Akumu-mode?

Kovy88

Hi. I would like to know some details about the highest difficulty mode in The Evil Within, called the Akumu-mode. Does it have limited saves? No saves? Hopefully it's not a no-death run, because that is probably too much in a game like this.

So, if you have any details about the mode, could you share them here. Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source and link please.

Found this;

Unlockable Nightmare & Akumu Difficulties

Finish The Evil Within on the Survival difficulty level to unlock the Nightmare & Akumu difficulties. Keep in mind, “Akumu” is Japanese for “Worst Dream” mode, true to its Resident Evil survival-horror roots.

Difficulty Level Descriptions:

• Casual – For the weak and fearful. Auto-aiming enabled by default and slightly more ammo than normal.

• Survival – Standard difficulty. Challenge and overcome your fears.

• Nightmare – True to the word. Prepare to die.

• Akumu – One hit and it’s all over. Worse than Nightmare, this is pure hell.

Game Creator Shinji Mikami has this to say about Akumu mode: “People who can clear Akumu mode will definitely want to brag about it as it requires a high level of mental ability as well as technical ability. To me, survival horror requires both.”

Edited by xxJUSTINxx

dammit i hate it when i have to unlock harder difficuties. is nightmare mode really locked from the start? i wouldnt start with akuma but nightmare locked too? damn

You really want to play a one-hit death difficulty on your first playthrough, when you have no idea how to solve the deadly traps and won't know about the enemy spawns, also if it's like RE4, the enemies are more aggressive too and if there are any quick time events, those probably require some lightning fast reflexes.

Ok, the tension may get really high playing it, but it just may be too frustrating to die one hit if you don't even know where to progress. And since this is RE4 style game, there is likely going to be a "typewriter" type of device, which is your only way to save the game. I don't think Shinji would put any sort of auto-saves to this game. Maybe just some quick saves before bosses and tight situations, so it doesn't get too frustrating.

I'll just gladly play on the normal difficulty first and unlock the harder ones and play on Akumu then. There's also collectibles that need to be picked up at some point for at least one achievement.

Read the last part of my post again.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with standard so far. Enemies are retarded and you can literally shoot them once in the leg they fall over you burn them and they dead. Sure it cost a match but that's another problem. I'm armed to the teeth. Got shotgun plenty of shells. Cross bow. Grenades. Max syringes. I'm struggling to run out of matches cos I keep finding them. I swear man this better get hard fast I hope the game backhand slaps me and makes me eat my words.

at least nightmare should of been selectable

I enjoy survival horrors stupid frustrating hard. Enemies actually feel threatening the game lasts longer and it feels better to over come the odds

quick time events are never hard the game has a checkpoint system any way so its simple trial and error no typewriter saves either jus some diary but there's checkpoints anyway

I hate collectibles I made a thread bout em I hate em that much. I wanna enjoy the game then work on achievements. Collectibles come last

oh and I'm already armed to the teeth and I ain't even redeemed the fighting chance pack yet lol

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

I'm on Akumu Mode right now (End of Chapter 5, the damnded Sniper Scene) and I get my Ass handed to me. It is really a Pain when you have to outlive the Snipers, the ongoing normal Henchmen and on Top of that all those pesky little Traps, I really dont look forward too the next Chapters at all.:eek:

Read the last part of my post again

Ok, yeah. My bad.

Is Akumu difficulty unocked after you beat game on nightmare difficulty or u can beat on any difficulty to unlock akumu difficulty?

This question was already answered before you even asked the first time. Reading skills?

I'm on Akumu Mode right now (End of Chapter 5, the damnded Sniper Scene) and I get my Ass handed to me. It is really a Pain when you have to outlive the Snipers, the ongoing normal Henchmen and on Top of that all those pesky little Traps, I really dont look forward too the next Chapters at all.:eek:

That is still a bit disappointing. I expected the mode to be hard enough, so that people wouldn't already be progressing through the game on that difficulty. I haven't even got the game yet.

That is still a bit disappointing. I expected the mode to be hard enough, so that people wouldn't already be progressing through the game on that difficulty. I haven't even got the game yet.

Chapter 5 is when the game really starts and you can't use stealth tactics for the most part. I died a few times on Chapter 6 even on normal difficulty. The part where you have to snipe 4 dudes that only show if you are in their line of fire (they shoot about 20 metal bolts at the same time). All while being chased by an endless stream of enemies that you can't defeat as there aren't enough resources, so you have to rely on your partner (I don't know how much damage he can take on Akumu).

There are also many close combat sequences with a lot of enemies and since it's harder to shoot people than in RE4 you will have a lot of problems on Akumu.

I really like the challenge but feel that there going to be a few places that will just feel cheap like the fights in chapter 6.

Chapter 5 is when the game really starts and you can't use stealth tactics for the most part. I died a few times on Chapter 6 even on normal difficulty. The part where you have to snipe 4 dudes that only show if you are in their line of fire (they shoot about 20 metal bolts at the same time). All while being chased by an endless stream of enemies that you can't defeat as there aren't enough resources, so you have to rely on your partner (I don't know how much damage he can take on Akumu).

There are also many close combat sequences with a lot of enemies and since it's harder to shoot people than in RE4 you will have a lot of problems on Akumu.

I really like the challenge but feel that there going to be a few places that will just feel cheap like the fights in chapter 6.

the sniping section on chapter 6 you don't have to kill anything othe than the 4 enemies on turrets. Everything else just leave to the Ai partner and his axe

I'm on Chapter 10 (Akumu) right now, struggling with the Fire Bitch. And while I'm also doing the "No Upgrades" Run I must say it's hard but managable so far. Sniper Part, Neun+Zehn Boss Fight, Gas Chamber and the Safe Heads were pretty Intense and I dont look forward to the Gondola Ride, the Highway, the Busstop and the Last freaking Chapter. Btw: I love this Game...really great Designs, memorable Locations, intense Fights and a crazy Atmosphere.

I'm on Chapter 10 (Akumu) right now, struggling with the Fire Bitch. And while I'm also doing the "No Upgrades" Run I must say it's hard but managable so far. Sniper Part, Neun+Zehn Boss Fight, Gas Chamber and the Safe Heads were pretty Intense and I dont look forward to the Gondola Ride, the Highway, the Busstop and the Last freaking Chapter. Btw: I love this Game...really great Designs, memorable Locations, intense Fights and a crazy Atmosphere.

Is it a one hit-death mode as claimed in this thread? Does it have saves? Information is appreciated.

Akumu has One Hit Death...you die from everything like Shots, Grabs, Traps, Fire, Enemys running into you etc. But the Checkpoints are the same as in the other Modes so it is not that Frustrating...well, until you come to the later Parts where the Enemys have Guns:dance:

Good to hear that. Challenging but not as stupid as NYMHC in Max Payne at least.

No I just need to get a hold of a UK copy of the game since I just read that the German Version of this game (which I preordered) only has German language on disc and the Translations they do for us more than often simply suck balls.

Akumu has One Hit Death...you die from everything like Shots, Grabs, Traps, Fire, Enemys running into you etc. But the Checkpoints are the same as in the other Modes so it is not that Frustrating...well, until you come to the later Parts where the Enemys have Guns:dance:

I don't even want to think about chapter 11. Or the boss fight on 10. Or the stops on the bus ride. And doing it all without upgrades? Fuck me, not a chance. At least give me my beloved sprinting upgrades ^^