Bunny Racing Guide

Preparation

To unlock the bunny races you need to perform a series of quests that are only available after you finish the Purgatorium. Use the quest guide located HERE to complete the "Where's the Receptionist?", "Sore Throat Soother", and "Listless Bunny" quests. If you don't have a Stamina Pie for the "Listless Bunny" quest there is a recipe below.

Now that you have your bunny you're going to want to beef up his stats. The only way to do so is to feed him either a Stamina Pie, a Speed Pie, an Acceleration Pie, or a Miracle Pie. Each of the pies brings its respective stat up by 3 points and the Miracle Pie brings a random stat up by 3. The stats max out at 200 points. Personally I opted to max out all three stats, it's easy enough to do so but does require anywhere from 5 to 10 trips from Tatroi to the Calnus and back.

To unlock the recipes you will need you should raise Reimi's cooking skill to level 10 and Bacchus' engineering skill to level 10. Put Reimi in an invention group with Sarah and she will unlock the recipes for the four pies. Put Bacchus in an invention group with Sarah and Edge and he will unlock Li'l Vending Machine No. 2 which gives you easy access to pie crusts, something you will use hundreds of.

Li'l Vending Machine No 2 is made from Micro Circuit x2, Iron x4, Scrambling Unit x1, and Universal Device x2. Micro Circuits are available from Li'l Vending Machine No. 1 if you have it or Flaming Fist Explosives on En II. Universal Devices are also available at Flaming Fist Explosives. Iron is available from Mobius's One-Stop Shop in Astral City. Scrambling Units are a low-level engineering recipe but if you don't have the materials the units are also available at Flaming Fist Explosives.

All four pies use two pie crusts. In addition the Stamina Pie uses Raw Animal Meat x2, Speed Pie uses Lemon x1 and Fresh Cream x1, Acceleration Pie uses Sweet Fruit x3, and Miracle Pie uses 1 each of Common Egg, Vegetables, and Rich Cheese. Pie Crusts and Fresh Cream are available from Li'l Vending Machine No. 2. Roomy Foods in Tatroi sells Rich Cheese, Raw Animal Meat, Common Egg, and Vegetables. If Ruddle has opened his shop in Tatroi you can buy Sweet Fruit from him (he'll open after you complete many quests: "New Life New Clothes," "Mapless Traveler," "Ruddle Strikes Again," "Desert Dilemma," and "Sand Bird Strikes Back.," he opens up across from the southernmost store in Tatroi). Lemons can be harvested from harvesting points between the Calnus and Tatroi.

Now just max out the ingredients you can buy in town, run to your ship (harvesting whatever lemons you can get on the way), buy pie crusts, and create all the pies you can. You'll have to buy pie crusts 3 or 4 times each creation session but with Li'l Vendor 2 it's not a long walk. Run back to town and feed the pies to the bunny. When a stat maxes out the Miracle Pies will only count towards the remaining stats so getting to 200 is faster than you would think.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Races

There are three separate race classes (5, 20, and 100). Class 100 is what you need to win in order to unlock the achievements but I'd recommend doing a race on class 5 first just to get a feel for how the bunny works. One thing to point out is that each race will cost you fight coins (again, 5, 20, and 100) so you MUST do some colosseum battles first so you can even sign up for a race, and if you lose a Class 100 race (if you place below 2nd) you will lose 100 fight coins. That's not a big deal once you've won a few races but the coins are harder to get from the battles.

During the race the bunny steers himself so all you can do is a dash and a jump. The dash is a standard dash move, it makes the bunny go faster for about 3 hops. The jump is an attack move, the bunny will slam on the ground and vibrate the entire track, any bunny on the ground will be stunned (keep in mind the bunnies hop so they spend a lot of time in the air and most attacks will not hit all the bunnies).

I used the dash move about every 2 hops. It's just often enough so the bunny doesn't slow down but will last just to the end of the race if you've maxed out your stamina. Be careful if your stamina bar is really close to empty because if it empties completely you will be stunned for a few seconds.

