Achievement Guide & Roadmap

Neverender

Overview

- Estimated achievement difficulty: 5/10

- Offline: 20/20 (400)

- Online: 0/20 (0)

- Approximate amount of time to 400http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/misc/g-icon.gif: 8-10 Hours

- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2

- Number of missable achievements: None! (Level select available)

- Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats.

- Does difficulty affect achievements?: Yes

- Glitchy achievements: Insta-Killed, Speed Runner III

- Unobtainable achievements: None

- Extra equipment needed?: None

Introduction:

Welcome to Slender: The Arrival. Blue Isle Studios originally developed the game for PC, but it has now been ported over to Xbox Live Arcade with some additional content. You'll likely need to do three playthroughs of this game for all of the achievements, but luckily the entire game can be easily beaten in 45 minutes once you know what you're doing. There are some glitchy achievements, but none are unobtainable - any glitches can be counteracted.

Step 1: Normal Playthrough & Collectibles

First make sure your game is on normal difficulty in the options menu. Then, start the game. As you progress, you'll want to gather all of the collectibles so that they don't strain you on Hardcore or take your time on your Speed Runner playthroughs. For a video guide on collectibles, refer to The Collector II in the guide below. There are also several other miscellaneous achievements you'll want to gain on this run. They are:

• Level One ("Prologue"): I Love Radio, Master Pianist, and Fearless Fun
  • Level Two ("The Eight Pages"): I'll just take this, I guess?
  • Level Three ("Into the Abyss"): Well At Least You Tried
  • The Last Level ("The Arrival"): Tangled, Fire Proof
  • At your leisure: Get Me Out of Here!, Why Am I Playing This Game?

Step 2: Hardcore Playthrough

At this point, you should only be missing Fearless and the Speed Runner achievements. For your second playthrough, play on Hardcore difficulty (which unlocks upon completion of normal). Don't worry about collectibles, times, or anything else other than completing the levels, as the AI is very aggressive and your flashlight will run out.

The game is complete-able in two playthroughs if you get the Speed Runner achievements in this run or the previous one, but unless you have a lot of previous experience with the PC version of the game that is highly unlikely.

Step 3: Wrap-Up

Unless you missed some of the miscellaneous achievements from step one, you should only need the Speed Runner achievements now. Refer to the guide below for tips and videos on those.

Conclusion:

If you've made it this far, congratulations on completing Slender: The Arrival!

Edited by Neverender

Speed Runner I - 20

Beat "The Eight Pages" level in under 5 minutes.

This is best done on easy, as the AI is least aggressive, you have the most stamina and your flashlight won't run down. "The Eight Pages" is level two and takes place in Oakside Park and is largely randomized.

In each randomization there are ten distinct landmarks, eight of which hold pages. The landmarks are always the same landmarks, but their locations change. Furthermore, you'll randomly spawn in one of four locations at the start of the level. Luckily, the layout of the park will stay the same and the locations of the pages inside the landmarks will stay the same (if there is a page at that landmark). Here is a map of the park.

A good general strategy is to establish yourself along the outer perimeter of the park, work your way around, and then delve into the middle for the remaining pages. Try to stay calm when Slender Man appears and stay on the main roads - it's very easy to disorient yourself amongst the trees. There is a fair amount of luck to this with where the AI decides to place itself and where the pages end up, but with the amount of sprint you're given on easy this should be doable within a few attempts. For further assistance, here's a video from Deranged Asylum:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lCrsoVTTU]Slender The Arrival - Speed Runner I Achievement/Trophy Guide - YouTube[/ame]

It's also been reported that you can get this achievement by grabbing 5/8 pages and running into Slender Man to end the level. If you're struggling with the achievement, this is a good strategy to try.

Speed Runner II - 30

Beat "Into the Abyss" level in under 5 minutes.

This is best done on easy, as the AI is least aggressive, you have the most stamina and your flashlight won't run down. "Into the Abyss" is level three and takes place in a mine and is somewhat randomized.

In each randomization there are six generators you need to activate in order to power on an elevator to escape the mine. There are many locations where generators can be, but five of them will be randomly placed (the remaining one being directly beside the elevator). Maps for this level can be found here.

For further assistance, here is a video from Deranged Asylum:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocGGqOwoms]Slender The Arrival - Speed Runner II Console Version Achievement/Trophy Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Speed Runner III - 40

Beat the game in under 45 minutes.

