Jonathan / Julius Concerns

So, I've just about wrapped up my main character and am interested in getting the ball rolling on a new one. Jonathan is actually the next who interests me the most but I have some concerns picking him up due to the upcoming DLC.

With Julius being released with a whip that can swing in 8 directions and able to swing on magnets do you guys see Jonathan being a waste of time?

Just like to hear some thoughts, opinions, or info that I may not have heard yet regarding Julius.

Thanks.

I'd like to mention one thing off the bat, I haven't used Jonathan yet, so let that color my review as it will.

I think right now, there's just not enough information to really see how Jonathan would be outdated by it. For example, it could be similar to his playstyle in Aria or Dawn, in which he has only a few subweapons, making Jonathan, ultimately, the more versatile character with more subweapons and martial arts. Or, perhaps, that could balance them out - Jonathan has more versatilety with subweapons, where Julius is virtually all whip.

As for the magnets, I think that's just a nice throwback to the early games; as someone who rarely uses Shanoa, there's only a few times I'm looking at those magnets and wishing I were someone who could scale them. Handy, but I don't think of it as a deal breaker one way or the other. For all we know, scaling magnets as Julius could have a steep learning curve.

I think I'm using the word 'could' a little too often. It's just speculation, but I'm still excited to see Julius playable. So far, I don't think that would really make Jonathan expendable, though.

So, I've just about wrapped up my main character and am interested in getting the ball rolling on a new one. Jonathan is actually the next who interests me the most but I have some concerns picking him up due to the upcoming DLC.

With Julius being released with a whip that can swing in 8 directions and able to swing on magnets do you guys see Jonathan being a waste of time?

Just like to hear some thoughts, opinions, or info that I may not have heard yet regarding Julius.

Thanks.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care for the two of them at all. Jonathan annoys me and Julius doesn't have the same appeal as Richter or Simon. It makes me wonder why the two of got passed up. I mean they already have Richter's sprites converted into a DS format and I doubt it would be hard to do the same for Simon's PS1 sprites. Hell, they could even expand on Leon's sprite from Portrait of Ruin and add him.

Whatever... anyways, I don't think Jonathan would be over shadowed. I think it would come down to taste.

I think part of the reason for that is Julius' big moment of killing Dracula, in what I personally imagine to be nullifying most of his powers, throwing him out of his tower, and fighting the final form hurtling towards the ground in freefall, all happens offscreen. We hear about how he killed Dracula for good, but he's really just relegated to support. Just wish the man would get his own game.