A few tips for new Phantasy Star II players.

ConfederateSuga

Ok, so I've had to help like 3 of my friends get started with this game, so I figured I'd share the simple pointers I gave them with you all. There are no real spoilers here, so don't worry.

1. When you start the game, you will only have 200 meseta (currency). I recommend stocking up on a few monomates with this money.

2. As soon as you're done getting your first mission briefing, go grind some EXP and meseta! Do this often, as the game will have you constantly needing to upgrade your gear.

3, Take note of your first companion's starting TECH ability. She is able to cast the RES (Resta) spell on you, which has the same healing effect as a monomate.

4. You'll notice that your TP (Tech Points) will drain as you use abilities. The ONLY way to replenish TP is by visiting a clinic.

5. This is THE most helpful tip for new players, in my opinion. Save up enough meseta and buy 2 knives for your main character and 2 steel bars for your first companion. This makes the combat SO much easier and also allows for faster, less stressful grinding. Also, your second companion will start out wielding a gun. The best way to equiip him, however, is the same as your main character. Just buy him 2 knives and you'll be set! If you set up all 3 characters this way, you'll get 6 attacks per turn!

6. As you start playing, you'll notice that your first companion levels up much faster that everyone else. Don't worry. The game was intended to be that way for story purposes.

7. One of the coolest things about the Xbox 360 version of the game is the ability to Pause and Save, so take advantage of it! I recommend saving after every few battles, because you never know when you'll be over-powered by an enemy and rendered unable to run away from battle.

8. Your second companion (Rolf) should be equipped with the Laser Cannon once you can afford it. Why? True, he can do more damage with his knives on little creatures, but that damage is nothing when you consider the damage he can do to the "big" enemies later on in the game. It's annoying when he misses, but he really does make the difference in the later parts of the game.

9. This is from my own playing trial and error. Amy may seem completely useless in battle at first, but her later healing abilities make her THE most important character in the game. She has a resurrection ability that will save you a lot of heartache later on. SO USE HER!

10. Anna. Probably the most under-appreciated of the companions. It's wise to level her up a bit because in certain instances, she does the most damage of all the characters. Her weapons hit every enemy of the same type. So say you're fighting 4-5 of the same enemies. She can actually attack every single one of them, TWICE!

11. Take note that you'll meet a companion named Shir later on. You might've noticed that she's not particularly good in battle. There's a reason for this. She wasn't designed to be a damage dealer. The main benefit to having her is her ability to steal items from shops! Get her to around level 10 and then go to a shop with her. Eventually she will leave your party. Head back to your house in Paseo and she'll rejoin you. Look at her items and you'll notice that she has something that wasn't there before. She won't steal the actual items the store has for sale, but that's a good thing. The best strategy for Shir is to have her steal items from the potion shops. With a little trial and error, you will eventually have a nice stockpile of Star Mists (fully heals your party) and Moon Dews (revives one ally AND sell for 6k apiece).

12. You should do this when all your characters are level 10+, but keep everyone stocked with Dimates. Later in the game you'll want to switch to Trimates, as Dimates just won't do the job anymore.

13. If you are tired of the random enemy encounters and need a little break, or find yourself in a no-win situation (say 2 people are dead and you're in a dungeon with no Escapipes or something), this is for you! If you walk around and keep pressing the X button (the interact button), the random battles with halt. To be safe, you'll want to do this every couple steps, especially if you think you''re screwed! Credit: hunterd999

Edited by ConfederateSuga

Is it just me, or are you not allowed to sell items in the 360 version? Either I'm just missing something, which is entirely possible, or they removed this.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. For new players, you can only sell items at the Item Shop. There is one due east of your house in Paseo.

Edited by Talos26

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Awsome tips, especially the dual wielding tips :)

Is it just me, or are you not allowed to sell items in the 360 version? Either I'm just missing something, which is entirely possible, or they removed this.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. For new players, you can only sell items at the Item Shop. There is one due east of your house in Paseo.

Thanks for this info, was seriously confused on how to sell items.

Edited by cloud7str1fe

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I find Shir being very useful in battle. She has the most agility of all the characters. Thus she will sometimes attack twice, before the enemy can attack - making up for her relatively low damage.

