Sequels that you didn't like as much as the first game

LordBern

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sequels are supposed to expand on the original game and perhaps improve or tweek things. But DO they always improve upon the original? One of my favorite games is Oblivion, but I just didn't get the same warm and fuzzy feeling with Skyrim (even though I 100%'ed it...heh). Are there any sequels out there that you didn't like as much as the original?

I haven't had an opportunity to play Skyrim yet but just in case you were saying that Oblivion was the original ;>_> it's actually the forth release in the Elder Scrolls series but I get your point. It's like starting with Resident Evil 4 and not liking Resident Evil 5, 6 or other recent titles (obviously there were many games before all of these).

But this is often a problem with a lot of games, the sequels sucking. Here we go:

Devil May Cry 2 - One of the most popular examples by fans of the series, this one was horrible. DMC2 I mean. Everything about it was a colossal failure...the gameplay was shit, the story was shit and it just felt like needless "improvements" to DMC1 that came off as more of a broken prototype to the original game. DMC3? Fixed everything and was a hell of a lot more enjoyable. DMC4 built on this but has mixed reactions from fans...and of course there's the reboot dmc.

Resident Evil Gaiden - I would put RESurvivor but it's playable compared to this trash. And Gaiden isn't even canon...Survivor made it to the canon universe with RE0 but yeah...this was a portable release of the Resident Evil series starring the badass Barry Burton...and it's absolute crap. Sure Leon's in it but he's secondary. The gameplay is shockingly horrid, the way battles are handled is shit...I just don't like this game. But it's still in my large RE collection *shrugs*

Well...guess I don't have a lot to state. You see here I listed two games that are just unplayable for me...I can't even finish DMCHD collection because DMC2 is THAT BAD. To honestly say the sequel "sucks" on something, would require the game being bad. There are quite a few sequels that weren't as great as the original(s) but were still playable (and at least somewhat enjoyable) in their own right. Syphon Filter 3, later Resident Evil and Silent Hill titles, certain Final Fantasies, a few Kingdom Hearts titles...

I'm not going to list something unless I hate it .__. and some sequels far surpass the original. Gex: Enter the Gecko and the third release for example, far better than the original GEX in my opinion. Spyro 2 and 3, a little better than the first (though the first is still very good). The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask compared to OOT...I like it more than OOT but both are purely fantastic games.

Eh...you get the point.

Halo: Reach. Nowhere near as fun in Halo 3 in every area.

Modern Warfare 2. There's a great game hidden somewhere in here, but its buried beneath the shitty community, glitches and exploits.

Left 4 Dead 2. I think it improved on the original alot, but there's something about it that isn't as fun as the first game

Gears of War 3. I think the multiplayer improved vastly. But the campaign & Horde weren't as fun as Gears 2