Does anyone else wish there was an option to turn off achievements?

icypinksmurf

Sorry if this is a repost, the search function keeps kicking back the same failure, so I apologize in advance.

Hey guys. By the mere fact that you guys are here is a testament to your drive for achievements, but sometimes don't you guys wish that you could turn off the ability to gain achievements? A few years ago it was vital for me to try for every point, and while I've gained some good memories doing some tough boosts and meeting some cool guys (F.E.A.R. 2 & C.o.D 3 anyone?) I haven't been able to play as much now that I am in college. I fear that it may have come to a point in my life where playing a ridiculous amount of hours for a measly 20:gsicon: has come to an end. Now seeing this in sight I look back to the days where you didn't have to be OCD to try and score as many points as possible in a limited amount of time. I think back to the days where you poured hours into your game simply because it was good not because you couldn't resist not going for 100% completion. I know that for some this is what you do to blow off steam, relax, or catch a quick breath from reality (hell, I used to be one of you, in some ways I always will be one of you) but I just wish that Microsoft would realize that for some achievements/trophies are becoming a real problem. You could say that it's shifting from having a drink because you're out with friends vs. drinking at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday. Even for those of you out there that don't want to quit achievements permanently you still might want to turn them off for a bit to try out a game before committing to it or just playing a guilty pleasure game that you don't want to 100%. Well, this is my semi-rant I know its rough and this probably isn't the best place to post this but shout out if you agree, disagree, or whatever. I wanna hear what my fellow x360a'rs have to say.

Edited by icypinksmurf

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because I'm not that addicted. I play a game for fun, achievements are a bonus. I'm not going to go out and buy a game just for achievements.

The obvious response would be about that's what addicts always say, but I'm assuming you two aren't quite as far down the rabbit hole as I was as well as the regulars around here.

I'm okay with getting the 20GS off some games. Try not to let it happen but if it does I doesn't really bug me that bad. Gamerscore is Gamerscore.

Exactly! So why doesn't Microsoft and Sony have an out for those of us who don't want to deal with them? I mean, how many times have I heard people say it's just a number but still there is a large portion of us still achieving. Just the other day I read a post about the guy trying to get to a million gamerscore first has just hit 600,000. There needs to be an out. I'm not saying its as addictive as drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes but it's part of our everyday lives as gamers and we should have the option to not partake without flat-out not being able to play.

Edited by icypinksmurf

Well, that doesn't mean that I won't go for achievements and try to complete my games.

Listen, my point is not to change the way you play games, or even stop you from getting achievements. The point is to point it out. As far as I can tell this hasn't been talked about all that much and isn't considered a real problem. I just want others to realize this and possibly do something about it.

I just don't get this. Why turn them off? Who cares? If you just wanna play then play. I just don't get it, sorry.

I guess the same reason you don't tempt an alcoholic by taking them to a bar. Look, if this was done it would affect any of you from achievement hunting. I just thought there would at least be a few people who would agree with me about this, when I play I want to actually enjoy it, not because I could be happening upon an action that will result in a bleep bloop. Make sense?

I don't think we should be able to turn off certain achievements. But I wouldn't mind being able to delete certain games off our list, like games with unachievable achievements.

I don't want to turn off certain achievements, I want people who decide they want to, to be able to turn off achievements for themselves only. Dong ma?

You realize you can just create and use an alternate tag to try out those certain games that you think might screw up your completion percentage?

I do this on occasion (mostly to see if games work, and also to see if I'll actually enjoy them enough to go through them). So no, I really don't see the need to turn off achievements, especially when you have this very easy and quick option.

Like an option to just have achievements disabled on your Gamercard/Account?

Yes!

GOD ALL MIGHTY....why the hell would you post on a forum on a site dedicated to getting achievements a stupid thread like this?

You honestly think we are gonna say...yeah...I agree....I just post on these forums to hang out with all the awesome Black Ops community.

No, I don't think you'll agree, but I think there may be a small group who are like me, used to be completionists but are now reformed. There's no need to be mean about it. This thread is "General Xbox 360 Discussion" not "Hardcore Achievement Completionist" thread. Calm down.

You realize you can just create and use an alternate tag to try out those certain games that you think might screw up your completion percentage?

I do this on occasion (mostly to see if games work, and also to see if I'll actually enjoy them enough to go through them). So no, I really don't see the need to turn off achievements, especially when you have this very easy and quick option.

Yes, but the point is not to 'test' games it's to continue playing games in the old way. For the fun of them. Not for some number.

Edited by icypinksmurf

This is stupid and so are you. If you want to play it for fun, play it for fun. No one is putting a gun to your head and saying, " once you get one achievement you have to get them all."

