Best Way to get into Metal Gear?

I want to get into the series but I have no clue where to begin. I could go through the story chronologically by buying the HD Collection on 360 then this on XB1 but the problem is I don't own any sony console so I cannot play MGS4 or the original (unless I can find the port for gamecube, which I hear is not great. I always planned on getting a PS3 when they became super cheap, or alternatively I may end up with a PS4 or Playstation TV (depending on how backwards compatibility works itself out on these platforms) and the complete Metal Gear collection exists on the ps3 as a $50 bundle for every game minus the two parts of 5.

any advice in this matter would be appreciated.

I wish I had better news for you man, and maybe somebody does, but in my opinion, it is very possible you missed that train.

MGS was the first I played in the series, back 14 years ago.

14 years ago. And that wasn't even the first game in the series, seeing as it is 25 years old. You're gonna have to reach back a long, long ways and the only way to do that, realistically, is to buy yourself a PS3 and play through the Legacy Collection.

And even then, I think it would be difficult for you to comprehend the magic that those games were when they were first released.

I'd buy the HD Collection and play through it, I'm not sure you're missing that much in 4 apart from better controls man, the story can always be read up on or watched on YouTube. I highly suggest you play these games because they are fantastic. The series has been with me ever since I was 5 years old watching my brother play it then eventually me playing it. Never too late to enjoy a game as fantastic as this.

I'd play them as they was released, as everyone else has, even though not chronological, it still all fits in, if you want to truly experience MGS however, I strongly advise not looking at XBOX 360 as the console has not done fans justice by missing out on 2 key games, I would buy a PS3 as not only do you have access to MGS1 and MGS4, but you can also download the amazing MGS Database App which is kinda like an interactive almanac (free). The PSP games are also worth a play as well, if you were to skip any, Peace Walker is expendable as the entire story is built into Ground Zeroes.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan on getting a PS3, then wait until you do and get the Legacy Collection. It will have a code for MGS1, it has MGS 2 through 4, Peace Walker, and the version of MGS3 will have Metal Gear 1 & 2. You'll have everything you could want.

• 1 month later...

MGS:AC!D is the only game you need :D:D:D

Seriously though

story wise you only need to play mgs 3 and peacewalker before diving into ground zeroes and phantom pain... that being said you are gonna want to get MGS1 and MGS2 out of the way first because the controls have not aged well.