Achievement Discussion

What's with all these devs half assing the achievements? I was gonna get this game until I found out there's no new achievements. That's a no go for me. I know it's unrelated but destiny is doing the same shit. No new achievements for the dlc. Fucking bullshit. Voting with my wallet.

I'm still debating whether or not to get the Xbox One version as soon as it launches. Still haven't played the 360 version, but I only noticed just now that the 360 retail version of SotFS will be $40 USD and the One version will be $60.

And as I haven't played Dark Souls II yet I probably shouldn't be complaining about that price difference. Considering it already launched for the 360 I suppose that's fair. The One version should be 60fps as well, hopefully it's going to be consistent.

What exactly is different between vanilla DkSII and SotFS? DLC is included, and what's covered in the spoiler thread here?

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614521

And considering the above spoiler thread, could this potentially make the game/achievements more challenging than the original DkSII? Or just different for the sake of being a little different?

I'm still debating whether or not to get the Xbox One version as soon as it launches. Still haven't played the 360 version, but I only noticed just now that the 360 retail version of SotFS will be $40 USD and the One version will be $60.

And as I haven't played Dark Souls II yet I probably shouldn't be complaining about that price difference. Considering it already launched for the 360 I suppose that's fair. The One version should be 60fps as well, hopefully it's going to be consistent.

What exactly is different between vanilla DkSII and SotFS? DLC is included, and what's covered in the spoiler thread here?

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614521

And considering the above spoiler thread, could this potentially make the game/achievements more challenging than the original DkSII? Or just different for the sake of being a little different?

Looks more on par with the original DS I'd say, since overall I found this game considerably easier aside from a couple of spots.. including shrine of amana, and I would imagine the changes they made to the shrine to make it easier will be in scholar of the first sin.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't consume any of the boss soul items you get from killing bosses (well, I guess you could look up the ones you need to save to get items that pertain to the sorcery/pyro/miracle/hex achievements but that's no fun), look at which companion achievements are in the game so you can make sure you summon them for the bosses, exhaust all of the NPCs dialogue whenever you can, etc etc.

Unless you plan on doing a TON of PVP, you'll need to make it halfway into NG++ to get one of the achievements anyway, so you can probably take your time with your first playthrough and enjoy it, and then use a guide for NG+ and beyond to mop up all of what you don't get.

EDIT: Actually, you'll most likely have to go the NG++ route anyway, as getting the one specific sorcery i'm talking about is damn near impossible to do the intended way. It's tied to a covenant that never really sees any PVP action.

It's simple, but the sorcery/pyro/hex/miracle achievements can potentially be a bit of a pain.

There aren't any achievements tied to the DLC though :p

If you can make it to Fume Knight though, you can beat him. Took me three tries.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't add new achievements for the DLC areas, but you do need the Sorceries/Hex's/Miracles/Pyro's from the DLC area's for their related achievements.

Just Smash him with Havels Dildo, scrub4life.!:p

Do you really? You didn't in original DS2 obviously, but if you do in SotFS, that's pretty mean lol.

As long as you don't need to kill the optional DLC bosses. Those guys are all pretty tough.

Yeah, I think the Fume Knight is the only boss you have to fight from the DLC areas. Can you imagine if you had to fight those 2 black tigers in the Ivory King DLC? They are bastards! I probably will kill them just for the sake of it, but I hate the trip you have to take to get to them.

In DS1 there was the achievement to get all the unique weapons/shields, but in DS2 there isn't one.

The only items you have to collect are the sorceries, miracles, hexes, and pyromancies, which can't be dropped anyway.

You can drop items for people though, yeah. So if you're in need of some human effigies or something, you can have a friend drop some for you.

Yeah, I think the Fume Knight is the only boss you have to fight from the DLC areas. Can you imagine if you had to fight those 2 black tigers in the Ivory King DLC? They are bastards! I probably will kill them just for the sake of it, but I hate the trip you have to take to get to them.

That'd be hell. The walk to that boss is so hard.

Yeah you could play a Sorcerer if you wanted.

Sorceries scale off INT, Hexes scale off INT and FAITH combined, Miracles scale off FAITH, and Pyromancies also now scale off INT and FAITH combined.

I don't know how viable a pure-magic build is because i've never done one, but I think I heard they're decent.

You could always pick up a bow as well, but bow only runs are pretty damn hard.

I don't think i've ever not played melee, because the melee combat in Souls games is just way too fun. You just need to git gud a little first. This version of the game isn't as friendly to new players as the original version :p

Sorceries scale off INT, Hexes scale off INT and FAITH combined, Miracles scale off FAITH, and Pyromancies also now scale off INT and FAITH combined.

I don't know how viable a pure-magic build is because i've never done one, but I think I heard they're decent.

I don't think i've ever not played melee, because the melee combat in Souls games is just way too fun. You just need to git gud a little first. This version of the game isn't as friendly to new players as the original version :p

I went Bandit. Nice melee with a hint of ranged (starts with a bow).

I played as caster on 360 an it worked fine but that was before all the magic nerfs.

• 3 weeks later...

If you fancy a easy ranged attacker make a hexer dex mix just get faith and intelligence up to 30 quickly and then get as many dark orbs as possible 3 is ideal then you get about sixty uses and you spam at anything bosses too

you will need a melee backup to start with something reliable like a straight sword such as the fire sword at the bottom of forest of giants is ideal and just a 100% physical protection shield

Then if you equip the stone ring to reduce enemy poise you can pommel any enemy with dark orbs very quickly often staggering them too offering you a breather!