Scruples/morality question...

JLogan27

I have a friend on Live who saw me playing Backyard Football '10. This is a friend with whom I have boosted before, I do not know him personally. He asked me if the game was easy (it is extremely) but then he asked if he could give me his account info and have me play the game on it so he gets the 1000 points.

Is this 'game saving'? I do not have an issue doing it as it doesn't take much effort on my behalf but I do not want to be hammered by Microsoft if this is some sort of 'illegal' activity.

Thanks for any advice.

This isn't game saving, no. I know plenty of people who have their friends get achievements for them. I really don't know if Microsoft bans people for it or anything, but I've never heard of it happening before.

And for what it's worth, if I knew someone who had a friend do Backyard Football for them, I really wouldn't think any different than if he did it himself, because it's so easy.

Correct.

It's not the same as having a person come over and recover their account, as they are not involved in the earning of achievements.

Ok what he is saying is to recover the guys account to get achievements on the account for him on HIS gamertag. So in order to do that the one getting the guy the achievement is going to have to recover the guys account who wants the achievements. Once he recovers the tag, how can xbox know if its the actual guy playing it or somebody else who doesn't own the tag. It doesn't matter who recovers the account or where, I've recovered my account 4 different places in 3 different states and have gotten 800+ gamerscore off of games I didn't have. The only thing different here is that the guy is actually not at his house. You will not get banned for recovering an account unless that account has been banned otherwise or etc.

Ok what he is saying is to recover the guys account to get achievements on the account for him on HIS gamertag. So in order to do that the one getting the guy the achievement is going to have to recover the guys account who wants the achievements. Once he recovers the tag, how can xbox know if its the actual guy playing it or somebody else who doesn't own the tag. It doesn't matter who recovers the account or where, I've recovered my account 4 different places in 3 different states and have gotten 800+ gamerscore off of games I didn't have. The only thing different here is that the guy is actually not at his house. You will not get banned for recovering an account unless that account has been banned otherwise or etc.

Actually, yes, you will. It is fine to have someone come over to your house and play games on your account, since many people share accounts with family, but when you give someone your accout to unlock achievements, that is against the rules. And yes, they can tell. They can tell where the account is recovered to, since many just recover to modding software.

It is the same way that your bank knows that your debit card was stolen. You live in Chicago, and your card is being used in Phoenix. If you have a purchase for a plane ticket, it slides, but if there is no evidence of any reason why you would be in Phoenix, you at least get a call. So, unless you and your friends are neighbours, chances are, they can tell that you didn't have time to run over and recover, play it there and then run home.

Actually, yes, you will. It is fine to have someone come over to your house and play games on your account, since many people share accounts with family, but when you give someone your accout to unlock achievements, that is against the rules. And yes, they can tell. They can tell where the account is recovered to, since many just recover to modding software.

It is the same way that your bank knows that your debit card was stolen. You live in Chicago, and your card is being used in Phoenix. If you have a purchase for a plane ticket, it slides, but if there is no evidence of any reason why you would be in Phoenix, you at least get a call. So, unless you and your friends are neighbours, chances are, they can tell that you didn't have time to run over and recover, play it there and then run home.

No its really nothing more than someone recovering a gamertag from one house to another "a friends house" if you will. You're telling me that someone cannot recover an account at a friends house in another state and get achievements on it? Understand what you are saying before blowing things outta proportion lol. It's not like hes recovering a gamertag and modding with it. Sorry for these caps but: XBOX IS NOT GOING TO BAN YOU FOR RECOVERING AN ACCOUNT AND GETTING ONE GAME's ACHIEVEMENTS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

It is against the Xbox Live T&Cs. Just because you haven't been banned, doesn't mean you can't.

Should this kid risk having his profile banned for the sake of someone else who can't be bothered to sign up for gamefly? Hell no.

Now you are correct in the second part for sure and I wouldn't do it just because im lazy lol. But I'd like to see where it says exactly that you cannot recover an account and get get gamerscore on it. You show me that and I'll bow down. And it's not just me that hasn't been banned I've known people doing this for upwards to 3 years and nothing has happened. I don't post BS just because I havent experienced it, but the fact of the matter is yes he shouldn't even be doing it for some random guy.