I hate when people on here with "OCD" think the world should revolve around their obsession

No, I don't think you'll agree, but I think there may be a small group who are like me, used to be completionists but are now reformed. There's no need to be mean about it. This thread is "General Xbox 360 Discussion" not "Hardcore Achievement Completionist" thread. Calm down.

I tire of the stupid threads that pop up...

who cares what you used to be...either love achievements and only play the games you can 100% or just play for fun...why does everyone try and complicate this or make it into a big F@#$ING production?

Not trying to be mean...just tired of all the picky people who whine about everything.

This is stupid and so are you. If you want to play it for fun, play it for fun. No one is putting a gun to your head and saying, " once you get one achievement you have to get them all."

I hate when people on here with "OCD" think the world should revolve around their obsession

Amen brother...couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't. Because I don't care. If I get achievements for a game, awesome, yay for that. If I only get 10G the entire time I'm playing a game, that's fine with me.

I play video games because I'm interested in them. I don't go out and buy games just because it has easy achievements; I play them because I'm interested in them.

Yes, but the point is not to 'test' games it's to continue playing games in the old way. For the fun of them. Not for some number.

Yes, but that's what I was saying. I test and play the games on my alternate account initially to see if I will enjoy them enough to actually go through them all the way. That is unless it's a game I know I'll enjoy (Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, and Left 4 Dead). But for a game like Overlord, if I hadn't tried it out on my alternate account initially to see how it was then I never would have enjoyed getting the completion on my main account afterward.

The point I'm trying to make is, for all the things Microsoft needs to improve on for the 360, this is definitely not something they should be concerned about, especially when there's such an easy alternate method to use for people looking to play without worrying about achievements. Hell, you can even turn off the achievements popping on the screen when going through the game, even though they still add up on your tag.

I unno about that... I love getting achievements. Personally, I feel like its a reward for finishing a game on the hardest difficulty, or collecting all those collectables.

If there wasn't achievements, I'd probably beat the game on normal, and not even bother with the collectables.

But yah, some of them are a pain, for a 10G.

Edited by Smokiiz

I'm not saying anything like that. I'm saying there should be the option, not there should be no achievements.

I don't. Because I don't care. If I get achievements for a game, awesome, yay for that. If I only get 10G the entire time I'm playing a game, that's fine with me.

I play video games because I'm interested in them. I don't go out and buy games just because it has easy achievements; I play them because I'm interested in them.

I've never played a game for easy achievements, I've only gone for them in games I was going to play anyways. But it doesn't change the fact that for some people it's like being tied to an anchor, although some don't see it that way.

Yes, but that's what I was saying. I test and play the games on my alternate account initially to see if I will enjoy them enough to actually go through them all the way. That is unless it's a game I know I'll enjoy (Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, and Left 4 Dead). But for a game like Overlord, if I hadn't tried it out on my alternate account initially to see how it was then I never would have enjoyed getting the completion on my main account afterward.

The point I'm trying to make is, for all the things Microsoft needs to improve on for the 360, this is definitely not something they should be concerned about, especially when there's such an easy alternate method to use for people looking to play without worrying about achievements. Hell, you can even turn off the achievements popping on the screen when going through the game, even though they still add up on your tag.

Hell, maybe I'm the only one who misses the achievement free days of gaming then.

I unno about that... I love getting achievements. Personally, I feel like its a reawrd for finishing a game on the hardest difficulty, or collecting all those collectables.

If there wasn't achievements, I'd probably beat the game on normal, and not even bother with the collectables.

But yah, some of them are a pain, for a 10G.

But doesn't that burn you? Like physically hurt you? I mean, I look back at my gamerscore, some of it was fun, but a lot of it was just hours and hours for a few scant points. Don't you feel like you've missed out on doing.. productive things? I mean, I know the feeling of having completed a game, and that's great. But now that I'm pretty much done with that I'm looking at it and all I can see is about a couple hundred hours where I could have been playing multiplayer with friends instead, or moving onto other games. Idunno, man.

I'm not saying anything like that. I'm saying there should be the option, not there should be no achievements.

That is what you're saying. You are making it seem like just because there are achievements, you have to go for them which, as previously stated, is not the case

GOD ALL MIGHTY....why the hell would you post on a forum on a site dedicated to getting achievements a stupid thread like this?

You honestly think we are gonna say...yeah...I agree....I just post on these forums to hang out with all the awesome Black Ops community.

Don't you mean BLOPS?

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously though, why would you want to? If you really aren't addicted to Gamerscore, or completion, why would it matter if you earned an achievement or not in a game? When I didn't care about gamerscore (the first 3 years I had my 360) I would play a game and if I didn't like it, I would not play it any more. Didn't matter it was already on my card (see my terrible completion percentage?)

Now I gotta go back and re-buy / finish these terrible, terrible games :/