This achievement sounds much more difficult than it actually is. Once you've played through the game a few times and gotten the other Speed Runner achievements, you'll have a good understanding of the levels' layouts and the events you must complete in order to progress. At this point, turn the game on easy and blow through the game. To check your current shortest time for a playthrough, click on Leaderboards on the main menu.

There are videos for this achievement under Fearless where the video creator is also playing on Hardcore to further assist.

The achievement is a little glitchy. Some people have reported that you need to do the playthrough for this start-to-finish in one sitting, others have reported that as long as your overall shortest time for a difficulty is under 45 minutes you'll still unlock the achievement (i.e. you can go back through and replay individual levels to get your overall time down). Other people have further reported that they were unable to get it either way.

The safest way to do this (and the best way to go about countering a glitch) is to delete your save after you have all of the other achievements, then do a fresh playthrough as quickly as possible on easy.

Note: "Genesis" and the other secret level do not contribute time for this achievement.

The Collector I - 30

Find all numbered letters.

Refer to The Collector II.

The Collector II - 50

Find all scrapbook items.

This video from Deranged Asylum shows the location of all of the collectibles for both Collector achievements:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMURj064AmU]Slender The Arrival - All 50 Scrapbook Items The Collector I & 2 Achievement/Trophy Guide - YouTube[/ame]

I Love Radio - 10

Listen to all of the radio tracks in the house.

The radio is in Kate's house in the first chapter ("Prologue"). Simply walk up to it and hit :abut: several times. You don't have to listen to the duration of the messages, so you can button mash if you'd like.

Edited by Neverender

Master Pianist - 10

Play the piano until the first notes from "No Friends" is played.

You can get this in the first level ("Prologue"). There is a piano inside Kate's house on the first floor. When you arrive, walk up to it and continually hit :abut:. After a few tries, this will unlock.

Tangled - 10

Get ensnared by Slender Man's tentacles.

This sounds simple, but can only be accomplished when Slender Man's tentacles are on full display in the last level ("The Arrival"). When you see his tentacles extended and he's chasing you, try to run into his tentacles and allow him to kill you.

Cry Baby -10

Disrupt Charlie while he's crying at least 3 times.

Charlie is located in the first level ("Prologue"). When you get to the final set of construction lights, near the entrance to Oakside Park, there is a house off to the left. Charlie is inside in a randomly-generated location. Approach him, get attacked, and then finish the level for the counter to increase. Repeat three times for the achievement.

Retro Fan - 40

Beat the "Genesis" level on Hardcore difficulty.

"Genesis" is very similar to "The Eight Pages". Here's another video courtesy of Deranged Asylum to help:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYw2bgzLL4]Slender The Arrival - Retro Fan Achievement/Trophy Guide - YouTube[/ame]

I'm Free - 10

Beat the game on normal difficulty.

The game is on normal by default. Upon beating it, you'll earn this achievement.

Fearless - 40

Beat the game on "Hardcore" difficulty.

After you beat the game, you unlock hardcore difficulty. This is different from normal because:

• You have less stamina.
  • Your flashlight runs out after time.
  • Enemy AI is notably more aggressive.
  • In "Into the Abyss", you have to collect canisters as well as turn on generators.

When doing the game on hardcore, don't worry about collectibles, time, or anything else. Just get what you need, avoid enemies, and get to the end.

Here are videos from Deranged Asylum - they're all on hardcore and he finishes in time to get Speed Runner III as well. (Videos linked and not embedded to reduce page lag)

Fire Proof - 30

Make it through the forest fire without catching on fire once.

This is obtained on the last level ("The Arrival"). Because of the extra stamina and more passive enemies, it's easier to do this on easy difficulty. At a certain point, the forest will be on fire and you'll be pursued by Slender Man through it. Avoid areas with flames at all costs. Try to sprint between clear patches as quickly as possible and don't let Slender Man disorient you. If you catch fire your screen's edges will have some flames, at which point you'll need to let yourself be killed or restart the level to try again.

Note: If you do earn this achievement, you'll receive it after the interesting bit of the game at the end.

Walking Simulator - 10

Surpass 10,000 total steps taken.

This is cumulative. If you don't receive the achievement by the time you have all of the others, you can rubber band your controller's :ls: to make you walk in a circle on the first level ("Prologue") to boost this quickly. There are no enemies in this level, so your leisurely stroll will be uninterrupted by pesky supernatural beings.

Edited by Neverender

Insta-Killed - 10

We're sorry about that... Here's a cookie!