Also, always have Rolf and Rudo stand in the middle (order 1+2). This way they will be attacked the most by a long count. They have the most defense, and you will spare a lot of damage this way.

btw.: I never needed any di or trimates, nor going back to town in the middle of a dungeon till now. I find this game is really easy. Don't understand, why the hint book so religiously repeats to buy dimates^^

Edited by Cringer85

First off, when you start the game, use the 200 to buy steel bars as suggested above. Grind outside of town, using all TP to heal until down to low lvls in HP. then go back to doctor in town to heal up, much cheaper than buying meds. I also suggest upgrading Rolf and rudo to 2 knives each, giving you 6 attacks per round, more than enough to handle just about anything.

As too why the guide book suggests meds, on genesis you couldn't save before battles like the 360 version, so if you died, it was start all over from pre save. Unless you got the save game thing which wasnt available til late in the game.

• 2 months later...

so i know im a bit late on this but could n e one tell me the best weapons for each character(i.e. most damage per turn of character) i know if u dual wield u get 2 attacks per round r the later two handed weapons better then those so ill know when i see them thanks if n e one answers

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Does anyone know if Sega removed the visiphone for this release?

I can't remember how I got it back when this was the best game on the Genesis. I know I can save anywhere without it, I just miss having it.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

R3f1cul: For Rolf, use two knives until you can get the laser sword. For Rudo use two knives until you can get the laser cannon. Pretty much everyone else uses two weapons the entire game until way late in the game you just throw a shield on Amy and use her magic/Storm Gear (an item that casts Gizan on all enemies, not just one group).

*EDIT* Forgot to add giving Kain a gun as well. I usually gave him the Laser Shot until something better came along, but i didn't use him much at all so i didn't bother worrying about his endgame equipment.

Inchoate: I can confirm that Sega did not remove the Visiphone, I've gotten it in this version already.

I don't know if anyone even posts in these PS2 threads anymore but I was browsing and saw questions unanswered and figured I'd help. :D

Edited by ThatGuy113
Added some content and fixed spelling errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Shir steals the visiphone for you once she's leveled high enough to steal. It's not in a shop, you have to go to the Baggage Room in the Control Tower in Paseo.

The Phantasy Star games were my favorites as a kid, with PSI on master system being my first RPG ever... I still have my original cartridges and several re-release versions. I'm debating whether to grab this on XBL tomorrow during the Sega sale... I don't need another version and I've played through it so many times, and I have the Ultimate Genesis Collection - but on the other hand it would be quite fitting to have dedicated Phantasy Star II achievements on my profile. Decisions decisions!

Having never played the game before, I don't know how good a tip this is but I read it over at GameFAQs and have been using it in my game:

Over by Roron (the garbage dump area south of Zema), you'll occasionally find a fight consisting of three Slugmess and two Spitkill- once you can kill these without getting too injured (I'm using them at the moment with Rolf at level 14, you may be able to start earlier), you can abuse the save-anytime system to keep this fight in a loop of only one Slugmess remaining, and spawning more Slugmess. Each spawned Slugmess has its own experience and meseta (231 exp, 218 meseta each), and the spawned Slugmess have less than the normal amount of health if the spawner is already injured so you can kill it in one attack and then wait for another to be spawned: this should be faster grinding than walking around in the stronger areas waiting for random encounters, I can get over 4,000 exp at my current level before Rolf and Nei run out of TP from healing members (though I normally stop at around 3,000 to go buy more armor, I get bored haha :p).

If you're too high a level to benefit from Slugmess abuse you can do the same thing in Climatrol to Blastoids, which give 371 exp and 260 meseta each. It's also worth noting if you're a particularly heavy grinder that there's an exp cap you can get in each fight- the limit is 65,535 exp per fight, so end the match after 175 Blastoids and find another encounter.

To anyone especially new, you need to press the B button during each round of the fighting to turn auto-fight back off so you can control the strategy of each team member. I didn't realise this when I first tried the Slugmess and had terrible results with Nei attacking them after using a healing spell, don't let them fight automatically unless you want to waste time reloading your save.

Edited by Didi Mau