Game of the Month Club?

daishichi

Hi All,

Thought I would feel this idea out here in General...

While this online community is nice to see and super-helpful, many of the groups go months without a new comment or discussion. I'm a 36 year-old guy, and my fiancee does not share my excitement at pending titles like Assassin's Creed 2. I was wishing I had some local, adult buddies to meet with occassionally, to discuss games over a beer and maybe compete a little on achievements.

I used to run a bookstore/cafe where we did a "Book of the Month"; folks would commit to read a particular title and meet to discuss it over coffee.

Now, I realize this would only work in major cities, but I'm in Brooklyn and already in a group of "New York Gamers". I was thinking that, even if it was only 3 or 4 people, it would be nice to meet up once a month at a bar or cafe. We could vote on a new game to buy or rent, and the following month we could swap reviews, trade tips, and pick the next one. Maybe the first player to 1000 (or whoever has the closest to it) gets his beer bought for him next time. I post this here in General because maybe Clubs from different cities can compete a bit.

Just a rough sketch, thought I would guage the response before creating a group that no one would join.

I figured that, if you got 5 or more people, a vote would probably settle it since there will likely only be 2-3 games worth playing coming out that month. If you only get 3 people in a Club, a 3-way tie is likely, in which case you'd pick a title out of a hat or do rock-paper-scissors.

One reason to do this kind of thing is to get people playing games they normally wouldn't...I haven't played a racing game since PS2, never go for sports games, but I would give 'em a shot if my clubmates recommend them.

Hi All,

Thought I would feel this idea out here in General...

While this online community is nice to see and super-helpful, many of the groups go months without a new comment or discussion. I'm a 36 year-old guy, and my fiancee does not share my excitement at pending titles like Assassin's Creed 2. I was wishing I had some local, adult buddies to meet with occassionally, to discuss games over a beer and maybe compete a little on achievements.

I used to run a bookstore/cafe where we did a "Book of the Month"; folks would commit to read a particular title and meet to discuss it over coffee.

Now, I realize this would only work in major cities, but I'm in Brooklyn and already in a group of "New York Gamers". I was thinking that, even if it was only 3 or 4 people, it would be nice to meet up once a month at a bar or cafe. We could vote on a new game to buy or rent, and the following month we could swap reviews, trade tips, and pick the next one. Maybe the first player to 1000 (or whoever has the closest to it) gets his beer bought for him next time. I post this here in General because maybe Clubs from different cities can compete a bit.

Just a rough sketch, thought I would guage the response before creating a group that no one would join.

Come to Moscow and I'll join this =D But seriously, Since it's not in my country I won't be there but it's a really nice idea.

Well, we'd vote on a game about to come out, and commit to playing it competitively/cooperatively.

For instance, if we met today we might choose between Wet and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, both coming out 9/15, and come Tuesday we all buy or rent it. We'd Friend each other on Xbox Live and swap friendly advice (i.e. "How'd you get past that boss?") via messages or a Social Group on this site, and race each other to 1000 gamerscore.

Every now and then we'd realize we picked a loser, but the conversation and competition would help make up for it. At the next meeting, we trade reviews, discuss upcoming games, and each offer up a nominee for the next one.