You can get this at the end of the second level ("The Eight Pages"). Once you find most of the pages, Slender Man will become more aggressive in chasing you. Simply run directly into him and die. It's assumed that you actually need to make physical contact with him for the achievement instead of dying through heavy distortion. This may be easier for you to do by sprinting at him while facing him or backing into him, so try both. You may also be able to do this in other levels, but "The Eight Pages" is by far the easiest place to do this.

This achievement is glitchy for some. If you don't die in your first attempt at "The Eight Pages", you may be effected. If you don't get it with the above method after several attempts, delete your save and retry the method.

I'll just take this, I guess? - 10

Pick up an oversized sign and somehow manage to fit it in your scrapbook.

Refer to The Collector II.

The sign is at the beginning of the second level ("The Eight Pages"). Before you enter Oakside Park, you should pass by a canoe rental shack. On the front of the shack, above the door, is the sign.

Get Me Out of Here! - 10

Exceed 10 failed pause attempts.

Refer to Why Am I Playing This Game?.

Why Am I Playing This Game? - 10

Exceed 50 failed pause attempts.

When Slender Man distortion is in effect, you will be unable to pause the game. This is an intentional game element. The achievements related to this element are for attempting to pause when the game won't let you (AKA when Slender Man is nearby). These are also cumulative - you don't need to mash :start: 50 times in one encounter with Slender Man, just hit it 50 times overall.

A good way to do this is simply mashing the :start: button whenever you know you're going to die. This way you will not need to go out of your way for the achievement.

Well At Least You Tried - 10

Die in the "Into the Abyss" level 3 times in a row.

"Into the Abyss" is the third level. Slender Man and the Proxy will come after you once you enter the mine and activate the first generator. Simply let yourself be killed three times in a row. Once you die, you'll respawn in front of the first generator, so you don't have to do the beginning part of the level over each time.

Fearless Fun - 10

Riding a Slide in a Horror game.

The slide is behind Kate's house in the first level ("Prologue"). Simply walk down the slide for the achievement.

Edited by Neverender

looking good so far.

I have a question though, I just began and left the house I need to get off and it says the levels progress will be unsaved. I haven't seen any autosaves or saves voluntarily, so wth? Does it save automatically or do you have to complete the level...?!

-_-

- Nate/ Payshince

Are you certain Insta-Killed is story-related? It didn't pop for me when I completed the Eight Pages level. I didn't find it unusual though because you don't actually get killed at the end. Back when this game was only on Steam the general tip was that if Slenderman teleported in front of you and gave you a game over, that was when this would pop.

Are you certain Insta-Killed is story-related? It didn't pop for me when I completed the Eight Pages level. I didn't find it unusual though because you don't actually get killed at the end. Back when this game was only on Steam the general tip was that if Slenderman teleported in front of you and gave you a game over, that was when this would pop.

I guess it is possible that it pops when he kills you first. I got it when my character started sprinting after finding the eight page because she sprinted straight into Slendy. Is it possible to finish that level without being pseudo-killed by Slender Man?

I guess it is possible that it pops when he kills you first. I got it when my character started sprinting after finding the eight page because she sprinted straight into Slendy. Is it possible to finish that level without being pseudo-killed by Slender Man?

I beat the game and do not have this achievement. You can check my gamertag. Definitely can be missed.

I'm having some troubles with achievements.

Insta-Killed just won't pop. I tried running into him (also in the chase scene after getting the 8 pages) on both easy and hardcore. Nothing. Ran backwards into him. Nothing. Collected a few pages and waited. Nothing.

I also have problems with the speedrun achievements.

Although I started a new game on hardcore, my timer didn't reset and I don't know if that is affecting anything. Also, does it have to be one run from the first to last level or can I replay stages on the same difficulty for the best times? Does a retry add time to your overall counter? I died in the chase scene after getting all 8 pages in about 3 minutes and then did it again in 4 minutes, this time without messing up. No achievement. I'm worried about not getting the speedrun achievements as I do not want to play through the entire game (though it only takes 30 minutes on easy) again.

Same question also goes for the collectibles. Can I just replay levels? Do I have to recollect stuff after dying? Can I just collect something and then exit out of the game?

I'll note Insta-Killed as potentially glitched. Not sure exactly what the criteria are, but I'll look into it and as more people start playing hopefully we'll see some kind of correlation. How did "The Eight Pages" level end for both of you?

Personally, it ended for me with my character suddenly sprinting (which was out of my control, though I could still use the right stick). She ran for a little bit, hit Slendy, and then I moved on to the next level. From what L0cke said, I am currently under the impression you can end the level by not getting caught and I believe that may have something to do with that achievement.

