surface tablet and wp7/8 games

jeffyy pop

first off im sorry i didnt know where to ask this.

i just got a surface tablet but havent opened it yet for various reasons. my question is does the surface play wp8 or w8 games? and does it play wp7 games. i also own a htc radar which i use to play wp7 games. im just wondering which games the tablet will play that will earn me achievements.

any help or links to stuff i can read and get more info will be much appreciated!!

first off im sorry i didnt know where to ask this.

i just got a surface tablet but havent opened it yet for various reasons. my question is does the surface play wp8 or w8 games? and does it play wp7 games. i also own a htc radar which i use to play wp7 games. im just wondering which games the tablet will play that will earn me achievements.

any help or links to stuff i can read and get more info will be much appreciated!!

Yes you're in the right place

The tablet will play Windows 8 (W8) games

WP7 & WP8 are only on Windows Phone 7&8 handsets

A list of the Windows8 games available is in this forum but be aware that they aren't all available on the tablet and are indicated by a small surface/tablet icon besides the game

The Windows8 games list is here

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=399534

or you can check out this link for just the tablet titles

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=394793

Edited by IEvil IMonkey

Yes you're in the right place

The tablet will play Windows 8 (W8) games

WP7 & WP8 are only on Windows Phone 7&8 handsets

A list of the Windows8 games available is in this forum but be aware that they aren't all available on the tablet and are indicated by a small surface/tablet icon besides the game

The Windows8 games list is here

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=399534

or you can check out this link for just the tablet titles

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=394793

thanks a ton... i was planning on getting a htc 8x soon so then i should be able to play mostly all the 8 titles wether it be w8 or wp8 i am guessing. im trying to finish off some of these wp7 games i got on my radar. i just got my htc radar forced to windows phone 7.8 it looks pretty neat so that should hold me over. again thanks for the quick reply

Even when you upgrade your phone you'll still be able to use your old phone for gaming. I believe you can have the same gamertag on up to 4 different phones. :)

Correct :woop:

Once you move over to the new WP8 handset you can also use the old handset to still play WP7 games WITHOUT the sim card in

I have a HTC 8X but still have my old Nokia Lumia 710 to play some old WP7 games that are either Nokia exclusives or not WP8 compatible yet

All you need to do is connect to your WiFi at home etc and you can play while being connected to LIVE. Obviously once you leave home you will lose your connection so I don't know the risks of unlocking achievements and possibly losing them without a sim (data connection) or WiFi connection

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I am sure I missed something somewhere...but I am thinking about buying a windows tablet for achievement games. Do the tablets have all the games that the windows phone have? Should I get a windows laptop or something instead? I basically want to know the cheapest option to get the most GS out of it.

Thanks

Durden

As the fellow mentioned above, Windows 8 tablets only play Windows 8 games, not Windows Phone games. Currently there are only 29 Windows 8 games for a total gamerscore of around 6000. Not really that much TBH. More games are promised to release, but there is no set schedule and they come out slowly.

OPTION 1: The absolute cheapest option would be to install dual boot windows 8 on your computer you already have (or update your current OS if you like), so in that case you only have to pay for W8, which is maybe $100, not sure.

OPTION 2: If you are only looking to blow money to be able to play these games, I suggest just getting some older laptop used on ebay and installing windows 8 on it. You can play games on any device with Windows 8, it doesnt have to be a touchscreen tablet or anything. That however is kinda lame and a huge waste of money.

OPTION 3: You could also get a Windows 8 crappy laptop from the store. I have seen some bad ones priced as low as $249.

OPTION 4: The next option is getting a Window 8 RT device (like the Surface RT). These have ARM processors and give a tablet experience, but allow to play the games as well, and are cheaper. Most RT devices are either $399 or $499. This will also net you a decent tablet for entertainment and web surfing, email purposes.

OPTION 5: Finally, you can get a real Windows 8 tablet with windows 8 on it, like the Surface Pro or a few others that have touchscreens (like the Yoga 13 or the Vaio Duo 11). These are more expensive but you also get a cool tablet/ultrabook. These will run $799+.

Options 1,2,3 would involve you having to play the games with a keyboard and mouse, not a touchscreen, which makes several of the games a bit more challenging (or even impossible) to complete. Options 4 and 5 are touch screens.

Basically I think it would be a shame for you to shell out that much money for 6000 gamerscore and not get something you would at least occasionally use for other things. Personally I would recommend Option 4 if you want to spend that much cash and get a cool tablet. Otherwise, 1 or 2 is prob best. Just my take. Hope I helped.