The jump move should be used defensively only. If you attempt to use it offensively not only will it make you stop completely but there's a chance that it will miss your target and they will gain a huge distance while you sit there. To use it defensively all you need to do is jump whenever another bunny jumps. You'll be in the air when the track is pounded and often will stun the original jumper or other bunnies the first pound may have missed. The bunnies will make a boing noise when they jump so just hit the button when you hear the noise. If you are too far from the jumper there will be no noise but if you watch the rank icons on the left side the picture will flash when a bunny is jumping. That's your cue to jump. You cannot jump if you are under the bridge but this won't come into play very often.

Following those two pieces of advice (dash every two hops and only jump defensively) I only lost 4 races when I went for the 100. The process is long (it will take around 3-4 hours just to do the races) and it is boring but you will make 30,000 fight coins in the process (you make a profit of 300 for every class 100 race you place first, you earn 100 if you place second) so you can buy the weapons in the colosseum for the weapon data achievement as well. Also bunny races are a great resource for monster jewels, every two races you can buy 3 of them.

Great guide but I have a quick question.

You say that the best time to do this is after you've been to En II because you can make li'l vending machine 2 right? But after you get to that point you no longer have the ability to use the Calnus and you use the teleporter instead. This is a little annoying because it makes you swap disks when going from the Calnus to tatroi and back again. Did I miss something? Was there a time when I could have used the Calnus after En II? I haven't finished the final dungeon so I guess it's possible that you get to control it again but that seems unlikely.

Thanks.

You say that the best time to do this is after you've been to En II because you can make li'l vending machine 2 right? But after you get to that point you no longer have the ability to use the Calnus and you use the teleporter instead. This is a little annoying because it makes you swap disks when going from the Calnus to tatroi and back again. Did I miss something? Was there a time when I could have used the Calnus after En II? I haven't finished the final dungeon so I guess it's possible that you get to control it again but that seems unlikely.

Hrm? I didn't say that. I did the bunny races right after getting Sarah. Once she's in your party you can make the vending machine and turn right around and fly to Roak. Also the Miga Insect Warren is between Roak and En II so you do have plenty of time. Sadly at this point you'll have to switch discs, I didn't know that's how the endgame worked when I typed the guide though.

What's the quickest way to earn coins? Do you earn more coins if you win the bunny race?

If you mean, "quicker to earn points via bunny races or via arenas," then it depends on how well you're doing the bunny races, I imagine.

Going for the weapons data, getting the "50x class 100 wins" and the "100x class 100 wins" achievements give you more than enough coins to pick up at least one of every weapon - and then some left over!

If that's the only thing you're going for, coin-wise, then I'm pretty sure I had enough at the first 50 races / wins, but still had another 50 to go. (That also said, you make a profit of 300 coins for 1st place, and a profit of 100 coins for 2nd place - anything else is zip.)

(That also said, you make a profit of 300 coins for 1st place, and a profit of 100 coins for 2nd place - anything else is zip.)

That's what I was looking for! I just didn't want to be doing arena matches over and over to earn the 100 coins for every race. But so long as I keep winning races it's all good.

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't tried the racing yet, but I'm maxed out on bunny stats and haven't even been back to Aeos yet (went to Lemuris first). It only took me 4 trips though, so I think that estimate of 5 - 10 is a little high. You can get 20 speed and 20 miracle pies every trip if you do it right, the lemons can be harvested just using the two harvest point in behind the Calnus and repeatedly entering and exiting the ship, and sometimes you'll luck out and get that extra item produced as well.

You know, I gotta say dude, if you only lost 4 then you lucked out. I'm 30 - 9 so far. I'm constantly having stuff happen like getting started on the outside and stuck in the back after the first turn, and my bunny follows directly behind another one so he can't get through. Or my bunny refusing to not use the outside lane for corners even if he started in lane 2. Or getting jumped while under the bridge. Or my defensive jumps only letting the immune to jumps white bunny catch up or get farther ahead...

I fucking hate that white bunny man. Everytime I fucking jump he never gets fucking stunned. It's bullshit, he doesn't even do a defensive jump he's just hopping around and somehow every god damn time he's in the air when I land.

Argh.

Weird. I had the same issue when I did my bunny racing - the white bunny gets stunned the least. It was always the white or blue bunny that ended up in 2nd place, usually the white one.