I also have problems with the speedrun achievements.

Although I started a new game on hardcore, my timer didn't reset and I don't know if that is affecting anything. Also, does it have to be one run from the first to last level or can I replay stages on the same difficulty for the best times? Does a retry add time to your overall counter? I died in the chase scene after getting all 8 pages in about 3 minutes and then did it again in 4 minutes, this time without messing up. No achievement. I'm worried about not getting the speedrun achievements as I do not want to play through the entire game (though it only takes 30 minutes on easy) again.

Same question also goes for the collectibles. Can I just replay levels? Do I have to recollect stuff after dying? Can I just collect something and then exit out of the game?

I can't guarantee anything yet because I haven't tested, but based on some observations of the game, this is what I believe:

1. Speedrun III must be one playthrough, beginning to end.

2. Retrying does add time to your counter

3, You can replay levels for collectibles.

4. You do have to recollect items after dying.

5. You can't just exit out of the game after getting a collectible - you must finish the level for the game to save and register it.

Again, I could be wrong. If anyone discovers that I am, please don't hesitate to post.

Also, courtesy of Deranged Asylum, I'm going to be adding some pretty snazzy videos to the guide soon for the collectibles and Speed Runner achievements.

Edit: On a side note, would anyone like text-based guides for the collectibles? If so I can make one based of off DA's videos and my experience in the game. Just don't know what the demand is like since most people have connections speedy enough for streaming now.

Edited by Neverender

I'll note Insta-Killed as potentially glitched. Not sure exactly what the criteria are, but I'll look into it and as more people start playing hopefully we'll see some kind of correlation. How did "The Eight Pages" level end for both of you?

Personally, it ended for me with my character suddenly sprinting (which was out of my control, though I could still use the right stick). She ran for a little bit, hit Slendy, and then I moved on to the next level. From what L0cke said, I am currently under the impression you can end the level by not getting caught and I believe that may have something to do with that achievement.

You normally end the level with just sprinting. Run straight and try to avoid trees and rocks. I never encountered Slender this way. Only when I took hard turns I saw him and ran into the bastard going for the insta-kill achievement. No luck, and I also had to retry, voiding my speedrun achievement in the process.

I'm on the last level on hardcore now and Slender grabbed me once with his instant kill attack from behind during Into the Abyss. Still, no achievement. Every other kill related achievement unlocked without problems. "At least you tried" even unlocked after only messing up twice during the level.

Edited by L0cke89

You normally end the level with just sprinting. Run straight and try to avoid trees and rocks. I never encountered Slender this way. Only when I took hard turns I saw him and ran into the bastard going for the insta-kill achievement. No luck, and I also had to retry, voiding my speedrun achievement in the process.

I'm on the last level on hardcore now and Slender grabbed me once with his instant kill attack from behind during Into the Abyss. Still, no achievement. Every other kill related achievement unlocked without problems. "At least you tried" even unlocked after only messing up twice during the level.

Hmmmmm... I have a theory. I think you actually need to make physical contact with Slendy for this - that instantly kills you regardless of stamina, distortion, etc. When he killed me at the end of "The Eight Pages", he was RIGHT there as I turned and I hit him with minimal distortion on-screen. Most of the time when he kills you, it's still from a little distance and done through the distortion stuff rather than physical contact.

If you can, will you try encountering him, turning your back to him (to minimalize the distortion gain from seeing him), and walk straight back into him? Let me know if that works, if not I'll keep looking into it.

Hmmmmm... I have a theory. I think you actually need to make physical contact with Slendy for this - that instantly kills you regardless of stamina, distortion, etc. When he killed me at the end of "The Eight Pages", he was RIGHT there as I turned and I hit him with minimal distortion on-screen. Most of the time when he kills you, it's still from a little distance and done through the distortion stuff rather than physical contact.

If you can, will you try encountering him, turning your back to him (to minimalize the distortion gain from seeing him), and walk straight back into him? Let me know if that works, if not I'll keep looking into it.

Nope, didn't work. Will try again tomorrow.

Also, Speedrunner III ist glitched for me. Finished normal in 33min and no achievement. The one for beating normal popped just fine. And is was a fresh game without any breaks.

Nope, didn't work. Will try again tomorrow.

Also, Speedrunner III ist glitched for me. Finished normal in 33min and no achievement. The one for beating normal popped just fine. And is was a fresh game without any breaks.

