Any good?

bentleyma

If you just want to enjoy the music and play through it 1-2 times, it is a nice experience.

But as someone who heavily enjoys titles such as Project Diva, Theatrhythm or anything from the Bemani series it is terrible for high level play.

The system just doesn't support it and I feel like Zen Studios wanted to put style over playability. It looks good and the mechanic seems fresh, but just does not work properly. The difference between normal and master difficulty show this as there barely is one. It starts hard (at least for newcomers to the genre) and really doesn't progress that much in terms of the amounts of notes you have to hit. The frequency never comes close to anything you see in a Project Diva title, for instance.

Because it is just not possible. Even with the lower amount of notes, it becomes hard to see sometimes what you have to hit. Especially with a lof of blue and red guys. This is made even worse by the terrible decision to randomize the layout on master. Does Zen Studios even know what people want from a high level play experience? You NEED the predictability of the note layout to memorize everything and maximize your score.

And that is why I stopped at 550. It is just not fun to go any further. Other problems include the stupidly high 5 star cutoffs on master difficulty. Instead of being a normal 5 star cutoff like on other difficultys they basically work in the same way as gold stars in Rock Band. You have to nearly full combo the whole song with a good use of your chi and also get 90% of the bonus scores. It is hard for all the wrong reasons and more frustraiting.

A nice game for what it is if you just want to play through it, but I'd rather go back to Theatrhythm Curtain Call on my 3DS and try to full combo all critical my favourite songs of master difficulty there. You know, since the game is actually build for high level play.

• 3 weeks later...
If you just want to enjoy the music and play through it 1-2 times, it is a nice experience.

But as someone who heavily enjoys titles such as Project Diva, Theatrhythm or anything from the Bemani series it is terrible for high level play.

The system just doesn't support it and I feel like Zen Studios wanted to put style over playability. It looks good and the mechanic seems fresh, but just does not work properly. The difference between normal and master difficulty show this as there barely is one. It starts hard (at least for newcomers to the genre) and really doesn't progress that much in terms of the amounts of notes you have to hit. The frequency never comes close to anything you see in a Project Diva title, for instance.

Because it is just not possible. Even with the lower amount of notes, it becomes hard to see sometimes what you have to hit. Especially with a lof of blue and red guys. This is made even worse by the terrible decision to randomize the layout on master. Does Zen Studios even know what people want from a high level play experience? You NEED the predictability of the note layout to memorize everything and maximize your score.

And that is why I stopped at 550. It is just not fun to go any further. Other problems include the stupidly high 5 star cutoffs on master difficulty. Instead of being a normal 5 star cutoff like on other difficultys they basically work in the same way as gold stars in Rock Band. You have to nearly full combo the whole song with a good use of your chi and also get 90% of the bonus scores. It is hard for all the wrong reasons and more frustraiting.

A nice game for what it is if you just want to play through it, but I'd rather go back to Theatrhythm Curtain Call on my 3DS and try to full combo all critical my favourite songs of master difficulty there. You know, since the game is actually build for high level play.

Doesn't seem very fair at all. It's still easy enough to get perfect scores, the enemies are always the same but just aren't always the same button. Following the beat of the song means you can get perfects every hit and after playing a few times you will be able to figure out where to use your chi.

I got 19 red stars on my first story playthrough of master, having never played any of the songs on master before. You might want to just get better at the game before you put other people off of it!

• 2 months later...

This game is pure shit.I knew I'd only get so far in the game, from the start.My major problem is the bonus items.Why do I have to double tap a single tap button?Trying to get the random pick ups, throws my runs way off... and they weren't that good to begin with.

One ? Are they using triple button presses on the last song?I cant seem to decipher what I'm seeing.