A few questions from a Far Cry 2 player on the fence about buying?

Emcee Shadow

Im on the fence as to whether I should buy this one or not. I have played all the Farcry games (evolution is still my favorite) and Farcry 2 as well....... which is why im here now. I cancelled my pre order a few months ago after seeing the trailers and watching the main character pop mushrooms and seeming to rescue his girlfriend or something like that.

1. Far Cry 3 isn't about looking for a girl while popping shrooms in the jungle is it (Quest line story question, im aware of the open world side things to do)?

2. In Farcry 2, I had the most difficult time killing enemies, a quote from farcry 2 forums that I posted a few years ago:

I'd like to add: why does it take so much to kill off a enemy? I know its a game but, honestly, a spas shot to the chest 10 feet away doesnt even make them stumble!? I grabbed the spas after i was tired of being pinned down in a village FULL of bad guys shooting at me and wanted to "destroy" them. Every gun that i play with has a problem putting guys down =\.

p.s. I know headshots are 1 hit killers but, when a truck pulls beside you and a turret ripping you to shreds, who has time to line up a headshot?

This is one thing I'd like to know if it got addressed? Is it still as difficult to kill people?

3. Is there still safe houses spread around? If so, do enemies respawn at them if you've been away for a while? Do enemies respawn at other places you've ran through clearing out?

4. Is there still weapon leveling in solo? Are enemy weapons still able to shoot you with amazing accuracy from across the map?

5. Do enemies still pop up out of nowhere on a jeep with turret and pin you down? Are the enemies still able to detect you while being stealthy?

6. Are you able to choose who your character is? If so, are there many choices?

7. Lastly, Is there malaria or anything like this?

I know its a lot to ask but, im the kind of person that likes to know more about the product before buying (in this case, even more so after playing Far Cry 2). Thank you for any answers :)

Well I've just start playing , but here some answers :

First of all , until the 31th EBgames offering 30% off Ubisoft game , so you can grab it for 40$

1. The shrooms stuff you saw is probably one of the main mission where you need to retrieve shrooms for a guy that rescue one of your friend.

Storyline look like you need to rescue your friend that have been captured.

2. I've played far cry 2 for about 1hrs , It didn't attract me at all .

But the bad guys aren't that hard to kill , most of the time it's a 1 shot with a sniper and with the shotgun I haven't had difficult killing bad guys. I'm more scare of the creature (leopard ,tiger , bear) that are in the jungle

3.The safe house are outpost that you need to capture (killing enemy before they raised the alarm , if they do more enemy are coming). Then the area is covered by good guys , it's pretty rare that bad guys pop out , since it's like the area change red to green

4. Weapons don't level up , but there's upgrade you can buy , red dot , extra ammo , silencer

5. Enemy do travel in jeep , but they only travel on the route , so if you stay in the grass you won't encounter enemy , except the wildlife animal

6. You only have 1 choice of character , unless you play in co-op , then there's 4 people(I think) (story take place 1 years before the solo playthrough)

7. So far I've played , no malaria of some kind of illness that need you to treat in order to not die.

Im on the fence as to whether I should buy this one or not. I have played all the Farcry games (evolution is still my favorite) and Farcry 2 as well....... which is why im here now. I cancelled my pre order a few months ago after seeing the trailers and watching the main character pop mushrooms and seeming to rescue his girlfriend or something like that.

1. Far Cry 3 isn't about looking for a girl while popping shrooms in the jungle is it (Quest line story question, im aware of the open world side things to do)?

2. In Farcry 2, I had the most difficult time killing enemies, a quote from farcry 2 forums that I posted a few years ago:

This is one thing I'd like to know if it got addressed? Is it still as difficult to kill people?

3. Is there still safe houses spread around? If so, do enemies respawn at them if you've been away for a while? Do enemies respawn at other places you've ran through clearing out?

4. Is there still weapon leveling in solo? Are enemy weapons still able to shoot you with amazing accuracy from across the map?

5. Do enemies still pop up out of nowhere on a jeep with turret and pin you down? Are the enemies still able to detect you while being stealthy?

6. Are you able to choose who your character is? If so, are there many choices?

7. Lastly, Is there malaria or anything like this?

I know its a lot to ask but, im the kind of person that likes to know more about the product before buying (in this case, even more so after playing Far Cry 2). Thank you for any answers :)

You realize there are video reviews for video games on the internet that could answer all of your million questions right? You even went so far as to quote yourself bitching about a four year old game. I'm all for being informed before making a purchase but did you even attempt to seek out the answers to these questions at all before this post? Damn.

You realize there are video reviews for video games on the internet that could answer all of your million questions right? You even went so far as to quote yourself bitching about a four year old game. I'm all for being informed before making a purchase but did you even attempt to seek out the answers to these questions at all before this post? Damn.

And you would be who? The forum police... let the moderators do their job, we have enough hall monitors here.

And to the OP, this is a def buy with no complaints. If your looking for easy cheevos, you can 1000 this game is 30-40 hrs easy. And the story is pretty good in itself.

I really wanted to thank you guys for the quick responses. With those questions being answered I think I'll go ahead and pick it up tomorrow on my way home. Thank you Darkcrown, Ill stop at gamestop for the discount. Thank you guys!

Also, to walter, I appreciate your response and looked through this forum as well as others and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. The video reviews seemed to reveal subtle spoilers and didn't compare the 2nd game in the detail I was looking for. I enjoy this website and respect the gamers opinions here and knew that I would find what I was looking for. Thank you

i have never played far cry 1 or 2 besides using the map editor at a friends house on 1, so i really can not answer some or most of the questions.

1. There are safe houses around the map and enemies do not respawn at them(at least they didnt for me).

2. There isnt any solo weapon lvling, instead you buy the weapon at the safe house(or can wait till its free after activating towers) and then from there you can buy attachments and camos for it.

3. The only time you come across enemies on the roads is if your in an area that you havent liberated the outpost(s) and if you do come across those enemies they are pretty easy to deal with.

Overall I think that this is a really good game and worth the $60 just buy the single player alone. I have only played 1 co-op match and no multiplayer but seeing as how the co-op was set up which is the same as multiplayer it just makes the game even better.

No malaria, no more guns degrading and breaking. Better gun aiming and easier enemies to kill. My favorite new part is the fast travel between safe houses.

This is what turned me off from playing through more then what I did on Far Cry 2. Far Cry 3 is what it should be and I'm still have not completed it but so far it's awesome.

This is what turned me off from playing through more then what I did on Far Cry 2. Far Cry 3 is what it should be and I'm still have not completed it but so far it's awesome.

Same here man! I never bothered with the other two games simply because of how much backlash it got on almost every aspect of the game.

Having only played about 3 hours of the Story, since I wanted to get Co-Op outta the way first, it's simply amazing. Ubisoft did a fantastic job.

Even though the OP has already made up his mind about purchsing it, I just wanna add in that you'll love it and realize it's so much better than the previous installments.