Oh no! :/ Some other people seem to have problems with Speed Runner III, but as far as I'm aware you're the only one having problems with Insta-Killed. I still believe it's glitched, but I'm not sure why it glitched for you and nobody else. If you've beaten the game and aren't attached to your collectibles, you could try deleting your save and trying from start for Speed Runner and try to run into Slendy for Insta-Killed. I'm still looking into it, but that's likely the best solution for the time being.

Per chance did you get the game very early on the day it was released? If you earned Insta-Killed before it was on Xbox.com it could have glitched on your save. It's a longshot, but still possible.

Progress Update: I've updated the Roadmap and DA is making some videos for the other Speed Runner videos, so those will be in the guide soon.

Insta-Killed - 10

We're sorry about that... Here's a cookie!

This is potentially glitched.

This is how I got the achievement:

Spoilers: You get this at the end of the second level ("The Eight Pages"). Once you find all eight of the pages, your character will begin sprinting uncontrollably. Eventually she'll run into our old buddy Slender Man and get this achievement.

Insta-Killed is not glitched. During "The Eight Pages", at any time Slender appears, just run straight into him, it unlocked on the first try (and I tried it on three different profiles on my 360).

Insta-Killed is not glitched. During "The Eight Pages", at any time Slender appears, just run straight into him, it unlocked on the first try (and I tried it on three different profiles on my 360).

Well, it isn't glitched for YOU. Please don't state something as fact, if you only have your own experience. I've ran into Slender about 20 times with every possible method on teh Eight Pages level alone. Even when he spawned in me and grabbed my back while I was running the achievements didn't pop.

Oh no! :/ Some other people seem to have problems with Speed Runner III, but as far as I'm aware you're the only one having problems with Insta-Killed. I still believe it's glitched, but I'm not sure why it glitched for you and nobody else. If you've beaten the game and aren't attached to your collectibles, you could try deleting your save and trying from start for Speed Runner and try to run into Slendy for Insta-Killed. I'm still looking into it, but that's likely the best solution for the time being.

Per chance did you get the game very early on the day it was released? If you earned Insta-Killed before it was on Xbox.com it could have glitched on your save. It's a longshot, but still possible.

Got the game one day after release. I will first collect every item for the scrapbook and try to unlock the other two speed runner achievements. If the other two achievements still haven't unlocked by then, I will delete both the game and my save and download it again. An extra 30 min. run on easy won't hurt me much, I guess. Still sucks, though.

Edited by L0cke89

Good to know that you got it the same way I did. Since it still glitched for L0cke I'm not quite comfortable saying it's not glitched, but this does help provide me with more insight - hopefully we can prevent it from glitching for more people in the future. :)

Got the game one day after release. I will first collect every item for the scrapbook and try to unlock the other two speed runner achievements. If the other two achievements still haven't unlocked by then, I will delete both the game and my save and download it again. An extra 30 min. run on easy won't hurt me much, I guess. Still sucks, though.

Yeah, really sucks... I wish I could give you advice other than "restart and start again", but from Aquaman's post and my experience I believe that escaping Slender Man your first play on chapter two may have caused the glitch and I don't know how to un-cause it (if that makes sense).

DA sent me the video for Speed Runner II, so I've added that. Not sure if he's doing two more (hardcore and SRIII) or just one, but he's been letting me know as he gets them up on YT so I'll update as applicable. I've also abstracted out the maps for the sake of a cleaner looking guide.

Edited by Neverender

Finally got Insta-Killed unlocked. And it is definitely glitched.

What I had to do was simple in the end, though. Just load up the game on another hard drive, usb or the cloud. Any fresh save. Then quickly start the game from the beginning, finish the first stage and collect a few pages in the second level. I grabbed 7 out the 8 and then waited for Slender to arrive. I ran straight into him (no walking backwards needed) and the achievement unlocked. And this is something I did many times before.

So just put this work around in the guide and everybody should be fine. No need to worry about not being able to complete the game.

I also unlocked Speed Runner III. I just changed to the easy difficulty and did the Speed Runner I achievements. I then completed the Arrival level again (game time was at about 34min) and in popped.

So now I only have one playthrough left on easy to collect all the stupid shit and then I AM DONE!

I mentioned this in another thread but if you set the difficulty to easy and collect five of the eight pages in level two and then run directly into Slender Man, the escape cutscene triggers, ending the level and giving you and almost completely guaranteed Speed Runner I unlock. I learned this from some kid's PC video on YouTube, but I may record the exploit myself on 360 just to clarify that it can still be done on consoles. Either way, it could be of note in the guide.