This is the same thing that got that winy arsed mummies boy kid banned. The one in all the papers, were the Mum slagged off MS and got the backing of loads of stupid parents, before she finally admitted that he did cheat.

His tag was recovered on a console in another state, the online achievements for the Halo Armor, were unlocked along with others and then it was recovered again on the original machine. Turned out that he had paid some random guy on the internet to unlock the stuff for him. I even think the dude unlocked them in the wrong order also, as if the moving the GT wasn't easy enough to track.

NOTE: When asked for evidence MS showed times, places, achievements and various other evidence to prove that it was not the original person. Thing he logged in one day, had them unlocked and then logged in again the next day (probably doing an impossible round trip).

So YES it can get you banned, its against T&C. But obviously we can't guarantee that YOU will be banned if you do it, but honestly is it really worth the risk.

Edited by Damage

As far as I know, doing this will NOT get either of you banned but it does make his account eligible for a gamerscore reset. So there's no risk for you but I'm guessing that if he cares enough about his GS to want to inflate it with this game, he probably cares enough that he doesn't want it all erased. Tell him to buy/rent the game himself and there will be no trouble for anyone.

Thanks all. I don't think I'm gonna do it. Can't have my precious gamerscore reset or account banned for something stupid.

Should this kid risk having his profile banned for the sake of someone else who can't be bothered to sign up for gamefly? Hell no.

Kid? I would wager I'm older than you! :biglaugh

Thanks all. I don't think I'm gonna do it. Can't have my precious gamerscore reset or account banned for something stupid.

I don't understand -- why would your account get banned when you are just playing on the recovered Gamertag anyway??? :confused:

I know people are known to charge for something like this but you are doing it as a favor and NOT exchanging $$$, as far I as I can tell. Strange that someone would be so trusting as to give another person access to their account for whatever reason though.

Edited by gamerguy69

If discovered, you both may get a ban, and he'll probably end up with a GS reset. Against the CoC to trade or swap gamercards.

This is taken from the CoC:

Don’t lend, transfer, sell, or otherwise provide access to your account to any individual

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/legal/codeofconduct

Edited by DENAz666

No its really nothing more than someone recovering a gamertag from one house to another "a friends house" if you will. You're telling me that someone cannot recover an account at a friends house in another state and get achievements on it? Understand what you are saying before blowing things outta proportion lol. It's not like hes recovering a gamertag and modding with it. Sorry for these caps but: XBOX IS NOT GOING TO BAN YOU FOR RECOVERING AN ACCOUNT AND GETTING ONE GAME's ACHIEVEMENTS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Having worked for the Xbox Policy and Enforcement team, I am possibly the one here most qualified to address this point.

You are mostly incorrect. This practice is against the Code of Conduct and the PET can and has reset the gamerscore of multiple accounts for this exact reason. As far as I am aware, they have not banned any accounts over it.

I'll step in and instead of talking about the legal (Terms of Use) stuff, I'll just comment with my opinion.

It's really stupid to do that. Is your friend actually so addicted to gamerscore, that he would take it from someone else without even playing the game? Sounds pretty stupid and unreasonable to me. I think he needs to take a step back examine what makes him feel accomplishment.

I would never do this for someone or have someone do this for me. The only thing close to this I've ever done is playing Halo 3 at my friend's house, and playing on his main account while he was the guest, instead of the other way around, knowing I would get some achievements.

I can sense your friend's frustration as that game is extremely hard to come buy in many countries (other than the US), but he could just snatch it up on eBay for a couple of bucks if he's desperate and unable to get his hands on it.

If he trusts you enough with his details, why don't you just mail the game to him...?

If he wanted to pay me for it then that wouldn't be a problem.

It's really stupid to do that. Is your friend actually so addicted to gamerscore, that he would take it from someone else without even playing the game? Sounds pretty stupid and unreasonable to me. I think he needs to take a step back examine what makes him feel accomplishment.

I found it a little odd as his gamerscore is 'only' 39K and there were a lot of easy achievements on his card that he didn't have. If gamerscore was so important, why not knock out those easy achieves?

(and thanks for your Dirt 3 vids, they are going to help me tremendously).

Anywho...evidently, someone else helped him as he got all the achieves in the game the next day after asking me.