnt heaps of things I didn't know like Weapon Proficiency is the exp you gain when wielding the weapon (I always wondered how I would raise in proficiency in co-op without even shooting nor killing anything).

Thank you.

You're quite welcome Aussie. I thought it was important to put in that fact as a lot of people seem to think you have to go and get Proficiencies by yourself by getting the kills yourself. This isn't true, irrespective of how many bullets you fire at an enemy in Co-op [Or indeed, any at all.] you'll still get the overall Xp you earn from that kill added to your proficiency as well.

It helps a lot when your proficiencies get to around 30ish, because then it begins to get a real pain to boost them up, so playing co-op with a few friends helps them to raise that little bit quicker.