You thoughts on a joint ms/sony console

fallout frank

I read a thread about why they should and could do this, personally I think it is a great idea. Combining the two would give a great online service, great hardware and software, access to all exclusives on one console and an awesome back catalogue of games to revive. Really just wanted to know what you guys thought of this. Here is the link.

http://kotaku.com/5821752/why-sony-and-microsoft-teaming-up-on-their-next-console-makes-a-lot-of-sense?popular=true

Joint? I don't think there should be an issue of doing a join project at all (MS and Sony would never do it anyway.) It should be like the DVD player. Multiple companies release the hardware, but no matter which one you buy, all games work on all systems. Logging on to it will give you drastically different User interfaces (the dashboard would be like they are now respectively) and the controller variety would remain as well. Hardware specs would have to be the same as well as the number of buttons and supported features on the console. Than it would be less about trying to beat out another company with hardware or trying to garner more 3rd party support and be more about enhancing your own 1st party library.

I can see this happening in the future. It's the only electronic device that does this. You can watch DVDs on all DVD players, play music on all MP3 Devices, and talk to everybody on all Cellphone networks, so why should consoles stay segregated?

Joint? I don't think there should be an issue of doing a join project at all (MS and Sony would never do it anyway.) It should be like the DVD player. Multiple companies release the hardware, but no matter which one you buy, all games work on all systems. Logging on to it will give you drastically different User interfaces (the dashboard would be like they are now respectively) and the controller variety would remain as well. Hardware specs would have to be the same as well as the number of buttons and supported features on the console. Than it would be less about trying to beat out another company with hardware or trying to garner more 3rd party support and be more about enhancing your own 1st party library.

I can see this happening in the future. It's the only electronic device that does this. You can watch DVDs on all DVD players, play music on all MP3 Devices, and talk to everybody on all Cellphone networks, so why should consoles stay segregated?

Surely though, all the consoles would use different hardware and compatability would be difficult. It'd be pretty much like having a PC that just does games.

No, hate the idea. Whenever one company controls the market (or companies co-operating in this case) the prices shoot up out of pure greed. I like the way it is with 3 separate consoles. 4 would be too much, 2 wouldn't be enough. How about we let companies stay separate and compete for our money. That way prices will be lower and companies will actually have to resort to making stuff we want to buy in order to get our business

I honestly don't mind either way, I think that if MS and Sony could work together that it'd be a great thing. I seriously doubt prices would change too much, because gamers for the most part won't pay much more than they do now. As it is, $60 is a lot for a game that entertains me for at most 30 hours on avarage (there are some that give more, yes....)

I'd probably go back to MMOs if the prices went much higher, quite honestly.

And I quoted this because it is the worst idea ever.

Heres a video I found from a guy that I do follow alot on youtube and gives a lot of info!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHQJIwSZOzk]‪Sony and Microsoft Join Forces!? | Video Game related?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Just thought id post that lol...

EDIT: For those of you saying its not going to happen ever in a million years and comments of that nature. Microsoft is actually creating a website called Sony-Microsoft.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/sony-microsoft.com

Edited by Foxxy kyle

In theory it would work out great for us (gamers). Take the best features that both companies have to offer and roll it out as one box of gaming awesome. PS360 FTW :)

In reality I don't see it happening. Microsoft and Sony DO collaborate (more often than people think) but if they attempted this I could see the relationship turn sour very quickly.

So we would have the reliable hardware of the 360 and the online security of the PS3? Sold!

Win :)

Don't see it happening, they would both make huge losses as they use console exclusive titles to sell the hardware. Also who is going to pay for both XBL and PS network.

Also PC games don't work on Mac and visa versa (not all titles though). So yes it does still happen and are you going to have two sets of items for each! MS has just put millions into Kinect, PS the same into their version. So what are you going to do have both.

Last I heard xbox made little or no profit from the console itself, but makes the profits from game licensing and hardware additions. You make one universal console a developer will go, 'Oh MS wants X amount, but PS online wants X amount', I will go with the cheaper as they will both be played on the same machine.

EDIT: Oh and just because they are making a join website, doesn't mean its a joint console. It would simply be a joint venture on another basis, like a sony-MS laptop or a promotion. Like the fact you can win Sony TV's etc via the 360.

Edited by Damage

• 3 weeks later...
Also who is going to pay for both XBL and PS network.

Also PC games don't work on Mac and visa versa (not all titles though). So yes it does still happen and are you going to have two sets of items for each! MS has just put millions into Kinect, PS the same into their version. So what are you going to do have both.

Last I heard xbox made little or no profit from the console itself, but makes the profits from game licensing and hardware additions. You make one universal console a developer will go, 'Oh MS wants X amount, but PS online wants X amount', I will go with the cheaper as they will both be played on the same machine.

I do. I like having the betas and stuff that come with the PSN+

Using the Mac vs. PC debate doesn't work well, as it's got nothing to do with OS and everything to do with the way their processors (used) to work.

Nobody makes a profit on their consoles, except for Nintendo. Nintendo went out of their way to make their consoles cheap, as they knew that they couldn't compete on a graphical level, so they sacrificed things such as the ability to play DVDs, and graphical power, for something unique and much cheaper. The only other exception to this is the PS2, but at the beginning of its lifetime, the PS2 did not turn a profit either. MS may make a small profit on the 360s as they have evolved quite a bit into cheaper components as the lifespan of the console has gone on.

Edited by Worhammer