I got my Key to the City prize!

GuruAskew

They're coming via UPS from New York.

Here are the pics:

The box and its contents. The 360 controller is for scale:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/GuruAskew/P1030175.jpg

Sorry about the terrible photography. The enclosed card says "with compliments" in the cursive type that a classy game where you can kill prostitutes deserves. Beneath that is the Rockstar logo and their New York address.

The key in the case:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/GuruAskew/P1030176.jpg

Just like we imagined it.

The key in hand (literally):

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/GuruAskew/P1030177.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're coming via UPS from New York.

Here are the pics:

The box and its contents. The 360 controller is for scale:

Sorry about the terrible photography. The enclosed card says "with compliments" in the cursive type that a classy game where you can kill prostitutes deserves. Beneath that is the Rockstar logo and their New York address.

The key in the case:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/GuruAskew/P1030176.jpg

Just like we imagined it.

The key in hand (literally):

Dude thats awesome. I'm angry I got the game the day after the contest closed :mad:. Dam censorship laws! :(

I've seen a lot of people who have seen this and wondered if they can get it too.

Unfortunately if you're only hearing about it now it's too late.

It was easy to win. You just needed to sign up for the Rockstar Social Club, which would track your progress, and get 100% during the first week of the game's release. They were very clear that your results had to be visible on the website itself by the end of that contestperiod, which right there disqualifies anyone who may have hit 100% without being signed up to the Social Club or without connecting to the internet.

The contest was extended by a couple weeks when the Social Club was having problems. For example, you can look at my Xbox Live gamertag (it's the same as my ID here) and see that I hit 100% on 5/5 but the Social Club says I hit it on 5/6 (and to be honest Xbox Live is much more reliable) but I may have been disqualified based on the original date (it would have been debatable as midnight between 5/5 and 5/6 was exactly 1 week, the limits of the contest, and by Xbox Live time I was comfortably under the original deadline) but when they extended it I didn't have anything to worry about.

In any case, you had to hit 100% within the first 3 (I think? I did it in 1) weeks of the game's release, you needed to sign up to the Rockstar Social Club to have your stats tracked and being connected to Xbox Live or the PSN during that time is obviously necessary for your stats to be tracked as well.

If you met these requirements you got an email on August 1 with a form for you to print out and sign. You were then required to send this signed form to Rockstar by means of fax, scan/email or snail mail. You had 1 week from when you got the email to do this.

Furthermore, there were several US states and international countries that were not eligible for prizes.

So basically, this contest was entirely free, you just had to play the game and send in a form. I actually paid like $3 to fax my forms in at Kinko's and those who mailed it obviously paid postage but if you had a scanner you didn't have to pay anything. In that respect it was cool, and I have no complaints because I got my key, but it seemed like they did everything they could to minimize the amount of keys they actually gave out. You had a limited window of opportunity to be eligible for the prize, you had a limited window of opportunity to claim your prize and even then there were a bunch of other small issues that could trip you up and make you not eligible.

So basically, if you got one, great. If not, it's too late. On one hand it doesn't bother me when other people have something I have but on the other hand it does make it more of a cool or special thing when it's something only a few people (relatively speaking) got.

How are you going to sue Rockstar for breach of contract when the only people who signed anything were the winners and they posted several eligibility rules on their website? All that standard legalese about not being obligated to give anyone anything is right there in black and white.

Furthermore, as I pointed out in another thread: you have a guide about changing your regional settings to circumvent international licensing restrictions. The downside to this is that you were likely showing as a resident of an ineligible country during the contest period. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you met these requirements you got an email on August 1 with a form for you to print out and sign. You were then required to send this signed form to Rockstar by means of fax, scan/email or snail mail. You had 1 week from when you got the email to do this.

So basically, this contest was entirely free, you just had to play the game and send in a form. I actually paid like $3 to fax my forms in at Kinko's and those who mailed it obviously paid postage but if you had a scanner you didn't have to pay anything.

Luckily, about a year ago or so I found a printer on clearance for $20 that has a built in scanner. I just printed off the form from the website link, filled it out, scanned it, and emailed the jpgs.

I had completely forgotten about it, because I didn't get any confirmation that they received it, and it was a damn long time ago. Then I just came home from work and damn near tripped over the box sitting on my front porch.

Furthermore, as I pointed out in another thread: you have a guide about changing your regional settings to circumvent international licensing restrictions. The downside to this is that you were likely showing as a resident of an ineligible country during the contest period. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I am on Rockstar's leaderboard for completing it in time.

And I played on my British account, my main, duh?

Epic fail to say the least.

I am on Rockstar's leaderboard for completing it in time.

And I played on my British account, my main, duh?

Epic fail to say the least.

Epic fail? Says the guy who didn't get a key.

Basically you have your word that you were playing on a British account vs. the fact that you posted a guide about how you could change it. There was obviously an issue there because you didn't meet the eligibility requirements. The fact that you're sitting here crying about how you didn't get your key speaks volumes.

Now I'm gonna go snuggle my key and thank God, Buddha, Voodoo Man etc. that I didn't need to resort to a lawsuit to get it.

Just got mine from UPS 5 mins ago. Thing rocks. I honestly didn't think I was gonna get it, since they never confirmed that I was a winner after filling out that paper work.

is it for everybody or is there a limit on how many ppl can get it, cuz i wana get 1 also

You had to sign up for the site and complete the game, 100%, within 2 weeks of release of the game. I did it in 8 days. Then they figured out who won and made the keys, exactly as many as there were winners. There are no extras or any other way to get them except maybe some retard selling his on ebay.

Edited by DemonI81

Wow..... what's up with the ridiculous praise for these things????

Yeah.... The box is nice enough, sure. But the keys themselves are garbage. They're made of white metal. To the uneducated, that's shit metal that bends and breaks ridiculously easy. It's the same stuff they make that quarter machine jewelery out of. Anyone that's handled their key will also notice how easily the finish comes off on your hands.

These things are complete pieces of shit. But hell, I'm sure someone on ebay will be willing to pay a mint for one. Which is where mine will be going presently.